Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Ipswin, November 10, 2017, 11:54am
Sir Matt mentioned on 'This Morning' as part of the Alan Shearer interview about dementia. Very very sad clip of an interview by Shearer with his wife May with Matt virtually unrecogniseable sitting quietly in a chair in the background, absolutely heartbreaking.Needs to be told where he is and when to go to bed etc. could have wept for my hero

Not sure but maybe more or might be on again on Sunday in the programme about Shearers tests etc
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 10, 2017, 12:46pm; Reply: 1
So sorry to hear that,  Matt a Town legend
Posted by: cannylad68, November 10, 2017, 12:52pm; Reply: 2
Matt more than a legend, one of the greats.
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 10, 2017, 1:01pm; Reply: 3
Not one of the greats,THE GREATEST.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 10, 2017, 1:12pm; Reply: 4
There's a BBC item about this on this link where Shearer mentions spending time with Mary and Matt and also mentions another former Mariners favourite Chris Nicholl. Very sad to hear that Matt no longer remembers the great memories he had and gave the supporters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41902953
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 10, 2017, 2:03pm; Reply: 5
Matt Tees is my all time favourite player, so it is sad that in old age he has dementia.

If he could remember though, I bet he wouldn't change a thing.

He had a life and career that few people can have, and unfortunately we all get old and poorly, sometimes exacerbated by the profession we choose. My old dad was in a terrible state when before he died with the effects of being a deep sea trawler man, but he said he would go through it all again because he loved it so much, no matter what it brought in later life.

I guess that would be the same with Sir Matt. I hope so.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 10, 2017, 2:07pm; Reply: 6
Something to think about the next time we're moaning because no one gets up to head in from a corner.  :(

If I had to pick out two players for their heading ability at Town over the years I've been watching Tees and Nichol would have been them.
Posted by: Simariner, November 10, 2017, 2:10pm; Reply: 7
Its so sad to see.
I'm going through all of this currently with my dad. Some days he doesn't recognise me and he now struggles to communicate. Dementia has taken control of him so quickly and its pretty hard to see your love ones like this.
I'm not a big fan of Alan Shearer but I support him on everything that he is trying to do and reach out for help and support
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 10, 2017, 2:29pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Something to think about the next time we're moaning because no one gets up to head in from a corner.  :(

If I had to pick out two players for their heading ability at Town over the years I've been watching Tees and Nichol would have been them.

Kev Moore too. Whether that had any link to his later illness that sadly took his life far too early, I don't know.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 10, 2017, 2:37pm; Reply: 9
Could the fans and club not come together to arrange something for Matt? Maybe a Legends game or the like, with players from the 71-2 squad there to maybe help rekindle some meories for a truly great player and a gentleman to boot? Devastated to hear just how bad his condition is. :'(
Posted by: Perkins, November 10, 2017, 2:40pm; Reply: 10
Unfortunately not the only Town player to have suffered from Dementia with possible links to football, George McClean, Graham Rathbone, Don Donovan, Ron Cockerill.
So sad.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 10, 2017, 3:07pm; Reply: 11
It said in that clip Les that Matt Tees is 6ft 4in, that is wrong,

He was not even 6 ft but he could out jump a defender that was 6ft 4in  8)
Posted by: Maringer, November 10, 2017, 3:11pm; Reply: 12
Tees was before my time, but you just have to hope that the modern lightweight balls which don't become so heavy and waterlogged will mean that modern day and more recent professionals won't suffer these illnesses in the same way.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 10, 2017, 3:15pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Maringer
Tees was before my time, but you just have to hope that the modern lightweight balls which don't become so heavy and waterlogged will mean that modern day and more recent professionals won't suffer these illnesses in the same way.

