Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), September 13, 2017, 7:12am
Players will make errors, even the best of them.

Managers will make mistakes, even the best of them.

Chairmen and boards will make mistakes too, even the best and richest of them.

Football supporters can be and are the most fickle and emotionally reactive people you will ever meet. Some are capablle of creating an unhealthy toxic atmosphere.

Be very very careful what you wish for. Because time and again, toxic elements get their own way, only to be left looking foolish with egg on their face
Posted by: pizzzza, September 13, 2017, 7:38am; Reply: 1
Morning John!
Posted by: forza ivano, September 13, 2017, 7:49am; Reply: 2
Quoted from 120790

Football supporters can be and are the most fickle and emotionally reactive people you will ever meet. Some are capablle of creating an unhealthy toxic atmosphere.

Be very very careful what you wish for. Because time and again, toxic elements get their own way, only to be left looking foolish with egg on their face

Wise words getyourfactsright. You forgot to add that fans should know their place and defer to their elders and betters. And of course, that although supporters keep the club afloat by spending hundreds of thousands of pounds every season it is completely unreasonable for them to a ) have an opinion and b) God forbid, for them to expect to be taken into account

Posted by: oochiad, September 13, 2017, 8:03am; Reply: 3
Yes knee jerk reactions after only 6 games has been a little ridiculous. I mean according to some se we're going to get absolutely thumped last night............UTM
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 13, 2017, 8:14am; Reply: 4
Quoted from oochiad
Yes knee jerk reactions after only 6 games has been a little ridiculous. I mean according to some se we're going to get absolutely thumped last night............UTM

Don't see how a 2-1 win at Stanley puts right all the issues off the pitch but hey ho....
Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 13, 2017, 8:26am; Reply: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't see how a 2-1 win at Stanley puts right all the issues off the pitch but hey ho....

What are the supposed issues off the pitch?

Compared to many clubs, we are in a great position.  I don't understand who the Fenty out brigade have lined up to take majority ownership of the club.  Much rather have a local owner who loves the club than some billionaire ready to sell us down the river when things go wrong.  JF isn't perfect but who is? However he is a fan first and that counts for a lot.
Posted by: Bigdog, September 13, 2017, 8:30am; Reply: 6
Quoted from 120790

So opening up a debate about the lack of funding at the club, how we've been left behind over the past couple of decades and how poor the end product on the pitch isn't a valid one to have?

Are you saying that our great leader cannot accept any criticism constructive or otherwise and would act in a way to jeopardise the club's existence rather than listening to valid concerns? Does he think he should be above any kind of criticism at all and we should shut up and just suffer in silence and take whatever is served up?

I'll tell you what pal, if you call it being fickle after loyally putting up with years of decline before dropping out of the league, sticking through the club in numbers during the embarrassment of being a non league club for six years and raising money to get us out of there, then finally lose patience watching what seems like perpetual dross, watch other similar sized clubs progress and start to ask ourselves do we deserve better than this after all this time, then you don't know the meaning of the word loyalty.

JF had big enough shoulders to engineer himself the position and responsibility he's in, so he should have big enough shoulders to bear the responsibility and any criticisms from the club's paying public. There is a mood change that cannot be ignored.

The club needs substantial investment and new ideas beyond securing a new stadium, there's no doubting that fact. Some of the footballing decisions have been terrible and are worthy of scrutiny for a start. The major question is.. How active is JF being in trying to address these issues, because it seems like he doesn't want to at all.

To call GTFC fans fickle is a travesty. Yes moods can swing from result to result but the feelings over how our club has been run over the last couple of decades won't go away. It is not our duty to shut up, it is the board's duty to improve GTFC by searching for significant investment, that's is what they are supposed to be there for, it's even written in the club's annual account statement.

Fickle after all this time. Give over!

Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 13, 2017, 8:36am; Reply: 7
It's amazing. One win and the blinkers are back on. excrement facilities, excrement stadium, treatment of fans, Checkatrade farce, Clee Chronicle fiasco, lack of clarity on anything remotely controversial such as Bignot sacking etc etc
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), September 13, 2017, 8:38am; Reply: 8
Quoted from forza ivano

Wise words getyourfactsright. You forgot to add that fans should know their place and defer to their elders and betters. And of course, that although supporters keep the club afloat by spending hundreds of thousands of pounds every season it is completely unreasonable for them to a ) have an opinion and b) God forbid, for them to expect to be taken into account

The comedy in people thinking that I, Ascend, am John Fenty, is just about as comically laughable as some of the opinions and wishes on this messageboard directed at John Fenty.

