Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, June 17, 2019, 10:47am
1st round draw is on thursday. Regionalised. This year its being drawn in a morrisons supermarket🥳🥳
Posted by: Helgy, June 17, 2019, 11:20am; Reply: 1
It’s a crap competition , away teams get 40% of the gate money after expenses.
Can see most lower league clubs losing money hosting it.
With Zero prize money until the Semi losers get a paltry £25k winners £50k.
Winner at Wembley gets £100k.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, June 17, 2019, 11:28am; Reply: 2
The FA and the League need to put this cup out of its misery.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, June 17, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 3
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
The FA and the League need to put this cup out of its misery.

It is a point I think which might be debated at the top level soon. The top sides already treat the competition with disdain for the most part. Arsenal for example always used to treat it as a reserve competition until the semis/final even when we played there back in 2001.

Would it also bring back some glamour/prestige to the FA cup if it was scrapped?

I know Guardiola takes it seriously enough, but then again he tried to claim to Charity Shield should count as a major trophy  ;D.

Maybe he should be part of the draw for this taking place in Morrisons.  
Posted by: Barrattstander, June 17, 2019, 12:56pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

I know Guardiola takes it seriously enough, but then again he tried to claim to Charity Shield should count as a major trophy  

The German, Italian and Spanish leagues all have an equivalent "Super Cup" to the Charity Shield which are considered to be major trophies, maybe it needs renaming.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 17, 2019, 1:09pm; Reply: 5
I always look at it this way I believe the competion was originally introduced as an extra to give smaller sides the chance for more revenue and the chance of a 2 legged glamour tie? This has been watered down over the years to the point only the Semi`s are 2 legged with a Wembley Final . When the Season kicked off you had 2 domestic cups and a title you could win if you were in the top 2 divisions . Enter the FL Trophy for the lower league clubs to give players and fans of smaller Clubs a chance of actually seeing their team play at the National stadium.

All this was fair enough now the powers that be have ruined the FA Cup with stupid kick off times and the scrapping of replays not to mention the greed and hypocrisy of Semi Finals being at Wembley when along with the cup Wembley was THE prize. The League Cup is as pointed out above now pointless and only Pep seems bothered about treating it with respect and their are no financial rewards either.

The FL Trophy has been corrupted by Mr Harvey and his Prem teams involvement so all in all the games far worse off now if you sit outside the top league than at any point previous :-/
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 17, 2019, 1:31pm; Reply: 6
I think the only way you're going to get any real interest in this competition around here, is if we draw Hull. It'll be the first competitive fixture between the 2 teams for over 20 years.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 17, 2019, 1:51pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin
I think the only way you're going to get any real interest in this competition around here, is if we draw Hull. It'll be the first competitive fixture between the 2 teams for over 20 years.

I agree, a sheff Wednesday, Rotherham Leeds etc wouldn't be a bad thing
Posted by: Tommy, June 17, 2019, 2:13pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Les Brechin

Hull away would be very appealing.
Posted by: RichMariner, June 17, 2019, 2:56pm; Reply: 9
"Right, we've sponsored this competition for a couple of years now, but still no fornicator knows what Carabao is."

"What shall we do, boss?"

"Well, we could make the draw down the fizzy drinks aisle of a UK supermarket and make sure the shelves are stocked full of Carabao."

"Get a pic of John Barnes with a trolley outside the store?"

"Now you're talking!"
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, June 17, 2019, 2:58pm; Reply: 10
Beat me to it Tommy!!!

We all know we only play Derby away in that Cup anyway  ;D ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, June 18, 2019, 12:05am; Reply: 11
Who dreams up this sh1t...... in a fking supermarket aisle ?  

Just when you think they cant possibly fck the game up any further or get even further away from the supporters....every person involved in making this happen should be given the chance to resign.... or ..... be shot live on the telly on the night as part of the build up to the draw.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 18, 2019, 12:15am; Reply: 12
I can't think what reindeer have got to do with supermarkets anyway. (no offence Moosey)
Posted by: Hagrid, June 20, 2019, 7:08pm; Reply: 13
Donny at home
Posted by: psgmariner, June 20, 2019, 7:28pm; Reply: 14
Good draw. Massive underdogs but they will bring a load so should be a good atmosphere and hopefully we can give them a decent game.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, June 20, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 15
Not a terrible draw, not great, they should bring a decent following at least
Posted by: Mallyner, June 21, 2019, 5:59am; Reply: 16
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I can't think what reindeer have got to do with supermarkets anyway. (no offence Moosey)

They only have the right to be there in the Caribou Cup.  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 21, 2019, 7:14am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Mallyner

They only have the right to be there in the Caribou Cup.  :)

Whoosh
Print page generated: May 23, 2024, 11:37am