Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 27, 2017, 6:56pm
Just what is to blame at bp ? .......itv digital was so long ago most young fans don't even know what it is ......... managers ?  They can't all be crap ..  fans ? They raised 100k when all seemed lost  .......  the ground ?  Yes it is a excrement hole but it shouldn't have too much effect on the pitch ? ....... the players ? Some are better than others but they didn't asked to be signed did they ?  Could be the manager then ?  Any ideas anyone because I'm looking for a common link into why we have been utter excrement for 15 years ??
Posted by: barralad, September 27, 2017, 7:04pm; Reply: 1
Make your mind up. Is it the manager or not? I'm on tenterhooks here :o
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 27, 2017, 7:05pm; Reply: 2
I dont know , really I don't ..... it's so confusing  
Posted by: GYinScuntland, September 27, 2017, 7:13pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from fleabag1970
Just what is to blame at bp ? .......itv digital was so long ago most young fans don't even know what it is ......... managers ?  They can't all be crap ..  fans ? They raised 100k when all seemed lost  .......  the ground ?  Yes it is a excrement hole but it shouldn't have too much effect on the pitch ? ....... the players ? Some are better than others but they didn't asked to be signed did they ?  Could be the manager then ?  Any ideas anyone because I'm looking for a common link into why we have been utter excrement for 15 years ??

I left the box with the ex wife, not had contact with the kids since.
I blame ITV dig.....
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 27, 2017, 7:14pm; Reply: 4
Lol
Posted by: Jaws, September 27, 2017, 7:18pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from fleabag1970

ITV digital - no, too many clubs in the boat.
Manager - no, surely we'd get lucky once in 15 years
Fans - no, certainly not despite the constant attacks for having an opinion
Players - maybe, but depends on the budget

Can anyone tell me who has controlled the budget, recruitment and PR over the past 15 years... 'cause it might be them to blame!
Posted by: moosey_club, September 27, 2017, 7:22pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from fleabag1970
  Any ideas anyone because I'm looking for a common link into why we have been utter excrement for 15 years ??

Three things ...

have we ?  play offs, semi's, cup finals, promotion ......plenty of teams that would envy that....so utter sh1t ? Not really, succesful for the level we have been at....admittedly not where we would want to be but as we were ineligible for the Champions League then ..hey.

what are your realistic expectations given the current football heirarchy and climate ? Are your expectations perhaps too high ?

finally......what team in English football has maintained its expectations over the last 15 yrs ? Pretty sure if you ask fans of all clubs the majority will think they could have done better.
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 27, 2017, 7:23pm; Reply: 7
Mmmmmmmm you could be on to something there
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 27, 2017, 7:27pm; Reply: 8
You could be right moosey ?  Who knows  ? Football ehh
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 27, 2017, 7:30pm; Reply: 9
FFS  Another Anti=Fenty thread.
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 27, 2017, 7:33pm; Reply: 10
Answers ? Ideas ?    I'm just an arm chair supporter .
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 27, 2017, 7:34pm; Reply: 11
The reaction on here is just getting a joke . There's some people who are bordering on the hysterical. It's embarrassing to read now . Tell you what how about doing something positive at home games and try and create a positive atmosphere instead of fooking sitting there whinging like sad tw.ats
Posted by: barralad, September 27, 2017, 7:35pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from chaos33
Ooh great - more of the same old moaning sh1t from fleabag and friends. We haven't had a thread like this for at least three hours where the same 10 people can post a load of repetitive, bitter, unbalanced, spiteful and boring old to$$. Have you got any answers or ideas smart guy?

It's becoming totally boring now to the clear detriment of this once bloody good message board. GTFC might not be the only entity that is stagnating.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 27, 2017, 7:53pm; Reply: 13
As i have said before, most teams of our standing spend the majority of seasons just pootling about in mid table, with the occasional good season and a few bad ones thrown in. There are 23 other teams in the league, all with a squad of professionals, all trying their damnedest to win games of football by fair means or foul.

