Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: buckstown, September 5, 2018, 9:10am
I very rarely look at the national league nowadays but in a moment of boredom last night noticed that the mighty Spireites lost for the 6th consecutive game last night. Turned over by the giants that are Boreham Wood.
The forum is a right chuckle if you've got ten minutes to spare. "Allen out" is at 14 pages and of course there is the mandatory "officials are crap" thread.
Welcome to the pleasure dome
http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=3

Nice to see Wrexham and Orient starting fairly well, proper football clubs
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 5, 2018, 9:16am; Reply: 1
Chesterfield are a proper club. I feel for their fans having to endure non league.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), September 5, 2018, 9:21am; Reply: 2
Still trying to get my head around the unstoppable rise of Harrogate Town. Fully deserved and their manager must be hot property, but I just cannot imagine them in the league.
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), September 5, 2018, 9:26am; Reply: 3
Just read the Chesterfield link by the way. Martin Allen must be wishing he'd stayed at Barnet. Sounds like his heart isn't in it.

Suspect they'll be there for some years.
Posted by: Grim74, September 5, 2018, 9:31am; Reply: 4
Good to see Harrogate doing well don’t know much about them but if they’re there purely because of hard sweat and graft then good luck to them, rather them then Salford F.C. anyday.
Posted by: mariner91, September 5, 2018, 9:47am; Reply: 5
Chesterfield are a proper club. I feel for their fans having to endure non league.

I don't after them Lording it over us the other year. Hope they rot in that league for a good few years.
Posted by: Maringer, September 5, 2018, 9:48am; Reply: 6
I think quite a few of the Conference clubs are spending a good bit of money these days - I think Boreham Wood are among those spending quite a bit! No idea about Harrogate, however. Fylde are spending lots but Sutton United are fan-funded (though their Cup run the other year probably helped a bit).
Posted by: Welwynmariner, September 5, 2018, 9:54am; Reply: 7
One of my mates is a Wrexham fan and let's not forget them from the "proper football club" category.

Pearson and Summerfield turned out for them and Dayle Southwell played for Halifax. I see Leyton Orient have Matt Harrold, Joe Widdowson and Craig Clay playing for them. Quite a lot of ex-Mariners to keep an eye on.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 5, 2018, 10:46am; Reply: 8
Harrogate have been well backed and loss making for years, I believe.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, September 5, 2018, 10:49am; Reply: 9
Quoted from 140381
Still trying to get my head around the unstoppable rise of Harrogate Town. Fully deserved and their manager must be hot property, but I just cannot imagine them in the league.

To be fair Harrogate (If you include Knaresborough) has a population of around 90k. They've got a pretty big catchment area. There isn't a single league club in North Yorkshire. Bradford City is the nearest club to them and that's nearly an hour away. If they get into the League they'll just keep on growing.
Posted by: Cloudy, September 5, 2018, 10:52am; Reply: 10
Quoted from 140381

They seem to have kicked on since Macca left ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, September 5, 2018, 11:18am; Reply: 11
Quoted from horsforthmariner

There isn't a single league club in North Yorkshire.

Middlesbrough ;)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 5, 2018, 11:31am; Reply: 12
Harrogate like to play attacking football.   They certainly score a lot of goals.  (And easily beat York last season, who are a proper club).
Posted by: MarinerGaz, September 5, 2018, 12:00pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Welwynmariner
One of my mates is a Wrexham fan and let's not forget them from the "proper football club" category.

Pearson and Summerfield turned out for them and Dayle Southwell played for Halifax. I see Leyton Orient have Matt Harrold, Joe Widdowson and Craig Clay playing for them. Quite a lot of ex-Mariners to keep an eye on.

Used to work with a big Wrexham fan, often came close to accidentally smashing his FA Trophy winners mug! It's usually a good laugh playing the "my team's older than yours" game and seeing shocked faces when our history is googled, but he obviously had a slightly bigger boast. Hope they do well, they're a proper (fan owned) club, would be nice to make trips there again.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 5, 2018, 1:13pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from horsforthmariner

To be fair Harrogate (If you include Knaresborough) has a population of around 90k. They've got a pretty big catchment area. There isn't a single league club in North Yorkshire. Bradford City is the nearest club to them and that's nearly an hour away. If they get into the League they'll just keep on growing.

