Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: sutton mariner, November 19, 2018, 12:34pm
Has left by mutual consent.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 19, 2018, 12:39pm; Reply: 1
Thanks for all the memories Paul. I'll really miss you getting turned inside out by 4th rate cloggers all day long. What a waste of wages, and he's a former International? Incredible, without doubt one of the worst players I have ever seen impersonating a professional footballer. Russell Slade wants shooting for signing that clown on a two year deal. The mind boggles.
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 19, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 2

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/november/dixon-departs/
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 19, 2018, 12:42pm; Reply: 3
Making room for incoming great !!!!!
Posted by: moosey_club, November 19, 2018, 12:45pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Thanks for all the memories Paul. I'll really miss you getting turned inside out by 4th rate cloggers all day long. What a waste of wages, and he's a former International? Incredible, without doubt one of the worst players I have ever seen impersonating a professional footballer. Russell Slade wants shooting for signing that clown on a two year deal. The mind boggles.

Get off the fence and tell us what you really think .  ;D

What boggled the mind further is that it took RS ages to decide he was worthy, its not like he had one outstanding game on trial and we snapped him up , he was with us for several weeks and several games before RS decided he was good enough to warrant that length of deal.
Seem to recall another guy at the same time and same position who looked better to me but interest wasn't progressed.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 19, 2018, 12:50pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from fishboyUTM

bit over the top
Posted by: quebec38, November 19, 2018, 1:10pm; Reply: 6
Weren’t some impressed with him as a triallist before he signed?

On the whole a flop here but I hear he had things happening off the pitch which could quite easily have affected him.

A shame it never worked out for either party but I have no ill feelings towards him. Hopefully he can get back on track elsewhere.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 19, 2018, 1:13pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from moosey_club

Get off the fence and tell us what you really think .  ;D

What boggled the mind further is that it took RS ages to decide he was worthy, its not like he had one outstanding game on trial and we snapped him up , he was with us for several weeks and several games before RS decided he was good enough to warrant that length of deal.
Seem to recall another guy at the same time and same position who looked better to me but interest wasn't progressed.

Andrew Fox!

Looking at Dixon's pedigree he appeared a good signing. Only a couple of seasons previously he had played a lot of games at Championship level, been a Sccottish International, all the signs were positive. Havent looked back but suspect his signing was greeted favourably by fishy posters.
In practice he was a long way short of what was required. Gave oppponents far too much room to get crosses in and was extremely slow on the turn. If he did get forward he simply couldnt get back.

Who knows what the problem was (he was seperated from his wife and young family which cannot have helped) but he has proved very poor value for money.

We and he, move on
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 19, 2018, 1:14pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I wouldn't necessarily say he was one of the worst, I have seen some dross over the years especially some that Woods signed, but as a full back he was crap.
Posted by: monkeyboy, November 19, 2018, 1:16pm; Reply: 9
Good luck to him. Won't be remembered in years to come.
Posted by: Maringer, November 19, 2018, 1:22pm; Reply: 10
An honest enough pro, who clearly hasn't played to the standard he must have been able to in the past.

I think we're all happy enough to see him leave and he'll perhaps do better when he's back at a club up in Scotland, with his family.
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 19, 2018, 1:24pm; Reply: 11
I think we may see his name on here in a few years time on some sort of ‘worst 11’ thread. But in all fairness we were desperate for a left back at the start of last season and he came in and looked alright on trial, but once he started facing half decent wingers he was found out. But it wasn’t just when we didn’t have the ball that he wasn’t up to scratch, I’ve never seen a full back give away possession so much, even simple 10 yard passes inside.

That said, I wish him well. Maybe he’ll get himself sorted back north of the border.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 19, 2018, 2:01pm; Reply: 12
Funny but at Chesterfield in that opening game last season I thought we'd maybe got a good replacement in for Danny Andrew....nothing like how it panned out
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 19, 2018, 2:08pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from arryarryarry

I wouldn't necessarily say he was one of the worst, I have seen some dross over the years especially some that Woods signed, but as a full back he was crap.

We've had some shockers over the last few years. I've watched Town regularly since about 1987. I genuinely cannot remember a worse player than Paul Dixon. He was shocking and looked several leagues out of his depth. He got turned inside out, beaten for pace over short and medium distances, always blowing out of his bottom, couldn't pass the ball ten yards and fell over a lot.

