Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: gtfc98, October 17, 2017, 7:43am
Not sure if anyone has seen what our friends down the a46 have been doing but they’ve opened up a fanzone at home games. I was at a game on the continent a few months back and they’re all the rage there, great atmosphere and encourages you to go down even earlier. Reckon we could do something similar? Not sure where, perhaps in the corner of the pontoon and main?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lincoln-city-launch-new-fans-535281.amp
Posted by: Cloudy, October 17, 2017, 7:58am; Reply: 1
Quoted from gtfc98
Not sure if anyone has seen what our friends down the a46 have been doing but they’ve opened up a fanzone at home games. I was at a game on the continent a few months back and they’re all the rage there, great atmosphere and encourages you to go down even earlier. Reckon we could do something similar? Not sure where, perhaps in the corner of the pontoon and main?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lincoln-city-launch-new-fans-535281.amp

A sort of outside Trust bar?
Posted by: gtfc98, October 17, 2017, 8:37am; Reply: 2
Yeah with stuff going on though from what I can gather. They run kids activities etc
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 17, 2017, 8:51am; Reply: 3
We should have got a short term lease on the imp to do something similar
Posted by: moosey_club, October 17, 2017, 10:22am; Reply: 4
Thought thats what the trust bar was anyway in effect ??
Posted by: promotion plaice, October 17, 2017, 10:28am; Reply: 5
Quoted from moosey_club
Thought thats what the trust bar was anyway in effect ??

Yeah......without the dodgy British weather.

Posted by: Posh Harry, October 17, 2017, 7:54pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from gtfc98

Would have been a great idea the first year after promotion to take advantage of the feel good factor around the club, encourage more people to come along, more young fans and build a base for the future.

Unfortunately that ship has well sailed. As much as I don't like Lincoln, I can only admire the way they have tried to engage the fan base and look at the short, medium and long term rather then just thinking about tomorrow.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, October 17, 2017, 9:24pm; Reply: 7
Lincoln have been really smart in the way they've marketed the club to their community.  GTFC just haven't really bothered.  BP is a pretty unwelcoming place and people tend to show up late and leave as quickly as they can to avoid spending any more time in the place than they absolutely have to.

Just think how stupid the club were to allow a McDonalds to be built right outside, raking in thousands of pounds every game, same with the Imp and the BP hotel.  The club should have made sure they got the lions' share of this cash for themselves.
Posted by: chaos33, October 17, 2017, 10:06pm; Reply: 8
Intrigued to hear your explanation of how that should have been done....?
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 18, 2017, 12:38am; Reply: 9
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Lincoln have been really smart in the way they've marketed the club to their community.  GTFC just haven't really bothered.  BP is a pretty unwelcoming place and people tend to show up late and leave as quickly as they can to avoid spending any more time in the place than they absolutely have to.

Just think how stupid the club were to allow a McDonalds to be built right outside, raking in thousands of pounds every game, same with the Imp and the BP hotel.  The club should have made sure they got the lions' share of this cash for themselves.

And please explain just how the club could have stopped a McDonalds being built and also how they could could have stopped the Imp and BP Hotel from trading considering they have been there for donkeys years.
Posted by: barralad, October 18, 2017, 8:33pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from arryarryarry

And please explain just how the club could have stopped a McDonalds being built and also how they could could have stopped the Imp and BP Hotel from trading considering they have been there for donkeys years.

Absolutely....actually from the point of view of the Trust bars we aren't really even in competition with the B.P. hotel. We don't have the capacity to take many more drinkers..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 18, 2017, 8:44pm; Reply: 11
That would have been ironic the club put up a "nimby" protest about McDonalds opening on their door step😉
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 18, 2017, 9:19pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from HertsGTFC
That would have been ironic the club put up a "nimby" protest about McDonalds opening on their door step😉

I think I could have spotted a rare and protected lesser spotted Robertus Cumminus thrush bird nesting in the bushes where Mcd’s wanted to build if required. 😉
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 18, 2017, 9:38pm; Reply: 13
We've got two empty corners. Could set up tables and kegs there, and maybe a Curry Wurst stall.

Re: weather
Sure it's cold in Cleethorpes, but it's also pretty dry. Low average rainfall.
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 18, 2017, 9:52pm; Reply: 14
On a serious note. The Imp car park would be ideal
A couple of gazebos and tressle tables. Crates of beers and cider. Job done.
It would be irony at its best, actually encouraging away fans into the Imp.
But would be a big step forward in fan relations. It would go a long way in dispelling some of the negative views from some away supporters.  And I for one would definitely support it.
Posted by: Mariner16, October 19, 2017, 9:12am; Reply: 15
Did anyone go inside the outside tent at Plymouth last season? Quite liked it in there
Local band on, two bars
Posted by: moosey_club, October 19, 2017, 9:13am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Civvy at last
On a serious note. The Imp car park would be ideal
A couple of gazebos and tressle tables. Crates of beers and cider. Job done.
It would be irony at its best, actually encouraging away fans into the Imp.
But would be a big step forward in fan relations. It would go a long way in dispelling some of the negative views from some away supporters.  And I for one would definitely support it.

Toilets...facilities....seating.....lighting...cover...

a "fanzone" as far as i am concerned should only have a place at major tournaments where thousands of supporters without tickets can gather and watch the game on a big screen in the sunshiiiine.....anything else that is being proposed is "a bar facility".