Isn't Leeds' Elland Road slightly closer than Valley Parade (or whatever it's called these days) to Harrogate?
Posted by: Meza, September 5, 2018, 1:54pm; Reply: 15
"We played in patches..... Its just a blip"

Take care MA
Posted by: Townee82, September 5, 2018, 2:19pm; Reply: 16
I actually miss us playing traditional league clubs Wrexham , York , ect i struggle with the likes of Macclesfield and Wycombe , I remember when Barrow and Workington graced the football league .
Posted by: mimma, September 5, 2018, 3:57pm; Reply: 17
I went to Bradford to watch Town play Bradford Park Avenue in the league. Dougie Collins got sent off for tw@ting one of their players. Late 60s. One of the Town directors came out after the game and put some money in to buy drinks on the coach home!
Posted by: Mikoo, September 5, 2018, 4:17pm; Reply: 18
Boreham Wood got to the PO Final last season, don't think they're too well backed and believe they're semi-pro? (or just turned pro)

What they do have is a brilliant young manager in Luke Garrard, only 32 and been there 3 years. Wouldn't be surprised to see him managing in the championship within 5 years
Posted by: devs, September 5, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 19
MIddlesborough is North Yorkshire
Posted by: moosey_club, September 5, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 20
I wonder if Allen will announce his own departure in his own style ;

He's a slightly mental manager on a downward career spiral. Goodbye.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, September 5, 2018, 6:20pm; Reply: 21
When you have fans like this on their messageboard, I feel quite happy that Chesterfield are getting shafted over by so called smaller clubs.(thumbup1)
Quoted from Chesterfield Forum
I suppose there is a certain level of satisfaction that we can shaft little tinpot teams like Grimsby the same way teams like Wigan can shaft us.
http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=57687&st=0&p=1213027&#entry1213027
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 5, 2018, 9:09pm; Reply: 22
Of course you feel for the genuine fans of Chesterfield, however I remember on more than a few forums they loved it when we went out of the league citing us a horrible club with horrible fans good riddance and the like, then when we got back in the league slating us as being tinpot. Well fcuk those fans, they will have to earn their way back out of toughest league to get out of in modern football, and I'll forget about them until they make it back  ;D.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 5, 2018, 9:49pm; Reply: 23
Yep. No doubt there's some cnuts who have earned the derision. Just some mind.

Still funny though.  ;D
Posted by: Townee82, September 6, 2018, 5:33am; Reply: 24
Quoted from devs
MIddlesborough is North Yorkshire

Teesside isn't it ?if that is a county ,I'm not sure .
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 6, 2018, 6:25am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Townee82

Teesside isn't it ?if that is a county ,I'm not sure .

It's in North Yorkshire now, they moved all the county borders a few years ago and that meant borough moved into North Yorkshire
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, September 6, 2018, 6:27am; Reply: 26
Crazy how people still underestimate the national league, despite so many well established former league clubs struggling to get back out. Us even managing the playoffs four seasons in a row was pretty miraculous, many clubs cant sustain the promotion push every season
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 6, 2018, 7:15am; Reply: 27
Apparently, Middlesbrough isn't in a county!!

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/what-county-is-middlesbrough-in/2584429
Posted by: lukeo, September 6, 2018, 7:17am; Reply: 28
I hope Wrexham continue and get back on top I've put them in my lucky 15 to win the league (mainly because they have Pearson and Summers)
Posted by: chaos33, September 6, 2018, 7:23am; Reply: 29
I thought Middlesbrough (and Teesside in general) were technically in Cleveland, or did that go when Humberside went? Middlesbrough was in North Yorkshire many moons ago, so maybe it's back in?

Anyway - talking of North Yorkshire - Harrogate doing brilliantly. They are the closest club to where I live and my kids were born in the town, so it'd be great if they were promoted, although I have no plans to make my lad into a Harrogate fan. As has been said - they have achieved their current position with skill and hard work and not money. Whether they'll maintain a top 2 spot, I don't know.
I think promotion might require some stadium work on their part though.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 6, 2018, 9:00am; Reply: 30
Quoted from chaos33
I thought Middlesbrough (and Teesside in general) were technically in Cleveland, or did that go when Humberside went? Middlesbrough was in North Yorkshire many moons ago, so maybe it's back in?