It's not so much the results that bother me as the boring football we have to endure for most of the games. It's lacking excitement at BP and i think that is more of a concern and the reason gates are suffering. It's just flat most of the time.
Posted by: Ahh Sole, September 27, 2017, 7:56pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from barralad

It's becoming totally boring now to the clear detriment of this once bloody good message board. GTFC might not be the only entity that is stagnating.

It may be better confined to less threads, I grant you that but I've never heard so much bad feeling as I did last night. No matter what gloss you put on it, there appears to be very little positivity towards the club at present. Results may be very similar to last season but performances aren't, we just look like Slade season 1 from 13 years ago. Personally, I've invested in 3 season tickets this season and, 5 games in, I wish I hadn't bothered - there's no plan on the pitch, there's no plan off the pitch and instead of planning to make something happen, our plan is to wait for something to happen. 15 years of a plan that's not worked - does that work for you?
Posted by: barralad, September 27, 2017, 8:14pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Ahh Sole

It may be better confined to less threads, I grant you that but I've never heard so much bad feeling as I did last night. No matter what gloss you put on it, there appears to be very little positivity towards the club at present. Results may be very similar to last season but performances aren't, we just look like Slade season 1 from 13 years ago. Personally, I've invested in 3 season tickets this season and, 5 games in, I wish I hadn't bothered - there's no plan on the pitch, there's no plan off the pitch and instead of planning to make something happen, our plan is to wait for something to happen. 15 years of a plan that's not worked - does that work for you?

I think I'm intelligent enough to get the message from one thread. What doesn't work for me is reading the same thing on thread after thread. I've been around long enough to see far worse than the way things are panning out after 10 games.  The response to the current situation is wildly disproportionate and given that there seems to be a core of a dozen or so posters repeating the same stuff maybe not as well supported as you might think.

Posted by: friskneymariner, September 27, 2017, 8:16pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
The reaction on here is just getting a joke . There's some people who are bordering on the hysterical. It's embarrassing to read now . Tell you what how about doing something positive at home games and try and create a positive atmosphere instead of fooking sitting there whinging like sad tw.ats

Who gave you the god given right to decide what is or isn't appropriate to debate on here,what part of discussion forum are you having trouble with.
Posted by: Teesknees, September 27, 2017, 8:22pm; Reply: 17
We seem to live in a very toxic blame culture these days! We have to blame something or someone!  But who's to blame for that!

Are the other 23 teams in Division 2 saying the same thing week in week out!  

We were in division 4 when I started watching town in the late 60's and early 70's and must have been poor some weeks and better some other weeks that's what division 4 teams were like and that's what we're like now! I can't remember thinking who's to blame!

I haven't had a very good day at work, the woman on the post office on the way home gave me a funny look so maybe it was her fault! Or I'll blame the cat as he's here so must have done something wrong at some point which contributed to my bad day! Ultimately it must be my parents fault.. b stards!
Posted by: Ahh Sole, September 27, 2017, 8:25pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from barralad

I think I'm intelligent enough to get the message from one thread. What doesn't work for me is reading the same thing on thread after thread. I've been around long enough to see far worse than the way things are panning out after 10 games.  The response to the current situation is wildly disproportionate and given that there seems to be a core of a dozen or so posters repeating the same stuff maybe not as well supported as you might think.

Haven't we all? Trouble is that it's about opinions and mine, and several near me last night, is that we look like a team that will struggle not thrive this season.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 27, 2017, 8:30pm; Reply: 19
After six years of non-stop promotion campaigns and three managers last season it's going to take time to build up momentum again! The class of 2016 has gone, somebody (whether that is RS remains to be seen) needs to be given the time to move us up from our lower mid-table perch. It might take another six years. Hull were in this division for nine years I think in the 90s, and for most of that time were nowhere near the top!
Posted by: barralad, September 27, 2017, 8:38pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from friskneymariner

Who gave you the god given right to decide what is or isn't appropriate to debate on here,what part of discussion forum are you having trouble with.

