Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), October 20, 2017, 6:18am
Is there an update on the New Stadium?? It all seems to have gone very quiet on that front!!

I'm not sure that I'll ever see it in my lifetime.

It would be good if the Club gave regular updates but because it's not been mentioned.......
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 20, 2017, 6:36am; Reply: 1
Considering extreme are supposed to get you to live the brand it all seems very quiet doesn’t it  :-/
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 20, 2017, 8:39am; Reply: 2
The PM is in today`s paper talking up the local plan for the area if this is going to happen it will be now or never. Based on nothing more than what I have heard from people that I would expect to be ITK I would say GTFC will be playing in a brand new stadium before 2025.
Posted by: Fat Cobra, October 20, 2017, 8:59am; Reply: 3
Be patient
Posted by: Bigdog, October 20, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 4
From what I've read, I think this is where we are at presently or at least the last update reported..

March 22 2017

Director John Fenty said: “We’ve now got to get a legal agreement between the council, the club and Extreme. That will probably take two to three months. In the meantime, there will be some work going on – that’s never stopped.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 20, 2017, 9:21am; Reply: 5
You can't rush these things  8)
Posted by: crusty ole pie, October 20, 2017, 10:00am; Reply: 6
Bloody hell saw the thread title and rushed to the telewag web sight expecting to see a full frontal in colour of jf digging the the first sod of turf
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, October 20, 2017, 10:04am; Reply: 7
Vote this dogshit council out we might have a better chance.
Posted by: TAGG, October 20, 2017, 10:11am; Reply: 8
NEW STADIUM = No fookin chance
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 20, 2017, 10:20am; Reply: 9
[quote=290]The PM is in today`s paper talking up the local plan for the area if this is going to happen it will be now or never. Based on nothing more than what I have heard from people that I would expect to be ITK I would say GTFC will be playing in a brand new stadium before 2025.[/quote

Theresa May isn’t even in charge of her own party so dont believe a word she says, can’t wait for season 2025/26 (wallbash)(wallbash2)
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 20, 2017, 10:40am; Reply: 10
I live in hope that I will be sat in the new stadium watching my team,

BUT

I can not live forever.

Still hoping it will happen in my lifetime though.
Posted by: chelseacity, October 20, 2017, 10:44am; Reply: 11
Even Cleethorpes Town FC are building a new stadium, right now.
Posted by: golfer, October 20, 2017, 11:02am; Reply: 12
Talking to Paddy McTurnip at dance lessons last night and he gave me some interesting news- he has been asked by nameless to recruit 5 other ex tatty diggers to start digging the foundations of a state of the art complex in a secret location - he wouldn't elaborate but could this be the news we have all been waiting for- my information from Paddy is 90% correct so far-fingers crossed he is right again-----
Posted by: golfer, October 20, 2017, 11:04am; Reply: 13
Quoted from grimsby pete
I live in hope that I will be sat in the new stadium watching my team,

BUT

I can not live forever.

Still hoping it will happen in my lifetime though.

How old are you Pete---18
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 20, 2017, 12:07pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from golfer

How old are you Pete---18

I wish I was and know what I know now. 8)
Posted by: moosey_club, October 20, 2017, 12:42pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from MuddyWaters
You can't rush these things  8)

too right....Scunny moved and now just a mere 30 yrs (?) later want to move again......if we move we move for good, those Main Stand timbers only have one more move in them so we need to make sure we get it right when they are put back up at PP !!
Posted by: GrimRob, October 20, 2017, 1:18pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from chelseacity
Even Cleethorpes Town FC are building a new stadium, right now.

We should share theirs  :)
Posted by: RichMariner, October 20, 2017, 1:55pm; Reply: 17
You never know, we might eventually go from Cleethorpes playing in Grimsby and Grimsby playing in Cleethorpes to Cleethorpes playing in Cleethorpes and Grimsby playing in Grimsby.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 20, 2017, 2:30pm; Reply: 18
It does appear to be not being mentioned a lot apart from on here. As mentioned, other clubs get theirs sorted, only with this council de fruityarse drags his heels.

Unfortunately, I was at the crem on Monday, and spoke to our kid about the new ground on leaving. Neither of us could see how on earth this new ground would effect anyone with a bloody allotment! Yes, a bit of noise for a couple of hours on a Saturday maybe, but, then again, am guessing these tw@ts listen to the tv on mute!
Posted by: crusty ole pie, October 20, 2017, 2:33pm; Reply: 19
It would not hurt for thevoiveofreason just to pop up on here and say things are still on stream moving a little slowly than hoped or something similar 6 months without mentioning it is too long
Posted by: ginnywings, October 20, 2017, 2:37pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from crusty ole pie
It would not hurt for thevoiveofreason just to pop up on here and say things are still on stream moving a little slowly than hoped or something similar 6 months without mentioning it is too long

Getyourfactsright.  ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 20, 2017, 2:42pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

Getyourfactsnamesright.  ;)

Posted by: moosey_club, October 20, 2017, 4:31pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It does appear to be not being mentioned a lot apart from on here. As mentioned, other clubs get theirs sorted, only with this council de fruityarse drags his heels.
!

As much of  a pantomime villain he is, the club havn't put any solid plans or applications forward yet have they? ..so he or any opposition cant actually block, drag or obstruct anything !!
Posted by: golfer, October 20, 2017, 4:37pm; Reply: 23
Who on earth is going to invest in this town-there is that much building land not used already so why would anybody want to buy land for building houses never mind shopping centres. We don't even need a cinema-the council had one earmarked for the white elephant Macauley street/Cromwell Road site-then there is going to be one at the Riverhead-NOT. Ramsdens has shut down and intend to build a shopping centre nearby-NOT    The Precinct shopping centre is struggling--both markets have more empty stalls than those in use.Un employment is down every street-who are these developers hoping to get their profits from-can't see it being in my lifetime.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, October 20, 2017, 4:50pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Laugh out loud o yes him too
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 20, 2017, 5:14pm; Reply: 25
It never ceases to amaze me how fukin stupid people are we spend all that time debating and arguing about PP when it's not even the best site, of we can't choose the most appropriate site how will we ever get the thing built?

Extreme lesuire ? Why would we get into bed with a company that just appears to be a web site and has never built anything like this before?

This "proposal" as it is in reality only that at this stage is essential for GTFC to move forward without a doubt but a number of questions cause me concern,

1 How much debt will it land is in?
2 Have the accountants identified the break even point to service that debt?
3 In reality how many home supporters do the club truly believe they can attract each week that make this work?
4 How much commercial income will need to be generated annually?
5 Who will be taking the commercial units at the site?

The whole thing from start to finish feels very scruffy.

Update definitely required from fetyourfactsstraigt I reckon
Posted by: gaz57, October 20, 2017, 5:31pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
Vote this dogshit council out we might have a better chance.

There going to be to busy looking through your bin to raise more cash with fines to go with the money they are always fleecing off the motorists to keep the country going, while the Tories cut even more money from the tax payers to pay for a train for the rich and a bunch of missiles to rust away in a bunker somewhere. Sorry for the rant but I do feel better. UTMM
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 20, 2017, 5:34pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from HertsGTFC
It never ceases to amaze me how fukin stupid people are we spend all that time debating and arguing about PP when it's not even the best site, of we can't choose the most appropriate site how will we ever get the thing built?

Extreme lesuire ? Why would we get into bed with a company that just appears to be a web site and has never built anything like this before?

This "proposal" as it is in reality only that at this stage is essential for GTFC to move forward without a doubt but a number of questions cause me concern,

3 In reality how many home supporters do the club truly believe they can attract each week that make this work?

Like it or not, the current product, both on and off the pitch, needs to be a hell of a lot better than it is currently in order to attract the kind of attendances that will justify a new stadium. Much as I would like to see us in a shiny new arena, loads of work still needs to be done to achieve it.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 20, 2017, 5:35pm; Reply: 28
I would agree on all counts Codger!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, October 20, 2017, 5:52pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I would agree on all counts Codger!

