Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), September 9, 2017, 8:36pm
What a truly outstanding performance from a manager.

Leaves a team that was flirting with League 2 play off places, having persevered to get his team promoted back to the football league.

Takes on a massive challenge, the job as manager of a failing league 1 club who look nailed on to get relegated. Puts every bit of faith and confidence in his own ability to coach the failing club, and is successful in keeping them up.

Spends a summer rebuilding, signing some players that he has worked with before, that he can trust to do a good job. Unearths some gems, mostly unexpected, but then again he has a track record of doing this time and again.

Makes a terrific start to his first full season in charge in league 1, charging straight to the top of the league. Looking very much like a team that is capable of challenging for at least the play offs.

Well done Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury, the best gaffer we had in an age.

To all those that were constantly on his back, and took exception when he exercised his right to succinctly remind you that he's the professional football person, not you - I remind you of this well used phrase:-

"Be careful what you wish for"
Posted by: RoboCod, September 9, 2017, 8:39pm; Reply: 1
He left US. Where are you going with this post ?
Tedious and a complete distraction from the real problems back at home.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 9, 2017, 8:40pm; Reply: 2
Can't argue with any of that.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 9, 2017, 8:42pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from 120790

Leaves a team that was flirting with League 2 play off places, having persevered to get his team promoted back to the football league.

Takes on a massive challenge, the job as manager of a failing league 1 club who look nailed on to get relegated. Puts every bit of faith and confidence in his own ability to coach the failing club, and is successful in keeping them up.

Spends a summer rebuilding, signing some players that he has worked with before, that he can trust to do a good job. Unearths some gems, mostly unexpected, but then again he has a track record of doing this time and again.

Makes a terrific start to his first full season in charge in league 1, charging straight to the top of the league. Looking very much like a team that is capable of challenging for at least the play offs.

To all those that were constantly on his back, and took exception when he exercised his right to succinctly remind you that he's the professional football person, not you - I remind you of this well used phrase:-

What was the real reason you left then Paul?
Posted by: Hagrid, September 9, 2017, 8:43pm; Reply: 4
Was a huge fan of Paul and his methods, but he has gone- to better things- and we need to focus on the hole we are currently in
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), September 9, 2017, 8:51pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from RoboCod
He left US. Where are you going with this post ?
Tedious and a complete distraction from the real problems back at home.

You yourself are presently making lots of comments on another thread, about issues back home which eminated from the past

I firmly regret that the departure of Paul Hurst is part and parcel of those problems of the past, which became the problems of today.

Paul was succeeding, the club failed to invest in his vision to continue evolving, in his vision for additional ancilliary support staff to take us to that next level. So he left, and with him went all of his coaching ability, his knowledge and his art of finding the players needed. So now we have what we have. Russell Slade, a man that has the ability to talk himself into endless numbers of management jobs, without any track record of achievement. A true journeyman in the world of football management and coaching
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 9, 2017, 8:54pm; Reply: 6
The bones have already been picked on this subject (100+ posts) on the Shrews thread   :is
Posted by: RoboCod, September 9, 2017, 8:55pm; Reply: 7
Like I said, he left us. It happens. Had Fenty sacked Hurst and then got Slade in you'd have a very good point. But that didnt happen.
We should be able to lose a manager like Hurst, as other clubs lose theirs, and replace with someone capable. That hasn't been the case in a long, long while and I know where that finger of blame points.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), September 9, 2017, 9:01pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from RoboCod
Like I said, he left us. It happens. Had Fenty sacked Hurst and then got Slade in you'd have a very good point. But that didnt happen.
We should be able to lose a manager like Hurst, as other clubs lose theirs, and replace with someone capable. That hasn't been the case in a long, long while and I know where that finger of blame points.

The point really is that he left through lack of support. Didn't need to be sacked but needed supporting and his vision needed investing in.

That lack of support and refusal to invest in his plan to take us to the next stage, was fundamentally as bad as sacking him would have been.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 9, 2017, 9:05pm; Reply: 9
The only variable is how much support was he given by respective boards.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 9, 2017, 9:21pm; Reply: 10
FFS he left to go to a bigger club, on a sodomist salary, with a bigger budget at his disposal. The fitness coach etc..bollox was just a smoke screen that actually ironically suited both sides as various times after Novemeber 16.

The board of GTFC could not invest in him and his ideas as they are by our standards a couple of wealthy men but in football terms paupers......deal with it we are a small club with p1s poor resource, located in a small Town out on a limb............. The game has changed and passed us and others by.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 9, 2017, 9:26pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from HertsGTFC
FFS he left to go to a bigger club, on a sodomist salary, with a bigger budget at his disposal. The fitness coach etc..bollox was just a smoke screen that actually ironically suited both sides as various times after Novemeber 16.

