Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 12, 2017, 9:42pm

FT    Accrington  1-2  Town

RS did get a reaction   :)

Great result against a top of the table side.
Posted by: newarkmariner, September 12, 2017, 9:45pm; Reply: 1
Need to follow this up with 3pts on Saturday UTM
Posted by: lukeo, September 12, 2017, 9:46pm; Reply: 2
A bit over the top but nevertheless a brilliant result.
Posted by: GTFCH, September 12, 2017, 9:47pm; Reply: 3
Let ourselves down a bit on Saturday but clearly have a lot of fight in us which is a great characteristic to have in a side. Proud of the boys tonight well done lads! It's a funny old game. In Slade I trust.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, September 12, 2017, 9:47pm; Reply: 4
A typical Grimsby town win when many expected us to lose come on they always amaze us in games like this,well done boys now let's get some consistency and get on a good run starting Saturday UTM
Posted by: Garth, September 12, 2017, 9:49pm; Reply: 5
Slade for England! well done the lads, onwards and upwards
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, September 12, 2017, 9:49pm; Reply: 6
Untill we are doing this week in week out Slade should still be looking over his shoulder, I still think we will be at the wrong end of the table unfortunately as we desperately need improvement in defence.
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 12, 2017, 10:02pm; Reply: 7
JT said Clarke was excellent tonight and that we were ruthless in both boxes, need to give away fewer set plays. Clarke and DC need someone like Toto next to them to do their running for them.

The Shrewsbury train goes marching on I see.
Posted by: supertown, September 12, 2017, 10:05pm; Reply: 8
😃
Posted by: Hagrid, September 12, 2017, 10:07pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Mariner_09
JT said Clarke was excellent tonight and that we were ruthless in both boxes, need to give away fewer set plays. Clarke and DC need someone like Toto next to them to do their running for them.

The Shrewsbury train goes marching on I see.

let it go pal. focus on town. Not Hurst
Posted by: Mariner_09, September 12, 2017, 10:10pm; Reply: 10
No I've let it go, just like to see him doing well with all those ex players. Town first and foremost as always.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, September 12, 2017, 10:14pm; Reply: 11
No doubt we can expect the "Bit quite" thread to pop up soon.

I'm really pleased for the players.  There have been flashes of good play and I'm sure that once the daft mistakes get cut out and the more the players get used to one another, we have the squad to do OK in this league.
Posted by: Mariner93er, September 12, 2017, 10:16pm; Reply: 12
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It was a good performance, but they still had chances. I still can't see us being anything but inconsistent.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 12, 2017, 10:17pm; Reply: 13
14th place is within our grasp
Posted by: hheh2, September 12, 2017, 10:18pm; Reply: 14
Another 3 points on Sat and we will be riding the playoffs.

Getting 3 points away at in form Accy means we can beat anyone if we want to!
Posted by: pontoon442, September 12, 2017, 10:26pm; Reply: 15
Slade survives for another week then, many more wins needed plus ENTERTAINING football, not dire dross he usually serves up, a little bit of passing football on the deck would be nice, you know feet to feet as the game should be played....
Posted by: Henryscat, September 12, 2017, 10:45pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from pontoon442
Slade survives for another week then, many more wins needed plus ENTERTAINING football, not dire dross he usually serves up, a little bit of passing football on the deck would be nice, you know feet to feet as the game should be played....

Take it you weren't there tonight then?
Posted by: OllieGTFC, September 12, 2017, 10:52pm; Reply: 17
Hopefully the strings are being pulled together abit more now let's hope we can put few wins together
Posted by: pontoonlew, September 12, 2017, 10:54pm; Reply: 18
As important as it is to not go too mental over a defeat it's important to not do the same after a win.

We've got a long way to go and there are still some serious holes. I'm delighted with how good Dembele and Jones are though, both are capable of carrying us when needed.

On with the next game and maybe we can pick up a bit of momentum finally.
Posted by: Zmariner, September 12, 2017, 10:56pm; Reply: 19
Not fussed about the style just like winning and a bit scared of non league. Need to get on a little run as this season has been very stop start. Defence too slow for me , pleased with Matt as don't rate Hooper and Vernon a great worker but no goals in him utm
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 12, 2017, 10:59pm; Reply: 20
Any win has to be great news but doesn't deflect from the underlying issues at the club. Great three points, let's hope for three more on Saturday.
Posted by: LH, September 12, 2017, 11:37pm; Reply: 21
Great result and another to follow it up and 1.5pts per game as an average would certainly make things look a lot nicer and more secure.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 13, 2017, 12:21am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Mariner_09
No I've let it go, just like to see him doing well with all those ex players. Town first and foremost as always.

I don't give a frig what Shrewsbury do but after seeing Kayden Jackson tonight Hurst certainly didn't have a clue how to play him to get the best out of him.
Posted by: denni266, September 13, 2017, 7:45am; Reply: 23
Great win away again, Not for one minute should we get carried away,
Posted by: 137 (Guest), September 13, 2017, 8:19am; Reply: 24
The Ides of September are not yet upon us - so it's a bit early for gloom/excess optimism/debating trust imo.
Slade and Wilko are still finding out how to get the best out of what they've got. (Plenty of choices... except at the back!)