Have your opinions all you like, it doesn't change the context of my original post "Be very careful what you which for". The alternative to John Fenty may be very very bleak
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), September 13, 2017, 8:43am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Bigdog

So opening up a debate about the lack of funding at the club, how we've been left behind over the past couple of decades and how poor the end product on the pitch isn't a valid one to have?

Are you saying that our great leader cannot accept any criticism constructive or otherwise and would act in a way to jeopardise the club's existence rather than listening to valid concerns? Does he think he should be above any kind of criticism at all and we should shut up and just suffer in silence and take whatever is served up?

I'll tell you what pal, if you call it being fickle after loyally putting up with years of decline before dropping out of the league, sticking through the club in numbers during the embarrassment of being a non league club for six years and raising money to get us out of there, then finally lose patience watching what seems like perpetual dross and start to ask ourselves do we deserve better than this after all this time?

JF had big enough shoulders to engineer himself the position and responsibility he's in, so he should have big enough shoulders to bear the responsibility and any criticisms from the club's paying public. There is a mood change that cannot be ignored.

The club needs substantial investment and new ideas beyond securing a new stadium, there's no doubting that fact. Some of the footballing decisions have been terrible and are worthy of scrutiny for a start. The major question is.. How active is JF being in trying to address these issues, because it seems like he doesn't want to at all.

To call GTFC fans fickle is a travesty. Yes moods can swing from result to result but the feelings over how our club has been run over the last couple of decades won't go away. It is not our duty to shut up, it is the board's duty to improve GTFC by searching for significant investment, that's is what they are supposed to be there for, it's even written in the club's annual account statement.

Fickle after all this time. Give over!

Fickle yes. There is no doubt that our supporters have stuck by the club, continued to pay their money and continued to attend. But there are many within this that are still fickle in their opinion of and attitude towards the one person that has given us a life line and something to support, in the absence of any other rich man of Oligarch that wants to come and have a play at being a football club owner.

Have your opinions all you like. I haven't said that you shouldn't have opinions. What I have said is very clear, "Be careful what you wish for" as the alternative to John Fenty is likely to be very bleak.  

Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 13, 2017, 8:45am; Reply: 10
Quoted from 120790

The comedy in people thinking that I, Ascend, am John Fenty, is just about as comically laughable as some of the opinions and wishes on this messageboard directed at John Fenty.

Have your opinions all you like, it doesn't change the context of my original post "Be very careful what you which for". The alternative to John Fenty may be very very bleak

Well it's so long since there was an alternative to Mr Fenty, many of us can't remember what it would be like. Someone who treated the fans with more respect would be a decent start.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), September 13, 2017, 8:57am; Reply: 11
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well it's so long since there was an alternative to Mr Fenty, many of us can't remember what it would be like. Someone who treated the fans with more respect would be a decent start.

John Fenty does not treat the supporters disrespectfully. He is approachable and I am sure that his rationale is to treat as he finds. If you treat him poorly, then why would he treat you with respect.

Neither should he pamper to the supporters whims. Because in the fan base, there are hundreds of opinions and alternative opinions on how he should direct the club. What would you have him do, respond positively to all suggestions? Of course he can't. He has to be his own man and direct the business in the manner which he see's fit.

Keep going John, you are doing a fine job
Posted by: Cloudy, September 13, 2017, 9:02am; Reply: 12
Quoted from 120790

John Fenty does not treat the supporters disrespectfully. He is approachable and I am sure that his rationale is to treat as he finds. If you treat him poorly, then why would he treat you with respect.

Neither should he pamper to the supporters whims. Because in the fan base, there are hundreds of opinions and alternative opinions on how he should direct the club. What would you have him do, respond positively to all suggestions? Of course he can't. He has to be his own man and direct the business in the manner which he see's fit.

Lets just say in my experience I totally and utterly disagree with you
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 13, 2017, 9:03am; Reply: 13
Quoted from 120790

I'm doing this on a phone so I apologise for not being able to copy the link but there's a letter today from the terminally ill Barnsley chairman to their fans which possibly illustrates how to treat a loyal support base.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2017, 9:09am; Reply: 14
He threw us a lifeline years ago after the ITV Digital farrago for which we are grateful. He then extended loans to the club to cover what many see as problems of his own making. Including that offer of support back in what was it2011 when the Trust (inc members) caved in to his demands to handover shares so he wouldn't be outvoted.

Things could just as easily become better under new control as worse Ascend.

But if we continue as we are we could be in for a very rough time. The goodwill of the promotion season has been squandered by his refusal to take on board the wishes of the supporters. In fact I'd go as far as to say people have been alienated to the point where a minority are protesting at matches. I don't think many people will join them for now but that chanting is just the tip of the iceberg.