Other clubs not doing particularly well have built new stadia and some done ok some not so , but if we don’t do it what will come of the club long term ? We’ve got to do it simple as ... just prey it happens (fingerscrossed)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 20, 2017, 5:58pm; Reply: 30
I blame Brexit.
Posted by: Skrill, October 20, 2017, 7:13pm; Reply: 31
We've been at Blundell Park for 118 years, I do like the 19th century but I don't like experiencing it!

Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 20, 2017, 7:34pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Other clubs not doing particularly well have built new stadia and some done ok some not so , but if we don’t do it what will come of the club long term ? We’ve got to do it simple as ... just prey it happens (fingerscrossed)

Don't get me wrong - I totally see the need for it financially. What worries me is creating a 'white elephant' that is always less than 50% full with no atmosphere - particularly when it appears to be in a location that few want and is being driven by a company with no experience of delivering such a project. Just putting a bit of reality out there.
Posted by: psgmariner, October 20, 2017, 7:48pm; Reply: 33
Echo my feelings old codger.

No new stadium is better than a rubbish, money pit new stadium.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 20, 2017, 7:58pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from psgmariner
Echo my feelings old codger.

No new stadium is better than a rubbish, money pit new stadium.

I'll go a stage further PSG - it will only be worth doing if an individual is able to put a really substantial amount of money into the club to ensure that the standards on the pitch are capable of sustaining crowds in the region of 8-10k, week in, week out.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 20, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Can't understand why this got so many red crosses.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 20, 2017, 8:06pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from RichMariner
You never know, we might eventually go from Cleethorpes playing in Grimsby and Grimsby playing in Cleethorpes to Cleethorpes playing in Cleethorpes and Grimsby playing in Grimsby.

Given that Cleethorpes Town is developing their site at 'Laportes', it could be a long while before they're in Cleethorpes. It's on the Grimsby side of Clee Road.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 20, 2017, 9:59pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't get me wrong - I totally see the need for it financially. What worries me is creating a 'white elephant' that is always less than 50% full with no atmosphere - particularly when it appears to be in a location that few want and is being driven by a company with no experience of delivering such a project. Just putting a bit of reality out there.

Just like BP then.  ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 20, 2017, 10:14pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from ginnywings

Just like BP then.  ;)

Yep - excrement football = excrement attendance = excrement atmosphere which would be even worse in a bigger stadium. Said all along that a new stadium would be great but only if we've got a team to justify it. Sadly, at present, we haven't.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 20, 2017, 10:27pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yep - excrement football = excrement attendance = excrement atmosphere which would be even worse in a bigger stadium. Said all along that a new stadium would be great but only if we've got a team to justify it. Sadly, at present, we haven't.

Shall we not bother then?

I thought the possibility of a new stadium was a good thing, but going on the myriad negative comments on this thread, it seems most people are happy to bumble along in a dilapidated, drafty old pile with no decent facilities. Who said the people of GY were negative and backward looking?

I particularly appreciate the positive spin from Golfer and Herts, both of whom left GY to live elsewhere.
Posted by: Grim74, October 20, 2017, 10:35pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

I thought the possibility of a new stadium was a good thing, but going on the myriad negative comments on this thread, it seems most people are happy to bumble along in a dilapidated, drafty old pile with no decent facilities. Who said the people of GY were negative and backward looking?

I particularly appreciate the positive spin from Golfer and Herts, both of whom left GY to live elsewhere.

Well I live in town and il say old cover is talking bollox
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 20, 2017, 10:38pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from ginnywings

Not me....get the thing built ASAP

Any latest news on it John ? ........"pretty please".

Posted by: Bigdog, October 20, 2017, 11:40pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from ginnywings

Well said Ginny. I've been a bit incredulous about some of the comments on this thread.

The only way we can progress is offering 21st century facilities in a 21st century stadium. Not withstanding team performance, the improved matchday experience can only help boost attendances.

I just want to see some progress. We don't seem to be making any ostensible movements forward given the length of time without any news. Council delays, then we make it through one of their hurdles, then the club seems to drag its heels. Weeks turn into months and months into years, a never ending process of inching forward then a long period of silence. Fans need to be sold a future, it can impact on decisions made in the present. ie Club - Stadium's going to be built by 2020. Fans - Ok, we're finding it tough at the moment but we'll stay loyal until then.

The silence is deafening at the minute and a little worrying.

In my mind we've got everything to gain from a new stadium.

My only two reservations are that I'm worried that the stadium design itself won't have the wow factor we all crave and secondly the cost of the aforementioned bridging loan to cover the phased housing plan impacts on the future playing budget, so the entertainment and competitiveness of the team won't match expectation.

After all, we are talking about much bigger numbers than any board member can underwrite if the project comes up against an unplanned for pitfall.

Any news would be welcome to allay any doubts..
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 21, 2017, 12:13am; Reply: 43
Pretty excrement communications really. I’d have thought a once a month update (even saying there’s no further news) on the OS wouldn’t be difficult to manage. I wrongly imagined that one thing Extreme would be good at was communicating as they seem to have parlayed themselves a role in this project without previous experience. I’d have thought they’d be on the phone saying ‘John, stakeholder engagement. You’ve got to keep the punters up to date.’
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 21, 2017, 7:52am; Reply: 44
What Bigdog says is bang on for me. The silence is a concern, as is the credibility of the partner at this level, being able to generate the income makes me nervous as in reality when we where doing well gates where not through the roof.

I think it's the only way we can really move forward long term and apart from putting the club in jeopardy we should do all we can to get it built.

Re the design? Well let's submit the plans and then we'll see.

Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, October 21, 2017, 8:27am; Reply: 45
perhaps an foi request to the council would prompt an update, after all it is public land we are talking about.
Posted by: realist, October 21, 2017, 9:50am; Reply: 46
I think the council are patiently waiting for a planning application. There is nothing else they can do until fenty gets his act together.
I  am sure the uncertainty of brexit isn't helping, along with the two town centre developments. Who would gamble on buying in to the stadium project when there could be the potentially massive riverside development and the cinema/restaurants project?  I  know where I would put my money and it wouldn't be the parkway.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 21, 2017, 9:57am; Reply: 47
The deal seems straight forward to me. We will give you a big parcel of land at a competitive price with planning in place to build a substantial number of houses, with the proviso that you also build a football stadium, and lease it for a peppercorn rent for the next hundred years to GTFC.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 21, 2017, 10:00am; Reply: 48
Quoted from realist
I think the council are patiently waiting for a planning application. There is nothing else they can do until fenty gets his act together.
I  am sure the uncertainty of brexit isn't helping, along with the two town centre developments. Who would gamble on buying in to the stadium project when there could be the potentially massive riverside development and the cinema/restaurants project?  I  know where I would put my money and it wouldn't be the parkway.

Could be a new username:

getyouracttogether.

;)
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 21, 2017, 10:24am; Reply: 49
Quoted from realist

Perhaps all Town fans should be demanding another referendum.
Posted by: Bigdog, October 21, 2017, 10:37am; Reply: 50
Quoted from realist
I think the council are patiently waiting for a planning application. There is nothing else they can do until fenty gets his act together. Agree, we were told a legal agreement between Extreme, the club and the council would take two to three months and that was in March

I  am sure the uncertainty of brexit isn't helping, I doubt it makes much difference, UK has the highest inward investment of any European country, even after the vote. Uncertainty for manufacturing yes, but the retail and service sectors are holding up well

along with the two town centre developments. Who would gamble on buying in to the stadium project when there could be the potentially massive riverside development and the cinema/restaurants project? I wouldn't put any money into a central Grimsby riverside development, look what happened last time and I don't think there's anyone left who enjoys travelling into central Grimsby for anything nowadays. Any attempt of gentrification in the past has not worked due to inherent social problems on the marshes

I  know where I would put my money and it wouldn't be the parkway. My money would go into building and selling housing in the suburbs rather than restaurant rentals, much safer

Something seems to be slowing the process down and for once it doesn't seem to be the council..
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 21, 2017, 10:42am; Reply: 51
A new stadium is essential for our long-term future.