I am delighted to see him gone, only bad side is he will have been paid off. He doesn't deserve a penny. How he's played at a higher level, and somehow played in the championship is beyond my understanding. Just 31 years old as well. He's definitely earned a starting place in my worst ever Grimsby eleven beating Menno Willems by some distance for the number 3 jersey.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 19, 2018, 2:15pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from fishboyUTM

We've had some shockers over the last few years. I've watched Town regularly since about 1987. I genuinely cannot remember a worse player than Paul Dixon. He was shocking and looked several leagues out of his depth. He got turned inside out, beaten for pace over short and medium distances, always blowing out of his bottom, couldn't pass the ball ten yards and fell over a lot.

I am delighted to see him gone, only bad side is he will have been paid off. He doesn't deserve a penny. How he's played at a higher level, and somehow played in the championship is beyond my understanding. Just 31 years old as well. He's definitely earned a starting place in my worst ever Grimsby eleven beating Menno Willems by some distance for the number 3 jersey.

thats one of the silliest statements on the fishy i've ever seen, i can name 20 30 worse than him
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 19, 2018, 2:29pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Hagrid

thats one of the silliest statements on the fishy i've ever seen, i can name 20 30 worse than him

I've tried Hagrid, but I cannot remember anyone worse. All about opinion of course. Can you name maybe half a dozen worse? I'd be interested.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 19, 2018, 2:32pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from monkeyboy
Good luck to him. Won't be remembered in years to come.

i think he will be!

there may have been many worse players than him over the last few years, but for someone to be that shiite with the pedigree he had, takes some doing
if there is such a category for an all time 'good pedigree but absolutely shocking' XI then he will be the first name on the team sheet
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 19, 2018, 2:33pm; Reply: 17
Rumoured to be signing for Brechin City.  ;)
Posted by: Cloudy, November 19, 2018, 3:24pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Les Brechin

You or Dixon?
Posted by: fiveallive, November 19, 2018, 3:25pm; Reply: 19
This should of happened in pre season to be honest we have left ourselves short hopefully Fox is back fit for most of the season now.

We had issues with FB's over the last few years, Hatton, Thomas and now Dixon all can't or family can't settle here. Along with the 20 goals a season man Butler.
Posted by: Tommy, November 19, 2018, 3:28pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from fishboyUTM

Willems was a central midfielder.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 19, 2018, 3:30pm; Reply: 21
He had some quite serious injury problems in 2015/16 at Huddersfield which was why he was available on trial. I would guess that these affected his performances. No point in bad-mouthing the bloke for trying to patch up his career at his age.  Maybe he should have been more honest with himself and the club and left in the summer, he might have picked up a club in Scotland and Town would have had a space for a LB but it’s history now.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 19, 2018, 3:31pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Cloudy

Andrew Fox!

n

Not unless Fox has had extensive skin whitening treatment and changed his name in the meantime...definitely not. I may have dreamt it but i am sure there was a slightly built left sided player on trial at the same time...he may have been a winger now i think of it.  :o
Posted by: Cloudy, November 19, 2018, 3:56pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from moosey_club

Not unless Fox has had extensive skin whitening treatment and changed his name in the meantime...definitely not. I may have dreamt it but i am sure there was a slightly built left sided player on trial at the same time...he may have been a winger now i think of it.  :o

Fox was on trial that summer but Slade went for Dixon instead. There was a young lad from down south (possibly ex Palace??) Jason Akiotu.
Posted by: wiggers, November 19, 2018, 3:56pm; Reply: 24
Maybe not the best but don’t feel he needs the slating he is getting on here. I would like to say thanks for the effort and all the best for the future.
Posted by: Cloudy, November 19, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 25
Wonder if that left back we had in the summer (played at Clee Town) from Burnley will be coming back?? Ali Koili?
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, November 19, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I've tried Hagrid, but I cannot remember anyone worse. All about opinion of course. Can you name maybe half a dozen worse? I'd be interested.

Peter Beagrie isn’t far off it not worse,
Posted by: Paris Mariner, November 19, 2018, 4:35pm; Reply: 27
He had an absolute blinder at Cheltenham last season to be fair!
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), November 19, 2018, 5:02pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from fishboyUTM

We've had some shockers over the last few years. I've watched Town regularly since about 1987. I genuinely cannot remember a worse player than Paul Dixon.