Ah the indignant "My right to free speech" card is played! What part of we don't need to hear the same thing said in multiple different threads are you having trouble with.
Posted by: Ahh Sole, September 27, 2017, 8:40pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from GrimRob
After six years of non-stop promotion campaigns and three managers last season it's going to take time to build up momentum again! The class of 2016 has gone, somebody (whether that is RS remains to be seen) needs to be given the time to move us up from our lower mid-table perch. It might take another six years. Hull were in this division for nine years I think in the 90s, and for most of that time were nowhere near the top!

Firstly, I don't see why we have to be cross-referenced against other clubs and secondly, we were a couple of points off the play-offs 6 months ago with a manager that many thought was clueless. At least, under Bignot, you could spend the first half-hour either laughing at Gunning or trying to work out who was supposed to be playing where. Under Slade, you know exactly what's going to happen and the game plan is to win (his phrase) as many first contacts and second contacts as possible.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 27, 2017, 8:42pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from barralad

This, when we won the other week there must have been one thread about the game with only a handful congratulating the team, when we lose it's the same excrement stirrers stirring the pot.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 27, 2017, 8:43pm; Reply: 23
As i asked you yesterday, why do you never post when we win? You never offer anything remotely positive about the team or club. Seem to revel in us losing so you can post 5 threads about the same thing and witter on with your " free speach" line. Boring
Posted by: barralad, September 27, 2017, 8:44pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Teesknees
We seem to live in a very toxic blame culture these days! We have to blame something or someone!  But who's to blame for that!

Are the other 23 teams in Division 2 saying the same thing week in week out!  

We were in division 4 when I started watching town in the late 60's and early 70's and must have been poor some weeks and better some other weeks that's what division 4 teams were like and that's what we're like now! I can't remember thinking who's to blame!

I haven't had a very good day at work, the woman on the post office on the way home gave me a funny look so maybe it was her fault! Or I'll blame the cat as he's here so must have done something wrong at some point which contributed to my bad day! Ultimately it must be my parents fault.. b stards!

Great point. In all seriousness it is probably the fault of the digital age. When Town fans were debating the disatrous 1969 re-election season they probably felt the same as some do on here now but their conversations were restricted to a few talking in pubs. Now it's shared with hundreds in seconds!
Posted by: GrimRob, September 27, 2017, 8:46pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Ahh Sole

Firstly, I don't see why we have to be cross-referenced against other clubs and secondly, we were a couple of points off the play-offs 6 months ago with a manager that many thought was clueless. At least, under Bignot, you could spend the first half-hour either laughing at Gunning or trying to work out who was supposed to be playing where. Under Slade, you know exactly what's going to happen and the game plan is to win (his phrase) as many first contacts and second contacts as possible.

Bignot tried to change too much too quickly. If he had played his cards right he could have had a decent spell here and achieved things. But following a succesful regime with mass change the way meant he did he was always going to be shown the door at some stage. Slade's a steadier pair of hands as you say, had we had him first and the Bignot it might have worked out better!
Posted by: Meza, September 27, 2017, 8:48pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from ginnywings
As i have said before, most teams of our standing spend the majority of seasons just pootling about in mid table, with the occasional good season and a few bad ones thrown in. There are 23 other teams in the league, all with a squad of professionals, all trying their damnedest to win games of football by fair means or foul.

It's not so much the results that bother me as the boring football we have to endure for most of the games. It's lacking excitement at BP and i think that is more of a concern and the reason gates are suffering. It's just flat most of the time.

With me struggling to get to any games this season, i wonder Ginny, if the match has a slight "reserve game to it" i will need to watch full match highlights to see if the football is as bad as whats been said.  I can remember, even during when Shaun Pearson was in the side that we never really played much from the back, but instead playing it long.  It would frustrate me when the defenders that had time either decided to play it back to McKeown, who would then launch it long, or play it long themselves.  I'm trying to remember what the defenders did during Buckleys days.

