Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, October 16, 2017, 12:10pm
1 loss in 7
2 home clean sheets in a row

or

1 win in 5
Not scored in 2 home games

13 games in, and only Jones has scored more than 2...

After 13 games, we have 18 points, and we are only 5 points of the play-offs and 12 points above the relegation zone

This time last season we only had 2 more points under Hurst who everyone seems to love and wish we never let go, Yet slade needs to go?

After 13 games last season, Blackpool had 14 points, and Exeter had 13 points... these met in the play-off final.

There is more to it than the above, i get that, as Saturday was one of the worst games ive been to in a long long time.

However, if you didnt know the table, or results, and read this forum, you would think we was in chesterfields place right now...
Posted by: ginnywings, October 16, 2017, 12:22pm; Reply: 1
That's a very Slade way of looking at things. The points and league position don't concern me, the dire football and loss of supporters do.

Kudos for the positive spin though, it makes a change. ;D
Posted by: GrimRob, October 16, 2017, 12:37pm; Reply: 2
If we won the next six home games, no matter how it was acheived, BP would be full and buzzing again!
Posted by: ginnywings, October 16, 2017, 12:41pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from GrimRob
If we won the next six home games, no matter how it was acheived, BP would be full and buzzing again!

No doubt.

As some have said, the only way turgid football will be accepted is if it's winning football with a few goals thrown in.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, October 16, 2017, 12:46pm; Reply: 4
Which is pretty much what Slade delivered last time he was with us and that got us to the PO Final. The Football wasn’t great but we was hard to beat and at the end of the season we was in with a shout at promotion
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 16, 2017, 12:51pm; Reply: 5
Check out L2 attendances for Saturday, that tells you alll you need to know.

We'll be stop start to the 50 points mark then the season will fizzle out.
Posted by: Kris2, October 16, 2017, 1:04pm; Reply: 6
I feel like this was a conversation on here during the time Neil Woods was manager..
Posted by: GrimRob, October 16, 2017, 1:10pm; Reply: 7
Let's see what the transfer window brings before we write the season off. The next Michael Reddy could be on his way to BP - he might be already here, just not playing regularly. For all our deficiencies we are only a few points off the playoffs, one or two good signings and a clear run with a settled side might give our season a huge lift. I remember the year Mansfield came from nowhere and won the Conference, it can be done  :)
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 16, 2017, 1:18pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Which is pretty much what Slade delivered last time he was with us and that got us to the PO Final. The Football wasn’t great but we was hard to beat and at the end of the season we was in with a shout at promotion

We had Michael Reddy and Gary Jones, we have Hooper and Matt now. :-/
Posted by: Hagrid, October 16, 2017, 1:21pm; Reply: 9
Oh for a Lump! He was so good at what he did wasnt he
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 16, 2017, 1:31pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Kris2
I feel like this was a conversation on here during the time Neil Woods was manager..

With the FA Cup looming, the only Fishy thread that sticks out in my memory from Wood's time in charge is Poojah's rant.... in fact he was only caretaker then and yet he was still appointed. Madness!
Posted by: Maringer, October 16, 2017, 1:32pm; Reply: 11
We're not great, but imagine how the Mansfield fans must be feeling?

The much-lauded Evans in charge, bags of money spent during the summer yet just one point above us and with only 3 more goals scored. What about Lincoln? On a high after a great season, loads of money spent and just a couple of points above us with fewer goals scored.

I'm not expecting miracles from us this season, but hopefully we can keep in touch with the play-offs so the possibility of a late push is still there come March and April.
Posted by: denni266, October 16, 2017, 1:47pm; Reply: 12
As pointed out above  we got to the playoffs and came second... you get nothing for coming second in this game . nothing will happen in the next window.. we will still look like sunday league 5 , crows are on the down like  Mr Slade , People will not keep shelling out money to watch crap football
Posted by: moosey_club, October 16, 2017, 2:14pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from GrimRob

No it wouldnt.

1. at least half the away end would still be empty     ;)
2. when was the last time the home stands sold out ?

Gates would increase slightly, but to create a buzz we need entertaining some excitement , sorry but we do....
if Jones would have tucked the penalty away on Saturday the crowd would have been happier, the game would have been forgotten a bit quicker but the 3900 odd home supporters wouldnt have been spreading the word and excitement around the Town about how it took a penalty to win the game and how for much of the game we looked blunt and slow paced.
Posted by: Kris2, October 16, 2017, 5:28pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from arryarryarry

We had Michael Reddy and Gary Jones, we have Hooper and Matt now. :-/

Long ball game works fine when you have somebody fast enough to get to a punted ball before the defenders can touch it. Or at least good enough to challenge defenders in the air we seem to have neither.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 16, 2017, 8:50pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from moosey_club

Gates would increase slightly, but to create a buzz we need entertaining some excitement , sorry but we do....