The old leather ball were bloody awful to head when wet and muddy,

No wonder I have lost half of my brain cells.
Posted by: tarka, November 10, 2017, 3:23pm; Reply: 14
I am so sad to hear this - Matt was one of my first great heroes. As Pete says he wasn't very tall but could climb above giant centre halves. I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years ago and he seemed a quiet, pleasant and modest man. I hope he and Mrs Tees receive the support and care they require at this awful time.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 10, 2017, 4:14pm; Reply: 15
Matt was part of my growing up years. I was there when he made his home debut after being signed from Airdrie and saw most of his greatest games in the 60s and 70s. My tutorial folder at uni was emblazoned with a “Matt Tees For King” logo and of course no-one had any idea who he was.  ;D

I was heartbroken when Matt and Rod Green and Charlie Wright, Matt’s brother-in-law, left for Charlton. I was elated by the Second Coming of the Messiah when Bobby Kennedy re-signed him. A few years later I met Matt in person when he was helping out for Geoff Bartholomew at Discoveries where his lads were playing. His sporting attitude was a big contrast to some of the other “expert coach” parents.

He is a great bloke and was a marvellous player. I don’t know if dementia is football related, the only ones in my family to suffer were female. His condition must be devastating for the family. They will be suffering at least as much as Matt.  The only consolation I realised from my family is that when someone has dementia they don’t really know too much about it and that is the greatest blessing.
Posted by: Chips44, November 10, 2017, 4:22pm; Reply: 16
Some years ago , my Auntie was in Grimsby Hospital with problems caused by dementia.  
Whilst visiting I noticed a powerfully built man who was obviously a fellow sufferer ,
I was told it was Alec "Ginger" Hall.  One of Town's greatest ever!  
Posted by: Badger57, November 10, 2017, 4:26pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from grimsby pete

The old leather ball were bloody awful to head when wet and muddy,

No wonder I have lost half of my brain cells.

Especially if the wet lace hit you! If you was lucky it just left an imprint in your forehead and if you wasn't you might get a nasty cut!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 10, 2017, 4:28pm; Reply: 18

He is a great bloke and was a marvellous player. I don’t know if dementia is football related, the only ones in my family to suffer were female. His condition must be devastating for the family. They will be suffering at least as much as Matt.  The only consolation I realised from my family is that when someone has dementia they don’t really know too much about it and that is the greatest blessing.

You are right that dementia sufferers do not know much about it,

Before I retired I did some work in a dementia wing of a residential home looking after them, I thought I might need help one day so I have the time I should give as much help to them while I can,

Sadly they do not know from one minute to the next what is happening around them  but in themselves most of them seem happy with their lot most of the time.

You do get the odd exception though and some can be violent, one night while I was trying to change a man who had wet himself he thumped me on the chin , after I had finished and he was in a nice dry bed he rubbed my arm and said he loved me.. Bless. 8)

Posted by: Badger57, November 10, 2017, 4:30pm; Reply: 19
"Matt Tees, Matt Tees, born is the king of Blundell Park!"
'nuff said? :o
Posted by: Ipswin, November 10, 2017, 4:48pm; Reply: 20
Named my lad after him. The greatest ever no doubt! Could have wept when I saw him this morning.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, November 10, 2017, 4:58pm; Reply: 21
Watched him score at the Osmond end in a pre-season friendly against Leicester City on his debut within 10 seconds of kick off. A tremendous player and a gentleman. Sad to hear. An all time great for me.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, November 10, 2017, 5:01pm; Reply: 22
Watched him score in a pre-season friendly against Leicester City within 10 seconds on his debut. A lovely man and an all time greate in my book. So sad to hear.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, November 10, 2017, 5:01pm; Reply: 23
Watched him score in a pre-season friendly against Leicester City within 10 seconds on his debut. A lovely man and an all time greate in my book. So sad to hear.
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 10, 2017, 6:24pm; Reply: 24
That clip about Shearer at Matts house has just been shown on BBC News
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 10, 2017, 6:27pm; Reply: 25
I once took Mrs Tees to the Gables Country club at Laceby,

Come to think I took all the Town players wife's there,

When I was Bus driving. ;)
Posted by: Ipswin, November 10, 2017, 6:29pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from grimsby pete
That clip about Shearer at Matts house has just been shown on BBC News

Very painful viewing wasn't it Pete?

