Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Bigdog, August 26, 2017, 5:08pm
Fans are starting to vote with their feet. Home league gates dropping and it's only the second one of the season. Negative board, negative manager, negative signings, negative football and if we're going to be the best part of £15k down per game because of this, the money is not going to be there to sort it out.

Fenty has never been a speculate to accumulate chairman. We need someone to help push us forward, provide some excitement, not someone who works out worst case scenario for the season and sets the budget from there. What happens is eventually you get worst case scenario and if we drop out of the league again, I don't think we'll be back any time soon.

JF, you need to go out and find people to help you, because what you do just does not work. GTFC is not your play thing for life because you chucked in a few quid nearly two decades ago, it's ours. But, I can just picture you in an empty BP in a few years time with Town playing Clee Town in the Conference North still believing your way is best.
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 26, 2017, 5:10pm; Reply: 1
His loans to the club should be written off for the disastrous tenour imo
Posted by: Badger57, August 26, 2017, 5:11pm; Reply: 2
I just wish somebody from GY would win the Euro Millions and buy Fenty out!  :o
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 26, 2017, 5:13pm; Reply: 3
Only an idiot would give him money for gtfc . It's worth sodomist all   . His dept is what is dragging it down .
Posted by: LH, August 26, 2017, 5:16pm; Reply: 4
This figure will plummet next Saturday in our next legitimate fixture.
Posted by: denni266, August 26, 2017, 5:17pm; Reply: 5
J F wont get anyone to work with him.. he wants every thing his own way
Posted by: buckstown, August 26, 2017, 5:20pm; Reply: 6
When I saw the thread title I thought it was the date we next played a game and finished with 11
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 26, 2017, 5:20pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Badger57
I just wish somebody from GY would win the Euro Millions and buy Fenty out!  :o

Didn't exactly work out with the last lottery winner did it?

And the last person who tried to get involved after earning his wealth through business didn't work out either.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 26, 2017, 5:21pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from denni266
J F wont get anyone to work with him.. he wants every thing his own way

It's because they don't listen. If we all learned to listen to him it'd be hunky-dory.
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 26, 2017, 5:21pm; Reply: 9
His pathetic remark about PH when he left was nothing short of embarrassing . Childish and pety ..... PH has gone on to prove he made the right choice ... what about you John ? How many times have you made the wrong choice ?
Posted by: Davec, August 26, 2017, 9:43pm; Reply: 10
I can't remember what Fenty said about Hurst when he left
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 26, 2017, 9:47pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from fleabag1970
His pathetic remark about PH when he left was nothing short of embarrassing . Childish and pety ..... PH has gone on to prove he made the right choice ... what about you John ? How many times have you made the wrong choice ?

Having had the chance to chat to PH since he left, I know which I respect most.
Posted by: Teestogreen, August 26, 2017, 10:00pm; Reply: 12
In 2000 years time, it'll be so different.
Posted by: Bigdog, August 26, 2017, 10:11pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Teestogreen

Nah, John Fenty the 49th explaining to the GTFC fans that the reason Town can't get out of East Lincs Combination Div 3 is because we've got the fifth biggest budget and can't compete with the budgets of clubs like North Somercotes and Fulstow..
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 26, 2017, 10:13pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Teestogreen

Yeah, the Main Stand will have had new guttering.

Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 26, 2017, 10:23pm; Reply: 15
Great post BigDog!!

My sentiments exactly!! JF thinks he's a big time businessman who owns a football team. He full of excrement!! It's time he stepped aside and let someone take the Club forward!! 4000 for the 2nd Home Game of the season is woeful!!

Also, some great players allowed to leave and some more dross on 2 year deals to drain the budget!! Never learn do you!!

I really forgot your brand of football from the first stint RS, thanks for the reminder. Starting to fall out of love with GTFC!!

Do us all a favour and step aside!!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 26, 2017, 10:25pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from fleabag1970
Only an idiot would give him money for gtfc . It's worth sodomist all   . His dept is what is dragging it down .

How are the loans dragging the club down they are not being serviced as the are "benign".
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 26, 2017, 10:28pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How are the loans dragging the club down they are not being serviced as the are "benign".

They sit on the clubs official accounts as 'Directors Loans'. If a potential investor does 'Due Diligence' then they flag up as a debt owed by the club.
Posted by: Maringer, August 26, 2017, 10:31pm; Reply: 18
No fan of Fenty, but let's not delude ourselves that there are loads of folks queueing up to 'invest' in the club by chucking in a few million quid to keep it liquid.

The idea that anybody giving money to the club are anything but benefactors or that they stand to do anything but lose money in the event is just silly. Not many happy to lose a few million just to massage their ego.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), August 26, 2017, 10:37pm; Reply: 19
And the stadium??....Yep, thought as much!! JF big money making scheme!!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 26, 2017, 10:39pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Maringer
No fan of Fenty, but let's not delude ourselves that there are loads of folks queueing up to 'invest' in the club by chucking in a few million quid to keep it liquid.

