Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: d3d4, October 18, 2017, 9:10am
Hi guys,

With that victory at Cheltenham last night you are now just 3 points off the play-offs but is that hiding the nature of the performances this season?  Sam Barrick, our resident GTFC season ticket holder is not happy and here is why [url]http://d3d4football.com/grim-times-for-the-mariners-by-sam-barrick/[/url]

Has last nights win changed anyone's views? thoughts?

James
Posted by: topuphere666, October 18, 2017, 9:20am; Reply: 1
Points wise we are where we would expect to be. The level of performance more noticeably at home is concerning, if we can address that then the attendances will slowly rise again.
Posted by: MarinerBen, October 18, 2017, 9:26am; Reply: 2
If you read the forum, you can answer your own questions.

I appreciate that you’ve created an independent media outlet for League 1 and 2, however, every time you advertise your site you’re asking about/for negativity.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 18, 2017, 9:27am; Reply: 3
Quoted from d3d4
Hi guys,

With that victory at Cheltenham last night you are now just 3 points off the play-offs but is that hiding the nature of the performances this season?  Sam Barrick, our resident GTFC season ticket holder is not happy and here is why [url]http://d3d4football.com/grim-times-for-the-mariners-by-sam-barrick/[/url]

Has last nights win changed anyone's views? thoughts?

James

He makes valid points but the reality is that we're probably mid-table in terms of budget and that will probably be reflected in we do/can achieve. I'm a ST holder too and whilst Saturday wasn't great, we looked pretty good in the 1st half and OK till we missed the penalty when we went flat and it's often easier to remember the last 30 minutes than the first hour.

Reality is that, after 6 years of non-league, pragmatic football is OK so long as you can see improvements. The big positives for me are how the midfield are improving - the negatives are the strikers that Slade has signed. It is a Work In Progress which is what you would expect with a new squad however 7 of last night's 11 were here last season.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 18, 2017, 9:46am; Reply: 4
I think TOC has it right interesting to see the form of Summerfield and Berret this term who are unrecognisable versus last term. Once all the lads are settled and maybe we have a half decent Jan window in terms of in's and outs we may have a good end of season which at the very least will give us something to build on in 18/19?
Posted by: Fat Cobra, October 18, 2017, 11:44am; Reply: 5
Ram it
Posted by: moosey_club, October 18, 2017, 12:06pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Fat Cobra
Ram it

Seconded. Currently he is in second third place only behind PPI cold call enquiries in the list of persistently annoying things in my life.

Post Edit - oops forgot about the Mrs.....

Rob - she definatley cant see this can she ?
Posted by: pontoonlew, October 18, 2017, 12:15pm; Reply: 7
My message to Sam would be that he's forgetting the football under Hurst wasn't great either.

If he wants to go watch lovely, easy on the eye football he'll have to go somewhere else. Perhaps he can try one of the 13 sides sat below us in the league this season.

I enjoy winning matches more than how we play, it's nice to play well and win. However, if on the way to those wins we put in a handful of boring performances (and still get a result) then that's fine by me.
Posted by: gtfc82, October 18, 2017, 12:58pm; Reply: 8
"Even Bignot (who hadn’t got a clue) played more inspired and freer flowing football than this"

Seriously?!!!! I stopped reading after that sentence!
Posted by: mariner91, October 18, 2017, 1:09pm; Reply: 9
Don't know why there is a myth that we played football under Bignot. We didn't. Look back on any just back thread and it's full of comments about how nobody knew what the plan was.
Posted by: gtfc82, October 18, 2017, 1:15pm; Reply: 10
Under Bignot the players never seemed to have a clue about where they were playing and what our system and strategy was! I'd love to see the article writer's examples of free flowing football while he was manager! We could all give examples of shambolic defending and ridiculous in game tactics and subs!
Posted by: oldun, October 18, 2017, 2:22pm; Reply: 11
Seems Slade is making fewer changes unless enforced.
Posted by: lowerfindus, October 18, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 12
I would always argue that pass and move football needs the right players and  a considerable amount of time for those players to get used to each other and the system in use.

It also looks bad, very bad before it looks good. When it works it's great. Direct, pragmatic, longball, #hurstball, #sladeball can all be made to work with limited players reasonably quickly. It never looks pretty and is dependant on results and individual players to excite (normally wingers, a goalscorer etc).

Mick McCarthy has made a career out of this with more success than failure including internationals.

What we do know is this hat Bignot wanted to play a more attractive style and never had enough players or the time to implement it.

On the other hand Hurst took the pragmatic approach rather than build anything that lasted more than the season thus we never built a team capable of getting both enjoyable football or the title.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 18, 2017, 8:56pm; Reply: 13
I think Bignot knew what he wanted but did not have the relationship building skills to get people on and off the pitch to trust and follow him.

Hurst couldn't build for more than a year as our income dictated we in the main had to offer 1 year deals to players.

I am not sure what Slade 2 will bring at the moment
Posted by: sydney, October 18, 2017, 9:30pm; Reply: 14
Come on Town!!
Better results
Consistent team selection
Just a couple of more additions either from injury return or jan window and who knows
You would be amazed how a few more positive posts would make a difference
Was proud to be a Town fan last night
Robins fans said we where one of the best sides they had played so far this season
3 more points please at Morecombe Sat 👍👍
Posted by: Maringer, October 18, 2017, 9:42pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from lowerfindus
On the other hand Hurst took the pragmatic approach rather than build anything that lasted more than the season thus we never built a team capable of getting both enjoyable football or the title.

He was certainly a very pragmatic manager, but let's not forget that several other teams each season had a lot more money to spend than us so could sign better players on higher wages than we could afford. I'd imagine that was of some relevance to our lack of a title challenge most seasons.
Posted by: lowerfindus, October 18, 2017, 11:02pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Maringer

He was certainly a very pragmatic manager, but let's not forget that several other teams each season had a lot more money to spend than us so could sign better players on higher wages than we could afford. I'd imagine that was of some relevance to our lack of a title challenge most seasons.

True to a point but as with every budget it's how you spend it.    It's also increasing obvious it's when you spend it.  We never had the benefit of a good start. Perhaps leaving recruitment right till the last minute, as we did, never gave us a chance of getting that momentum, generating that enthusiasm and being in the mix from the off. Playing catch up from the 3rd week of the season in that league gives you very little opportunity.

It also increases pressure on the side (see slade now) and crowd fluctuation at this level has a direct impact on cash available.
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 8:49pm