Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GYinScuntland, October 10, 2017, 10:33am
Can anyone else remember when kebabs were actually good?
When the first one opened near me in the early eighties I could happily walk home holding a nice toasted pitta containing some yummy (although unidentifiable) meat, bit of salad and a big dollop of chilli sauce on top.
Just in my hand with the bare minimum wrapping, a bit of greaseproof paper.
Nowadays they're in polystyrene containers that you daren't tip either way because you'll get a stream of kebab urine down your jeans from the gloop inside.
Don't even attempt to pick it up as one because the pittas now are as much use as a snotty wet tissue. That's when they actually can be arsed to split the pitta and put the meat inside.
They usually just lay it in the bottom of the tray as a type of kebab urine soakaway.
Worse still are the lazy girl privates who try fobbing you off with the 2am equivalent of an Airfix model kit.
A tray of meat, tray of salad, pot of chilli, pot of garlic mayo and a cold pitta.
WTF use is that when you are trying to stagger home?

Kentucky Fried Chicken used to be good too.
Posted by: Maringer, October 10, 2017, 11:07am; Reply: 1
Depends where you go. The Kebab House in the marketplace used to be my go to kebabery when staggering home after a night out, but it went downhill when it changed hands. On a good night, the chips there were absolutely fantastic as well.

Not been there for a while but had one this year which was OK. Not brilliant, but OK.

I now go to Fattoush just around the corner and the chicken kebabs there are pretty good. Chips a bit disappointing, mind.

I'd never have a donner in Cleethorpes, however. They are generally pretty rubbish.

I was spoiled by the donner at Theo's Charcoal Grill in Leeds back when I was at University (a couple of decades ago) which was absolutely fantastic. Sad to see it closed down some years ago.
Posted by: Paris Mariner, October 10, 2017, 6:13pm; Reply: 2
You need to follow the UK Kebab awards on twitter or facebook. They will bring the best keeeeeebabs!
Posted by: Paris Mariner, October 11, 2017, 10:04am; Reply: 3
Abrakebabra!! http://www.britishkebabawards.co.uk/
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 11, 2017, 3:50pm; Reply: 4
If the one in the Market Place is the same one I'm thinking of, it provided some great after hours entertainment one night I was in there a few years back.

Actually probably 10 years back.

Proper 'leave it Gary he's not worth it' territory. Some bloke ended up with no shirt . One woman was slapping another bloke around the face. Some one else slipped on the floor. Blokes were marching up and down outside with puffed up chests. Plod and Plodetta turned up to calm things down. Which they did well but for one bloke who 'would not let it go'.

All harmless enough fun.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 11, 2017, 3:52pm; Reply: 5
But kebabs. Mmmm. Am in the Holy Land right now. I should be able to find a good one tonight.
Posted by: Simariner, October 12, 2017, 4:25pm; Reply: 6
Yea the Kebab House has gone right down hill.
Posted by: bradzmilne, October 12, 2017, 9:36pm; Reply: 7
Sadly not in meggies or GY - but there is a kebab house around the corner from me in Headingley called I am doner. It's branded as the 'only kebab you can enjoy sober' and I tell you what it's absolutely incredible - proper meat, halloumi cheese and freshly made wraps.... Bloody incredible - might even pop there now you know...  ;D
Posted by: bigbadmarinerbob, October 14, 2017, 4:41pm; Reply: 8
Kebab Shop in Waltham used to be good, but now got new people in it and its Cr@p now.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 1:03am