I hope Matt's wife is getting help to care for the great man and isn't trying to cope alone

Posted by: grimsby pete, November 10, 2017, 6:34pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Ipswin

Very painful viewing wasn't it Pete?

I hope Matt's wife is getting help to care for the great man and isn't trying to cope alone

Very sad Swin can the Trust organise a collection for his care,

He deserves that from us at least for all the good memories he has given us.
Posted by: denni266, November 10, 2017, 6:59pm; Reply: 28
He was a class player in the air.. defenders shook when he came for a header.. seemed to just hang in the air waiting for the ball . so sad he cannot remember..
Posted by: Teesknees, November 10, 2017, 7:35pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from denni266
He was a class player in the air.. defenders shook when he came for a header.. seemed to just hang in the air waiting for the ball . so sad he cannot remember..

I spoke to a Charlton fan once who said he'd never seen a better header of the ball!

Not only did he seem to jump higher than defenders and hang there, I seem to remember he would hurl himself horizontally to head the ball rather than use his feet! Also a dab hand at winning penalties! I think the power behind his headers sticks in my mind!

Posted by: Ipswin, November 10, 2017, 8:09pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from grimsby pete

Very sad Swin can the Trust organise a collection for his care,

He deserves that from us at least for all the good memories he has given us.

Difficult to pick out one ex-player suffering difficult times but if anyone deserves it Matt and May certainly do (A contribution from the Trust would be a better use of any cash than giving it to Fenty!)

That said it is a delicate one - not to insult or damage pride, but I would certainly like a Trust rep to ask if there is any area (not necessarily money) where Mary could do with help. Just a simple enquiry by the Trust representing all Grimsby Town fans, if only to show we care, would I am sure mean a lot.
Posted by: MarinerMart, November 10, 2017, 8:12pm; Reply: 31
Had the pleasure of seeing him play. Best striker I've seen at GTFC.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, November 10, 2017, 11:02pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Ipswin

Difficult to pick out one ex-player suffering difficult times but if anyone deserves it Matt and May certainly do (A contribution from the Trust would be a better use of any cash than giving it to Fenty!)

That said it is a delicate one - not to insult or damage pride, but I would certainly like a Trust rep to ask if there is any area (not necessarily money) where Mary could do with help. Just a simple enquiry by the Trust representing all Grimsby Town fans, if only to show we care, would I am sure mean a lot.

Totally agree  my childhood hero think it would be great gesture
Posted by: pizzzza, November 10, 2017, 11:33pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Ipswin

Absolutely, hopefully someone from the Trust can make this happen.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 11, 2017, 5:02am; Reply: 34
I saw this and there may be a link there boxers to get a pounding to the head and a case as been put forward for that as well but without heading the game would be a sad spectacle. Sorry for Shearer and especially sir Matt he was my all time favorite town player and a really nice guy.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 11, 2017, 5:35am; Reply: 35
I saw Matt Tees score in my first ever match at BP, Tuesday 7th September 1966, we beat Scunthorpe 7-1.

I saw him return to BP on the 7th November 1970 against Cambridge United with over 3,000 fans added to the gate from the previous match, we won 2-0 with Matt scoring one of them.

I watched him get that hat trick in the first game of the 71/72 season beating Scunthorpe again, this time 4-1 and saw just about every goal he scored after that home and away including one in that famous last match of the season against Exeter.

I have seen what I would class as some really great players turning out in the black & white stripes over the past 51 years but when I am asked who was my all time favourite player, the answer every time is Matt Tees.

My thoughts are with Matt and his family.
Posted by: A Brace Of Tees, November 11, 2017, 8:35am; Reply: 36
Agree with all of this. One of my earliest heroes whose heading ability was almost supernatural.

And remarkably he looked nothing like a professional footballer! Love this extract from McMenemy's book:

"I took a deep breath and entered the dressing room. I thought a sea mist had swept in. It wasn't unusual on the coast but in this case I looked toward the corner of the dressing room and saw one of my new players smoking a pipe. It turned out the player was Matt Tees. He was a Scot, a scrawny, skinny sort, a pipe-smoker who looked like a puff of wind would blow him over."