From listening to people as we left the ground last night there's a lot of ill feeling. And that was the hardcore who trek to Lancashire on a wet Tuesday night. I saw faces there complaining and shouting Fenty out who I've seen at games for at least 20 odd years. Town through and through. Hardly fickle.

Others might be less vocal but simply stop turning up and we die through apathy.

So I agree things could be worse and the protest/ill feeling might be aimless or undirected towards an acheiveable realistic goal at the moment, but it can't be ignored or shrugged off as the leavings of the fickle few.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2017, 9:11am; Reply: 15
Whinging not 'leavings'! ;D
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), September 13, 2017, 9:19am; Reply: 16
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm doing this on a phone so I apologise for not being able to copy the link but there's a letter today from the terminally ill Barnsley chairman to their fans which possibly illustrates how to treat a loyal support base.

We are not Barnsley. We don't have other significant investors like Barnsley do in addition to Patrick Cryne.

Plus, there are many people in Grimsby that are just as grateful to John Fenty for keeping our club going as some Barnsley fans are to Patrick Cryne. Reading Patrick Cryne's letter, it is plainly clear to see that some of his clubs supporters weren't in support of him either. "People are not shy in coming forward and telling me they appreciate my efforts, even if I have fallen short of their aspirations"

Be careful what you wish for.
Posted by: LH, September 13, 2017, 9:22am; Reply: 17
We have had other significant investors in the past though but they've gone. Why?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2017, 9:24am; Reply: 18
That sentence you highlighted Ascend shows class on the part of the Barnsley chairman. And probably a fair degree of wit if I read it right.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 13, 2017, 9:24am; Reply: 19
I would have some sympathy with the Fenty out brigade if they have an alternative.  Have they got funds to invest?  Are they willing to organize a fan ownership? Are they scouting the world for a new wealthy investor?

Or are they just keyboard warriors happy to slag off the guy who put his own money into keeping the club alive?
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), September 13, 2017, 9:31am; Reply: 20
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I would have some sympathy with the Fenty out brigade if they have an alternative.  Have they got funds to invest?  Are they willing to organize a fan ownership? Are they scouting the world for a new wealthy investor?

Or are they just keyboard warriors happy to slag off the guy who put his own money into keeping the club alive?

THIS

Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 13, 2017, 9:34am; Reply: 21

But with the 'benign loan' stumbling block in the way, there is no alternative. New money has come into the club, but the new investors didn't hang around very long.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 13, 2017, 9:44am; Reply: 22
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But with the 'benign loan' stumbling block in the way, there is no alternative. New money has come into the club, but the new investors didn't hang around very long.

So you think JF should give the club away and write off his own investment?  Everyone seems happy to play god with someone else's money.  So far as I am aware, no one has ever come along with substantial cash and offered to buy the club outright including repayment of loans.  A few people come along with tens and hundreds of thousands but no-one has come with multi millions.

Anyway, what good is done unless an investor is willing to bankroll the club indefinitely.  In the long run, the club needs to live within its means and the stadium project is the best way to make that happen.
Posted by: Garth, September 13, 2017, 9:48am; Reply: 23
I would have some sympathy with the Fenty out brigade if they have an alternative.  Have they got funds to invest? Er No! Are they willing to organize a fan ownership?Er Er Nope! Are they scouting the world for a new wealthy investor? Er well Er No!

No again, just some with an agenda, and some because it relieves their frustration,  and he is their target because he is the captain in the wheelhouse responsible for trip (stormy or calm) along with his crew Slade and Wilko.
For what its worth it is what it is, and the true barometer of decline will be seen and acted on by the size of feet fall at games, thankfully it has not reached that stage yet.
Carry on Captain John there will be  some more storms and sickness felt before we navigate into clearer calmer waters ;)

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 13, 2017, 10:29am; Reply: 24
Quoted from 120790

The fans will do as they please, thank you very much.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 13, 2017, 10:35am; Reply: 25

We are fans that love and  comment on the club. The same for the other 91 clubs from Manchester Utd. to Forest Green Rovers.

No we haven't got the money, acumen, contacts or skills required; our part of the bargain is to support the team through thin and thin, and that is what we have done.  
Posted by: crusty ole pie, September 13, 2017, 10:38am; Reply: 26
F.F.S. do we need yet another thread on the same subject

For the foreseeable future  mr fenty is our chairman ( even if he does not want the title )
Russel Slade is our manager for the foreseeable future
GRIMSBY TOWN is our team for life so for felicitations sake get behind them and stop this constant moaning itelpps no one.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 13, 2017, 10:45am; Reply: 27

We are fans that love and  comment on the club. The same for the other 91 clubs from Manchester Utd. to Forest Green Rovers.

