Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Brazilnut, September 20, 2017, 5:05pm
Can anyone recommend an author with at least 4 books to down load on my kindle for a week away .....usually read Steve Leather, Mo Hayden, Vince Flyne , Clancey , Ludlum , Cussler , Forbes  Archer

all suggestions welcome
Posted by: Maringer, September 20, 2017, 5:20pm; Reply: 1
If you like 'thrillers', try Reamde by Neal Stephenson. He's better known for SF and historical fiction, but this one turns into a clever world-spanning thriller, albeit after a slow start. Warning: over 1,000 pages.
Posted by: grimslaa, September 21, 2017, 10:36am; Reply: 2
Really enjoy Dan Brown's books if you've not read those
Posted by: kamakazebear, September 22, 2017, 7:02am; Reply: 3
I always turn to John Grisham books when away, usually cheap on the kindle and easy to read
Posted by: Brazilnut, September 22, 2017, 4:03pm; Reply: 4
read Dan Browns thanks and some of Grisham ......but that is a good shout thanks
Posted by: ginnywings, September 22, 2017, 7:23pm; Reply: 5
For holiday reading i like Dean Koontz or James Patterson.
Posted by: PPMariner, September 22, 2017, 7:35pm; Reply: 6
Jo Nesbo - Harry Hole detective series, won't find better.
Posted by: Town Monkey, September 27, 2017, 3:01pm; Reply: 7
Completely agree with Jo Nesbo, great books.  Ian Rankin is always good and I've also enjoyed a number of Gerald Seymour's books.  

For something a bit different, Stephen Fry's novels are pretty good too.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), October 28, 2017, 7:15am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Brazilnut
Can anyone recommend an author with at least 4 books to down load on my kindle for a week away .....usually read Steve Leather, Mo Hayden, Vince Flyne , Clancey , Ludlum , Cussler , Forbes  Archer

all suggestions welcome

Bit late for your week away mate, my favourite is Stephen Leather so you've good taste. Though I haven't tried the Nightingale stuff, not keen on supernatural. Love the Spider Shepherd series, Leather is a genius IMO.

The obvious for me, looking at your reading list are Chris Ryan and Andy Mcnab. Mcnabs Nick Stone series is into about it's 15th release now and getting very tired IMO, I couldn't finish his last book Cold Blood but the first dozen or so are brilliant.
Posted by: monkeyboy, November 3, 2017, 6:20pm; Reply: 9
Terry Pratchet
Posted by: moosey_club, November 4, 2017, 11:35pm; Reply: 10
For a fascinating and often humourous series of books examining various human  personalities and traits try the works of Roger Hargreaves.
Posted by: RonMariner, November 6, 2017, 9:11pm; Reply: 11
The 'Coroner' series by Matthew Hall are pretty good if you like crime fiction. There are about six of those. all pretty good.

If its action adventure you want check out the Lee Child's 'Jack Reacher' books. There are about 21 of them, so plenty to choose from.

If Dan Brown is your thing other authors such as Steve Berry's Cotton Malone series and Scott Mariani's  Ben Hope books are decent reads and often have a historical angle to them.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 29, 2018, 8:33pm; Reply: 12
David Baldacci, Lee Childs (Reacher) and Tom Wood all write exciting thrillers (action, spy and assassin etc). I have read nearly all their books.

Sorry for posting late.  I don't often look at non-football - although same as "football" these days.   :(
Posted by: codcheeky, January 30, 2018, 11:21am; Reply: 13
Can recommend Bernard Cornwell , particularly The Last Kingdom books 10 now, and The Grail Quest Books, Also enjoyed Conn Iggledon's books that follow Genghis Khan and his family, exciting, well researched and fast paced
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 30, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from codcheeky
Can recommend Bernard Cornwell , particularly The Last Kingdom books 10 now, and The Grail Quest Books, Also enjoyed Conn Iggledon's books that follow Genghis Khan and his family, exciting, well researched and fast paced

I read Cornwell's Agincourt novel and it seemed just a re-hash of Sharpe. Working class lad who's a dab hand with a missile weapon, fights the French, dodgy comrades and upper class prejudice, becomes an officer/gentleman at arms. Errr...that's it. Is the Last Kingdom series better? I enjoyed the TV series.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 3:10pm