I know the word legend gets overused these days, but this man will forever be in our hearts - and deservedly so.
Posted by: Mallyner, November 11, 2017, 8:58am; Reply: 37
Very sad news indeed.

I remember being in the Osmond stand that amazing night, when he rose like a leaping gazelle to score against Exeter.
Posted by: tarka, November 11, 2017, 9:23am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Ipswin

I would wholeheartedly agree with this. Could Dave Boylen enquire perhaps?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 11, 2017, 9:31am; Reply: 39
Quoted from arryarryarry
I saw Matt Tees score in my first ever match at BP, Tuesday 7th September 1966, we beat Scunthorpe 7-1.

I saw him return to BP on the 7th November 1970 against Cambridge United with over 3,000 fans added to the gate from the previous match, we won 2-0 with Matt scoring one of them.

I watched him get that hat trick in the first game of the 71/72 season beating Scunthorpe again, this time 4-1 and saw just about every goal he scored after that home and away including one in that famous last match of the season against Exeter.

I have seen what I would class as some really great players turning out in the black & white stripes over the past 51 years but when I am asked who was my all time favourite player, the answer every time is Matt Tees.

My thoughts are with Matt and his family.

Matt was before my time but it's sad to see anyone suffering from dementia, must also be very challenging for their close relatives. I certainly wish him and his wife well.

BTW, the 7 - 1 versus Scunny was Clemence in goal that night?    
Posted by: Ipswin, November 11, 2017, 9:42am; Reply: 40
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Matt was before my time but it's sad to see anyone suffering from dementia, must also be very challenging for their close relatives. I certainly wish him and his wife well.

BTW, the 7 - 1 versus Scunny was Clemence in goal that night?    

He certainly was - Hill 3, Green 3 and the great Sir Matt got the other. My best memory is his hat-trick v the Scunts in the 4-1 win in the first game of the 1971/2 season. Scunts at home first up and we stuffed 'em - just knew it was going to be a great season. Matt got both goals when we beat them away too!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, November 11, 2017, 9:51am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Ipswin

He certainly was - Hill 3, Green 3 and the great Sir Matt got the other. My best memory is his hat-trick v the Scunts in the 4-1 win in the first game of the 1971/2 season. Scunts at home first up and we stuffed 'em - just knew it was going to be a great season. Matt got both goals when we beat them away too!

Superb, I doubt there are many times when 2 Town players have scores hat tricks in the same game, then again Hannah at Alferton, Podge a couple & Omar versus "them" apart not sure how many Town players have scored hat tricks in the last decade,

Thought the Trust making contact with Matt's family was a good idea.  
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 11, 2017, 11:15am; Reply: 42
How about commissioning a painting of Matt at his best,I am sure it would bring him some pleasure.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, November 11, 2017, 11:25am; Reply: 43
Couldn’t find a video of it. Found this though, Nobby Stiles fallen victim too. ☹️

https://twitter.com/bbcsport/status/928865084079710208
Posted by: mariner91, November 11, 2017, 11:51am; Reply: 44
Matt was way before my time but I have heard of him, as I'm sure just about every Town fan has. It's really heartbreaking to see the difficulties that former players and their families have to contend with daily from this often overlooked disease. It's particularly sad because the game probably at least accelerated their decline yet back in the day these players were getting normal wages, they don't have the money available for the expensive care they now need. It would be terrific if the English game, awash with billions of pounds, could find some money to help those who gave so much joy to supporters who love football and now find themselves needing a helping hand. Sadly, I doubt this will happen. Hopefully Shearer's documentary tomorrow will highlight the need that these families have and raise awareness. Maybe then people will start asking en masse why the FA isn't doing more to help them.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, November 11, 2017, 2:06pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Ipswin

