Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 18, 2018, 9:44pm
The team from 10 years ago just before our demise 2 years later.

League 2 Grimsby Town  46 15 10 21 55 66 (-10) 55pts (16th position)

Better, worse or just as bad (league appearances and goals that season including subs appearances for those who played in 10 or more league games):

Barnes (42)

Newey (42-1 goal)   Boshell (40-6 goals)   North (27- 9 goals)
Fenton (42-2)          Hunt (37)                     Taylor (26-5)
Bennett (40-1)         Bolland (35-4)             Butler (21-6)
Atkinson (24-1)       Till (34-2)                     Rankin (17)
Clarke (29-2)           Hegarty (30-4)
Whittle (18-1)          Toner (30-3)
Hird (17)                  Bore (17-2)

Posted by: Father Christmas, February 18, 2018, 9:47pm; Reply: 1
Was it true that Barnes was missing a finger?
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 18, 2018, 9:49pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Grimbiggs
The team from 10 years ago just before our demise 2 years later.

League 2 Grimsby Town  46 15 10 21 55 66 (-10) 55pts (16th position)

Better, worse or just as bad (league appearances and goals that season including subs appearances for those who played in 10 or more league games):

Barnes (42)

Sad to say but that team would urine all over our current squad.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 18, 2018, 10:02pm; Reply: 3
We're in some sort of time trap vortex. Perhaps Stephen Hawking could sort us out.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 18, 2018, 10:05pm; Reply: 4
If we finish the season like that team did we're in (even more) trouble
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 18, 2018, 10:09pm; Reply: 5
It's frightening when you look at that team on paper, which I think was average at best, and the amount of goals in it (19 goals from those midfielders alone), compared to what we've got now!
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 18, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 6
That team is way better than what we got now.
Posted by: TAGG, February 18, 2018, 10:25pm; Reply: 7
Ten year ago 5 - 0 Current Team
God help us
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 18, 2018, 10:25pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Grimbiggs

Barnes (42)

What I'd give to have some of those players now, Newey, Fenton, Sgt Whittle, Bennett and Atkinson, Bolland, North.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 18, 2018, 10:27pm; Reply: 9

What I'd give to have some of those players now, Newey, Fenton, Sgt Whittle, Bennett and Atkinson, Bolland, North.

I'd even take Hegarty over either Woolford or Kelly.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 18, 2018, 10:27pm; Reply: 10
Shame Fenton was given a free transfer and replaced by Heywood/Hope.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 18, 2018, 10:31pm; Reply: 11
Hang on, that list is missing the best player of them all. The sort of striker we have been missing for God knows how long.
Posted by: LH, February 18, 2018, 10:36pm; Reply: 12
Please don’t post stuff like this make me miss distinctly average players over the current dross. I’ve not played a game of 11-a-side in about 7 years, suffer with runner’s knee and drink far too many units per week but I still fancy that I’m a better footballer in the majority of positions than the current squad.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 18, 2018, 10:54pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from LH
Please don’t post stuff like this make me miss distinctly average players over the current dross. I’ve not played a game of 11-a-side in about 7 years, suffer with runner’s knee and drink far too many units per week but I still fancy that I’m a better footballer in the majority of positions than the current squad.

Me and my bro were discussing the parlous state of footballers now, and we both agreed that either of us, or some of the players we played with could control and pass a football better than some pro's seem to be able to nowadays. I'm absolutely certain that either of us could hit a better dead ball than some of the players we have had in recent years.

There were some Sunday League players around when i was playing who would have a fair chance of getting into our team right now, and i'm being deadly serious. The standard now is shocking.
Posted by: LH, February 18, 2018, 11:02pm; Reply: 14
It’s evident in this thread. Danny Boshell was one of the weakest footballers I’d seen at Town when we had him - I’d have him back here in a flash now. 6 goals from centre midfield in an average season for us - 6 more than the current lot have got.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 18, 2018, 11:14pm; Reply: 15
Yeah, it's shows the demise of football further down the league's in just a decade, i'm almost certain this current side would have got relegated 10 years ago. Having seen Danny North play a handful of times this season for Clee Town, i'm sure if he was still training full-time he would still get in this side, what a sorry state of affairs it is.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 18, 2018, 11:30pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'd even take Hegarty over either Woolford or Kelly.

I'd take Hegarty in the side full stop. Under-rated player. And a real trier. We could do with that Heggativity now.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 19, 2018, 12:52am; Reply: 17

Justin Whittle was a fantastic player .....not in the same class as Chris Nicoll or Kev Moore but still a great servant for Town.
Posted by: RexFannies, February 19, 2018, 1:10am; Reply: 18
I can not ever remember a time following Town that I actually didn't have a favourite player. There are none at the moment.
Posted by: Kris2, February 19, 2018, 3:00am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Abdul19
Shame Fenton was given a free transfer and replaced by Heywood/Hope.