No we haven't got the money, acumen, contacts or skills required; our part of the bargain is to support the team through thin and thin, and that is what we have done.  

I think you would be surprised by the wealth of experience and qualifications sitting in the Pontoon.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 13, 2017, 10:52am; Reply: 28
I can not see what this Fenty out will achieve,

I do not like his non chairmanship of OUR club, I wish he would take his loans and turn them into shares  or better still write them off,

The trouble is we will never find anybody to invest in our club while he is here because he is a control freak,

So he has to walk away first and then we will see if anybody is willing to invest.,

He will not do that so we are stuck with him I am afraid
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 13, 2017, 11:18am; Reply: 29
Quoted from 120790

Does that make up for 6 years in non league where JF said after the Burton game we would lose £500,000 per season so that makes £3,000,000, could have paid off his loans.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 13, 2017, 12:04pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from arryarryarry

Does that make up for 6 years in non league where JF said after the Burton game we would lose £500,000 per season so that makes £3,000,000, could have paid off his loans.

If we'd have had the extra half million per season we'd just have spent it on wages in League 2 instead of the National League. Whatever income we have primarily goes on wages. The only difference is the more money we have the better (in theory) players we can afford.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 13, 2017, 1:02pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from grimsby pete
I can not see what this Fenty out will achieve,

I do not like his non chairmanship of OUR club, I wish he would take his loans and turn them into shares  or better still write them off,

The trouble is we will never find anybody to invest in our club while he is here because he is a control freak,

So he has to walk away first and then we will see if anybody is willing to invest.,

He will not do that so we are stuck with him I am afraid

It's a situation that he has created to protect his investment and the long suffering fans are powerless to do anything about it.  In the meantime, he's not too happy that we've got opinions either.
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 13, 2017, 2:06pm; Reply: 32
I have no problem with Mr Fenty, if it wasn't him it would be someone else who I am afraid the fans would eventually moan about. The only problem I have is as to why he will not take the roll of chairman officially, what are the pro's and cons for both him and the club.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 13, 2017, 2:54pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from GrimRob

If we'd have had the extra half million per season we'd just have spent it on wages in League 2 instead of the National League. Whatever income we have primarily goes on wages. The only difference is the more money we have the better (in theory) players we can afford.

The comment, "paid off his loans" was a bit tongue in cheek, but are players wages that much different between the two leagues considering we would have likely been paying some top salaries for the players required to get us out of that league?
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, September 13, 2017, 3:04pm; Reply: 34
My only thought on this John and  understanding you will make honest mistakes. Is allow the football people around you make the football decisions. Might even be worth getting a football man on the board to be the face to face contact with the management team and to give you and the board football related advice.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 13, 2017, 3:20pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from VinnyGTFC
My only thought on this John and  understanding you will make honest mistakes. Is allow the football people around you make the football decisions. Might even be worth getting a football man on the board to be the face to face contact with the management team and to give you and the board football related advice.

Honest mistakes? Let's take the Bignot appointment as an 'honest mistake'. Appoint the bloke, sell his best player, let him have some money to spend and then sack him before the players he'd bought hadhad time to bond. Problem is that this is one of many that have happened over a long period.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), September 13, 2017, 4:04pm; Reply: 36
Firstly, why the hell shouldn't John Fenty protect his financial support. If you was in his position wouldn't you do exactly the same? I would!

Secondly, where has all of this "football person/people" jargon come from? Hey if you want to call someone a "football person" then believe me, John Fenty is now a time served football person. Nobody understands the football business world any better that him.

Leave the bloke alone with this stupidy.

Be careful what you wish for...
Posted by: Cloudy, September 13, 2017, 4:08pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from 120790
Firstly, why the hell shouldn't John Fenty protect his financial support. If you was in his position wouldn't you do exactly the same? I would!

Secondly, where has all of this "football person/people" jargon come from? Hey if you want to call someone a "football person" then believe me, John Fenty is now a time served football person. Nobody understands the football business world any better that him.

FFS and you call other stupid!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 13, 2017, 4:20pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from 120790

Let's get this right. In your opinion, because John Fenty has pumped millions into GTFC and the rest of the fan base can't afford to, then he's right and we're stupid.
Posted by: realist, September 13, 2017, 4:26pm; Reply: 39
Back end is either fenty or sonic.
Well i wish fenty would leave the club. It cant be any worse. Been in continual decline since he became involved.