I remember that game. What a match for a Town supporter. I never saw anyone in the air like him - and he wasn't tall either. Seemed like he was suspended in the air. The game that i remember most of those days from that time was when we got a home tie against Wolves with the great Andy Gray playing for them. I don't remember the score but we won and i can still see Matt scoring that header for us.What an atmosphere at that game  

Dementure and all those dieases which take your memory away scare me most of all. I keep on fogetting my own kids names at times and while everyone has a laugh about it you can't help worrying that it could be you in the early stages. This is the downside to us all living longer. Before we would be dead before this struck us.
Posted by: Reverendmariner, November 11, 2017, 3:48pm; Reply: 46
I'm so very sorry to read this; Matt was my first childhood hero. Strangely at a church "collector's fayre" last Saturday I was delighted to find a booklet entitled "Matt Tees on Football", for which I paid £1. It's a really fascinating read with so many stories of the old days. He's suffered a lot as a result of being a professional footballer; not only possibly this awful cruel illness now, but also two replacement hips and fusion operations on both ankles.

We were a Fourth Division club in those days, and a "Fourth Division" club now. Perhaps it is just childhood memories that make me think that players such as Matt, Stuart Brace, Harry Wainman and  Dave Boylen were much better footballers than our present team.  I wonder how many of our current squad will be seen as "legends" or past heroes. It doesn't help that the majority seem to be on short contracts.

I hope sincerely that the club will ensure that Sir Matt receives the best possible care.They owe him that, in my view.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 11, 2017, 4:32pm; Reply: 47
Got the great man to sign his book when he launched it. A nicer man you could not wish to find.
Posted by: Teestogreen, November 11, 2017, 5:16pm; Reply: 48
Me and my dad were disappointed when Town sold Sir Matt.

We went to Hull to see them play Charlton and - yes - Sir Matt scored with a header - (remember this was on ITV telly on the Sunday afternoon as well).

All of the previous posts - couldn't say it better.

When I think about it - I just loved heading a ball (with a plastic football though) and watching Matt Tees was the reason why - the image of him leaping for the ball in the oppositions penalty area stays .

Also, I do remember receiving a proper leather football (with laces and a bladder) around the mid to late sixties, and I think this would have been the type of football used for league football matches then. When these got very wet, they absorbed the water and became very heavy. This football you could hardly kick - let alone head it.

All the best to Sir Matt.
Posted by: Teesknees, November 13, 2017, 9:18am; Reply: 49
Just been on the Charlton Life forum and their many comments reflect our own.. this is an example..

Err excuse me it's SIR Matt Tees please. The best header of the ball our club has ever had. If the goal he scored against Cardiff Easter Friday 1968 was on film you'd all agree. They should name some part of the ground after him, the man was a genius.

After watching the Shearer programme last night it would be great if both clubs fans could not get together and help Matt and his family ... financial or otherwise... to try and  give them some support for all the great memories that he's given us over his career... Don't know how that would work... through the Trust? But if something could be done just to help them in some small way then count me in!
Posted by: Teesknees, November 13, 2017, 9:25am; Reply: 50
Spookily this has just been posted on their fans web site....

I saw it,too--was wondering if there would be any support among Lifers for a fund-raising effort to offer as a token of the esteem in which those who saw him play hold him.A gesture of affection for all the games he played,the valuable assists to Ray Treacy among others and the goals he scored,and the memories we have of him.But he,unfortunately,has less and less recollection of those games and goals.I'm not sure what target would be realistic,though.
Any thoughts,please? Thank you
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, November 13, 2017, 10:34am; Reply: 51
I put my Matt Tees reminiscences down earlier in the thread but I would just  like to make a couple of general points now having watched the programme.

There is no doubt that heading a ball repeatedly does something to the brain. Chris Nichol seemed sure his problems were heading related and I must say that having met him a few times when he was here, he has changed dramatically. He was highly intelligent, one of the first to use computers for training data etc. in the 1980s.