Still it wouldn't surprise me that come Saturday we'll end up stuffing the imps and playing some good football too lol.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 27, 2017, 8:49pm; Reply: 27

At what point did I decide that ? All u spout is misery . You're life must be one big black cloud u miserable c.unt
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 27, 2017, 8:50pm; Reply: 28
This is absolutely fukin hilarious people are moaning about the football being boring and the club not moving forward hmm...... feels exactly like the regurgitated topics on here.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 27, 2017, 8:54pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from barralad

Ah the indignant "My right to free speech" card is played! What part of we don't need to hear the same thing said in multiple different threads are you having trouble with.

Had you been there last night I am sure you would have heard plenty round you expressing their discontent.
Posted by: Cayman_mariner, September 27, 2017, 8:57pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from fleabag1970

It's Henry, the mild-mannered janitor!!

[img]http://media.tenor.co/images/0e98aa0e5f21b381a64c520e02ea5e32/raw[/img]
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 27, 2017, 9:01pm; Reply: 31

Had you been there last night I am sure you would have heard plenty round you expressing their discontent.

Considering he wasn't well and the amount of years Barra has been following Town and going H&A I think thats a cheap shot!
Posted by: ginnywings, September 27, 2017, 9:02pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Meza

With me struggling to get to any games this season, i wonder Ginny, if the match has a slight "reserve game to it" i will need to watch full match highlights to see if the football is as bad as whats been said.  I can remember, even during when Shaun Pearson was in the side that we never really played much from the back, but instead playing it long.  It would frustrate me when the defenders that had time either decided to play it back to McKeown, who would then launch it long, or play it long themselves.  I'm trying to remember what the defenders did during Buckleys days.

Still it wouldn't surprise me that come Saturday we'll end up stuffing the imps and playing some good football too lol.

Funnily enough, someone made that comment last night. Said it feels like a well attended reserve game or a pre season friendly.

There doesn't seem to be any mavericks in football now. Someone like Pouton or Cumming to get you out of your seat. It feels like 22 massive blokes who are super fit trying to kick a football to death.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 27, 2017, 9:03pm; Reply: 33
It was not meant to a cheap shot but  a factual response,I sit very near him and I heard plenty of people expressing their discontent,please not not ascribe motives to my post which were not there.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 27, 2017, 9:07pm; Reply: 34
With hindsight, one thing we should have done is moved to a new ground in the 1980s, when we were successful and had move money.  "You should fix a house roof in the summer, not the winter".

The Main Stand was built in 1901 and was already decayed by then.  It was not rocket-science that we needed a new ground even then.  This would have produced increased and new commercial and income steams for the Club.

Even then the eBoard lacked ambition and a strategic vision or plan.

Instead we demolished the Barratt Stand (which had no foundations) built the Upper Findus stand as a compromise.  The lack of toilets and severe conjestion between the stairs and the facilities is criminal.

Who wants to bring their families to BP?

We could have contributed some income to a new stadium with the wages spent on an expensive Chinaman. We were also unlucky not to get a fair tribunal deal for Kevin Drinkell.  

The vast majority of clubs who have invested in new stadiums have prospered and got out of Division 2.  Some such as Hull, Brighton and Bradford etc have got to the Premiership.  Donney and Scunny got to the Championship.   Only Coventry have made a complete disaster of getting a new stadium.

A new stadium in the 1980s would have prevented us going up the same path now with less money and fewer fans.  I also think that BP is not only unattractive for fans, but does not show ambition to potential new players.

(I have ignored the impact of managers over the years and the appointment of these managers).  

Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 27, 2017, 9:07pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from HertsGTFC
This is absolutely fukin hilarious people are moaning about the football being boring and the club not moving forward hmm...... feels exactly like the regurgitated topics on here.

And people moaning about the moaning!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 27, 2017, 9:08pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from ginnywings

Funnily enough, someone made that comment last night. Said it feels like a well attended reserve game or a pre season friendly.

There doesn't seem to be any mavericks in football now. Someone like Pouton or Cumming to get you out of your seat. It feels like 22 massive blokes who are super fit trying to kick a football to death.