Frequent updates are needed to keep people on board.   Even if there is no progress to report since the last communication, there should still be a report saying "no further progress at this time etc".  Some honesty would go a long way.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 21, 2017, 10:49am; Reply: 52
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
A new stadium is essential for our long-term future.

Frequent updates are needed to keep people on board.   Even if there is no progress to report since the last communication, there should still be a report saying "no further progress at this time etc".  Some honesty would go a long way.

And stops us making up our own stories to fill the void.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 21, 2017, 10:51am; Reply: 53
Not wishing to appear like I am aligning with Bigdog (god forbid😉) but I think that this is a good example of where the club need to keep the support engaged and informed, let's face it come the time they will be keen enough to get us in the thing so generating some interest by open and transparent comms would not hurt.
Posted by: Bigdog, October 21, 2017, 10:58am; Reply: 54
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Not wishing to appear like I am aligning with Bigdog (god forbid😉) but I think that this is a good example of where the club need to keep the support engaged and informed, let's face it come the time they will be keen enough to get us in the thing so generating some interest by open and transparent comms would not hurt.

(100) (groupwave1)(groupwave1)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 21, 2017, 11:43am; Reply: 55
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Totally agree and some have taken my points wrongly. I'm all for a new stadium as it is the only way the club goes forward in the future but, and it's a big but, you've got to try and fill it with a better standard of football.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, October 21, 2017, 12:58pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Totally agree and some have taken my points wrongly. I'm all for a new stadium as it is the only way the club goes forward in the future but, and it's a big but, you've got to try and fill it with a better standard of football.

They don't. The club will attempt to fill the stadium with any brand of football, it doesn't matter how good it is. Arguably you could say that a better standard of football would bring extra revenue but if it doesn't produce wins then people still wont go. At the end of the day it's a results business and if the club starts performing well and keeps winning, attendances will increase no matter how poor the football is. People like to see winning teams, not teams that lose.
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 21, 2017, 1:10pm; Reply: 57
Instead of the negative spin how about a positive one.
A new ground generates income and gets the financial millstone of BP off the back of GTFC.
The money freed up enables us to build a squad that can take the club forward. If a new ground is self sustaining then the crowd size isn’t the be all and end all.
We have been moaning for years about needing a new ground. Now there is a chance we may be getting one people are moaning again.
It’s not a ‘Grimsby’ thing, it’s not a ‘Fishy’ thing, it’s a football supporters thing. Although, given the time frame we are understandably weary!!
Whatever the design of the new Stadium I just hope it can generate some atmosphere. But that’s mainly up to us. UTM
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 21, 2017, 1:21pm; Reply: 58
Regarding  atmosphere  we will only get that either at the park or the new stadium if the team gives the fans something to cheer about,

The only other way is to invite all the usual away fans to the ground 3or 4 hours before KO and supply them with cheap beer. 8)
Posted by: Bigdog, October 21, 2017, 1:28pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Civvy at last
Instead of the negative spin how about a positive one.
A new ground generates income and gets the financial millstone of BP off the back of GTFC.
The money freed up enables us to build a squad that can take the club forward. If a new ground is self sustaining then the crowd size isn’t the be all and end all.
We have been moaning for years about needing a new ground. Now there is a chance we may be getting one people are moaning again.
It’s not a ‘Grimsby’ thing, it’s not a ‘Fishy’ thing, it’s a football supporters thing. Although, given the time frame we are understandably weary!!
Whatever the design of the new Stadium I just hope it can generate some atmosphere. But that’s mainly up to us. UTM

Can't disagree with any of the above.

BP has been holding us back for years. Something was lost when the Barrett Stand was knocked down and the open corners were no longer used. Although it was necessary it felt like the new configuration of the ground coupled with all seating alienated a lot of fans. Let's face it, compared to the majority of stadiums in the country, BP is not a nice place to watch football. If the new stadium can offer modern facilities that Town fans, old, new and lost can be proud of, I don't think an 8k average attendance for home fans will be out of the way unless the team is playing pants and getting beat every week. The impact of a new stadium should not be underestimated..

The only question is.. the council gave us the green light to put planning permission in.. seven months later, is the club really in a position to do it? Were we fully prepared for it? Without any evidence to the contrary, I just sense a loss of momentum at the minute..
Posted by: ginnywings, October 21, 2017, 1:55pm; Reply: 60
I'm working on the theory that no news is good news. The planning process can be extremely long, especially on a scheme of this size. Unless i hear otherwise, i will assume it's still going ahead.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 21, 2017, 2:02pm; Reply: 61
10k stadium is realistically all that is required for now. Just make the away section in a side stand, not directly behind the goal
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 21, 2017, 2:06pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
10k stadium is realistically all that is required for now. Just make the away section in a side stand, not directly behind the goal

The problem with that Woz is if we have a bit of success and move up the leagues it will not be big enough,

14,000 is about right imo and it will not need to be extended unless we reach the Prem.
Posted by: lee65, October 21, 2017, 2:08pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Not really thought down to that level of detail, but I think this is a good idea for atmosphere
Posted by: lee65, October 21, 2017, 2:10pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from grimsby pete

The problem with that Woz is if we have a bit of success and move up the leagues it will not be big enough,

14,000 is about right imo and it will not need to be extended unless we reach the Prem.

Pete, do you really think 14k would be needed week in week out even if we were in the higher reaches of League 1?
Would we have 14k if we were in the Championship these days?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 21, 2017, 2:17pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from grimsby pete

I think that's realistic mate. Maybe with success, if there are open corners, then this can be added to (like stoke are doing/have done)

Away crowds still aren't massive at this level, so space for 1000/1500 should be ample.
Posted by: heppy88, October 21, 2017, 9:33pm; Reply: 66
I have a feeling the club are purposely keeping everything low key at this stage. Yes it would be good to have regular updates on how the project is progressing. But the least the NIMBYs know at this stage the better. Out of sight and out of mind. Gently does it and the boat wont get rocked. Lessons will have been learnt over the last 27 years of trying to overcome Grimsby NIMBYs  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 21, 2017, 9:44pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I think that's realistic mate. Maybe with success, if there are open corners, then this can be added to (like stoke are doing/have done)

Away crowds still aren't massive at this level, so space for 1000/1500 should be ample.

There won't be open corners by the looks of it, what a lot are doing now are putting in substantial footings foundations call it what you want so they can up the capacity by building an upper tier if needed.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 21, 2017, 11:54pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from heppy88
I have a feeling the club are purposely keeping everything low key at this stage. Yes it would be good to have regular updates on how the project is progressing. But the least the NIMBYs know at this stage the better. Out of sight and out of mind. Gently does it and the boat wont get rocked. Lessons will have been learnt over the last 27 years of trying to overcome Grimsby NIMBYs  ;)

Do you really think that? Do you really think that hearing nothing will stop the NIMBYs when the application finally goes in (if it ever does)?
Posted by: heppy88, October 22, 2017, 9:28am; Reply: 69
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Do you really think that? Do you really think that hearing nothing will stop the NIMBYs when the application finally goes in (if it ever does)?

No it won't. But, the club will want to get as far as it can before facing the inevitable backlash. Drip feeding bits of information only fuels the fire of opposition. Only release information when there are solid facts to release.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 22, 2017, 9:52am; Reply: 70
Quoted from heppy88

No it won't. But, the club will want to get as far as it can before facing the inevitable backlash. Drip feeding bits of information only fuels the fire of opposition. Only release information when there are solid facts to release.