Knew it was the beginning of the end after watching those two play. Would probably fit right in with the team we have right now. Slow,incapable of doing anything but hoofing the ball and barely resembling a footballer.

Heywood is one of if not the worst player we've ever had imo not including loans.
Posted by: SheepGTFC, February 19, 2018, 3:10am; Reply: 20
Quoted from arryarryarry

Sad to say but that team would urine all over our current squad.

Sorry but apart from Bennett and Newey that squad is gash. I think both the current and this squad are as dire as each other personally.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 19, 2018, 6:01am; Reply: 21
Quoted from SheepGTFC

Sorry but apart from Bennett and Newey that squad is gash. I think both the current and this squad are as dire as each other personally.

I remember Newey mouthing off to the fans , maybe it’s that Grimsbyitis the gimps talk of
Posted by: golfer, February 19, 2018, 7:11am; Reply: 22
It is not so much that we are now a bad team it's the fact that every team we play now is world class in league 2. You can  now see why all other teams in our division spend millions on getting a team that is world class-it is nothing to do with managerial expertise-I can see us going places. ??)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 19, 2018, 10:40am; Reply: 23
That's a fairly shite squad as well. It is tiny when compared to this one though. I think this squad is way more expensive as well. Money should have been spent on improving that squad, instead it got worse.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 19, 2018, 11:37am; Reply: 24
Quoted from RexFannies
I can not ever remember a time following Town that I actually didn't have a favourite player. There are none at the moment.

That is a very very good, and sadly accurate, observation.

Posted by: Gaffer58, February 19, 2018, 11:45am; Reply: 25
If you watched any of Rochdale yesterday they played a decent type of football and they are bottom of league 1, obviously with a few games in hand, so how many would the scunts beat us by at the moment?
Posted by: RoboCod, February 19, 2018, 11:52am; Reply: 26
I see little difference between the two teams. The team from then was poor with just a bit of talent spread throughout the team. But lacking passion and care for their club, as displayed at Burton on that day.
This team is the same, perhaps lacking a little more in skilled/experienced players (as our last boss showed them the door), and should we face another 'Burton' we'll see them fold again, and those with any modicum of talent will ride off into the sunset to the new club that their agent has prepared for them weeks in advance. Again.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 19, 2018, 12:00pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from RoboCod
I see little difference between the two teams. The team from then was poor with just a bit of talent spread throughout the team. But lacking passion and care for their club, as displayed at Burton on that day.
This team is the same, perhaps lacking a little more in skilled/experienced players (as our last boss showed them the door), and should we face another 'Burton' we'll see them fold again, and those with any modicum of talent will ride off into the sunset to the new club that their agent has prepared for them weeks in advance. Again.

That`s NOT the team from Burton Robo or anything like it.Whilst not the best that side at least tried and had plenty of willingness and a good sprinkling of youth.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 19, 2018, 12:13pm; Reply: 28
This team TRIES though Mickey.  The first 10-15 minutes of almost every game shows that. The team that went down tried, and succeeded at home to Barnet with a tense but superb win. And that was that.  I doubt this team could win that game, or possibly WILL win it when we meet Barnet again soon.
But yes, the balance and setup of this current team is much worse, however the sum total is virtually the same.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, February 19, 2018, 12:18pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from RoboCod
This team TRIES though Mickey.  The first 10-15 minutes of almost every game shows that. The team that went down tried, and succeeded at home to Barnet with a tense but superb win. And that was that.  I doubt this team could win that game, or possibly WILL win it when we meet Barnet again soon.
But yes, the balance and setup of this current team is much worse, however the sum total is virtually the same.

Could well just be hindsight but both the two other horror teams could score goals and you can see that within the squad.Someone did a midfield comparison and I cant see a goal in this midfield at present.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 19, 2018, 3:15pm; Reply: 30
Whilst that team from 10 years ago was very average, at least it produced 19 goals from the midfielders mentioned, I doubt this current midfield will reach double figures between them by the end of the season.
Posted by: Grimbiggs, February 24, 2018, 6:25pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Could well just be hindsight but both the two other horror teams could score goals and you can see that within the squad.Someone did a midfield comparison and I cant see a goal in this midfield at present.

Totally agree, whilst that midfield wasn't great, as I mentioned in another post they managed to score goals.

Well at least Berrett had a shot today, even if it did go 20 foot over the bar ;D
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 2:04pm