The board of GTFC could not invest in him and his ideas as they are by our standards a couple of wealthy men but in football terms paupers......deal with it we are a small club with p1s poor resource, located in a small Town out on a limb............. The game has changed and passed us and others by.

If Fenty has presided over a decline that means that a true Town fan like you thinks Shrewsbury is bigger than GTFC then he really has cocked it up big time! At the time I thought he was mad to go to Shrewsbury, a non football outpost in sleepy Shropshire. He obviously took a calculated gamble that if he could save them from relegation and get them a decent set of players it would improve his cv no end.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 9, 2017, 9:45pm; Reply: 12

If Fenty has presided over a decline that means that a true Town fan like you thinks Shrewsbury is bigger than GTFC then he really has cocked it up big time! At the time I thought he was mad to go to Shrewsbury, a non football outpost in sleepy Shropshire. He obviously took a calculated gamble that if he could save them from relegation and get them a decent set of players it would improve his cv no end.

Yup can't disagree with any of that Sir. Apart from the outpost bit its under 80 miles to Liverpool, about 90 to Manchester and 45ish to Birmingham,  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 9, 2017, 9:56pm; Reply: 13
He left because a certain person wouldn't make the investment he wanted. Shrewsbury came calling and have become a much bigger club than we are. More importantly, they have a much more progressive mentality.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 9, 2017, 10:00pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from arryarryarry

What was the real reason you left then Paul?

He did not feel the love.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 9, 2017, 10:03pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yup can't disagree with any of that Sir. Apart from the outpost bit its under 80 miles to Liverpool, about 90 to Manchester and 45ish to Birmingham,  

Obviously I was speaking metaphorically!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 9, 2017, 10:09pm; Reply: 16

Obviously I was speaking metaphorically!

:)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 9, 2017, 10:27pm; Reply: 17
Two words for the OP.

A ss. End.
Posted by: LH, September 9, 2017, 10:34pm; Reply: 18
Just think where we could have been if we'd have given him the resources he asked for and the bloke the respect he deserves.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 9, 2017, 10:41pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from LH
Just think where we could have been if we'd have given him the resources he asked for and the bloke the respect he deserves.

Did we have the resources ?
Posted by: LH, September 9, 2017, 10:44pm; Reply: 20
Has Slade got a S&C coach?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 9, 2017, 11:32pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from LH
Has Slade got a S&C coach?

He's got a local lad with a fitness degree.
Posted by: TAGG, September 9, 2017, 11:39pm; Reply: 22
Yawn ZZZZ
                     ZZZZ
                               ZZZ
Posted by: LH, September 9, 2017, 11:40pm; Reply: 23
I'm not going to argue that. Ultimately the resources blame still falls on the same desk though. Time for change.
Posted by: RichMariner, September 10, 2017, 1:04am; Reply: 24
Whenever Town lose, there will be a bunch of us who will look at what Paul Hurst is doing and think, 'what if'.

It doesn't do us any favours - we are where we are - but it's important to look at what happened to learn from any 'mistakes' so we can be stronger in the future.

PH had his faults (who doesn't) but good managers are rare. When you get one, and he proves himself, you do all that you can to keep him.

I don't believe GTFC did all that it could to keep him.

I'm speculating, of course, because I don't know the details, but the impression I get is that we've since given both MB and RS more than what PH wanted to develop his vision for the club.

We've got RS now. What's done is done and we need to move forward. Hopefully Slade can draw on his vast experience to get the team playing much better and we'll start picking up a few more wins sooner rather than later.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 10, 2017, 7:40am; Reply: 25
HURST LEFT FOR A CLUB IN A HIGHER LEAGUE HE DID HIS JOB AND MOVED ON SO SHOULD WE FFS.

Posted by: Cloudy, September 10, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 26
Quoted from HertsGTFC

He's got a local lad with a fitness degree.

I think we got a local lad with a sports Science degree, a masters in S&C, accreditation to the UKSCA and experience of working at FL clubs in a S&C capacity.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 10, 2017, 9:23am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Cloudy

I think we got a local lad with a sports Science degree, a masters in S&C, accreditation to the UKSCA and experience of working at FL clubs in a S&C capacity.

Sounds amply qualified,  and you'd imagine cost the going rate, whatever that may be.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 10, 2017, 1:10pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from 120790

Shouldn't your dig be at Fenty who didn't do what was necessary to keep him?
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 10, 2017, 4:29pm; Reply: 29
Another 40 games to go yet,

Lets not get carried away that ,  

1, Hurst will take them up,

OR

2   Slade will take us down.
Posted by: Perkins, September 10, 2017, 4:34pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Cloudy

Doesn't appear to be making much difference here though does It?
Not dissing the lad at all but as they say "you can't polish a turd"
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 7:14am