But surely drip feeding info would also give fuel to those who are supportive of the proposal?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 22, 2017, 10:15am; Reply: 71
I'd love us to have a new stadium and a team worthy of gracing it. However, the current information vacuum only adds fuel to the cynical view that it won't happen. Tell us something GYFR, even if it's just that discussions are ongoing and there are some minor details to be finalised.
Posted by: rancido, October 22, 2017, 10:16am; Reply: 72
Quoted from Cloudy

But surely drip feeding info would also give fuel to those who are supportive of the proposal?

But surely, by definition , those that support the proposal don't need anymore convincing that the new stadium in that location is the right path to follow.
Posted by: Mariner93er, October 22, 2017, 10:32am; Reply: 73
I think people just need to be patient. That fact there is no news is pretty obviously because there is no more news to give. I understand the need to give updates, but it is completely pointless them givong us updates of no news.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 22, 2017, 11:32am; Reply: 74
Quoted from rancido

But surely, by definition , those that support the proposal don't need anymore convincing that the new stadium in that location is the right path to follow.

What about the doubters and the waiverers? The cynical. The non-believers. Or the people who couldn't I've a stuff about the football but care about their town? It'd be better to get as many people on board and supportive than have them disengaged and even mildly antagonistic.

If you're trying to convince councillors and investors there's really a demand then keeping quiet is really not helpful.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 22, 2017, 11:58am; Reply: 75
Quoted from Mariner93er
I think people just need to be patient. That fact there is no news is pretty obviously because there is no more news to give. I understand the need to give updates, but it is completely pointless them givong us updates of no news.

I'd like to think I'm being patient, I mean it was only announced in 1995.
Posted by: Bigdog, October 22, 2017, 12:05pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Mariner93er

It's sort of not the point that is being made. In spring there was the message from the club that they'd like to be in the new stadium within three years, yet here we are 20% through that timeframe without a murmur and a previous post on this thread now claiming from an ITK that 2025 is a more realistic date. Be nice to know if everything is on schedule at the very least. Something just doesn't feel right at the moment after all the fanfare at the beginning of the year..
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, October 22, 2017, 12:44pm; Reply: 77
I'd say that 3 year timeline is completely blown now, I reckon design and build is a minimum 2 and a half years for this and we haven't even got the land yet. There must be some problem not to have reached a legal agreement in 6 months given that both the club and the council agree on the reference site.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 22, 2017, 12:49pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I'd say that 3 year timeline is completely blown now, I reckon design and build is a minimum 2 and a half years for this and we haven't even got the land yet. There must be some problem not to have reached a legal agreement in 6 months given that both the club and the council agree on the reference site.

Newts?
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, October 22, 2017, 1:14pm; Reply: 79
Newts, bats, nesting birds etc. these sorts of problems that could come up when the site surveys are completed, we haven't even got to that point yet.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 22, 2017, 7:00pm; Reply: 80
I wonder if news will be forthcoming at the approaching AGM?

Accounts will be out very soon with the AGM just 5 weeks away
Posted by: crusty ole pie, October 22, 2017, 7:11pm; Reply: 81
Out of interest are minutes of board meeting made public ?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 22, 2017, 7:17pm; Reply: 82
Out of interest are minutes of board meeting made public ?

Board meeting or AGM?

Shareholders should get minutes of board meetings, the AGM is normally made available on Freeview.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, October 22, 2017, 7:34pm; Reply: 83
As a shareholder I don't get minutes of gtfc board meetings
I do get an invite to the Agm

Re the development I am no expert but I do know that even with a fair wind these things take time and have many barriers to progress
The fact that as a club we have been looking to move since 1990 is irrelevant. The plan on the radar right now could still be on track for all we know.

We should leave the development to the professionals
We should leave the management of the team to the professionals

Social media seems to be throwing up idiots like Donald trump so don't rely on social media to run gtfc or we will all be losers

Posted by: crusty ole pie, October 22, 2017, 7:41pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Re the development I am no expert but I do know that even with a fair wind these things take time and have many barriers to progress
The fact that as a club we have been looking to move since 1990 is irrelevant. The plan on the radar right now could still be on track for all we know.

Social media seems to be throwing up idiots like Donald trump so don't rely on social media to run gtfc or we will all be losers

Cheers, so minutes taken at board meetings are never made public ?
Posted by: Cloudy, October 22, 2017, 8:07pm; Reply: 85

Correct
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 22, 2017, 9:02pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Cloudy

Correct

Unless invited for a one to one with the caveat that you won't divulge what was said  ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 22, 2017, 9:43pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Marinerz93

Correct

Unless invited for a one to one with the caveat that you won't divulge what was said  ;)[/quote]

Maybe JF should offer 'Intimate One 2 Ones' as a fundraising initiative???
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 22, 2017, 10:12pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Unless invited for a one to one with the caveat that you won't divulge what was said  ;)
Maybe JF should offer 'Intimate One 2 Ones' as a fundraising initiative???

Just like the Mighty Mariner initiative that has belly flopped  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 22, 2017, 10:44pm; Reply: 89

and don't forget to doff your cap and/or tug your forelock.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 23, 2017, 6:13am; Reply: 90

I don't disagree but is the development being managed by professionals? Extreme have to my knowledge never done anything like this neither has anyone on the board despite JF having previous interests in building & construction. A project like this needs experience and expertise so we can develop a new ground as well as the playing squad and we don't get caught out like Coventry & Darlington.

The plan maybe on track but for when? 3 year's time or 2025? We may not all be shareholders but as paying supporters we are stake holders a fact that GTFC are beginning to over look more often since our return to league football.

Regular updates from the club would minimise the amount of social media speculation
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 23, 2017, 6:28pm; Reply: 91
Regarding the number of seats required,

A good idea might be to have 10,000 installed to start with,

Start installing them in row 4 or 5 and leave a few rows out in the corners

The extra 4,000 can be added later when or if required .

Then no extra building work will be needed.
Posted by: Vance Warner, October 23, 2017, 7:00pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from grimsby pete

Or 8,000 seats and safe standing for 2,000 at each end. The tide is definitely turning and by the time get a new ground gets built there's a good chance the legislation will change. Our friends at Shrewsbury are leading the way.

Posted by: Bigdog, October 23, 2017, 9:15pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from grimsby pete

So we'd be spending £55m on a new stadium and save £40k by not installing 4000 seats and leaving it looking unfinished? Sorry Pete, really can't see the logic in that at all..

And you really think that 10k would be enough first season versus the likes of Lincoln, Bradford, Scunny depending on what league we are in or decent cup draws? If it's done right the initial novelty value will be enormous. It'll up to the board, manager and team to keep the momentum going in following seasons..
Posted by: SteffiMariner, October 23, 2017, 11:11pm; Reply: 94
Just out of interest, when was the last time we had demand for 10,000 tickets?
Posted by: chaos33, October 23, 2017, 11:17pm; Reply: 95
What, you mean at Blundell Park?
Posted by: SteffiMariner, October 23, 2017, 11:20pm; Reply: 96
In fact I'm going to rant.

Why do a certain set of our moronic fans think that because we get a new stadium we suddenly get 10,000 more fans? We have averaged about 5,000 home gates for the last 30 years - how the flipping hell is this going to triple just because of a new stadium? We rarely sell out as it is, the few games we have done are cup games or against the team across the A46 but that is it. Why build a big flipping stadium that will be two thirds empty most games because it'll be full once when we play Spurs in the third round of the Caroboa cup or whatever the flipping thing is called nowadays.

Realistically, 10,000 is too big as most games it'll be half full/empty. Ask Darlington what a big flipping stadium with all mod cons brings you.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, October 23, 2017, 11:21pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from chaos33
What, you mean at Blundell Park?