Let's see how the league table looks at Christmas....my guess is we'll be around the middle.

On the matter of trusting Slade: given the manner of his previous departure, he needs to earn my trust from scratch.
He doesn't get a Bignot honeymoon period. The thing is, RS will have known there were plenty who feel like that when
he took the job here...so he gets a bit of respect from me for taking that challenge on. Can't believe he wouldn't have been
able to get a job elsewhere, if he didn't fancy coming back here. Dare I say it...."unfinished business"....?
Posted by: Cloudy, September 13, 2017, 10:13am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mariner93er
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It was a good performance, but they still had chances. I still can't see us being anything but inconsistent.

of course they had chances!

I must have seen thousands of games and barely a handful were one side had no opportunities whatsoever
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, September 13, 2017, 10:17am; Reply: 26
A couple of recent Town games spring to mind
Posted by: oochiad, September 13, 2017, 10:18am; Reply: 27
It's great when we win, but people say let's not get carried away. When we lose people go totally over the top, abusing anyone they feel in the firing line, is that not getting carried away in reverse? UTM
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 13, 2017, 10:31am; Reply: 28
Quoted from 137

On the matter of trusting Slade: given the manner of his previous departure, he needs to earn my trust from scratch.

I wish people who still hold that against him would forget it,

He was non league when he came to us so would have been the usual cheap option,

He came to the end of his contract and Fenty thought he would be happy with a small rise,

He was offered something like £30,000 pa more at Yeovil so he left,

What would you have done ?
Posted by: 137 (Guest), September 13, 2017, 10:50am; Reply: 29
Quoted from grimsby pete
I wish people who still hold that against him would forget it,

He was non league when he came to us so would have been the usual cheap option,

He came to the end of his contract and Fenty thought he would be happy with a small rise,

He was offered something like £30,000 pa more at Yeovil so he left,

What would you have done ?

Gone, probably, but in doing so I would recognise that GTFC fans might not trust my whole-hearted commitment to their club!
(Did RS go to JF and say "I'm worth this much to Yeovil, am I worth as much to you?". Presumably, but I don't know.)

Also, I like to think I'd have prepared the team better for my final game in charge.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 13, 2017, 11:01am; Reply: 30
Quoted from 137

Gone, probably, but in doing so I would recognise that GTFC fans might not trust my whole-hearted commitment to their club!
(Did RS go to JF and say "I'm worth this much to Yeovil, am I worth as much to you?". Presumably, but I don't know.)

Also, I like to think I'd have prepared the team better for my final game in charge.

It might have been all different if Reddy had stayed on the pitch mate.
Posted by: grimps, September 13, 2017, 11:18am; Reply: 31
In my experience the best way for a manager to endear himself to the Grimsby Town faithful is to win games.
Even Buckley had plenty of haters and he had us playing 2 leagues higher for nearly ten years.
Slades been around the block a few times , he should have some thick skin by now
Posted by: Garth, September 13, 2017, 5:49pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from grimps
In my experience the best way for a manager to endear himself to the Grimsby Town faithful is to win games.
Even Buckley had plenty of haters and he had us playing 2 leagues higher for nearly ten years.
Slades been around the block a few times , he should have some thick skin by now

Someone will correct me if I`m wrong,  but I never heard anyone shouting  McMenemy out! from the packed terraces.
Thinking about it though we live in an age of anonymous opinions slapped on a message board and a craving for instant success, not sure which I prefer.  :)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 13, 2017, 5:59pm; Reply: 33
Consistency is what is required now but lets not forget this is a very new outfit that is still init's infancy. Matt looks like he can be a real nuisance to opposing teams which gives other players more room to flourish the likes of Dembele,D.J ,Sam Jones, Hooper and Asante

Woolford looks a very skillful intelligent player that could be the jewel in the crown.

Slade must have a good idea of what he wants I am certain he knows what he is doing we should give him time to mould this squad into a tight unit.

Early days we need to be patient not easy but I say stick by them EVERYONE.   UTM.
Posted by: pontoon442, September 13, 2017, 6:41pm; Reply: 34
Slade Out!!!!
Posted by: hampshiremariner, September 13, 2017, 7:38pm; Reply: 35
On the continent at the moment and kept well away from any media outlets for the evening scared to find out the Town result. Eventually, went to the BBC website and then went crazy when I saw the score. Absolutely brilliant. I agree why can't we do this consistently? It is the one thing we have lacked for years. Just put a run together where we do not get beat. I want to see this famous old club going upwards but still live in absolute dread of the Conference. I really feel for clubs such as Wrexham. There is not much there but they were a proud club in the FL and this is what North Wales needs to give the area a lift. But at the moment they cannot get out. Tragic in my view. Up the Mariners!
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 7:08am