The idea that anybody giving money to the club are anything but benefactors or that they stand to do anything but lose money in the event is just silly. Not many happy to lose a few million just to massage their ego.

But there's the point. Until and unless the 'debt' disappears then Fenty will retain control because no-one has the £3million plus their investment to give away.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 26, 2017, 10:49pm; Reply: 21
I said after the Coventry game we shouldn't continue playing one up front, it isn't working and is boring to watch and that fans will vote with their feet.

So that didn't take long.
Posted by: Grimal, August 26, 2017, 11:25pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from arryarryarry
I said after the Coventry game we shouldn't continue playing one up front, it isn't working and is boring to watch and that fans will vote with their feet.

So that didn't take long.

And look what happened Arry, Slade didn't take a bit of notice of you did he ?. ;)

Posted by: Marinerz93, August 26, 2017, 11:32pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC

For example you see that big awesome house for £1.5 million with loads of land and a tennis court / swimming pool that you have really wanted since you were knee high and now you have the finances to buy it. The owner is willing to sell it but he still owns the land which he isn't willing to wave away. He wants an extra £3million because he failed to maintain the property correctly and as a result had to spend £3 million to sort out the mess due to mismanagement. If you agree to spend an extra £3 million with the covenant that the owner could still use your tennis courts and pool, would you still be interested?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 26, 2017, 11:41pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Marinerz93

For example you see that big awesome house for £1.5 million with loads of land and a tennis court / swimming pool that you have really wanted since you were knee high and now you have the finances to buy it. The owner is willing to sell it but he still owns the land which he isn't willing to wave away. He wants an extra £3million because he failed to maintain the property correctly and as a result had to spend £3 million to sort out the mess due to mismanagement. If you agree to spend an extra £3 million with the covenant that the owner could still use your tennis courts and pool, would you still be interested?

Yeah agree completely its like I posted somewhere else the loans are the foundation of his continued control of the club. I would not let the smarmy Tory tw@t anywhere near my tennis court TBH,
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 26, 2017, 11:57pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Grimal

And look what happened Arry, Slade didn't take a bit of notice of you did he ?. ;)

Just like at home :o
Posted by: mariner91, August 27, 2017, 3:18am; Reply: 26
Quoted from arryarryarry

Just like at home :o

You live with Slade?!
Posted by: Bigdog, August 27, 2017, 8:46am; Reply: 27
Quoted from mariner91

You live with Slade?!

(clap2)
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 27, 2017, 5:46pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from mariner91

You live with Slade?!

Funny you should say that, the wife is fat, bald and always asking if I fancy one up the front.

Bloody 'ell I'm married to Russell Slade.(roulette)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 27, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from mariner91

You live with Slade?!

I've sat on the next table to Noddy Holder in a bar!
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, August 27, 2017, 5:53pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Yeah agree completely its like I posted somewhere else the loans are the foundation of his continued control of the club. I would not let the smarmy Tory tw@t anywhere near my tennis court TBH,

I wonder why he put the monies in as loans (No such thing as benign loans), instead of shares?

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 27, 2017, 5:54pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I've sat on the next table to Noddy Holder in a bar!

Somewhere far far away?  ;)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 27, 2017, 6:35pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Somewhere far far away?  ;)

Is Portugal far enough?  ;)
Posted by: Cloudy, August 27, 2017, 7:04pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

I wonder why he put the monies in as loans (No such thing as benign loans), instead of shares?

Easy answer.

Buy shares and in all honesty you are not getting it back. Give your money as loans then to quote JF  "if the club gets some football fortune" then why shouldn't he get his money back.

I also think that buying shares helps with the budget and FFP as opposed to loans?

The bottom line is we aren't getting the football fortune required to pay him back anytime soon and probably not in my, or JF's lifetime
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 27, 2017, 8:17pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Shares are worthless if the club goes bankrupt but owning the assets means part of his forced loans will be repaid.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, August 27, 2017, 8:25pm; Reply: 35
I can't wait to see this year's accounts so we can see where the Bogle money has gone, whether there has been a massive increase in wages which has swallowed money up or it has gone to reduced the negative retained earnings (debt) or he has paid off some of his loans.
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 27, 2017, 8:29pm; Reply: 36
I offten wonder where the OP 100k went
Posted by: mariner91, August 27, 2017, 9:27pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from arryarryarry

Funny you should say that, the wife is fat, bald and always asking if I fancy one up the front.