Yes.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 23, 2017, 11:27pm; Reply: 98
I can't see the logic in having less than 12,000 capacity. The saving won't be great unless you have say 3 or 2 stands, and the opportunity for extra revenue will be lost.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, October 23, 2017, 11:33pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I can't see the logic in having less than 12,000 capacity. The saving won't be great unless you have say 3 or 2 stands, and the opportunity for extra revenue will be lost.

The ground will be over half empty for most games. We will sell out once in a blue moon. The extra revenue for a one off game doesn't warrant the extra seats and ergo running costs. A smaller, compact stadium would deliver a better atmosphere and hopefully with that a more intimidating atmosphere which would generate better results. An empty stadium with no atmosphere is not what I am hoping for.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 24, 2017, 12:19am; Reply: 100
Quoted from SteffiMariner

The ground will be over half empty for most games. We will sell out once in a blue moon. The extra revenue for a one off game doesn't warrant the extra seats and ergo running costs. A smaller, compact stadium would deliver a better atmosphere and hopefully with that a more intimidating atmosphere which would generate better results. An empty stadium with no atmosphere is not what I am hoping for.

Extra seats won't cost anything more to maintain (bit of extra sweeping when used - when not areas not needed can be portioned off). We're not talking about a massive difference in technical services. The extra construction cost won't be that much more - certainly less than proportionate (12,000 seats won't cost 50% more than an 8,000 seater).

We've got a small ground with a low capacity now and it doesn't create an intimidating atmosphere any more. And I'm sure the stand with the dugouts could be designed in such a way that we can still all bait Steve Evans).

Then there's been quite a few times in the normal league season where we could have sold more away seats. And I'm sure we'd sell a few more home seats all season round with better facilities. Realistically we'll have clubs like Bristol Rovers and Rotherham. Scunny. Bradford. As well as Lincoln, Pompey, Donny.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 24, 2017, 12:58am; Reply: 101
In fact I'm going to rant.

Why do a certain set of our moronic fans think that because we get a new stadium we suddenly get 10,000 more fans? We have averaged about 5,000 home gates for the last 30 years - how the flipping hell is this going to triple just because of a new stadium? We rarely sell out as it is, the few games we have done are cup games or against the team across the A46 but that is it. Why build a big flipping stadium that will be two thirds empty most games because it'll be full once when we play Spurs in the third round of the Caroboa cup or whatever the flipping thing is called nowadays.

Realistically, 10,000 is too big as most games it'll be half full/empty. Ask Darlington what a big flipping stadium with all mod cons brings you.

You're entitled to rant of course, but i disagree with you, so does that make me a moron?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 24, 2017, 4:58am; Reply: 102
To be fair IF we got a new ground and Fenty achieved his longed for (imho) exit strategy a new fresh start all round could generate more support.

Initially there is bound to be an increase keeping them interested is up to the team and staff at GTFC.  
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 24, 2017, 10:43am; Reply: 103
Restricting the amount of seats restricts on how far we can progress,

The season before Laurie Mac  took over we averaged 4,000,

The next two seasons we had over 11,000 and 10500,

If  you are happy to stay in L2 and watch games with less than 5,000 so be it,

The vast majority of us want us to progress.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 24, 2017, 11:13am; Reply: 104
Pete I'm not convinced you can use what happened 45 years ago as a parallel to present time, things have changed dramatically in Football and the Town. Just because a poster is arguably being realistic they may still want us to move forward.

When it's built I think we'll have to settle for 4 sides and an option to seat the corners at a later date. The cost of fitting empty seats could potentially be spent on players or some other infrastructure piece.

I would like to see some safe standing though for definite.
Posted by: Vance Warner, October 24, 2017, 11:18am; Reply: 105
Quoted from grimsby pete
Restricting the amount of seats restricts on how far we can progress,

The season before Laurie Mac  took over we averaged 4,000,

The next two seasons we had over 11,000 and 10500

If  you are happy to stay in L2 and watch games with less than 5,000 so be it,

The vast majority of us want us to progress.

When the town was more affluent and football was more affordable. I can't make it tomorrow but wanted to buy a ticket anyway. First time I've been on the online shop in years. We now charge 50 quid for a birthday message to be on the screen. Fifty quid. You used to tell someone and they would read it out. Don't even get me started on the 500 quid boardroom experience.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 24, 2017, 11:39am; Reply: 106
I dont recall the town being affluent in 1971-72 or thereabouts!
Posted by: oldun, October 24, 2017, 12:12pm; Reply: 107
Until I saw this thread I had almost forgotten about the new stadium idea. In fact I have resigned myself to seeing out my time in the oldest stand in the league.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 24, 2017, 12:36pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Cloudy
I dont recall the town being affluent in 1971-72 or thereabouts!

Agree,

I remember that time well I was Bus Driving at the time,

The town was not affluent by a long chalk.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 24, 2017, 12:37pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from oldun
Until I saw this thread I had almost forgotten about the new stadium idea. In fact I have resigned myself to seeing out my time in the oldest stand in the league.

That still might be the case mate.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 24, 2017, 1:29pm; Reply: 110
The new ground is a must nearly every team who have moved have benfited from better gates I can`t see why we would be any different/ The  teams I would instantly compare us to are Donny,Roth and Chesterfield none are ripping trees up on the pitch but they all get decent enough gates compared to what they had.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 24, 2017, 2:29pm; Reply: 111
I am sure more people would turn up if we had better facilities when you take a step back sometimes for various reasons going to BP can be an ordeal especially if your a pensioner like my dad who doesn't  walk to well
Posted by: Bigdog, October 24, 2017, 3:28pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I am sure more people would turn up if we had better facilities when you take a step back sometimes for various reasons going to BP can be an ordeal especially if your a pensioner like my dad who doesn't  walk to well

It's a really good point Herts. Most posters on here are regulars at BP so are a bit immune/hardened to how truly decrepit the ground is. The amount of people I know who don't go or won't take their kids, dad, mum, girlfriend etc because they think it's a s#ithole (their words) is huge, and usually followed up by saying, "I'll go to the new ground though".
Posted by: ginnywings, October 24, 2017, 4:26pm; Reply: 113
Lincoln showed last season how crowds can swell massively if you have a buzz about the place. If you give the punters what they want, on and off the pitch, the ground will fill.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, October 24, 2017, 6:54pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from ginnywings

You're entitled to rant of course, but i disagree with you, so does that make me a moron?

Only if you think 10,000 new fans will materialiise out of nowhere...
Posted by: ginnywings, October 24, 2017, 6:59pm; Reply: 115

Only if you think 10,000 new fans will materialiise out of nowhere...

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting we will get 10,000 'new' fans.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 24, 2017, 7:02pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from ginnywings

We haven't got that many 'old' fans
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 24, 2017, 7:32pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from oldun

It can be arranged  ;) Be careful on those steps.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, October 24, 2017, 8:43pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from ginnywings

So why are people wanting a 14,000 seater stadium then?
Posted by: Meza, October 24, 2017, 8:53pm; Reply: 119
Because BP will become a health risk at some point.....and we cant afford to just build new stands.....we just dont simply have the money.  We need a new stadium....better facilities......toilets were i dont have to queue for 10 mins just to take a urine its not too much to ask.  Also many away fans tbink the ground and surrounding areas are awful.

I know many people who are not season ticket holders who will buy a season ticket if the new ground is built.
Posted by: Bigdog, October 24, 2017, 9:02pm; Reply: 120

Well only eighteen months ago 14000 wanted to watch Town play a game and the year before a couple of thousand more than that dragged their asses on a 360 mile trip. There is interest in the club out there,

There is no doubt in my mind that at least 6k season tickets will be sold first season at the new stadium, add 2-3k floating and away fans, we'll be around 9-10k. The extra capacity for derbies and cup games will bring in extra income without extra cost. It's amazing how many Town fans come out of the woodwork when there's a hint of success or something to be proud of.