Bit in bold is bang on for me, though from what we have seen so far Osborne has a bit about him, all being well he will be fit soon. Maybe the game needs less strength and conditioning?
Posted by: GYinScuntland, September 27, 2017, 9:09pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from GrimRob

Cracking spin on trying to claw our way out of non league obscurity.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 27, 2017, 9:20pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Cracking spin on trying to claw our way out of non league obscurity.

Ah scuntland! Thoroughly enjoyed the match last Wednesday, fantastic experience, shame the football wasn't up to scratch, but would easily go again, sold that spare ticket to a Turk at stellingen station for €10 :( but was plenty of empty seats. Love the fact you can have beer and watch the game, atmosphere was second to none!
Posted by: barralad, September 27, 2017, 9:25pm; Reply: 39
It was not meant to a cheap shot but  a factual response,I sit very near him and I heard plenty of people expressing their discontent,please not not ascribe motives to my post which were not there.

It 's OK I didn't consider it any sort of cheap shot. Our little corner of the Pontoon is hardly known for raging positivity though is it?   ;D
Posted by: Ahh Sole, September 27, 2017, 9:27pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from GrimRob

Bignot tried to change too much too quickly. If he had played his cards right he could have had a decent spell here and achieved things. But following a succesful regime with mass change the way meant he did he was always going to be shown the door at some stage. Slade's a steadier pair of hands as you say, had we had him first and the Bignot it might have worked out better!

I'm not going to argue about it but I believe Slade has signed more players than Bignot did.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 27, 2017, 9:27pm; Reply: 41
Perhaps one of the underlying reasons that there are so many threads about this is that a significant number of fans are experiencing anomie due to their constant disenfranchisement and need a cathartic outlet.
Posted by: Ahh Sole, September 27, 2017, 9:30pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from GrimRob

You make the bit in bold sound like a hardship - please remember that this was caused by relegation to the Dog & Duck League!
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 27, 2017, 9:34pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from barralad

These so called core of a dozen or more posters must be sat near each other in the Youngs stand as there were several shouts of "this is crap" and "sort it Fenty".
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 27, 2017, 9:35pm; Reply: 44
Perhaps one of the underlying reasons that there are so many threads about this is that a significant number of fans are experiencing anomie due to their constant disenfranchisement and need a cathartic outlet.

Isn't that what the Fishy is for?
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 27, 2017, 9:36pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from barralad

It 's OK I didn't consider it any sort of cheap shot. Our little corner of the Pontoon is hardly known for raging positivity though is it?   ;D

No Ian should be renamed the Waldorf and Stadtler Stand.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 27, 2017, 9:40pm; Reply: 46
Don't want to bring Hurst into the conversation again but he did well at 2 clubs before he joined us and since he left, he rescued a team from a perilous situation and now has them flying at the top of League 1. It took him ages to sort us out and still there was an element of luck to our promotion. Perhaps some fans are right and there just isn't the infrastructure here for a manager to succeed. Hurst and Bignot have both had a pop at our club since they left and also while they were here.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 27, 2017, 9:42pm; Reply: 47

Hands up those who had to look up the word anomie.  :)
Posted by: barralad, September 27, 2017, 9:42pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from arryarryarry

These so called core of a dozen or more posters must be sat near each other in the Youngs stand as there were several shouts of "this is crap" and "sort it Fenty".

And that has precisely what to do with there being a core of a dozen or so on here who start and contribute to the majority of threads of a negative nature?
Posted by: Ahh Sole, September 27, 2017, 9:43pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from ginnywings

The idea of Dembele being described as massive is the most amusing thing I've read on here in the last 24 hours.
Posted by: barralad, September 27, 2017, 9:44pm; Reply: 50

No Ian should be renamed the Waldorf and Stadtler Stand.

:)
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 27, 2017, 9:44pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from ginnywings

Hands up those who had to look up the word anomie.  :)

And disenfranchisement and cathartic   :)
Posted by: GYinScuntland, September 27, 2017, 9:45pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Ah scuntland! Thoroughly enjoyed the match last Wednesday, fantastic experience, shame the football wasn't up to scratch, but would easily go again, sold that spare ticket to a Turk at stellingen station for €10 :( but was plenty of empty seats. Love the fact you can have beer and watch the game, atmosphere was second to none!

