Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sigone, August 29, 2017, 2:31pm
Thoughts?
Posted by: Tinymariner, August 29, 2017, 2:31pm; Reply: 1
Jamille
Posted by: mariner91, August 29, 2017, 2:32pm; Reply: 2
Good signing. Will certainly give us a bit more up top than we have currently. Now just a central midfielder, centre back and a left back and we might not go down  ;D
Posted by: Sigone, August 29, 2017, 2:32pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Tinymariner
Jamille

oops sorry typo
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 29, 2017, 2:34pm; Reply: 4
Good signing , I just hope we use him correctly .
Posted by: Mendonca1995, August 29, 2017, 2:34pm; Reply: 5
Good signing for me 👍
Posted by: mariner91, August 29, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 6
Has to make you think though that Hooper was a panic signing? We were reportedly turned down by Matt before. So we signed Hooper but now we have Hooper, Cardwell, Vernon, Matt, Asante and Jones sort of plays up front. Six seems excessive if we're only going to be playing one at a time.
Posted by: psgmariner, August 29, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 7
The new Hooper.
Posted by: mariner91, August 29, 2017, 2:38pm; Reply: 8
Good reviews from Plymouth fans when he was there on loan at the end of the 15/16 season. Nice to have signed a player that his previous clubs haven't unanimously decided is shite.

http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=94767&sid=cbaf5d71bfbb5d965d96d2953ecac89b
Posted by: Hagrid, August 29, 2017, 2:38pm; Reply: 9
scored 3 in 32 last year but scored a few for Kiddy in the conference, maybe means 2 up top.  Maybe Asante has had a further setback?
Posted by: gtfc82, August 29, 2017, 2:40pm; Reply: 10
I'm really hoping that this means Slade has realised that one up front doesn't work and is going to change to a more standard 442. It's a formation that all players know, and I think with the pace of Dembele and DJ on the flanks, would be a lot more effective than our current system!
Posted by: davmariner, August 29, 2017, 2:41pm; Reply: 11
Excellent signing. He's a big fella.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 29, 2017, 2:44pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Hagrid
scored 3 in 32 last year but scored a few for Kiddy in the conference, maybe means 2 up top.  Maybe Asante has had a further setback?

Not quite accurate, he also scored 5 in 11 for Plymouth. Most of his Blackpool games came off the bench.

Personally I think this is an excellent signing and a huge relief.
Posted by: Maringer, August 29, 2017, 2:47pm; Reply: 13
Have to admit I don't know anything about him and have only heard his name when mentioned on this forum. What sort of a player is he? Mobile targetman, perhaps?

You'd have to think (and probably hope) that it might indicate that this will mean the end of one up top, in home games at the very least?
Posted by: Reverendmariner, August 29, 2017, 2:48pm; Reply: 14
A good signing. Welcome, Jamille, I hope you'll enjoy your time with us.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 29, 2017, 2:49pm; Reply: 15
If I'm not wrong Paul Hurst tried to get him when he was with us.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 29, 2017, 2:51pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from pontoonlew

Not quite accurate, he also scored 5 in 11 for Plymouth. Most of his Blackpool games came off the bench.

Personally I think this is an excellent signing and a huge relief.

i do apologise then- yeah i agree not knocking the signing at all, hoping it means 2 up top
Posted by: oldun, August 29, 2017, 3:05pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Hagrid

I spoke to Asante on Sat. Asked how he is getting on. He said he did not really know where he is with regard to the injury. Also spoke to Jamie Osbourne who was quite upbeat and happy with his progress.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 29, 2017, 3:10pm; Reply: 18
Hope we play a bit more football we have two very good wingers in Dembele and the lad from Norwich. Up front now as so many options would like to see Tombola and another played together up front but whatever he as enough to play a very attacking formation but as he got the balls to do it???