What capacity do you suggest then? 5k? 6k? That'll be intimidating like you said you wanted. A stadium with twelve rows of seats all the way round and hardly conducive to create any atmosphere at all. It'll look more like Bradley on steroids..

At 14k everyone is in agreement we won't sell out, you've used the 10k extra figure yourself to try and exaggerate your own argument.

You've rudely called anyone who disagrees with you a moron (and by the looks of it that's everyone), what's your master plan then?

In my mind JF gets quite a few things wrong but the decision to build a 14k stadium is about bang on..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 24, 2017, 9:20pm; Reply: 121
In the Upper the match day experience is terrible, difficult to get into, poor toilets, poor refreshment facilities, arguably dangerous stairs up to the stand when the rain is heavy, pillars and at times apathetic stewarding. Paid £340 for a season ticket and sat on a broken seat for the first 5 games of the season.

Maybe JF and the board ought to take the "customer journey" in each stand for 4 games in a row then maybe things might move quicker.
Posted by: Bigdog, October 24, 2017, 9:23pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from HertsGTFC
In the Upper the match day experience is terrible, difficult to get into, poor toilets, poor refreshment facilities, arguably dangerous stairs up to the stand when the rain is heavy, pillars and at times apathetic stewarding. Paid £340 for a season ticket and sat on a broken seat for the first 5 games of the season.

Maybe JF and the board ought to take the "customer journey" in each stand for 4 games in a row then maybe things might move quicker.

And eat one of those hotdogs instead of fish and chips..
Posted by: ginnywings, October 24, 2017, 9:25pm; Reply: 123

If you build it, they will come...

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Plus building from new is way easier and cheaper than retro-fitting.
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 24, 2017, 9:28pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from Bigdog

[/b]

And eat one of those hot dogs instead of fish and chips..

And join the queue at the toilets at half-time.

Posted by: SteffiMariner, October 24, 2017, 11:06pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from Bigdog

Well only eighteen months ago 14000 wanted to watch Town play a game and the year before a couple of thousand more than that dragged their asses on a 360 mile trip. There is interest in the club out there,

Trips to Wembley... Any home games where we've needed a 14,000 seater stadium?

There is no doubt in my mind that at least 6k season tickets will be sold first season at the new stadium, add 2-3k floating and away fans, we'll be around 9-10k. The extra capacity for derbies and cup games will bring in extra income without extra cost. It's amazing how many Town fans come out of the woodwork when there's a hint of success or something to be proud of.

You're probably right, we could sell 6K in the first season, you know double the amount that we have sold for the last couple of years. This will be made up predominantly of the current 'floaters' that you mentioned above. I'm unsure how often we get at least 1K away fans, because with not wanting to sound logical, away fans don't generally travel to new stadiums as a rule. The odd one or two do, but not 1,000. Our average away following is probably half that. I would suggest when we get our stadium, we'd probably have 5K season tickets, 2K floaters and  we could leave 1K for away fans. We would then only need 2K extra seats for the bandwaggon jumpers that come to a couple of games a season.

What capacity do you suggest then? 5k? 6k? That'll be intimidating like you said you wanted. A stadium with twelve rows of seats all the way round and hardly conducive to create any atmosphere at all. It'll look more like Bradley on steroids..

I would suggest 10K as a maximum - if you look here http://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8382729 you will see that our average attendance hasn't hit 5 figures for 37 years. In fact, the average over 14K only 10 times since 1925. I would also be surprised if we've sold out more than 10 times in those 37 years

At 14k everyone is in agreement we won't sell out, you've used the 10k extra figure yourself to try and exaggerate your own argument.

As above,  http://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8382729, even our most successful season (98/99) only averaged just under 7K. This is where all those come out of the woodwork to jump on the success band wagon - in a higher division with higher away attendances. 10K is more than sufficient, no exaggeration to inflate my argument.

You've rudely called anyone who disagrees with you a moron (and by the looks of it that's everyone), what's your master plan then?

No, I've called people who think we are going to suddenly get 10,000 extra fans morons. We just aren't that well supported no matter what people may think. We have the odd good day, though it doesn't happen 23 times a season. New stadium would most likely generate average gates of 6-7K at most.

In my mind JF gets quite a few things wrong but the decision to build a 14k stadium is about bang on..

I think 14K is a big mistake as a few seasons in and then we'll be playing in a nice Blundell Park with 9K empty seats (more than the current capacity of Blundell Park).

Posted by: SteffiMariner, October 24, 2017, 11:08pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from ginnywings

If you build it, they will come...

It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Plus building from new is way easier and cheaper than retro-fitting.

Tell that to Darlington FC...
Posted by: GYinScuntland, October 24, 2017, 11:22pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from Bigdog

[/b]

And eat one of those hotdogs instead of fish and chips..

I lost interest when they stopped serving those chesseburgers.
Posted by: mimma, October 24, 2017, 11:55pm; Reply: 128
I agree that there is interest out there. In the pub on a Saturday night I always get asked about the game, how they are doing etc. People might stop going for a variety of reasons, but fans never stop supporting the Town. They just need a reason to start going again, and a new stadium provides that for a while at least. It's then about making sure they keep wanting to go.

Then there's the problem of attracting new players. Just about every team in the league have either moved to a new stadium, or at least tarted up their existing grounds to a reasonable standard. Any potential new player will take one look at Blundell Park and wouldn't fancy playing there and sodomist off to scunny or where ever the next offer comes from. It must be a nightmare getting new players (and managers for that matter!) to sign.

I started following Town in the late fifties. Then we could look down our noses at lesser clubs like scunny, Donny, Rotherham, Rochdale Crewe etc etc. Not anymore, and that is down to our fall from grace, and the lack of investment in keeping up with our facilities. Anyone that watches us on TV must think what a dump, it's like something from the thirties. It's the only time Grimsby features on the telly. And it isn't a good impression.

You only have to look at what the new cinema did for people that wanted to go out and watch a film. They would go to scunny of Hull rather than the flea pit down freemo. Now they go to the new cinema up meggies because it has modern facilities and is a better family experience.

Had their council not built the K.Com Stadium, Hull City might have gone out of business altogether instead of reaching the promised land.
Posted by: ginnywings, October 24, 2017, 11:56pm; Reply: 129

Tell that to Darlington FC...

Yeah, let's pick out Darlington. Let's not consider all the other teams who have had a boost from a new stadium.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 25, 2017, 7:54am; Reply: 130

I have been in loads of 10k + games at BP.If and as should be the aim we ever get back to the Championship you need an away end that holds a minimum 3k IMHO. I think you have between 10-15k GTFC supporters with a hard core of around 4k like others have said a new ground will see a lot of those floating supporters return even if it`s a one off. Most people are the same ie the cinema example if they come to a new ground and enjoy the day,facilities and better still the actual game they will return.This area is crying out for investment and whatever gets built needs to be standout something to be proud of that will stand the test of time building a shoe box ala Glanford Park should not be an option.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 25, 2017, 8:17am; Reply: 131
I think managing expectations as ever with GTFC will be a challenge. I would be happy with 4 stands like the new away end at Barnet good view, good capacity, enough turnstiles and a good sized bar and facilities underneath. If we had that it would be a quantum leap from where we are now.

I can't see us opening a Donny style "stadium" but you never know. What I do expect is that  it opens it won't be quite finished in terms of the overall development. I would also like to see some 4G pitches at the sides that can be used for kids tournaments on a Saturday morning with the participants sticking around for the game in the afternoon. In egg chasing Saracens do this and it works wonders to get th community feel going and put bums on seats
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 25, 2017, 11:11am; Reply: 132
You just have to look at the match day experience to see why a lot more fans will attend the new stadium.