For BP to fill up most of the crowd will not have seen many of the earlier games. By and large those who have attended the existing games will remain and any extra fans will be non-regular attendees. I know crowds have dropped off, but primarily it is league position which is going to drive people through the turnstyles for the first time. The whole reason for the play-off system is to give something to play for and try and keep the crowds up. Not many people will choose to watch months of meaningless football, no matter how entertaining it is.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 16, 2017, 9:45pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

And there were a lot of moans then about the style of play.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 16, 2017, 9:49pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from KingstonMariner

And there were a lot of moans then about the style of play.

There was but little did we know that would be by far our best finish for the next ten years+
Posted by: Grimbiggs, October 16, 2017, 10:10pm; Reply: 18
Some good points already made, but how many decent sides have we actually beaten yet?
At home we've beaten Crewe and Yeovil, both very poor teams, we've drawn with Colchester, Lincoln and Crawley, again pretty poor teams. Away we've beaten the relegation sides Chesterfield and Port Vale, and also Accrington, who are probably in a false position. Our performances and style of play on the whole, particularly at home, have been pretty mediocre. So whilst it is still early days, BASED on our performances to date, and the quality of opposition we've yet to face, realistically it pains me to say, but we're as high in the table now as we're likely to be this season.    
Posted by: gtfc98, October 16, 2017, 10:23pm; Reply: 19
We’re not bad but we’re also not great. Can see why there’s frustration because the football is sometimes dull. I think the hoof ball thing is a bit of a myth though and Slade is tarnished with it. I heard someone shout “HOOF” when McKeown kicked the ball out from a back pass on Saturday!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 16, 2017, 10:54pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Grimbiggs
Some good points already made, but how many decent sides have we actually beaten yet?
At home we've beaten Crewe and Yeovil, both very poor teams, we've drawn with Colchester, Lincoln and Crawley, again pretty poor teams. Away we've beaten the relegation sides Chesterfield and Port Vale, and also Accrington, who are probably in a false position. Our performances and style of play on the whole, particularly at home, have been pretty mediocre. So whilst it is still early days, BASED on our performances to date, and the quality of opposition we've yet to face, realistically it pains me to say, but we're as high in the table now as we're likely to be this season.    

Why? They're about where they were last season, and the season before - narrowly missed out on 3rd to Bristol Rovers and lost in the play offs.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, October 17, 2017, 7:01am; Reply: 21
Quoted from gtfc98
We’re not bad but we’re also not great. Can see why there’s frustration because the football is sometimes dull. I think the hoof ball thing is a bit of a myth though and Slade is tarnished with it. I heard someone shout “HOOF” when McKeown kicked the ball out from a back pass on Saturday!

Sorry about that....
Posted by: moosey_club, October 17, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 22
Quoted from GrimRob

For BP to fill up most of the crowd will not have seen many of the earlier games. By and large those who have attended the existing games will remain and any extra fans will be non-regular attendees. I know crowds have dropped off, but primarily it is league position which is going to drive people through the turnstyles for the first time. The whole reason for the play-off system is to give something to play for and try and keep the crowds up. Not many people will choose to watch months of meaningless football, no matter how entertaining it is.

Disagree.
The fans most likely to come back if results improve are those floating supporters that already came in the first place...as they already hold an interest for the club...to recruit full new support to boost the gate to capacity takes prolonged success over a season and the buzz around the place...ala Lincoln and their excellent season last year.
A few dodgy 1-0 wins wont give us that.
There needs to be a happy medium of excitement and results IMO.
Posted by: GrimRob, October 17, 2017, 2:37pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from moosey_club

Disagree.
The fans most likely to come back if results improve are those floating supporters that already came in the first place...as they already hold an interest for the club...to recruit full new support to boost the gate to capacity takes prolonged success over a season and the buzz around the place...ala Lincoln and their excellent season last year.
A few dodgy 1-0 wins wont give us that.
There needs to be a happy medium of excitement and results IMO.

The thing is the figures don't add up. We have lost maybe a few hundred regular supporters at most (season ticket renewals next season is another matter). For the ground to fill up we need a few thousand. The most likely thing to draw them to BP is the league table, it's unlikely many people will see more of the games than a few clips if they are not already going to them.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 17, 2017, 4:29pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from GrimRob

The thing is the figures don't add up. We have lost maybe a few hundred regular supporters at most (season ticket renewals next season is another matter). For the ground to fill up we need a few thousand. The most likely thing to draw them to BP is the league table, it's unlikely many people will see more of the games than a few clips if they are not already going to them.

Season ticket holders that i know...myself included...are doubting our own sanity right now and i am pretty much assured i WILL NOT be renewing next season based on ...

dire levels of excitement, entertainment and skill
the already promised price increase for next season ( regardless of where we finish )

i was only pulled into getting an ST this season to assure myself i could get tickets for the higher profile away games....wont be making that mistake next season UNLESS something drastically improves
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 9:28pm