Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 16, 2017, 4:56pm
3 wins in 4, moving up the table, closer in points to the play offs than the relegation places.  If you are a glass half full kind of person, then you'll be happy tonight.

Probably a few on here who are disappointed with the result as it puts a dampener on the Bignot shouldn't have been sacked, Slade out, Fenty out stuff.  No doubt if Town lose away at Newport next weekend and Amond scores, the haters will be back out in force.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, September 16, 2017, 4:59pm; Reply: 1
We are in good form.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 16, 2017, 5:02pm; Reply: 2
Well done Town, much batter week, at least we are heading in the right direction on the pitch.
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 16, 2017, 5:06pm; Reply: 3
I think the grudge is firmly with fenty .
Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 16, 2017, 5:08pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Well done Town, much batter week, at least we are heading in the right direction on the pitch.

You cod have made a typo in your post.  Then again, maybe it was a nicely plaiced pun :-)
Posted by: somersetmariner, September 16, 2017, 5:13pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Guess who's eating fish and chips tonight !
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 16, 2017, 5:38pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from somersetmariner

Guess who's eating fish and chips tonight !

I am as it happens! Predictive IPad rubbish!
Posted by: grimps, September 16, 2017, 5:44pm; Reply: 7
Slade had answered his critics in the right manor , I'd  give him another week now  ;D
Posted by: LH, September 16, 2017, 5:56pm; Reply: 8
Hi Mrs Fenty!
Posted by: RichMariner, September 16, 2017, 5:56pm; Reply: 9
Great win today to follow up on what was a good win on Tuesday.

These two wins have changes our league position and gives everyone - the players, manager and fans - a lift to brighten the mood, but it doesn't change my opinion that we have learnt nothing from our time in non-league.

The issues are wider and long-standing, and they're just as relevant tonight as they were last Saturday night.

Naturally, defeats draw more attention to wider problems, and wins help people forget about them temporarily.

But to suggest today's win would disappoint any Town fans who have a downer on Fenty/Slade/the board is totally ludicrous. I'm delighted we won and I'd love to see more of the same.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, September 16, 2017, 6:03pm; Reply: 10
some managers wouldve started trying strange formations, or making excuses, but slade and town seem to have quietly stuck to their game plan and worked harder to get results, so well done to them
Posted by: chaos33, September 16, 2017, 6:14pm; Reply: 11
I said 1 week ago, that a 'decent result on Tuesday followed by a win today and the end wouldn't be nigh' and I'm really happy to say that things look much better from mid table. Feared the worst when I saw the centre midfield pairing, but got to be happy with another 3 points. Can't stand the current Fenty hate campaign - or rather,that it's taken over pretty much every thread on the board, and prefer to concentrate on the football, so got to be happy tonight.
Posted by: newarkmariner, September 16, 2017, 7:13pm; Reply: 12
chuffed to bits and we have 2 more points than after 8 games last season :)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 16, 2017, 7:35pm; Reply: 13
Well one thing you can't dispute is Slades passion after we scored the second they almost equalised straight away due to a bit of uncertainty in defence.

Slade went absolutely ballistic with our defenders to the amusement of the main stand and later the referee and linesman who were becoming ever more blind to shenanigans against Matt in particular.  

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 16, 2017, 7:41pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from LondonMariner43
3 wins in 4, moving up the table, closer in points to the play offs than the relegation places.  If you are a glass half full kind of person, then you'll be happy tonight.

Probably a few on here who are disappointed with the result as it puts a dampener on the Bignot shouldn't have been sacked, Slade out, Fenty out stuff.  No doubt if Town lose away at Newport next weekend and Amond scores, the haters will be back out in force.

The whole point of the forum is to discuss the Mariners, for good or bad. 99.9% on here and at BP want the Mariners to win every game, but the point of a forum is to discuss things as they unfold over the course of a season. That being the case a win will attract mainly favourable reaction, and a defeat the reverse. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Regardless of any result some subjects are always up for discussion - the manager, the players and the board. Football is a passionate game, and I might disagree with people who have their views, like this post, but so what ?  
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 16, 2017, 7:42pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Well one thing you can't dispute is Slades passion after we scored the second they almost equalised straight away due to a bit of uncertainty in defence.

Slade went absolutely ballistic with our defenders to the amusement of the main stand and later the referee and linesman who were becoming ever more blind to shenanigans against Matt in particular.  