Des Hamilton
Posted by: denni266, November 19, 2018, 5:06pm; Reply: 29
Wish him well... He pulled on a town shirt , just did not work out for him or us , At least he can spend xmas with his family where he should be
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 19, 2018, 5:43pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from denni266
Wish him well... He pulled on a town shirt , just did not work out for him or us , At least he can spend xmas with his family where he should be

He could be the turkey in the middle of the table. He'll get carved up nicely enough.
Posted by: devs, November 19, 2018, 6:04pm; Reply: 31
Some on here just have to keep twisting the knife...
Very sad
Posted by: Vance Warner, November 19, 2018, 7:39pm; Reply: 32
A lot of people sprouting rubbish.
Posted by: fleabag1970, November 19, 2018, 7:43pm; Reply: 33
We have some vile supporters
Posted by: oochiad, November 19, 2018, 7:45pm; Reply: 34
Probably the same people who shout obscenities at our players whilst they’re playing during a match which really helps..........
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 19, 2018, 8:07pm; Reply: 35
Good luck for the future Paul - sadly Danny Andrew's boots were too big for you to fill but you don't deserve some of the bile spouted on here today.
Posted by: chaos33, November 19, 2018, 8:34pm; Reply: 36
Some spiteful people about. Sure, it hasn't worked out well but the club and the player have tried. Is there any need to lay into the fella?!?

He's hundreds of miles away from his little kids.
That must've been hard, especially when you're not playing. Can we have a bit of balance and human warmth? Seems it's better all round for this arrangement to take place - he can go home to Scotland and we can invest the financial saving.
Thanks and good luck to the player.

UTM.
Posted by: wigworld, November 19, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

Really? I heard Auchinleck Talbot.  ;)

Posted by: wigworld, November 19, 2018, 8:44pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from fleabag1970
We have some vile supporters

With very short memories!

Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 19, 2018, 10:43pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Tommy

Willems was a central midfielder.

So he's right then, he would beat Menno Willems for the number 3 shirt in the worst ever Town team.
Posted by: Davec, November 20, 2018, 8:05am; Reply: 40
We had many left backs on trial with Slade
Jamil Roberts from Plymouth
Andrew Fox
Paul Dixon
Jordan Mustoe
And then Jordan Aitkou came in later on and played in Disleys benefit game
Posted by: Mariner_09, November 20, 2018, 9:14am; Reply: 41
He was very poor. No doubt. He had no pace, he couldn't get up and down the line, was beaten too easily and gave the ball away very frequently. Sure we'll have come to some sort of settlement with him meaning we can potentially put it towards some penetrative players at the sharp end of the pitch.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), November 20, 2018, 9:49am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Mariner_09
He was very poor. No doubt. He had no pace, he couldn't get up and down the line, was beaten too easily and gave the ball away very frequently. Sure we'll have come to some sort of settlement with him meaning we can potentially put it towards some penetrative players at the sharp end of the pitch.

A player with his pedigree should have been better. Clearly he wasn't happy and something was affecting his game. I hope he sorts it.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, November 20, 2018, 9:54am; Reply: 43
Quoted from KingstonMariner

So he's right then, he would beat Menno Willems for the number 3 shirt in the worst ever Town team.

Got him mixed up with Fostervold, same era.
Posted by: rancido, November 20, 2018, 11:03am; Reply: 44
Surely it would be better directing all this bile towards the man who signed him in the first place.
Also, I have been watching town since 1966 and there have been many players much worse than Dixon who have played for GTFC. AB Mk3 signed a left back( whose name I can't recall ) and a centre back ( Heywood ? ) who were certainly worse than Dixon.

I wish Dixon well and hope he can find a club closer to home that suits him and his family.
Posted by: Maringer, November 20, 2018, 11:17am; Reply: 45
Was Dixon really much worse than Ridley, for instance?
Posted by: Paris Mariner, November 20, 2018, 11:24am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Maringer
Was Dixon really much worse than Ridley, for instance?

Or Ronnie Bull?
Posted by: Cloudy, November 20, 2018, 11:28am; Reply: 47
or John Duncliffe
Posted by: forza ivano, November 20, 2018, 11:52am; Reply: 48
yes, but they weren't full internationals with a solid Championship and Scottish Prem background.That's what's so disappointing
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 20, 2018, 11:57am; Reply: 49
Bit of a relief for both player and club that is the only way it feels to me.
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, November 20, 2018, 12:04pm; Reply: 50
I think some of the abuse Dixon is getting on here is a bit over the top in the circumstances.

It would be fair to say his performances were not up the the expectations of the fans for a player who has played in the Championship , SPL and for Scotland. Whatever the reasons were i dont know but his CV would suggest he was better than what we saw. i am sure he himself is disappointed with how it turned out. He's not that old tbf so i doubt it was just the fact he was past it. Perhaps other issues affected his play. But to call him one of the worst town players ever is a bit unnecessary.

At the end of the day he has agreed to leave and I wish him well wherever he ends up.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 20, 2018, 1:08pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
I think some of the abuse Dixon is getting on here is a bit over the top in the circumstances.