But his situation seemed different to Matt’s somehow. I know there is an age difference but the sort of dementia seemed different too. Certainly Kev Moore was different again but was his initially brought on by heading? Was Jeff Astle at 59 really in the same category as Nat Lofthouse at 85? Why were top headers like Tommy Lawton, Dixie Dean and Ted Drake not sufferers but Danny Blanchflower, Nobby Stiles and Stan Bowles, who rarely headed the ball, were/are? Why did my auntie who never headed a football get dementia?

I thought it was a good programme in many ways. Making the point about the problem being more in training that in matches was very valid. Somewhere I have a photo of Ron Rafferty leaping up to head a ball attached to a string on one of the supports at the back of the Osmond. Apparently he would do this every day and so would other players. There was a good point about the leather ball too. It was lighter than modern balls until it got wet. That was like being hit by a sandbag. The picture of Jeff Astle with a ball actually deformed by his forehead was superb.

The other really relevant point was the effect on the family. Dawn Astle’s description of her Dad troughing a handful of butter from the fridge was horrific wasn’t it? Then to see and hear May Tees describing their lives was quite heartbreaking.

But I feel there are too many unanswered questions yet in the science to really pin the blame or say why it affects some people and not others and that was the biggest weakness in the programme. It got hung up on the fear factor and particularly the understandable fear factor of Shearer himself.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 13, 2017, 11:37am; Reply: 52
Quoted from TheGoalKipper

I remember that game. What a match for a Town supporter. I never saw anyone in the air like him - and he wasn't tall either. Seemed like he was suspended in the air. The game that i remember most of those days from that time was when we got a home tie against Wolves with the great Andy Gray playing for them. I don't remember the score but we won and i can still see Matt scoring that header for us.What an atmosphere at that game  

Dementure and all those dieases which take your memory away scare me most of all. I keep on fogetting my own kids names at times and while everyone has a laugh about it you can't help worrying that it could be you in the early stages. This is the downside to us all living longer. Before we would be dead before this struck us.

You're getting your games mixed up there am afraid. Sir Matt had retired long before Andy Gray played for Wolves.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 13, 2017, 11:43am; Reply: 53
I put my Matt Tees reminiscences down earlier in the thread but I would just  like to make a couple of general points now having watched the programme.

There is no doubt that heading a ball repeatedly does something to the brain. Chris Nichol seemed sure his problems were heading related and I must say that having met him a few times when he was here, he has changed dramatically. He was highly intelligent, one of the first to use computers for training data etc. in the 1980s.

But his situation seemed different to Matt’s somehow. I know there is an age difference but the sort of dementia seemed different too. Certainly Kev Moore was different again but was his initially brought on by heading? Was Jeff Astle at 59 really in the same category as Nat Lofthouse at 85? Why were top headers like Tommy Lawton, Dixie Dean and Ted Drake not sufferers but Danny Blanchflower, Nobby Stiles and Stan Bowles, who rarely headed the ball, were/are? Why did my auntie who never headed a football get dementia?

I thought it was a good programme in many ways. Making the point about the problem being more in training that in matches was very valid. Somewhere I have a photo of Ron Rafferty leaping up to head a ball attached to a string on one of the supports at the back of the Osmond. Apparently he would do this every day and so would other players. There was a good point about the leather ball too. It was lighter than modern balls until it got wet. That was like being hit by a sandbag. The picture of Jeff Astle with a ball actually deformed by his forehead was superb.

The other really relevant point was the effect on the family. Dawn Astle’s description of her Dad troughing a handful of butter from the fridge was horrific wasn’t it? Then to see and hear May Tees describing their lives was quite heartbreaking.

But I feel there are too many unanswered questions yet in the science to really pin the blame or say why it affects some people and not others and that was the biggest weakness in the programme. It got hung up on the fear factor and particularly the understandable fear factor of Shearer himself.