Missing my first Lincoln game ever as flying out 5am Friday, playing Bremen in the Norderby.
Glad you enjoyed it, knew you would and did you notice the relaxed atmosphere with the Old Bill?
Mind you there never is trouble with Dortmund because of what's happened in the past.
Saying that though, can you imagine the police overkill if someone had died in a previous fixture say between Town and Lincoln? instead of treating the fans as adults.
It's a completely different experience.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 27, 2017, 9:45pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Isn't that what the Fishy is for?

Yes that is what I am saying.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 27, 2017, 9:48pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from ginnywings
Don't want to bring Hurst into the conversation again but he did well at 2 clubs before he joined us and since he left, he rescued a team from a perilous situation and now has them flying at the top of League 1. It took him ages to sort us out and still there was an element of luck to our promotion. Perhaps some fans are right and there just isn't the infrastructure here for a manager to succeed. Hurst and Bignot have both had a pop at our club since they left and also while they were here.

Oddly enough though a number of players who played under Hurst said our facilities where decent for non league.....................If Bignot was that bothered about the S&C coach he'd have used the money he wasted on Gary Whilde to get one in on a "locum" basis. He also moaned like fcuk about only having one training pitch but tuned down numerous offer of pitches from around the Town.

Remeber Managers at every level make excuses for a living.
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 27, 2017, 9:49pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from fleabag1970

After giving it a lot of deep thought I've decided to blame it on the boogie.

Posted by: ginnywings, September 27, 2017, 9:53pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Ahh Sole

The idea of Dembele being described as massive is the most amusing thing I've read on here in the last 24 hours.

That's why i said "feels like". The little guys like Dembele struggle to make an impact in the game nowadays. Small skillful players don't prosper in the English game generally, which is probably why he ended up at the Nike academy in the first place.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 27, 2017, 9:55pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from promotion plaice

After giving it a lot of deep thought I've decided to blame it on the boogie.

Not the sunshine or moonlight?
Posted by: Garth, September 27, 2017, 9:58pm; Reply: 58
It all went South when Trump appeared on the scene, we`ve been that bad that I started getting bored attending Wembley so many times with the odd Cardiff Stadium thrown in ;D
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 27, 2017, 9:59pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from promotion plaice

And disenfranchisement and cathartic   :)

magnificis mea ?
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 27, 2017, 10:50pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Missing my first Lincoln game ever as flying out 5am Friday, playing Bremen in the Norderby.
Glad you enjoyed it, knew you would and did you notice the relaxed atmosphere with the Old Bill?
Mind you there never is trouble with Dortmund because of what's happened in the past.
Saying that though, can you imagine the police overkill if someone had died in a previous fixture say between Town and Lincoln? instead of treating the fans as adults.
It's a completely different experience.

Must have seen about 10 all night. Plenty of friendly stewards.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 28, 2017, 7:19am; Reply: 61
Quoted from arryarryarry

The Main stand was the same one bloke even shouted to RS about getting the ball on the floor cos he couldn't see it in the fog.Dave Moore at that point had to look away he was nearly dying with laughter ;D
Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 28, 2017, 7:25am; Reply: 62
You would like to think with RS being an experienced Manager he has a game plan. I don`t like his traditional style of play personally BUT he will pick up more than enough points to keep us away from danger playing that way.I can only speculate but I assume we are in transistion til he gets enough players in of his type and enough players out to afford them before he makes a move on League 1. I would bet this time next Season Town are top 6 and challenging for top 3 whether the fans will back this and stick it out treading water so to speak for 12 Months is questionable? Looking back over the years one thing as stood out usually before we go on a Promotion charge we often have some success in a Cup prior. Now if RS could get us to at least round 3 of the FA Cup and a game against a Prem team..................
Posted by: moosey_club, September 28, 2017, 8:54am; Reply: 63