Blundell Park,

No car parking,

Not enough toilets,

Poor viewing in a lot of seats,

Not enough food outlets

All these things will be rectified in the new stadium plus there will be an opportunity for the club to earn more money by hiring facilities out which means more money to get better players in,

Which will enable the manager to win more games,

Win more games = Bigger crowds.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 25, 2017, 12:12pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from grimsby pete
You just have to look at the match day experience to see why a lot more fans will attend the new stadium.

Blundell Park,

No car parking,

Not enough toilets,

Poor viewing in a lot of seats,

Not enough food outlets

All these things will be rectified in the new stadium plus there will be an opportunity for the club to earn more money by hiring facilities out which means more money to get better players in,

Which will enable the manager to win more games,

Win more games = Bigger crowds.

Quite right people are looking at this as just a football stadium and that is wrong.The Club will hopefully make money 7 days a week by having facilities to host corporate events etc.BP was great 25-30 years ago now it`s 25-30 years out of date and we need to move on it`s not just for GTFC the area needs this for a flagship new build.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 25, 2017, 12:59pm; Reply: 134
Remember when the Grimsby leasuire centre opened? That generated loads of interest and a new stadium would do similar, whether or not the club have the savvy to keep a feelgood factor going is a big question for me especially with the current regime.

I am not sure we'll get state of the art but I am sure it will be worth having and have enough added on to make money away from game days. Lots of opportunity providing we can be commercially brave enough.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 25, 2017, 1:26pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Remember when the Grimsby leasuire centre opened? That generated loads of interest and a new stadium would do similar, whether or not the club have the savvy to keep a feelgood factor going is a big question for me especially with the current regime.

I am not sure we'll get state of the art but I am sure it will be worth having and have enough added on to make money away from game days. Lots of opportunity providing we can be commercially brave enough.

You get out what you put in. When I first visited the Parkway Cinema it had the wow factor and for years previous I had traipsed to Hull so bad was the fayre on offer down Freeman St.Not sure when Parkway opened but it`s still good enough.Each of the 92 Clubs are unique and I know all biased to there own Club but I would have been pretty embarrassed if I were a Scunny fan and got dealt GP whilst it may well have been or be classed as adequate for them it`s a bloody eyesore.
Posted by: realist, October 25, 2017, 4:16pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Ah the liesure centre. A facility built completly in the wrong location leading to its early demise. Not a good example really.
Shouldnt we wait to see if the stadium is going to be built before we start a wish list?  As for some of the poor facilities at bp, the toilets and catering could easily be improved if fenty had enough brain cells to think about looking after the fans. He seemed engaged in a constant battle against his paying customers.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 25, 2017, 4:32pm; Reply: 137
Realist are you familiar with the term "mood hoover"? Read the post the point I was making about the lesuire centre was that it generated initial interest not what happened 15 years or so later.
Posted by: realist, October 25, 2017, 6:19pm; Reply: 138
Herts, I might have misunderstood what you meant but thought you were in favour of a short short term boost?  The project needs to be sustainable for the long term.
Keep your hair on, dont be a fun sponge
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, October 25, 2017, 6:46pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think managing expectations as ever with GTFC will be a challenge. I would be happy with 4 stands like the new away end at Barnet good view, good capacity, enough turnstiles and a good sized bar and facilities underneath. If we had that it would be a quantum leap from where we are now.

I can't see us opening a Donny style "stadium" but you never know. What I do expect is that  it opens it won't be quite finished in terms of the overall development. I would also like to see some 4G pitches at the sides that can be used for kids tournaments on a Saturday morning with the participants sticking around for the game in the afternoon. In egg chasing Saracens do this and it works wonders to get th community feel going and put bums on seats

I have never been to the Hive but have looked at photos on line. Surely we are aiming higher than that aren't we, in theory at least? It needs to be a flagship development, with a definite style (not 4 new stands per se) showcasing the latest in design and a real advantage to the town. If they are not planning that I wouldn't bother.
Posted by: golfer, October 25, 2017, 7:09pm; Reply: 140
If you have  shares in GTFC they are worth sweet F all at the moment-maybe a bag of smarties but if GTFC were given a new stadium how many bags of smarties would those shares be worth. If we did well and made a profit we could pay back those benign loans-so we wouldn't have any debt-so then how much would our shares be worth. Wouldn't we be lucky. We would have a new ground. we would have paid those loans back to the people we owed and all our share holders would have made a vast profit. Can't wait to get the ball rolling.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 25, 2017, 7:10pm; Reply: 141
Fun spong😂😂😂😂 love it great call Realist, and agree anything we do must have long term value
Posted by: psgmariner, November 3, 2017, 1:45pm; Reply: 142
Heard a few rumours about extreme and Peaks Parkway. An official update would be really helpful.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 3, 2017, 3:24pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from psgmariner
Heard a few rumours about extreme and Peaks Parkway. An official update would be really helpful.

There was one in the annual accounts statement .... "while there have been setbacks Extreme remain bouyant about the project"....or something similar....

which i think we can all pretty much guess at either..

the interested parties are no longer interested as the original proposed delivery timescales are way off
Extreme have been discovered to be nothing more than two yoofs working out of an office over an organic milk shake parlour

Dust off the council report lads..........which was the No.2 choice for best site in the world ever to relocate GTFC to ??

Posted by: psgmariner, November 3, 2017, 3:58pm; Reply: 144
Thanks moosey  - I haven't had chance to look through the accounts yet.
Posted by: Gaffer58, November 3, 2017, 4:11pm; Reply: 145
I know we are all very frustrated with the pace of the new stadium but everything is not sweet down the road at the scunts, there appears to be problems over there as well so with a little bit of patience (not another 20 years though) we will eventually get there.
Posted by: moosey_club, November 3, 2017, 4:50pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from Gaffer58
I know we are all very frustrated with the pace of the new stadium but everything is not sweet down the road at the scunts, there appears to be problems over there as well so with a little bit of patience (not another 20 years though) we will eventually get there.

no problem down the A180...they are not moving anymore....the seven lakes or whatever it was called has been cancelled and they are going to redevelop Glumford Park instead....

meanwhile over the river.....the former saviours and tickertape paraded now widely hated owners of The Tergers have upset the local community by removing the City Council's Plaque and Signage from the KER C wall in their ongoing spat with everybody else in Hull...

BP isnt that bad after all  ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, November 3, 2017, 4:50pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from psgmariner
Thanks moosey  - I haven't had chance to look through the accounts yet.

It was in the club statement that accompanied the accounts.
Posted by: TAGG, November 3, 2017, 8:31pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from Gaffer58

No we wont.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 3, 2017, 9:48pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from Gaffer58

Who cares about the Scunts? They've had a new ground once already!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 3, 2017, 10:27pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from Gaffer58

Why would that make us feel any better?
Posted by: Meza, November 6, 2017, 10:12pm; Reply: 151
Interesting read

[url]http://d3d4football.com/grimsby-towns-new-stadium-by-sam-barrick/[/url]
Posted by: Supersixty, November 7, 2017, 7:46am; Reply: 152
Quick question, its been reported that between 1400 and 1600 new houses are to be built as part of the funding for the development.
This to me is a reasonable sized village been plonked somewhere, anybody know its location ?, who owns the land is it currently brownfield or arable?

Posted by: golfer, November 7, 2017, 8:26am; Reply: 153
You know when you've had a few drinks and the next morning you wake up with a vague recollection of something being said the night before but don't know if it was real or something you have dreamt  That's how  I feel about this "project". Is it reality or just a pipe dream
Posted by: golfer, November 7, 2017, 8:39am; Reply: 154
Quoted from Supersixty
Quick question, its been reported that between 1400 and 1600 new houses are to be built as part of the funding for the development.
This to me is a reasonable sized village been plonked somewhere, anybody know its location ?, who owns the land is it currently brownfield or arable?