Not sure where Jones,Asante,Cardwell etc will all feature seem to be getting a bigger squad than before

How many players do we have now?
Posted by: AndyGTFC, August 29, 2017, 3:14pm; Reply: 19
Good signing, though I've never known a club have so many big strikers. Matt, Hooper, Vernon, Cardwell and Asante are all target men types.
Posted by: jimgtfc, August 29, 2017, 3:15pm; Reply: 20
That's a bit more like it! Welcome to the club!
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 29, 2017, 3:23pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from AndyGTFC
Good signing, though I've never known a club have so many big strikers. Matt, Hooper, Vernon, Cardwell and Asante are all target men types.

All 5 of them do not make one Akinfenwa.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 29, 2017, 3:27pm; Reply: 22
Hopefully he will settle in quickly and be supported by Slade by playing someone up top with him.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 29, 2017, 3:45pm; Reply: 23
Good signing. He's exactly the sort of player that we've been missing. He's a real handful. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the lone striker.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 29, 2017, 3:48pm; Reply: 24
He can be the Lone Ranger, as long as he scores a lot of goals!
Posted by: gaz57, August 29, 2017, 3:56pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from friskneymariner

All 5 of them do not make one Akinfenwa.

No they just cost an arm and a leg.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 29, 2017, 3:59pm; Reply: 26
Welcome jamille Matt's

Good signing imho. From what I recall seeing him quite strong though somewhat injury prone
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 29, 2017, 4:04pm; Reply: 27
Odds on to be sent off on Saturday  ;)
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), August 29, 2017, 4:13pm; Reply: 28
Fantastic signing, glad to see Slade getting one of his higher choice targets. Perhaps fenty has realised he needs to free up funds if we're going to have any success!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 29, 2017, 4:17pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from 139847
Fantastic signing, glad to see Slade getting one of his higher choice targets. Perhaps fenty has realised he needs to free up funds if we're going to have any success! stay up

Edited
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, August 29, 2017, 4:38pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Edited

Exactly, if we dont stop the slide we will be down. Promotion can wait a season but we cant afford to go back to that NL again.

Posted by: gtfc98, August 29, 2017, 4:51pm; Reply: 31
This is a really positive signing. I'm looking at a team without suspensions now and thinking it looks decent with a few different options. A little less worried about our prospects. I'd go with one of 2 formations;

4-4-2

McKeown

Mills Collins Osborne Dixon

Dembele Rose Clements DJ

Hooper Matt

Slades preferred formation so far;

McKeown

Mills Collins Osborne Dixon

Rose Clements

Dembele    Jones      DJ

Matt

For me it's clear Hooper isn't a target man. I thought he made a couple of decent runs in the first 20 minutes at the weekend and showed a couple of neat touches as well as of course the goal. He's still getting upto speed, Matt could be exactly what he needs alongside him.

Add into the mix Jones can play up top, we've got a great option in Vernon, Tombola on the wings, Osborne to come back around christmas then it's not looking too bad. We probably look a little light defensively given Osborne's injury record in the last few years.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 29, 2017, 4:53pm; Reply: 32
Great signing I hope Slade plays him in a pair.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 29, 2017, 6:06pm; Reply: 33
Don't know a lot about him to be honest but welcome Jamille.
Posted by: TAGG, August 29, 2017, 6:25pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Sigone
Thoughts?

I'm absolutely overwhelmed.

Goal every 10 games is just what we need at the moment 👍👍 😉😉 UTM
Posted by: gtfc98, August 29, 2017, 7:05pm; Reply: 35
Asked my mate who's a Plymouth season ticket holder what he thought of him. This was what he said;

"Matt's great, big target man with a turn of pace and power. Brilliant signing for you lot".
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, August 29, 2017, 7:12pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from gtfc98
Asked my mate who's a Plymouth season ticket holder what he thought of him. This was what he said;

"Matt's great, big target man with a turn of pace and power. Brilliant signing for you lot".

Well if their fans say that im happy. Just hope Slade uses him properly and we get the best of him. The fact that he was one of his original targets is a positive.

