Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, September 24, 2017, 9:08pm
Of the eight games we have played which also took place last year we are 2 points better off! Mansfield was a 3 point negative swing but it was offset by Crewe in the previous game.

Game - Last Year - This Year - Difference

Stevenage a L - L 0
Wycombe a L - L 0
Donny H L - D +1
Crewe H L - W +3
Mansfield A W - L -3
Accrington A D - W +2
Yeovil H W-W 0
Newport A D-L -1

On balance we're on target to repeat last year's mid-table finish. I'd take that now with a view to targeting next yield for a top 7 spot, provided we stick with RS. If we don't they I would allow for another "transitional" year. The club has generally been more successful sticking with a stable management team. Swapping managers rarely yields quick fixes. There are still players on the books who the current manager inherited, plus he has yet to see every team first hand at this level.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 24, 2017, 9:15pm; Reply: 1
Perhaps we could repeat the Dean Court performance of Newell's first year,by carrying JF shoulder high for avoiding relegation.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 24, 2017, 9:23pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from friskneymariner
Perhaps we could repeat the Dean Court performance of Newell's first year,by carrying JF shoulder high for avoiding relegation.

A never to be forgotten moment which still makes me laugh. Especially as he learned so much from that near miss to make sure the next season  ;D would result in...relegation!
Posted by: Cloudy, September 24, 2017, 9:25pm; Reply: 3

A never to be forgotten moment which still makes me laugh. Especially as he learned so much from that near miss to make sure the next season  ;D would result in...relegation!

Laugh? I cringed at the time and feel very uncomfortable being reminded about it!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 24, 2017, 9:29pm; Reply: 4
I am not sure we need an analyst to tell us we are going to be average again this term.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 24, 2017, 9:30pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from friskneymariner

Courtesy of Luton's 30 point deduction if I remember rightly!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, September 24, 2017, 9:54pm; Reply: 6
I remember looking at that and being more disgusted by it than I was when I stepped in Alsatian police dog  sh.it on the pitch .
Funny how you always remember truly cringeworthy moments.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 24, 2017, 10:12pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I am not sure we need an analyst to tell us we are going to be average again this term.

We need an analyst to tell as to why contrary to all our experiences we live in hope.
Posted by: Bigdog, September 24, 2017, 10:19pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Average might still be a bit of a stretch for us this season Herts..
Posted by: GrimRob, September 24, 2017, 11:15pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Bigdog

Average might still be a bit of a stretch for us this season Herts..

That was what I was thinking when I looked at the results so far. Although we came 14th last year we were only 8 points off the play-offs. We are 2 points better off with around 1/5th of the season gone, so that equates to 10 extra points after 46 games  :)

For all the soul searching and predictions of doom  we are only 4 points off the play-offs now with two home games to come!!
Posted by: lukeo, September 25, 2017, 6:48am; Reply: 10
4 points in the next 2 home games is a reasonable request
Posted by: moosey_club, September 25, 2017, 11:57am; Reply: 11
Quoted from lukeo
4 points in the next 2 home games is a reasonable request

So you would accept a point from the Lincoln game then ?  In reality we as a club should only be expecting to  beat Col U tomorrow night.

Losing to Lincoln is not something the supporters will swallow at all and if we do, i think i will lose my computer for a week or so as i dont imagine the reaction on here will be pleasant.

If you had to lose one game this week then tomorrow would be my preference. If you had to drop any points then again tomorrow would be my preference.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, September 25, 2017, 12:14pm; Reply: 12
Having watched us enough now I think GrimRob is about right here. We are on course for a mid table season - 14th sounds about right to me. Enough quality and nous to avoid relegation not enough for promotion.

To be fair to the club they have invested heavily in off field improvements, hopefully this will bear fruit in the next couple of seasons and this is a building for the future season. If thats the case I'd like to see Clifton given more of a go in the not too distant future.
Posted by: Caesar, September 25, 2017, 12:26pm; Reply: 13
Surely including Donny is questionable at best considering this year  it took place in the boycott trophy?  

I am coloured by the games that I have seen and I feel like we are much worse at the moment than last year.  However wasn't at our last 2 wins  and at least we have stopped having players sent off so at least that is a bonus.
Posted by: Jaws, September 25, 2017, 12:39pm; Reply: 14
Pretty sure we lost to Donny 1-0. Played away from home as there was some non-event at BP that night.
Posted by: Stew0_0, September 25, 2017, 1:22pm; Reply: 15
I am hopeful we can improve further once Osbourne(J), Asante and Clements return.

With there omissions, particularly in midfield, we are having to play with a central midfielder that was out on loan in the conference and Berrett who was barely in the first 11 last year. Akwasi should offer good competition / options from bench too.

Add to this we finished all first 5 games with 10 men, I would like to think we improve as the season progresses.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 25, 2017, 1:29pm; Reply: 16
It is as a consequence of very poor dealings in the transfer market during the close seasons compounded by Paul Hurst's poor signings
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 3:28am