Council owned land-400 mtrs behind Crem. and 400mtrs. from cemetery on right hand side when leaving Grimsby
Posted by: oldun, November 7, 2017, 8:43am; Reply: 155
Quoted from moosey_club

There was one in the annual accounts statement .... "while there have been setbacks Extreme remain bouyant about the project"....or something similar....

which i think we can all pretty much guess at either..

the interested parties are no longer interested as the original proposed delivery timescales are way off
Extreme have been discovered to be nothing more than two yoofs working out of an office over an organic milk shake parlour

Dust off the council report lads..........which was the No.2 choice for best site in the world ever to relocate GTFC to ??

The statement and the lack of any other progress reports make me feel that the project may be in trouble. Could end in tears.
Posted by: golfer, November 7, 2017, 9:47am; Reply: 156
Where are these 1500 house buyers going to come from FFS -nearly all these new developments are having trouble selling houses-the over 50's houses off Humberston Ave are being reduced because there are no buyers .
Posted by: moosey_club, November 7, 2017, 10:56am; Reply: 157
Quoted from golfer
Where are these 1500 house buyers going to come from FFS -nearly all these new developments are having trouble selling houses-the over 50's houses off Humberston Ave are being reduced because there are no buyers .

Social housing providers will hoover up the smaller "town houses" quite readily i imagine, Shoreline have some properties on the "exclusive" Par 3 development off Humberston Ave i believe, Longhurst Havelok, Guinness , etc have taken up new build properties on developments that didnt appear to be selling very well.
The flat development on Victoria St (opposite the old Freddie Frith site/ Robin Hood Car Park ) is under Longhurst Havelok for instance.

Shouldnt be too long now before the multi's demolition goes to tender so within a year or so there might well be a large vacant brownfield site up for grabs with excellent existing public transport links and within walking distance to a large swathe of the Town.

Posted by: crusty ole pie, November 7, 2017, 11:53am; Reply: 158
Quoted from moosey_club

Social housing providers will hoover up the smaller "town houses" quite readily i imagine, Shoreline have some properties on the "exclusive" Par 3 development off Humberston Ave i believe, Longhurst Havelok, Guinness , etc have taken up new build properties on developments that didnt appear to be selling very well.
The flat development on Victoria St (opposite the old Freddie Frith site/ Robin Hood Car Park ) is under Longhurst Havelok for instance.

Shouldnt be too long now before the multi's demolition goes to tender so within a year or so there might well be a large vacant brownfield site up for grabs with excellent existing public transport links and within walking distance to a large swathe of the Town.

I have always said it will be in freemo when the flats are down and I know something about freeman way and all that block which will make even more space
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 8, 2017, 3:18am; Reply: 159
Quoted from moosey_club

Don't very often get down that way these days, are the new houses being built on the golf course.

Used to play the odd round there years ago.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, November 8, 2017, 4:34am; Reply: 160
Quoted from golfer

No wonder so many of those big houses are up for sale on millionaires row surprised J,F. still lives there tbh,

The Avenue as lost all it's prestige and then there is that goon that demolished his property without planning permission to build a through road to the new development,

What a eye sore that land is all over grown the travellers will be in there soon lol.
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 8, 2017, 8:47am; Reply: 161
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

No wonder so many of those big houses are up for sale on millionaires row surprised J,F. still lives there tbh,

The Avenue as lost all it's prestige and then there is that goon that demolished his property without planning permission to build a through road to the new development,

What a eye sore that land is all over grown the travellers will be in there soon lol.

Yeah pretty much Rutland Street now isn’t it? 😂... They may well be building plenty of new developments around the Humberston Avenue area but they’re all decent and in keeping with the area.

As for where any enabling development might be, I thought the old Western School site was earmarked as a potential location. It’s certainly big enough. Also has there been a taker for the land opposite Toll Bar?
Posted by: moosey_club, November 8, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 162
Quoted from arryarryarry

Don't very often get down that way these days, are the new houses being built on the golf course.

Used to play the odd round there years ago.

Yes bud. Now all architect designed green eco homes ... found it quite strange that for a development in one of the more prestigious post codes that part of the development is social housing.
Dont think it was a specific part of the original planning consent either, apart from the now usual "affordable housing provision" to be included. I imagine Shoreline got a discount for buying several properties.

Posted by: RoboCod, November 8, 2017, 9:45am; Reply: 163
Quoted from golfer
You know when you've had a few drinks and the next morning you wake up with a vague recollection of something being said the night before but don't know if it was real or something you have dreamt  That's how  I feel about this "project". Is it reality or just a pipe dream

I dreamt I was given a lovely bright red cap, along with the vision of the new ground. Can't find it anywhere, I assume it was also part of my dream..
Posted by: moosey_club, November 8, 2017, 10:35am; Reply: 164
Quoted from RoboCod

I dreamt I was given a lovely bright red cap, along with the vision of the new ground. Can't find it anywhere, I assume it was also part of my dream..

i had a similar dream....its a bit hazy but if i close my eyes i can still picture my red cap...there is some wording which i can just about make out as...i think its  The  GO NO GO Stadium...    how prophetic.  
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 8, 2017, 11:27am; Reply: 165
Quoted from moosey_club

Yes bud. Now all architect designed green eco homes ... found it quite strange that for a development in one of the more prestigious post codes that part of the development is social housing.
Dont think it was a specific part of the original planning consent either, apart from the now usual "affordable housing provision" to be included. I imagine Shoreline got a discount for buying several properties.

Cheers, that's probably why there seems to be quite a number of the larger houses down the Avenue up for sale.

Posted by: arryarryarry, November 8, 2017, 11:31am; Reply: 166
Quoted from RoboCod

Still got mine, it's currently in my will to leave to my grandson* so that when he grows up he can wear it at the first game in the new ground.

*Not been born yet. ;)
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 8, 2017, 12:45pm; Reply: 167
Did Conoco give the club £1 million up front and if they did do they still have naming rights ?
Posted by: moosey_club, November 8, 2017, 4:55pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from grimsby pete
Did Conoco give the club £1 million up front and if they did do they still have naming rights ?

Astute business by JF ...as Conoco no longer exist they cant demand the money back and we can re-sell the naming rights ... kerrching !!
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 8, 2017, 6:34pm; Reply: 169
Quoted from moosey_club

Astute business by JF ...as Conoco no longer exist they cant demand the money back and we can re-sell the naming rights ... kerrching !!

Oh that's good ,  8)
Posted by: golfer, November 8, 2017, 6:59pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from arryarryarry

Still got mine, it's currently in my will to leave to my grandson* so that when he grows up he can wear it at the first game in the new ground.

*Not been born yet. ;)

Bet they take it to help pay for your care home along with your savings and house.
Posted by: coddy60, November 8, 2017, 10:40pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from moosey_club

But they do exist, Im sat on a Conoco rig 80 miles east of GY right now...
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 9, 2017, 7:23am; Reply: 172

Telegraph front page today -

North East Lincolnshire Council's Planning Committee have just backed a plan to build 850 new homes at Scartho Top.
Posted by: LH, November 9, 2017, 7:42am; Reply: 173
Which was always in the local development plan anyway. Hardly news that.
Posted by: golfer, November 9, 2017, 8:17am; Reply: 174
Like I said before who are going to buy the houses if 1500 are needed to be built off Peaks Parkway to fund our new stadium. It seems pretty obvious that all the dithering about and stalling by various parties will finally bring the curtain down on our dream of a new stadium. Let's be realistic-"It aint gonna get dun"
Posted by: golfer, November 10, 2017, 8:26am; Reply: 175
Another 100 new houses at Hewitts Circus !!! ---no wonder we are getting nowhere with the funding-the council is not as stupid as we may think.
Posted by: oldun, November 10, 2017, 4:43pm; Reply: 176
Heard a rumour the new stadium was to have been called "The Dong", but now they have a new name it is back to the drawing board.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 4:25pm