I particularly enjoyed seeing him jump for every header and kick every ball in the last few minutes.
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 16, 2017, 7:45pm; Reply: 16
If we average taking 2 points more per 8 games then we'll end up with 73/74 points which should see us nicely in the play offs and I never really remember us being in any great form ever last season. I still have some serious concerns about our team.

1. The defence is too slow, teams with decent quick players will exploit that and easily beat us.

2. I can't see 1 of the strikers scoring frequently. Matt, Vernon and even JJ look decent players but none will score often enough. Jones might do but he seems to have regressed from last season, he didn't offer anything of note today.

3. We have an imbalanced sqaud, we have too many strikers and wingers (I'd get rid of Kelly and Cardwell now if I could but you can't, plus Asante might be good but that's no use if he's never going to be fit) but in central midfield bizarrely we are light with McAllister always injured, Osborne out until Christmas and Clements seemingly frozen out, that leaves us with Summerfield, Berrett (who both played well today I thought) and Rose. Likewise we have no cover at left back and only 1 spare centre back and Osborne has played twice in two seasons because of injuries. Basically we have 4 players who are superfluous for one reason or another.

If we can get our best XI out there more often than not then we'll float around upper to mid mid-table but I doubt we'll challenge for the reasons stated
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, September 16, 2017, 8:57pm; Reply: 17
There is always the January window, or has that been abolished ?
Posted by: jock dock tower, September 16, 2017, 9:15pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from LondonMariner43

I think you mistake "haters" with folk who may have different viewpoints to yourself. Don't forget it's a public forum, so it is a free for all at times, but at the end of the day we're all Town - and that's what really matters?
Posted by: excusebeef, September 16, 2017, 9:35pm; Reply: 19
How the he'll did the OP GET so many crosses.
Posted by: excusebeef, September 16, 2017, 9:36pm; Reply: 20
*hell
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 16, 2017, 10:24pm; Reply: 21
Oddly enough we have 2 more points than we did this time last season.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 16, 2017, 10:35pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Mariner_09
If we average taking 2 points more per 8 games then we'll end up with 73/74 points which should see us nicely in the play offs and I never really remember us being in any great form ever last season. I still have some serious concerns about our team.

1. The defence is too slow, teams with decent quick players will exploit that and easily beat us.

2. I can't see 1 of the strikers scoring frequently. Matt, Vernon and even JJ look decent players but none will score often enough. Jones might do but he seems to have regressed from last season, he didn't offer anything of note today.

3. We have an imbalanced sqaud, we have too many strikers and wingers (I'd get rid of Kelly and Cardwell now if I could but you can't, plus Asante might be good but that's no use if he's never going to be fit) but in central midfield bizarrely we are light with McAllister always injured, Osborne out until Christmas and Clements seemingly frozen out, that leaves us with Summerfield, Berrett (who both played well today I thought) and Rose. Likewise we have no cover at left back and only 1 spare centre back and Osborne has played twice in two seasons because of injuries. Basically we have 4 players who are superfluous for one reason or another.

If we can get our best XI out there more often than not then we'll float around upper to mid mid-table but I doubt we'll challenge for the reasons stated

Shut the fck up....Cardwell deserves a chance....he scored a few pre season, looks decent and i think can count himself unlucky not to have started regularly. I truly believe if he was given the benefit of playing in a front two for a few games he would prove his worth.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 16, 2017, 11:05pm; Reply: 23
Funny old game, it's amazing how quick five defeats in six can turn into three wins in four.

I'm glad we are hitting some form, is it purely coincidental that this improved series of results has coincided with the change in formation?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 16, 2017, 11:36pm; Reply: 24
I think the OP is way off the mark. Of course we're all happy with a win.

Rich and Jock have it spot on. You can enjoy the result without changing your opinion that there is a fundamental problem at the club.

As for the use of the word 'hate' I think London Mariner is dramatising the situation where some people think there should be a change in control because they have no confidence in JF. Either that or he needs to look up the definition.
Posted by: grimps, September 17, 2017, 3:24am; Reply: 25
Well if we're having a go at the chairman and manager then we arent on the players backs.
At least Slade has kept his mouth shut and got his head down and come home with the goodies(sign of an experienced manager).
Hurst might have been having a go at us in the press or telling us how spoilt we are
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 10:01pm