Bloody 'ell I'm married to Russell Slade.(roulette)

;D
Posted by: LH, August 27, 2017, 9:45pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from fleabag1970
I offten wonder where the OP 100k went

Because not every coin donated was serial numbered it'd be hard to ever find out directly. Will you finally accept that it went into the playing budget and actually achieved it's objective and not into Fenty's pocket as an answer?
Posted by: Jaws, August 27, 2017, 9:56pm; Reply: 39
If Wycombe had brought 2,000 and the gate was 6k then no-one would be questioning it. August bank holiday always takes some off the gate as does a loss the game before which explains around 1000 off the home gate for Coventry.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 27, 2017, 10:09pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Jaws
If Wycombe had brought 2,000 and the gate was 6k then no-one would be questioning it. August bank holiday always takes some off the gate as does a loss the game before which explains around 1000 off the home gate for Coventry.

That will now make 4 defeats in a row then. How many will be there next Saturday?
Posted by: Teestogreen, August 28, 2017, 4:57pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from promotion plaice

Yeah, the Main Stand will have had new guttering.

To Promotion Plaice and Bigdog - it does seem like 'groundhog day'  - / 'deja vous'

In the short term (with the current squad), it does seem that the previous 6 or 7 years fighting to get back in to the main Football League appears to be in jeopardy.

However, there are 42 more league games left.

So the onus is clearly on the individuals that run the club to ensure that GTFC, at the bare minimum, does not exit the main Football League this season.

Complacency from them (for surviving the first season back in the main Football League)) is now the biggest threat.

But exit from the main Football League can happen - it has before - and can be reality again next year.

All down to the individuals that run the club to decide, where they want the club to be in the Football League pecking order.

Fans expectation may be higher than this though.

As to which Football Ground the Town use to play on is irrelevant really.

UTM
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 28, 2017, 5:05pm; Reply: 42
Its all about JF's legacy does he want to go down in history as the man who took Grimsby Town Football Club out of the league twice? better loosen the purse strings John.
Posted by: sydney, August 28, 2017, 7:05pm; Reply: 43
It's been a disastrous start
To upset to post till now
I can take losing games as been following for decades
But at the moment don't look like winning one
Undermotivated
Underwhelming
Under disciplined
Seemingly poor squad
Obviously we have to give slade and Wilko a bit more time as I don't want yet more change and yes I can be smart after the horse has bolted but was wondering if it had been cheaper to match shrews offer for hurst and keep him than spend all this money on loads of players and two managers (three if we don't turn things round in say the next six games)
We need a result to boost confidence for all more than I can remember in recent times
Come on JF and RS sort this out please
Concerned Long term fan
Posted by: Ipswin, August 28, 2017, 7:22pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from 1542
And the stadium??....Yep, thought as much!! JF big money making scheme!!

Don't worry about the new stadium - it will never happen. All bollox like everything else at BP
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 28, 2017, 7:36pm; Reply: 45
See that there is at least one Fenty acolyte left.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 28, 2017, 8:24pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Ipswin

Don't worry about the new stadium - it will never happen. All bollox like everything else at BP

To be fair, the Bovril was hotter than normal on Saturday.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 28, 2017, 8:25pm; Reply: 47
As much as I agree that GTFC is John Fenty's self constructed "North Korea" and that he has build it on dodgy leverage with this benign loan bit and lacks imagination and professionalism on a regular basis I am not sure anyone one here can prove that the start to the season is down to him.

- We don't know what the budget is/was even when "reliable source" tells many of us in a pub apparently

- We don't know who RS tried to bring in and why they may have turned us down

- We know the length of the current players deals but not their salaries

- We don't know how much Russ has to play with for the rest of the season.

What I do know is that for whatever reason the side have not gelled which could be down to the manager as well as the suspensions, injuries and playing teams that have done better than us on the day.

Maybe just maybe the players need to take some of the blame for where we are?

Posted by: friskneymariner, August 28, 2017, 8:33pm; Reply: 48
Where does the buck stop,
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 28, 2017, 8:33pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from HertsGTFC
As much as I agree that GTFC is John Fenty's self constructed "North Korea" and that he has build it on dodgy leverage with this benign loan bit and lacks imagination and professionalism on a regular basis I am not sure anyone one here can prove that the start to the season is down to him.

- We don't know what the budget is/was even when "reliable source" tells many of us in a pub apparently

What I do know is that for whatever reason the side have not gelled which could be down to the manager as well as the suspensions, injuries and playing teams that have done better than us on the day.

Don't want to sound like an apologist for Marcus Bignot (because I'm not!), but it must be quite a hard sell to bring players into a club that sacked a mid-table manager just after (2 months) he's re-shaped the playing squad. If you put yourself in a player's boots, it must be a negative rather than a positive. Add that to some of the other negative press we've had in the recent past and you can see why some players go elsewhere.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 28, 2017, 9:14pm; Reply: 50
I think the biggest issues are not about Slade, Bignot Hurst or whoever but the fact one man has held the reigns for so long and it's just coincidence that this has coincided with the worst run of  results/performances in our long history
Posted by: Bigdog, August 28, 2017, 9:18pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think the problem is far greater and more far reaching than yet another potential season of disappointment and soul searching by some of the most loyal and passionate fans in the country.