Its a w@nk idea IMO.

Posted by: ginnywings, October 19, 2017, 9:53am; Reply: 17
The only fanzone i have been in was one at Wembley when we played FGR. It was good apart from being £10 for two pints and needing a second mortgage for burger and chips.
Posted by: LH, October 19, 2017, 10:15am; Reply: 18
Starting my own fanzone on Sidney Park next home game. Everyone welcome, bring your own white cider.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 19, 2017, 10:27am; Reply: 19
Quoted from LH
Starting my own fanzone on Sidney Park next home game. Everyone welcome, bring your own white cider.

Proving popular..there are half a dozen people there already...worrying kids and shouting at the ducks
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 19, 2017, 11:18am; Reply: 20
Quoted from moosey_club

Toilets...facilities....seating.....lighting...cover...

a "fanzone" as far as i am concerned should only have a place at major tournaments where thousands of supporters without tickets can gather and watch the game on a big screen in the sunshiiiine.....anything else that is being proposed is "a bar facility".

Its a w@nk idea IMO.

Ok, maybe a bit hasty in thinking that it would just require cover and drinks.  No doubt in todays climate with elf and safety it would take a lot more than common sense to get it up and running.

But as someone that at quite a few away matches has ended up in the 'away' supporters pub, only to wait 20 mins + to get served in an overcrowded pub. Then negotiating my way back to a table without spilling anything, I welcome the Fanzones.  I would still be quite happy to support one here should the chance arise.  

Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 19, 2017, 11:24am; Reply: 21
Do we truly have a home pub now? The BP hotel doesn't work for me
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 19, 2017, 11:31am; Reply: 22
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Do we truly have a home pub now? The BP hotel doesn't work for me

Pretty much CLPS high st is usually quite busy matchday with Town fans.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 19, 2017, 12:04pm; Reply: 23

on further thought Civvy...i think this could be something that should be considered for any new proposed stadium development.....the police do seem to have a handle on the travelling hoolie elements nowadays so should be no reason why such facilities at a new ground couldnt incorporate the opportunity for both sets of supporters to mingle pre match.
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 19, 2017, 12:26pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from moosey_club

on further thought Civvy...i think this could be something that should be considered for any new proposed stadium development.....the police do seem to have a handle on the travelling hoolie elements nowadays so should be no reason why such facilities at a new ground couldnt incorporate the opportunity for both sets of supporters to mingle pre match.

Probably the best way forward.  Or are you being quite cunning in suggesting it tie in with the new stadium ? Thus giving you several more years (if not longer) of a Fanzone free environment  ?? :-/
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 19, 2017, 1:26pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from moosey_club

So I heard this geezer Civvy who you are talking to he loves mixing with away fans especially if it involves dancing about with chains and bollards.  ;D
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 19, 2017, 1:41pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 1mickylyons

So I heard this geezer Civvy who you are talking to he loves mixing with away fans especially if it involves dancing about with chains and bollards.  ;D

With my back mate, I very much doubt it.  
The only dancing I do nowadays is at weddings.  And even then I end up looking like uncle Nobhead  ;D
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 19, 2017, 1:54pm; Reply: 27

With my back mate, I very much doubt it.  
The only dancing I do nowadays is at weddings.  And even then I end up looking like uncle Nobhead  ;D

I saw you busting a move at the Donny Dog`s a few years back I was most impressed you even dressed like John Travolta ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, October 19, 2017, 3:19pm; Reply: 28

Probably the best way forward.  Or are you being quite cunning in suggesting it tie in with the new stadium ? Thus giving you several more years (if not longer) of a Fanzone free environment  ?? :-/

Hehe.....by jove Holmes, you've cracked the case.  :)

My reluctance is admittedly borne out of ignorance on just WTF is a Fanzone tbh...it just sounds like a Premier League or Sky Sports generation idea so therefore instantly i am against it.

Pre match pint in a pub/bar...is all i desire...quite happy to mix with the opposition and chew the cud...one thing that the non league days were excellent for was a nice in the ground social club that welcomed all.
Was it Dagenham or maybe Ebbsfleet... where they had a beer festival on the day we played there ?

(friends)
Posted by: psgmariner, October 19, 2017, 3:51pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from moosey_club

Was it Dagenham or maybe Ebbsfleet... where they had a beer festival on the day we played there ?

(friends)

Ebbsfleet. They ran out too quickly from memory. What a weird place. Big shiny station then nowt for miles other than industrial units. I got there early and ended up in a greasy spoon as there wasn't a pub for miles. It was like a less glamorous version of Immingham.

Posted by: jock dock tower, October 19, 2017, 4:09pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from psgmariner

Ebbsfleet. They ran out too quickly from memory. What a weird place. Big shiny station then nowt for miles other than industrial units. I got there early and ended up in a greasy spoon as there wasn't a pub for miles. It was like a less glamorous version of Immingham.

Apart from some of the more notorious gulags in the old USSR, is there really such a place?

Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 19, 2017, 6:33pm; Reply: 31
Less glamorous than Immingham? Corby!
Posted by: moosey_club, October 19, 2017, 6:57pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Less glamorous than Immingham? Corby!

Haha    on the up now though isnt it ? ....was down there earlier on in the year and the big concrete town centre seems to be slowly getting demolished.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 6:32am