Fenty out
Posted by: Bigdog, September 13, 2017, 4:52pm; Reply: 40
Ascend, tell your mate John that my offer of a one to one thread is still on the table.

I'm not interested in raking up the past, I'm more concerned about the future direction of the club.

I also know the game well enough to know which questions to ask and can be answered.

So Ascend, Sonik or whoever, tell John I'm here ready and waiting if he wants to be transparent.

I'm just sick of the debate, sick of being called toxic and sick of being threatened with "be careful what you wish for".

I want what's best for the club and I don't think the status quo is it.

Yours..
A concerned and disgruntled fan who wants a brighter future for GTFC.
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 13, 2017, 4:59pm; Reply: 41
Why is it that anyone daring to question what is going on the club , they get called Key Board Warriors .....?. It's every fans right to ask valid questions isn't it ? Or do we live in north Korea ? .
Posted by: Mariner93er, September 13, 2017, 5:17pm; Reply: 42
Using bignot as an example against fenty is just senseless when so many fans wanted him gone. You've basically just used an example that does the opposite of what you intended and highlighted the difficulty of making the right decision when there's so much pressure coming from all directions.
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 13, 2017, 5:32pm; Reply: 43
Mistake once = fine . Mistake Twice= benefit of the doubt ...... Mistake 6 times ???? You tell me ?
Posted by: mimma, September 13, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 44
John Fenty has put into the club what he can afford to and no more.

To suggest that he should put more in when he has clearly reached the limit of what he can afford is quite frankly insulting.

There is no rich person on the horizon to help him out. Like it or lump it there isn't an alternative benefactor of the club.

I suppose that is Fentys fault as well.
Posted by: Civvy at last, September 13, 2017, 5:52pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from mimma

To suggest that he should put more in when he has clearly reached the limit of what he can afford is quite frankly insulting.

There is no rich person on the horizon to help him out. Like it or lump it there isn't an alternative benefactor of the club.

Do we really have to go through the Parker/Mullins debate all over again ????
Posted by: LondonMariner43, September 13, 2017, 6:20pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from fleabag1970
Why is it that anyone daring to question what is going on the club , they get called Key Board Warriors .....?. It's every fans right to ask valid questions isn't it ? Or do we live in north Korea ? .

As the person who used that phrase... I didn't say that the club is beyond question.  I said that people who say 'Fenty Out' don't offer any alternative solutions.  Chanting Fenty Out achieves nothing other than maybe make JF wonder if it's been worth putting a substantial sum of money into keeping the club afloat.  If he walks away and there is no alternative the club could collapse.  This was, I think, the meaning of the opening post.

I have criticised the club, managers and players here.  Many moons ago I wrote to the GET  as a teenager criticising how the club handled Kevin's drinkell.  However, I try to be constructive and respectful rather than simply slagging off people trying to do their best.
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 13, 2017, 6:41pm; Reply: 47
Fair enough  but opinions good and bad are all valid .
Posted by: Vance Warner, September 13, 2017, 6:58pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from 120790

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Posted by: sam gy, September 13, 2017, 7:05pm; Reply: 49
The thing with Bignot is that the experienced, respected pros at the club did not like him, and I'd imagine it's hard for a chairman to ignore that. The results obviously didn't help.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 13, 2017, 7:06pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from mimma

It is really.Surely part of his job is to secure new investment in the club? He is not rich enough to fund it on his own that would deliver the progress we all want, so it is more important than ever to get the investment that will make a difference.

It is not all about one rich individual coming in and waving a magic wand. Mike Parker had the money, a lot more than Mr. Fenty and no doubt had his own contacts to bring in more forward investment, but we know how that ended.

I am sure we are all grateful to Mr. Fenty for his finance up to this point, but it doesn't look like it is enough to get the club moving in a positive way.

We are just discussing the clubs future, some may think we are happy to have a club at all, and some want to see some progress towards a brighter future.

Before anybody says anything, I want Slades team to win every game and romp through the divisions; however this is unlikely if we don't have the investment needed. This discussion forum will have no effect whatsoever on the teams performance on the pitch.

If Mr. Fenty is pinning all his hopes on the new stadium, what is the latest news on that?  
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 13, 2017, 7:34pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from sam gy
The thing with Bignot is that the experienced, respected pros at the club did not like him, and I'd imagine it's hard for a chairman to ignore that. The results obviously didn't help.