I have yet to see the programme but I read Macca`s book and when you read in there how he did heading drills with the Moore brothers and Mike Lyons it gets you thinking it`s not such a surprise how many ex footballers have had problems. The older type footballs will have made this even more of a factor.
Posted by: oldun, November 13, 2017, 11:52am; Reply: 54
What a goal scorer Matt was. He was tough and brave and his timing to get on the end of crosses was superb. He was not big and muscular but tough, wiry and quick. Oh for a striker with his attributes now.
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, November 13, 2017, 4:22pm; Reply: 55
I never saw Matt Tees play but was moved by the programme. It was well handled and thought provoking - I didn’t realise Shearer had it in him.
Posted by: tarka, November 13, 2017, 6:07pm; Reply: 56
Whatever we do, we have to do it in a way which will have the approval of the Tees family and will be co-ordinated with the other clubs Matt played for. It needs to be thought about rather than a mad rush to just raise money!
Posted by: Kristine, November 13, 2017, 6:13pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from tarka
Whatever we do, we have to do it in a way which will have the approval of the Tees family and will be co-ordinated with the other clubs Matt payed for. It needs to be thought about rather than a mad rush to just raise money!

Absolutely this
Posted by: Ipswin, November 13, 2017, 6:51pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from tarka
Whatever we do, we have to do it in a way which will have the approval of the Tees family and will be co-ordinated with the other clubs Matt played for. It needs to be thought about rather than a mad rush to just raise money!

I said this much earlier in this thread, in fact I am not convinced that a money raising effort would be appropriate at all.

I think a discreet approach by the Trust or an old team mate simply to find out if May and her family need any help at all in any area (hopefully they already have some support organised) and failing that just to show that the club and Matt's hundreds of fans are aware and that he and his wife are in our thoughts and he has not been forgotten
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 13, 2017, 7:00pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Ipswin

I said this much earlier in this thread, in fact I am not convinced that a money raising effort would be appropriate at all.

I think a discreet approach by the Trust or an old team mate simply to find out if May and her family need any help at all in any area (hopefully they already have some support organised) and failing that just to show that the club and Matt's hundreds of fans are aware and that he and his wife are in our thoughts and he has not been forgotten

Possibly your finest post Swin!
Posted by: GrimExile, November 13, 2017, 7:37pm; Reply: 60
I met Matt at the one of the Trust functions. I told him that he was my all time hero and that my bank account password was matttees. Without blinking an eye he said, “Can I have your account number and Sort Code”!! A true gentleman and as other have already said a Town legend. I agree with so many others that have suggested the Trust get involved to see if there is anything the family needs. And whilst I’m here how about the same regarding Chris Nichol. We’re all part of the GTFC family. My thoughts are with both families.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, November 14, 2017, 7:04am; Reply: 61
I got to watch this on the excellent BBC I player last night and have to say since he has been presenting that`s the first time Shearer has really impressed me.Moving programme and being a fan of a Club who had 2 ex players featured I hope we can do something to raise money and awareness for those affected.
Posted by: friskneymariner, November 14, 2017, 11:57am; Reply: 62
Quoted from GrimExile
I met Matt at the one of the Trust functions. I told him that he was my all time hero and that my bank account password was matttees. Without blinking an eye he said, “Can I have your account number and Sort Code”!! A true gentleman and as other have already said a Town legend. I agree with so many others that have suggested the Trust get involved to see if there is anything the family needs. And whilst I’m here how about the same regarding Chris Nichol. We’re all part of the GTFC family. My thoughts are with both families.

My old bank account with a Grimsby bank was Matt Tees ,the cashier said she never heard of him,needless to say I remedied that shortfall in her knowledge.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 14, 2017, 1:20pm; Reply: 63
Years ago I was waiting at my daughter's primary school gate in Kingston, in my CA Matt Tees-shirt thinking no one in that middle class area of a SW London suburb would have a clue. Then a mature Scots guy turned to me and said 'how the hell do you know about him?'