Anyway - talking of North Yorkshire - Harrogate doing brilliantly. They are the closest club to where I live and my kids were born in the town, so it'd be great if they were promoted, although I have no plans to make my lad into a Harrogate fan. As has been said - they have achieved their current position with skill and hard work and not money. Whether they'll maintain a top 2 spot, I don't know.
I think promotion might require some stadium work on their part though.

Cleveland was abolished in 1996 according to wiki and as per my previous link, Middlesbrough, now, in not offically in any county.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 6, 2018, 9:20am; Reply: 31
Surely a 'unitary authority within North Yorkshire' counts as North Yorkshire?  :-/

(What's a unitary authority?)
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 6, 2018, 9:38am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Abdul19
Surely a 'unitary authority within North Yorkshire' counts as North Yorkshire?  :-/

(What's a unitary authority?)

Quoted Text
Middlesborough is technically not in any county. It was historically part of the North Riding of Yorkshire, but became part of The County Borough of Teeside in 1968 and then part of Cleveland in 1974. Cleveland was abolished in 1996 and Middlesborough became an unitary authority within the county of North Yorkshire for postal and ceremonial purposes.

So that's really saying that Middlesbrough is now in North Yorkshire but it's not really in North Yorkshire, if that makes any sense!  ??)
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, September 6, 2018, 11:50am; Reply: 33
Quoted from 140381

££££ that’s all it is, no different to the Salford’s, Fylde’s or Forest Green’s.

Manager won’t ever get sacked as his Dad is the owner.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, September 6, 2018, 11:57am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Les Brechin

So that's really saying that Middlesbrough is now in North Yorkshire but it's not really in North Yorkshire, if that makes any sense!  ??)

Rather like Grimsby being in North East Lincolnshire but not in Lincolnshire itself.

Or Harrow being in Middlesex - a county which hasn't existed for over 50 years and yet still plays in the cricket County Championship?.

Kingston Mariner will no doubt say something about Kingston-upon-Thames not being in Surrey even with Surrey County Council's County Hall being in the middle of the town?
Posted by: barrattstandman, September 6, 2018, 12:28pm; Reply: 35
Middlesex DOES exist . It is just that the County Council was abolished in 1965.
Posted by: Maringer, September 6, 2018, 2:09pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Les Brechin
Middlesbrough, now, in not offically in any county.

Nowhere wants them. ;)
Posted by: Paris Mariner, September 6, 2018, 3:58pm; Reply: 37
So what constitutes a proper club then? An independent football club which has existed for any amount of time...?
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 6, 2018, 5:53pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Paris Mariner
So what constitutes a proper club then? An independent football club which has existed for any amount of time...?

Ones from before 1900 in my book.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 6, 2018, 6:15pm; Reply: 39
That rules out Leeds then, which works for me
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, September 6, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 40
Middlesbrough is in the ceremonial county of North Yorkshire, much as we're in Lincolnshire but the administrative entity is the Unitary Authority of North East Lincolnshire.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 6, 2018, 9:40pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Abdul19
That rules out Leeds then, which works for me

And Hull, Chelsea, and Spurs.  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 6, 2018, 9:49pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Welwynmariner

Rather like Grimsby being in North East Lincolnshire but not in Lincolnshire itself.

Or Harrow being in Middlesex - a county which hasn't existed for over 50 years and yet still plays in the cricket County Championship?.

Kingston Mariner will no doubt say something about Kingston-upon-Thames not being in Surrey even with Surrey County Council's County Hall being in the middle of the town?

Correct. It's a London Borough in local government admin terms. Surrey postal address, and cricket allegiance. Most of the town centre is KT1 postcode, but Hampton Wick (a double-double entendre) also KT1 is over the river in Middlesex. Confusing innit.
Posted by: wigworld, September 6, 2018, 10:35pm; Reply: 43
I used to live near Kingston Upon Thames. Once unwisely cycled across Bushey Park without realising it was deer rutting season. Never made that mistake again. (cross)(eek)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 6, 2018, 10:45pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from wigworld
I used to live near Kingston Upon Thames. Once unwisely cycled across Bushey Park without realising it was deer rutting season. Never made that mistake again. (cross)(eek)

It probably wasn't a good idea to be wearing those Rudolf antlers from Christmas.  ;)
Posted by: Paris Mariner, September 7, 2018, 2:23pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from monkeyboy

Ones from before 1900 in my book.

#Lolz
Print page generated: May 23, 2024, 10:12pm