There's no chairman to ignore those sorts of thing!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 13, 2017, 8:10pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from mimma

I don't think anyone has suggested he put more of his own money in. I suspect that's another Fishy myth.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 13, 2017, 8:28pm; Reply: 53
I sometimes wonder if some fans have lived in some sort of time warp where the Fenty era hasn't happened, or did the various appointments and sackings not happen or the fall outs with local media or the share thing or the flag or Checkatrade?
Posted by: fleabag1970, September 13, 2017, 8:53pm; Reply: 54
Nope . It all happened . A calamity of errors n the last 15 years . The wake up is happening though . Don't be careful what you wish for just go with your gut feeling
Posted by: barralad, September 13, 2017, 9:11pm; Reply: 55

It is really.Surely part of his job is to secure new investment in the club? He is not rich enough to fund it on his own that would deliver the progress we all want, so it is more important than ever to get the investment that will make a difference.

It is not all about one rich individual coming in and waving a magic wand. Mike Parker had the money, a lot more than Mr. Fenty and no doubt had his own contacts to bring in more forward investment, but we know how that ended.

I am sure we are all grateful to Mr. Fenty for his finance up to this point, but it doesn't look like it is enough to get the club moving in a positive way.

We are just discussing the clubs future, some may think we are happy to have a club at all, and some want to see some progress towards a brighter future.

Before anybody says anything, I want Slades team to win every game and romp through the divisions; however this is unlikely if we don't have the investment needed. This discussion forum will have no effect whatsoever on the teams performance on the pitch.

If Mr. Fenty is pinning all his hopes on the new stadium, what is the latest news on that?  

I don't know very much about Mike Parker's financial situation. I always thought he didn't actually have a business of his own..
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), September 13, 2017, 10:02pm; Reply: 56
Once upon a time there was a football club........then Fenty turned up.

He had a big wad of cash in his hand promising a bright and rosey future.  Directors loans turned into a pawn shop scenario, every asset the club has is now security for the gallant Fenty loans.

Maybe those foolish enough to invest in a season ticket should perhaps ask for their 'investment' to be underwritten, seems to be okay for him.

Fenty out and take your flipping strangle hold with you.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 13, 2017, 10:58pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from 120790

If you call doing a fine job struggling in league 2 then you must either be a troll, related to Fenty or work for him as no sane Town fan thinks we are in a good enough position for them to say Fenty is doing a fine job.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 13, 2017, 11:01pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from 120790

We are not Barnsley. We don't have other significant investors like Barnsley do in addition to Patrick Cryne.

Plus, there are many people in Grimsby that are just as grateful to John Fenty for keeping our club going as some Barnsley fans are to Patrick Cryne. Reading Patrick Cryne's letter, it is plainly clear to see that some of his clubs supporters weren't in support of him either. "People are not shy in coming forward and telling me they appreciate my efforts, even if I have fallen short of their aspirations"

Be careful what you wish for.

When you say people you mean your wife don't you, with you struggling to get past pre ejaculation as you are too busy thinking about Fenty. Oopss you did it again.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 13, 2017, 11:08pm; Reply: 59

Key board warriors, the sort of thing an internet policeman with sand in their girl private would say.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/L4ZJuzp.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 14, 2017, 4:58am; Reply: 60
Seems a long time since Fenty was doing his photo shoots with the fans at London on our many Wembley trips he is a massive fan why the feck should he want us to fail????

Somebody give me a valid reason why he wants the club he as ploughed millions in to fail???

There IS a toxic element with some fans? in this club that leave people like Hurst all bitter and twisted and who love stirring the shitt up. I'm sure some would like to see us go under again.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 14, 2017, 10:23am; Reply: 61
I have said several time that Fenty is a control freak,

Which means if he thinks something different to the manager than he must be right,

Hurst said when he joined Shrewsbury that it would be good working for an honest person,

By saying that I guess Fenty had told him he could have  this that or the other then went back on his word,

Fenty went on record saying a 6 month rolling contract is the future,

Well that worked with Hurst and Bignot but surprise surprise nothing has been said about Slades contract,

So I am thinking Russ got what he wanted at least a 2 year or 3 year deal,

That's fine by me and if Fenty is honest with Slade and listens and acts on his wishes which he seems to have done up to now we will be a better run football club,

Can a Leopard change his spots ? I doubt it but we will see.

Again its early days but Slade has got a lot bigger back up team than any other manager under Fenty,

Lets hope it continues.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 15, 2017, 8:58am; Reply: 62
Quoted from barralad

I don't know very much about Mike Parker's financial situation. I always thought he didn't actually have a business of his own..

Mike was known as one of the gang of four who basically owned the shares in Young`s Bluecrest as it was and sold to an investement company.Not sure of the financial details but think the four all made around 12-15million profit.Make no mistake a massive Town fan for many years and no doubt in my mind he felt very badly let down by the others in the boardroom when his INITIAL investment wasn`t matched and GTFC lost out.I have followed Town since 79 and believe Chairmen etc should be seen and not heard and on Fenty`s watch we have stumbled from bad to worse and all the dirty linen gets aired in public time and again.FENTY OUT
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 15, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 63
Need a new fresh change of direction and ideas but unfortunately just can't see it happening.

