Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 24, 2017, 8:39am
Anyone seen any deals actually worth looking at?
Posted by: Grim74, November 24, 2017, 10:04am; Reply: 1
GTFC  0.5M
Posted by: Maringer, November 24, 2017, 11:31am; Reply: 2
Depends what sort of deal you're looking for, I suppose.

I'm on the lookout for a new phone, with a better camera. Just trying to decide whether to get another Chinese import or not.

Vodafone are doing a good deal on the Galaxy S8 with 6GB of data making the phone effectively around £400, but the fingerprint sensor on the phone is in such a stupid position that I've had to rule it out. I'd be dropping it every time I tried to unlock it. A pity because otherwise it looks a really good phone. The camera on my wife's S7 is really good.
Posted by: Tommy, November 24, 2017, 12:06pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Maringer
Depends what sort of deal you're looking for, I suppose.

I'm on the lookout for a new phone, with a better camera. Just trying to decide whether to get another Chinese import or not.

Vodafone are doing a good deal on the Galaxy S8 with 6GB of data making the phone effectively around £400, but the fingerprint sensor on the phone is in such a stupid position that I've had to rule it out. I'd be dropping it every time I tried to unlock it. A pity because otherwise it looks a really good phone. The camera on my wife's S7 is really good.

I've got the S8 and don't use the fingerprint sensor as it's quicker and easier to use the "iris recognition" to unlock it.
Posted by: bax, November 24, 2017, 12:14pm; Reply: 4
Up to 50% off tickets at The Baths Hall, 30 shows in the sale

https://goo.gl/C6X3zV
Posted by: Maringer, November 24, 2017, 12:38pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Tommy

I've got the S8 and don't use the fingerprint sensor as it's quicker and easier to use the "iris recognition" to unlock it.

My concern is that I'd look a bit of a pillock lifting the phone up in front of my face which I understand is the way you're supposed to do the unlock! Let's face it, most of the time when you check your phone, you're looking down at it towards waist height. Not sure how much leeway there is in the accuracy of the Iris unlock system if you're not holding it up.
Posted by: Tommy, November 24, 2017, 4:34pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Maringer

My concern is that I'd look a bit of a pillock lifting the phone up in front of my face which I understand is the way you're supposed to do the unlock! Let's face it, most of the time when you check your phone, you're looking down at it towards waist height. Not sure how much leeway there is in the accuracy of the Iris unlock system if you're not holding it up.

Yeah i know what you mean, but it picks up your eyes from about a foot and a half, as long as your eyes are near enough in the 2 circles that appear on the screen. You can still use a pin code or pattern swipe though - half the screen at the bottom lets you key in your 4 digit pin to unlock and the top half of the screen is to guide you for the iris recognition. So if you don't want to faff about with looking at it you can just put your number in.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 28, 2017, 9:43am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Maringer

You don't actually have to have it held up at your face, most of the time it unlocks as soon as you pick it up and look at it.
Posted by: Maringer, November 28, 2017, 1:10pm; Reply: 8
I decided against an S8 in the end (the good deal I'd found became less good to a degree). Ended up going a bit bigger and getting a Huawei Mate 10 Pro (the name doesn't exactly slip off the tongue), again with Vodafone, so I hope their network is decent in N.E. Lincs. First time I've ever used their network though I know lots haven't been very complimentary about it!

A relatively expensive deal, but free Spotify for the 2 years of the contract effectively means it is £240 cheaper and the phone will be in the £400 range once this and contract itself are taken into account. Not a bad deal, I think.

Hopefully Spotify will link in well with the Amazon Echo at home to make it worthwhile!
Posted by: Rick12, November 30, 2017, 7:20am; Reply: 9
From what Ive read black Friday is a con. Discounts on selected goods eg 10-15%
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 30, 2017, 4:44pm; Reply: 10
Never mind Black Friday, what about Black Tuesday.
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 12:53am