It would be fair to say his performances were not up the the expectations of the fans for a player who has played in the Championship , SPL and for Scotland. Whatever the reasons were i dont know but his CV would suggest he was better than what we saw. i am sure he himself is disappointed with how it turned out. He's not that old tbf so i doubt it was just the fact he was past it. Perhaps other issues affected his play. But to call him one of the worst town players ever is a bit unnecessary.

At the end of the day he has agreed to leave and I wish him well wherever he ends up.

I agree totally. Like I said before the lad had two bad injuries in the 2 seasons before he came and that is why he was allowed to leave Huddersfield and hawk his services round on trial. His pedigree is excellent, he is only 31 so obviously something has affected him physically and weakened his game. Slade needed time to think about it before signing him and hoping that the lad would play himself back to fitness because finding another Connor Townsend is not easy. His lack of pace and his slowness on the turn are giveaways to his physical problems. His family being in Scotland isn’t the cause, that is just the icing on the cake. It didn’t work out but the bloke gave it a shot and he doesn’t deserve the stupid and pig ignorant abuse from some posters on here.
Posted by: Mariner_09, November 20, 2018, 3:53pm; Reply: 52
I was always very weary of him. Signing out of contract players a week before the season starts suggests that nobody wants them and we're the only half wits that would take him.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 20, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 53
rumours on facebook that Fox might be leaving in January if not before. and that Robles may also be on the way out
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), November 20, 2018, 4:13pm; Reply: 54
Robles was an odd signing. Wonder what the story is?
Posted by: Cloudy, November 20, 2018, 4:13pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from forza ivano
rumours on facebook that Fox might be leaving in January if not before. and that Robles may also be on the way out

Dont think anyone would be surprised if Robles left but i wouldnt read too much into Facebook rumours tbh
Posted by: Youngy, November 20, 2018, 4:15pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from forza ivano

From what I understand, Fox's wife is from the states and his goal has always been to get a move across there and now he has an opportunity. Fair play to him if that's the case.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 20, 2018, 4:17pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Mariner_09
I was always very weary of him. Signing out of contract players a week before the season starts suggests that nobody wants them and we're the only half wits that would take him.

You were weary of him before he even arrived? You must have a very low boredom threshold. Maybe it's because you are super intelligent and are not one of the half-wits you mentioned.
Posted by: Nutsy, November 20, 2018, 5:51pm; Reply: 58
Two Words... Jamal Fyfield...
Posted by: wigworld, November 20, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Nutsy
Two Words... Jamal Fyfield...

Was he the idiot that pulled a knife on someone in training?

Posted by: Les Brechin, November 20, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from wigworld

Was he the idiot that pulled a knife on someone in training?

That was Lewis Gobern I think.
Posted by: chaos33, November 20, 2018, 10:20pm; Reply: 61

I agree totally. Like I said before the lad had two bad injuries in the 2 seasons before he came and that is why he was allowed to leave Huddersfield and hawk his services round on trial. His pedigree is excellent, he is only 31 so obviously something has affected him physically and weakened his game. Slade needed time to think about it before signing him and hoping that the lad would play himself back to fitness because finding another Connor Townsend is not easy. His lack of pace and his slowness on the turn are giveaways to his physical problems. His family being in Scotland isn’t the cause, that is just the icing on the cake. It didn’t work out but the bloke gave it a shot and he doesn’t deserve the stupid and pig ignorant abuse from some posters on here.

Good post
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 21, 2018, 3:44am; Reply: 62

Trouble was it wasn't just his physical presence on the pitch, half the time he appeared to be in dream land.
Posted by: pkscouse, November 21, 2018, 7:14am; Reply: 63
No wonder the poor bloke struggled - he got stick from the crowd about one minute into the game and some were on his back throughout . Diabolical abuse from certain idiots , Bet he cant wait to get away
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, November 21, 2018, 8:14am; Reply: 64
For a someone who had been capped by his country his positional sense would have graced Sydney park rather Blundell. I won’t miss him tbh but nowhere near the worse we’ve seen in this decade
Posted by: jimgtfc, December 5, 2018, 9:53am; Reply: 65
Signing for Falkirk apparently
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), December 5, 2018, 9:57am; Reply: 66
Quoted from jimgtfc
Signing for Falkirk apparently

Best of luck to him. Hope it works out.
Posted by: forza ivano, December 5, 2018, 3:23pm; Reply: 67
looks exactly the right level for him - heading to the Scottish 3rd tier!
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 7:01am