I mean who seriously is going to buy fenty out and take town on ?

Only a Malaysian business man who has mental issues.

Posted by: 1mickylyons, September 15, 2017, 9:22am; Reply: 64
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Need a new fresh change of direction and ideas but unfortunately just can't see it happening.

I could never see Town playing non league football especially for 6 years but ...........
Posted by: Bigdog, September 15, 2017, 12:33pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I could never see Town playing non league football especially for 6 years but ...........

There were some seriously bad footballing decisions made in the boardroom which led to that embarrassing turn of events..
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 15, 2017, 9:17pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from jonnyboy82

OR

A  North Korean dictator   ;D

Posted by: Marinerz93, September 15, 2017, 9:22pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from grimsby pete

OR

A  North Korean dictator   ;D

Be careful what you wish for  ;D

[img]https://i.imgur.com/mPQ4erX.jpg[/img]
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 15, 2017, 9:38pm; Reply: 68
Said it before and will say it again nobody will invest serious money into GTFC as in reality there is fcuk All to invest in.

The only hope we have is if Slade pops his cherry and wins promotion or we just get a replacement in that has a good run in the last 3rd of the season and get an average side to scrape a play off victory.

It's going to be a slog for a few years yet ladies & gents but it's better than getting dicked away at Braintree
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 15, 2017, 9:42pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Said it before and will say it again nobody will invest serious money into GTFC as in reality there is fcuk All to invest in.

The only hope we have is if Slade pops his cherry and wins promotion or we just get a replacement in that has a good run in the last 3rd of the season and get an average side to scrape a play off victory.

It's going to be a slog for a few years yet ladies & gents but it's better than getting dicked away at Braintree

Scunthorpe have managed to bring in someone who will fund them and boost their coffers and they are a much smaller club than us. Same with Lincoln.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 15, 2017, 9:59pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Marinerz93

Scunthorpe have managed to bring in someone who will fund them and boost their coffers and they are a much smaller club than us. Same with Lincoln.

They haven't had a 5 star stumbling block in the way.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 15, 2017, 10:11pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

They haven't had a 5 star stumbling block in the way.

I know but some don't see it and keep going on like it's the clubs fault and not some individual.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 15, 2017, 10:21pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Marinerz93

Indeed but there is a difference between us and the Scunts and that is recent league status and planning permission for a new ground. Clearly something to invest in other than up until recently non league status and battles with nimbys and nutter councils

The gimps well their investor originally committed to 350k per year for 3 years until he got a sniff of FA cup TV money etc. I doubt whether 350k x 3 would drive us as far as we would like to go after settling the debt.

Hate to say this but in reality where we sit today are we the biggest club out of the 3?
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 15, 2017, 10:41pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Indeed but there is a difference between us and the Scunts and that is recent league status and planning permission for a new ground. Clearly something to invest in other than up until recently non league status and battles with nimbys and nutter councils

The gimps well their investor originally committed to 350k per year for 3 years until he got a sniff of FA cup TV money etc. I doubt whether 350k x 3 would drive us as far as we would like to go after settling the debt.

Hate to say this but in reality where we sit today are we the biggest club out of the 3?

They started in this league when Wharton invested £500k to get them moving up the leagues and it took them to the Championship. Their Chairman is the driving force behind the new ground, something we don't have is anyone with driving force, we have tick along and wait for football fortune. I don't disagree about your comment on nimbys and councils but someone who can make things happen and that isn't achieved by sitting on your hands.

We are the biggest club without doubt, and also the most successful over our histories. Our given position is down to lack of ambition, drive and determination to succeed.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 15, 2017, 10:56pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Marinerz93

They started in this league when Wharton invested £500k to get them moving up the leagues and it took them to the Championship. Their Chairman is the driving force behind the new ground, something we don't have is anyone with driving force, we have tick along and wait for football fortune. I don't disagree about your comment on nimbys and councils but someone who can make things happen and that isn't achieved by sitting on your hands.

We are the biggest club without doubt, and also the most successful over our histories. Our given position is down to lack of ambition, drive and determination to succeed.

