Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Alfie, February 20, 2018, 10:19pm
“At some point you have got to make a decision... whatever happens it would be a massive wrench to leave the football club.”

http://bit.ly/2Gys5Ip

;)
Posted by: horsforthmariner, February 20, 2018, 10:26pm; Reply: 1
Cheers for this - it sounds like he could be coming - I for one would be happy with this appointment
Posted by: chaos33, February 20, 2018, 10:27pm; Reply: 2
Hmmm....

Not the most articulate manager I've ever heard but feel the quality of tonight's result for them...
Posted by: AdamHaddock, February 20, 2018, 10:29pm; Reply: 3
No "I haven't heard anything from Grimsby" or "I'm just concentrating on the job in hand"
Posted by: MarinerDevil, February 20, 2018, 10:30pm; Reply: 4
The interview didn't really suggest anything for me.  If it is true that Brown was our first choice then I don't think Askey will be in advanced discussions yet, if indeed he is a target.  All he did was comment on how nice it is to be linked with a club higher up.  

Hope you're right though; of all the candidates mentioned, Askey would be my preference.
Posted by: H19P1, February 20, 2018, 10:31pm; Reply: 5
Sounds like our man then?

Why would he want to is what's going through my mind
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 20, 2018, 10:32pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from chaos33
Hmmm....

Not the most articulate manager I've ever heard but feel the quality of tonight's result for them...

That's exactly what I thought but you can't argue with his record at Macclesfield this season........could he be any worse than our last 3 managers (including Wilko)

Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 10:33pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from H19P1
Sounds like our man then?

Why would he want to is what's going through my mind

A regular budget and a wage packet might appeal.
Posted by: Alfie, February 20, 2018, 10:35pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from chaos33
Hmmm....

We after a football manager or a politician?

Wasn’t Hursty a “boring Yorkie” on the radio too...? Who cares?

He’s the best of a bad bunch imo. Could be a lot worse.
Posted by: H19P1, February 20, 2018, 10:36pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from ginnywings

That'll do it fella. Let's see what tomorrow brings
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), February 20, 2018, 10:37pm; Reply: 10
I’d be very concerned on the strength of that interview if I was a Macc fan
Posted by: Alfie, February 20, 2018, 10:38pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ginnywings

Also worth noting they took their biggest away crowd of the season tonight for a north west match vs second... less than 400.

He must see the potential with our almost free slate in the summer.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 20, 2018, 10:38pm; Reply: 12
Well that sounds like he's a real contender.

Cracking result away for Macc. And look at the crowd at Tranmere! More than twice what we get. I know it's a localish derby but it's a Tuesday night.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 20, 2018, 10:40pm; Reply: 13

Key for me was .......he didn't say he wasn't interested in the job   ;)
Posted by: ginnywings, February 20, 2018, 10:43pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Well that sounds like he's a real contender.

Cracking result away for Macc. And look at the crowd at Tranmere! More than twice what we get. I know it's a localish derby but it's a Tuesday night.

Aye, but the league you are in matters not when there's a top spot on offer, and Tranmere are a giant in that league. Macc have just beaten both their closest rivals away from home, scoring 6 goals in the process. If you look at the league, Tranmere have scored more goals than them and conceded less, yet are 7 points behind. That suggests Tranmere blow hot and cold, but Macclesfield are very consistent.
Posted by: 99agrant, February 20, 2018, 10:59pm; Reply: 15
Sounds promising and would be an excellent appointment for us. Far better than Brown in my opinion.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, February 20, 2018, 11:05pm; Reply: 16
Sounds like he's interested, would be happy with him in charge..Go get him Fenty!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 20, 2018, 11:09pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from ginnywings

Aye, but the league you are in matters not when there's a top spot on offer, and Tranmere are a giant in that league. Macc have just beaten both their closest rivals away from home, scoring 6 goals in the process. If you look at the league, Tranmere have scored more goals than them and conceded less, yet are 7 points behind. That suggests Tranmere blow hot and cold, but Macclesfield are very consistent.