Actually thinking about it, maybe they should relaunch the Matt Tees-shirt in some sort of tie in with Swin's suggestion/Sporting Memories thing.
Posted by: cannylad68, November 14, 2017, 6:46pm; Reply: 64
What about a statue of Sir Matt at Blundell Park.
Other clubs have done this, Bobby Moore, Bobby Robson etc.
Funding to be raised by the supporters and the Trust.
It wouldn't cost JF a penny.
Posted by: cannylad68, November 14, 2017, 7:14pm; Reply: 65
Forgot to mention, I have a friend who lived in Luton at the time, and he tells me Sir Matt was just as popular as he was at the other clubs.
If my memory is correct, the photo of Sir Matt in his book, hanging in the air, is in a Luton Town shirt.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 14, 2017, 8:14pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from cannylad68
What about a statue of Sir Matt at Blundell Park.
Other clubs have done this, Bobby Moore, Bobby Robson etc.
Funding to be raised by the supporters and the Trust.
It wouldn't cost JF a penny.

C'mon guys its all getting a bit out of hand here.

I merely suggested that the club should, via the Trust or an old team mate of Sir Matt's, simply let Matt's wife and family know that help in any way will be forthcoming SHOULD THEY NEED IT otherwise just to let them know that they and the great man himself has not been forgotten and is in our thoughts.
Posted by: Teesknees, November 14, 2017, 8:37pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Ipswin

C'mon guys its all getting a bit out of hand here.

I merely suggested that the club should, via the Trust or an old team mate of Sir Matt's, simply let Matt's wife and family know that help in any way will be forthcoming SHOULD THEY NEED IT otherwise just to let them know that they and the great man himself has not been forgotten and is in our thoughts.

Other people have other ideas, what's wrong with that!
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, November 14, 2017, 8:45pm; Reply: 68
Why not just name one of the stands in his honour at Blundell Park and then name one of the stands at the new stadium after him, if it ever gets built?
Posted by: Ipswin, November 14, 2017, 9:08pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Teesknees

Other people have other ideas, what's wrong with that!

For fuckssake! It may have escaped your notice that all the ex-players etc he mentioned who have statues are dead - enough said?

Statues, stands, fund raising its all over the top and not what was intended when this subject was raised. Showing, and (only) IF requested by Matt's family, lending support, will I am sure count for a lot.

Posted by: Cambs Mariner, November 14, 2017, 9:19pm; Reply: 70
Bobby Charlton, Denis Law. Thierry Henry, Gordon Banks, Tony Adams to name but a few haven't died and they all have statues outside football stadiums.
Posted by: Ipswin, November 14, 2017, 9:26pm; Reply: 71
Whatever, but lets not disagree about it on here eh?

The last thing we want is to fall out / argue about it and upset Matt's family, rather defeats the object don't you think ?>(perhaps you don't - think that is)

It's already turning a bit sour - typical Fishy!
Posted by: ginnywings, November 23, 2017, 9:32pm; Reply: 72
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42094034

Study to start in January.

There was a similar study in the US centred around American Football and the owners tried to sweep it under the carpet. Will Smith starred in a film called Concussion about the findings of a doctor, which were denied by the powers that be for many years. Let's hope the same doesn't happen here.
Posted by: supertown, November 24, 2017, 6:04pm; Reply: 73
I just can’t see anything coming from this study, nearly everyone knows someone or has a family member that either has or had dementia and I would guess a huge majority didn’t play football at all. I just think it is a sad consequence of our life span increasing .I actually think the percentage of footballers that get it wont be any different to the percentage of any other occupation.
I am of course guessing and fully understand the call for the study.
Posted by: jock dock tower, November 24, 2017, 7:12pm; Reply: 74
The thing that has to come from it is a recognition that heading a ball for a prolonged period of time CAN have such a devastating effect on someone's life. The FA, FL and Premeirship, in conjunction with the PFA should look at setting up some kind of trust that would allow for help and assistance to be given where needed - ie specialist care for the person concerned and respite care for their carers.

It has been identified as being responsible for basically pulping footballer's brains, as evidenced in Shearer's documentary, so there has to be a duty of care from the employing side and a pro-active stance from the PFA. The game is awash with money and it's only right that those who have helped to make the game what it is today are not forgotten in their hour of need.
Posted by: forza ivano, November 26, 2017, 4:06pm; Reply: 75
Now being repeated on bbc 1 , Matt tees just about to be featured
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 4:10pm