I don't see us as the biggest by any stretch of the imagination. Scunny are way ahead of where we are in terms of infrastructure, squad size and ambition. That may be down to a rich benefactor but the only aspect of our club that exceeds theirs is our fans. I would go as far as to say that the Gimps are heading us as well given their recent football fortune.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 15, 2017, 11:42pm; Reply: 75
And doesn't the fact that Scunny have been bigger than us for so long (2005 was the last time we competed at the same level. 2005!) and that Lincoln look set to overtake us testify to our failure.
Posted by: Cloudy, September 16, 2017, 7:49am; Reply: 76
Quoted from HertsGTFC

£350k per year is exactly the sort of funding that would make a difference imo
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 16, 2017, 12:07pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from KingstonMariner
And doesn't the fact that Scunny have been bigger than us for so long (2005 was the last time we competed at the same level. 2005!) and that Lincoln look set to overtake us testify to our failure.

It's not the fans failure, our fans have backed the club when we were up against it, Lincoln and Scunny have never done that, their gates in dark times proved that.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 16, 2017, 12:12pm; Reply: 78
Oh for the days when we released players and they found a living at Scunny or Lincoln.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 16, 2017, 4:37pm; Reply: 79
I know it's not the fans failure Z93. My point is it's the 'regime's' failure
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 16, 2017, 5:22pm; Reply: 80
I know it's not the fans failure Z93. My point is it's the 'regime's' failure

Sorry I misunderstood, fully agree.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 17, 2017, 9:37pm; Reply: 81
Come on guys I here this all the time down in Swampea, Swansea are bigger than Notts Forest, Swansea are bigger than Shef Weds etc  No they are flipping not, not now not ever.  The league positions are a  blip, maybe a decade long one but we are talking over a century.

Same with Town and Scunthorpe and Lincoln NOT NOW NOT EVER.

😊 UTM (it's a blip)
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 17, 2017, 10:30pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from Marinerz93

It's not the fans failure, our fans have backed the club when we were up against it, Lincoln and Scunny have never done that, their gates in dark times proved that.

Funny how fickle, or unpredictable fans are, as when we were at our lowest ebb the fans, relatively speaking kepy coming. Hoever, turn the clock back to some of our Championship days and crowds would dip below 5000 quite regularly, always a mystery to me given the numbers we had attending in the successful McMenemy and George Kerr eras when five figure crowds were pretty much the norm.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 17, 2017, 10:49pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Funny how fickle, or unpredictable fans are, as when we were at our lowest ebb the fans, relatively speaking kepy coming. Hoever, turn the clock back to some of our Championship days and crowds would dip below 5000 quite regularly, always a mystery to me given the numbers we had attending in the successful McMenemy and George Kerr eras when five figure crowds were pretty much the norm.

That was weird. Especially as under the same manager and playing style a few years before, we would often get 5000 in the 4th division.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 18, 2017, 1:03am; Reply: 84

During the late 80's we had a good run in the Championship but we struggled season after season, that coupled with fishing quotas being cut, the area suffered high unemployment also due to the trouble the away support was always small and BP not the most enticing place to be. alot of clubs suffered in the same way, it's just now football is more of a draw for people.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 18, 2017, 9:55am; Reply: 85

Some good perspective there Lincoln, worth noting "back in the day" we used to host the likes of Lincoln, Scunny, Seff U, Sheff W, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Bradford etc.. etc.. which certainly in the Newman/Kerr/Booth days used to ramp up attendances, also it was still relatively cheap to go to a game and you could stand up.  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 18, 2017, 9:56am; Reply: 86
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Come on guys I here this all the time down in Swampea, Swansea are bigger than Notts Forest, Swansea are bigger than Shef Weds etc  No they are flipping not, not now not ever.  The league positions are a  blip, maybe a decade long one but we are talking over a century.

Same with Town and Scunthorpe and Lincoln NOT NOW NOT EVER.

😊 UTM (it's a blip)

I suspect Lincoln and Scunthorpe have always thought they where bigger than us.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2017, 9:35pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from Marinerz93

During the late 80's we had a good run in the Championship but we struggled season after season, that coupled with fishing quotas being cut, the area suffered high unemployment also due to the trouble the away support was always small and BP not the most enticing place to be. alot of clubs suffered in the same way, it's just now football is more of a draw for people.

I think Lincoln's referring to the spell in the 90s under Buckley. I think in the 80s we got a good average of around 7000 (remember us getting similar crowds to Chelsea in the early 80s when they were down to around 7500.)
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 19, 2017, 4:58pm; Reply: 88

I think Lincoln's referring to the spell in the 90s under Buckley. I think in the 80s we got a good average of around 7000 (remember us getting similar crowds to Chelsea in the early 80s when they were down to around 7500.)

Fair point, employment in and around GY in the 90's was pretty bad, I would say much worse than the 80's.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 4:22pm