But ask yourself why we're not winning. And why we're not doing better crowdwise regardless of result (if you can remember us winning).
Posted by: forza ivano, February 20, 2018, 11:11pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Alfie
“At some point you have got to make a decision... whatever happens it would be a massive wrench to leave the football club.”

http://bit.ly/2Gys5Ip

;)

Ooooh! Hello!  No denial of interest from gy, no denial of an approach, nothing about enjoying the job, concentrating on the next game, I'm happy where I am etc etc etc

Sounds very interesting.

Thanks for putting that up allies

PS macc fans who've heard the interview now sounding worried (for the first time )that he's on his way
Posted by: Harry Haddock, February 20, 2018, 11:33pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from promotion plaice

Key for me was .......he didn't say he wasn't interested in the job   ;)

Me too... and he talked about leaving the club at some point.

fingers crossed
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, February 21, 2018, 12:38am; Reply: 20
The significant point about his success is that it's the Macc squad of players doing the business.Could he achieve the same success with Towns squad in a higher league? - that is the big question.Does he have any experience of our league? As we saw with Bignot coming from the lower leagues ,previous success means nothing at this level. Be careful what you wish for!
Posted by: ginnywings, February 21, 2018, 12:47am; Reply: 21
You can make a case for and against any manager you care to name. None of them come with guarantees.
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, February 21, 2018, 12:55am; Reply: 22
My point is that he's got a good squad working for him at Macc but he would not have the chance to do anything about changing Towns poor squad for the better .Silk purses and sows ears spring to mind. If I were him I would stay put and get the promotion first ( and retain a good squad).
Posted by: ginnywings, February 21, 2018, 1:07am; Reply: 23
My point is that he's got a good squad working for him at Macc but he would not have the chance to do anything about changing Towns poor squad for the better .Silk purses and sows ears spring to mind. If I were him I stay put and get the promotion first ( and retain a good squad).

It takes more than a good squad though doesn't it? You still have to organise them into a cohesive unit. If he has spent most of his time there on a shoestring budget, he must be good at getting the best out of players. They always gave us a good game whenever we played them.
Posted by: lukeo, February 21, 2018, 2:57am; Reply: 24
One thing I didn't realise is Maccs are struggling to pay their players and staff. Could be a big factor to play, being garentueed to be paid will be a big plus for him.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 21, 2018, 3:25am; Reply: 25
My point is that he's got a good squad working for him at Macc but he would not have the chance to do anything about changing Towns poor squad for the better .Silk purses and sows ears spring to mind. If I were him I would stay put and get the promotion first ( and retain a good squad).

That will be the case for whoever takes the job on.
So you are saying that nobody decent should take the job. ??
We don’t know what they have been promised for the summer.
A confident person would (and probably will) keep us up.
Yes, still stuck with a few of the current squad. But if told that he could get some reasonable players of his own choice in the summer. Aim for a top half finish next year.  Then the following season would be all his own squad, with a promotion push expected.

If they don’t think they can do that, I don’t want them in the job !!
Posted by: chaos33, February 21, 2018, 6:34am; Reply: 26
He has 6 months FL management experience, ten years ago, and  no promotions or trophy wins up to this point even though he's in his 50's. He didn't get the Port Vale or Wrexham jobs. Does he have the right kind of FL quality player connections given that he's spent almost all of his career with one club at a league below ours? Just making the points and asking the questions, that's all. He might be a brilliant appointment. If we were preparing for a season in the conference then he'd be the man to appoint wouldn't he, but for a league club that wants to survive and then try to get promoted...?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 21, 2018, 6:53am; Reply: 27
Quoted from chaos33
He has 6 months FL management experience, ten years ago, and  no promotions or trophy wins up to this point even though he's in his 50's. He didn't get the Port Vale or Wrexham jobs. Does he have the right kind of FL quality player connections given that he's spent almost all of his career with one club at a league below ours? Just making the points and asking the questions, that's all. If we were preparing for a season in the conference the he'd be the man to appoint wouldn't he, but for a league club that wants to survive and then try to get promoted...?