Is that a rival to the McArthur Glen chain ?  
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 28, 2017, 9:35am; Reply: 64
Town will finish in the top half this season . The of Asante will be like a new signing and guarantee goals .
Posted by: rancido, September 28, 2017, 1:50pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from 1mickylyons
You would like to think with RS being an experienced Manager he has a game plan. I don`t like his traditional style of play personally BUT he will pick up more than enough points to keep us away from danger playing that way.I can only speculate but I assume we are in transistion til he gets enough players in of his type and enough players out to afford them before he makes a move on League 1. I would bet this time next Season Town are top 6 and challenging for top 3 whether the fans will back this and stick it out treading water so to speak for 12 Months is questionable? Looking back over the years one thing as stood out usually before we go on a Promotion charge we often have some success in a Cup prior. Now if RS could get us to at least round 3 of the FA Cup and a game against a Prem team..................

Maybe a fair point but he has signed 11 new players and re-signed 2 so one could conclude that these are his type of players.
I don't like the " blame game culture " that exists these days because mostly there are too many variable factors to pin things down to one specific thing. Having said that what happens on the pitch is down to the players and those players are coached and selected to play by the manager. I make no bones about the fact that I never wanted " The Nearly Man " back and I think his choice of players, tactics and results indicate ( at least to me anyway ) that he is past his best ( just like professional footballers do in the twilight of their careers).
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 28, 2017, 8:28pm; Reply: 66
It looks to me like he hasn't found his best 11 with the changes made each week . Or possibly he has to keep changing the team to raise performances each week to get the most out the squad .
Posted by: chaos33, September 28, 2017, 9:01pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from ginnywings

That's why i said "feels like". The little guys like Dembele struggle to make an impact in the game nowadays. Small skillful players don't prosper in the English game generally, which is probably why he ended up at the Nike academy in the first place.

Dave Gilbert did alright though 20 odd years ago. Maybe we should get Dembele watching Diddy vids!  :)
Posted by: Maringer, September 29, 2017, 9:09am; Reply: 68
There are some similarities between Gilbert and Dembele. Both like to beat the defender several times before doing anything with the ball!

Different types of player though. Gilbert was a bit stockier but I can still remember games where he never got going if the full-back had the nouse to give him a hefty whack early on (of the sort which would probably draw a red card in today's game!).
Posted by: grimps, September 29, 2017, 10:07am; Reply: 69
I blame the council for not helping us get a ground 20 years ago when we was a championship club
Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 29, 2017, 11:05am; Reply: 70
Quoted from Maringer
There are some similarities between Gilbert and Dembele. Both like to beat the defender several times before doing anything with the ball!

Different types of player though. Gilbert was a bit stockier but I can still remember games where he never got going if the full-back had the nouse to give him a hefty whack early on (of the sort which would probably draw a red card in today's game!).

Gilbert scored a few goals ea Season .Dembele needs to add goals to his game and quickly so far an exciting player with little end product but pleased to say he gets you out the seat with excitement every time he starts a run hopefully a hat trick tomorrow ;D
Posted by: Grimal, September 29, 2017, 12:21pm; Reply: 71

Please explain in a language that I being of a humble Lincolnshire upbringing will understand. I gave Oxford and Cambridge a miss. ;)

Posted by: realist, September 29, 2017, 12:40pm; Reply: 72
The fans are pi$$ed off and need somewhere to vent their frustrations
Posted by: cannylad68, September 29, 2017, 1:08pm; Reply: 73
Also you can blame it on the Bossa Nova.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 29, 2017, 3:12pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Grimal

Please explain in a language that I being of a humble Lincolnshire upbringing will understand. I gave Oxford and Cambridge a miss. ;)

We are all drunk off
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 29, 2017, 3:15pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from realist
The fans are pi$$ed off and need somewhere to vent their frustrations

Think you have captured the quintessential element of what I was conveying.
Posted by: realist, September 29, 2017, 4:06pm; Reply: 76
Precamini old chap
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 29, 2017, 4:09pm; Reply: 77
Magnificis mea?
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 10:42am