Posted by: Gaffer58, August 29, 2017, 7:44pm; Reply: 37
At the moment what's his dissaplinery record like?
Posted by: Cloudy, August 29, 2017, 7:53pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Gaffer58
At the moment what's his dissaplinery record like?

Better than your spelling ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 29, 2017, 8:17pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Cloudy

Better than your spelling ;)

And your self-discipline. I managed to resist that one!  ;D
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 29, 2017, 8:48pm; Reply: 40
Does this signing indicate we won't be seeing Asante any time soon?
Posted by: mariner91, August 29, 2017, 8:51pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Does this signing indicate we won't be seeing Asante any time soon?

I think it's more an indication that RS is admitting that the signing of Hooper was a panic-buy and we need better.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 29, 2017, 8:58pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from mariner91

I think it's more an indication that RS is admitting that the signing of Hooper was a panic-buy and we need better.

I doubt Slade signed him for 2 years after having him on trial for 2 weeks in a panic. He'll be a big part of his plans.
He looked decent on Saturday, just not a target man.
Posted by: Tommy, August 29, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 43
I don't think anyone should write Hooper off. He scored a cracking goal on Saturday and looked ok in the spells when we actually tried to play a bit of football.

I'll be interested to see if we stick with the current 4-2-3-1 formation now we have so many strikers. Cardwell, Vernon, Hooper and Matt, plus Jones who can play up there and Asante if he's ever fit again.

I actually think there's real promise in Cardwell too. Did well in his sub appearances at Chesterfield and on Saturday (particularly liked his burst of pace to completely outsprint and overtake their defender when he was fouled just outside the box). Didn't do a great deal against Coventry but then he had zero service.

I think our striking options are actually ok and we have to be able to build up possession through the defensive and middle thirds better to allow us to progress up the field as a team, get bodies closer to the front man, and keep playing the ball on the floor.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 29, 2017, 9:05pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Tommy
I don't think anyone should write Hooper off. He scored a cracking goal on Saturday and looked ok in the spells when we actually tried to play a bit of football.

I'll be interested to see if we stick with the current 4-2-3-1 formation now we have so many strikers. Cardwell, Vernon, Hooper and Matt, plus Jones who can play up there and Asante if he's ever fit again.

I actually think there's real promise in Cardwell too. Did well in his sub appearances at Chesterfield and on Saturday (particularly liked his burst of pace to completely outsprint and overtake their defender when he was fouled just outside the box). Didn't do a great deal against Coventry but then he had zero service.

I think our striking options are actually ok and we have to be able to build up possession through the defensive and middle thirds better to allow us to progress up the field as a team, get bodies closer to the front man, and keep playing the ball on the floor.

This
Posted by: oldun, August 29, 2017, 9:05pm; Reply: 45
Who is he on loan from?
Posted by: Cloudy, August 29, 2017, 9:08pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from oldun
Who is he on loan from?

Blackpool
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 29, 2017, 9:15pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Tommy

Agree if we get the ball down things will look much better
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 29, 2017, 9:22pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Agree if we get the ball down things will look much better

In more ways than one.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 29, 2017, 9:46pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Tommy

Do you think that signing a 6' 4 inch centre forward  indicates playing it on the floor? I don't think so.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 30, 2017, 9:28am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Tommy

Not just me then I thought it was the best attacking run direct at goal all game more of it please Mr Cardwell awesome pace I never thought he had.

Posted by: lukeo, August 30, 2017, 9:34am; Reply: 51
4 defence.
3 central midfielders
1 target man with 2 pacey players wing attack
Posted by: oldun, August 30, 2017, 9:36am; Reply: 52
Cardwell looked to have something in pre-season, so I was pleased we signed him. Hope he comes good in the league. Scored a goal last night which will be good for him.
Posted by: oldun, September 2, 2017, 9:38am; Reply: 53
Just heard Slade's pre Crewe interview and when asked what was the thinking regarding bringing Jamille in he said "he has got legs" and " sometimes you need something different in games" I am reassured he has legs. Just shows what nonsense cliches are around in football. I hope he has a brain a heart and balls too!
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 8:53am