That Macc team he as now would smash us to pieces built on a budget of 2 and 6, the league below top half wise all of them would compete in our league
Posted by: chaos33, February 21, 2018, 7:17am; Reply: 28
That's probably correct
Posted by: LH, February 21, 2018, 7:37am; Reply: 29
A fairly impressive win percentage of 39% since 2013 and a decent record in the cups in that time too. I was sceptical but he looks fairly good on those records. Fully expect Town to name Wilkinson as manager now I’ve said that.
Posted by: lukeo, February 21, 2018, 7:41am; Reply: 30
Avoid relegation and try get promoted next season?.. I think a few of us need to wake up and smell the coffee. Budget wise we're probably closer to the bottom of this league than the top. I think we're going to have to settle for mid table finishes at best for a few years unless Fenty makes a good appointment who somehow changes alot about this club and playing staff
Posted by: oldun, February 21, 2018, 8:01am; Reply: 31
A very calm interview after a good win. Quietly understated and a level tone. I liked it. Difficult for him as he has been there for a long time.
Posted by: MarinerMal, February 21, 2018, 8:01am; Reply: 32
Why so negative lukeo?

I'm not sure where our budget sits in comparison with the rest of the league but it seems Askey has taken Macclesfield top on next to no budget, so he sounds like the ideal candidate given your concerns.

There are no guarantees with any manager but as long as we get some decent stuff to watch @ BP again, I certainly won't complain about a few season of mid table while he builds the squad he needs.
Posted by: MrsMariner, February 21, 2018, 8:09am; Reply: 33
Quoted from promotion plaice

That's exactly what I thought but you can't argue with his record at Macclesfield this season........could he be any worse than our last 3 managers (including Wilko)

His record at Macclesfield this year is all well and good but similar to Paul Hurst it's taken him 5 years to get to this stage. Unfortunatley we haven't got 5 months let alone 5 years we need a quick fix can he produce that ?
I see he got the job after the grim reaper struck again a 3-1 win for us in 2013
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, February 21, 2018, 8:12am; Reply: 34
Quoted from MarinerMal
There are no guarantees with any manager but as long as we get some decent stuff to watch @ BP again, I certainly won't complain about a few season of mid table while he builds the squad he needs.

I would complain. Think we need ambition beyond midtable. ..it's a poor division making slade's achievements in packing the squad whilst ignoring the talent and failing tactically even worse. E.g. Luton at home.   We should be in the playoffs and I dare say should be with jones clements and maybe 2 signings instead of multiple loans and hooper, cardwell etc..
Posted by: chicaneuk, February 21, 2018, 8:17am; Reply: 35
Quoted from MrsMariner

His record at Macclesfield this year is all well and good but similar to Paul Hurst it's taken him 5 years to get to this stage. Unfortunatley we haven't got 5 months let alone 5 years we need a quick fix can he produce that ?
I see he got the job after the grim reaper struck again a 3-1 win for us in 2013

Don't we need to accept our situation and simply deal with it as best we can? Yes we need a quick fix, but given our current position, no manager (unless they're supremely confident and like a challenge) would be coming anywhere near us right now - yes we have history, but that counts for nothing when we've gone through several managers in the last couple of years, the fans are at massive odds with the club, the players aren't performing, and we're getting dangerously close to falling back into non-league. If we manage to land a manager like Askey, then I think we've done pretty well for ourselves - and whatever will be, will be this season, good or bad. Navel gazing about the dreadful decision to appoint Slade achieves precisely nothing.. it's done. It's history. Time to move on. Our reality is what it is.
Posted by: Garth, February 21, 2018, 8:21am; Reply: 36
I think a top model Audi type lease car would ease the travelling with an attractive paid salary guaranteed, and the challenge to resurrect a fallen star should be too much to resist, after all look at Hurst career since he joined us.
The guys not getting younger by the day, has become part of the furniture there and seems to be taken for granted by their owners, has to be a better low risk opportunity for him here surely.

He who dares!
Posted by: buckstown, February 21, 2018, 8:22am; Reply: 37
It didn't sound like a man who's about to jump ship after so many years as player and manager.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 21, 2018, 8:28am; Reply: 38
Interesting that he described us as a bigger club. He's clearly got a decision to make as why else would he talk about it being a wrench to leave the club.
Posted by: Garth, February 21, 2018, 8:30am; Reply: 39
Quoted from buckstown
It didn't sound like a man who's about to jump ship after so many years as player and manager.

Hmm! loyalty sounds great but does not cut it at Tesco checkout when the person on the till expects money.

Its his choice onwards and upwards with us, or wait and see UTM
Posted by: Tommy, February 21, 2018, 8:58am; Reply: 40
There's a tendency for people to look at win percentages and trophies/promotions, but I don't think that's always a great indicator.

For me, you've got to look at the resources available at the Club they're at/they've been at. The realisitic expectations and budget in relative to the level they're at.

Take Cowley at Lincoln for example. No idea what he did before Braintree but if you look at what he did there. Got in the conference play offs (after finishing higher than ourselves), with a team with a low budget for the league and achieved far above expectations.

So people might say Askey hasn't won promotions. Or has lower win percentage than others. But if he's not at a club expected to be at the top of the league then he's not underachieving.

So maybe it's better to judge on what a Manager is achieving based on expectations and level of budget, than just looking at stats.
Posted by: MarinerMal, February 21, 2018, 9:49am; Reply: 41
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

I would complain. Think we need ambition beyond midtable. ..it's a poor division making slade's achievements in packing the squad whilst ignoring the talent and failing tactically even worse. E.g. Luton at home.   We should be in the playoffs and I dare say should be with jones clements and maybe 2 signings instead of multiple loans and hooper, cardwell etc..

I don't think giving the manage sometime to build a squad is a bad idea. Of course we want to be involved in the promotion picture but i think we need to reassess where we are currently and where we've come from in recent years. A period of stability would be welcome at this club atm.

Giving a manager a little bit of time while watching some decent football as oppose to the hoofball we've had to suffer lately would be a welcome change for me. Let's hope the new manager avoids relegation and pushes for the title next season. That would be great. But if he doesn't, as long as we are playing some decent stuff, that would do for me until we have a squad to challenge.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 21, 2018, 9:57am; Reply: 42
Quoted from MrsMariner

And like Hurst he would be taking over a team in the league above in threat of relegation with no experience at that level.

Who's to say he cannot do for Grimsby Town what Paul Hurst has done for Shrewsbury?
Posted by: MrsMariner, February 21, 2018, 10:19am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

And like Hurst he would be taking over a team in the league above in threat of relegation with no experience at that level.

Who's to say he cannot do for Grimsby Town what Paul Hurst has done for Shrewsbury?

Good point not many of us thought Hurst would keep Shrewsbury up let alone challenge for promotion the following season so you never know. May be like Hurst he's served his apprenticeship and he's ready for something bigger.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 21, 2018, 11:12am; Reply: 44
Quoted from MrsMariner

Good point not many of us thought Hurst would keep Shrewsbury up let alone challenge for promotion the following season so you never know. May be like Hurst he's served his apprenticeship and he's ready for something bigger.

I see Hurst is bemoaning the Shrews fans for their criticisms and the lack of numbers going to the games. I cannot understand that he doesn't know by now that all clubs' fans are fickle. He never is going to get great attendances at Shrewsbury as it isn't a traditional football hotspot.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 21, 2018, 11:19am; Reply: 45

I see Hurst is bemoaning the Shrews fans for their criticisms and the lack of numbers going to the games. I cannot understand that he doesn't know by now that all clubs' fans are fickle. He never is going to get great attendances at Shrewsbury as it isn't a traditional football hotspot.

And even if you are winning, dull football is still dull. They don't score many.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 21, 2018, 11:19am; Reply: 46

He’s starting to get edgy after this great start probs cos Rotherham seem to be steaming on and obviously the 2 big lancs clubs still going good    Still over achieving though at such a small club
Posted by: davmariner, February 21, 2018, 11:21am; Reply: 47
https://www.mtfc.co.uk/news/12-games-to-go

Macclesfield statement.
Posted by: MrsMariner, February 21, 2018, 11:42am; Reply: 48
A forward thinking board already offering extra discount on purchases of season tickets for next season ready to cash in on promotion, something we failed to do
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 21, 2018, 12:11pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from davmariner

£400 for an adult’s Season ticket in the conference?
Posted by: davmariner, February 21, 2018, 12:13pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Tinymariner

£400 for an adult’s Season ticket in the conference?

Read the article and you may well stumble across the relevant paragraphs.
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, February 21, 2018, 4:57pm; Reply: 51
Trying to get the coffers in early to offer Askey a bonus to stay maybe?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 21, 2018, 7:30pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from MrsMariner

Askey has got half or probably less than half what Hurst had in the Conference.
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 2:55am