Let's look at JF's tenure at face value. He's been in charge so he's culpable.

Championship, three relegations to non-league, years in the abyss, a lucky stumble out of non-league even with the backing of OP money and now mind numbing chaos and the threat of our club returning to non league for a second time.

In all that time, what percentage of time have we been excited or entertained properly? We all remained together due to the indignation of our club being non league. Driven on by the embarrassment and hope of one day we could proudly say we're the fan of a league club again. It held us together even though we didn't deserve to go through it all.

The issue at hand is bigger than whether we get three points on Saturday, whether RS is in charge or not, it's so much bigger.

Never has so little cash injection being put into a club to gain someone so much time in charge and call ALL the shots. There are questions to be asked about the future plans for our club. We cannot have one man control our club for half of our lifetimes for £2-3m. It;s not enough for a league club that wants to progress.

I'm sick of how this club is run, I'm sick of the lack of entertainment, I'm sick of how our fans are treated and I'm sick of the feeling of hopelessness.

I'll challenge Getyourfactsright to a one on one thread, all he has to do is name the time, to get to the bottom of everything. If someone else fancies doing it I'll step aside or have a vote to see who participates.

Something has to change or else there's lifelong fans like me who will also be considering just having to walk away and save themselves a lot of pain and grief. We cannot go on as a club season after season the way we are. It's got to stop and stop sometime soon for all our sakes, especially the younger fans who know nothing other than a club run by JF.
Posted by: realist, August 28, 2017, 9:21pm; Reply: 52
I share your pain and frustration Bigdog and commend you on an excellent post.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 28, 2017, 9:25pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Bigdog

I think the problem is far greater and far reaching than yet another potential season of disappointment and soul searching by some of the most loyal and passionate fans in the country.

Championship, three relegations to non-league, years in the abyss, a lucky stumble out of non-league even with the backing of OP money and now mind numbing chaos and the threat of our club returning to non league for a second time.

In all that time, what percentage of time have we been excited or entertained properly? We all remained together due to the indignation of our club being non league. Driven on by the embarrassment and hope of one day we could proudly say we're the fan of a league club again. It held us together even though we didn't deserve to go through it all.

The issue at hand is bigger than whether we get three points on Saturday, whether RS is in charge or not, it's so much bigger.

Never has so little cash injection being put into a club to gain someone so much time in charge and call ALL the shots. There are questions to be asked about the future plans for our club. We cannot have one man control our club for half of our lifetimes for £2-3m. It;s not enough for a league club that wants to progress.

I'm sick of how this club is run, I'm sick of the lack of entertainment, I'm sick of how our fans are treated and I'm sick of the feeling of hopelessness.

I'll challenge Getyourfactsright to a one on one thread, all he has to do is name the time, to get to the bottom of everything. If someone else fancies doing it I'll step aside or have a vote to see who participates.

Something has to change or else there's lifelong fans like me who will also be considering just having to walk away and save themselves a lot of pain and grief. We cannot go on as a club season after season the way we are. It's got to stop and stop sometime soon for all our sakes, especially the younger fans who know nothing other than a club run by JF.

Pretty much sums it up for me.
Posted by: mariner91, August 28, 2017, 9:30pm; Reply: 54
Good post Bigdog.
Posted by: londonmariner2, August 28, 2017, 9:31pm; Reply: 55
Why should he put more of his own money into the club and then get slagged off? Maybe he doesn't have much more money to spare. I believe he has the clubs best interest at heart and would sell if there was a feasible buyer.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 28, 2017, 9:32pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Cloudy
I think the biggest issues are not about Slade, Bignot Hurst or whoever but the fact one man has held the reigns for so long and it's just coincidence that this has coincided with the worst run of  results/performances in our long history

I'm trying to work out why it's a coincidence? We've had all the various incidents that have caused bad press, bad PR and countless poor managerial appointments. I just think that GTFC, as a business, has been badly run for well over a decade. I feel for the younger members of our fanbase who haven't witnessed a really good Town team mixing with clubs who are now Premier League. Yes, we were batting above our average but there are many clubs in the top two divisions who we used to meet (and beat) on a regular basis not very long ago.

In my opinion, another relegation will kill Grimsby Town Football Club. Who would you blame then?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 28, 2017, 9:43pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from londonmariner2
Why should he put more of his own money into the club and then get slagged off? Maybe he doesn't have much more money to spare. I believe he has the clubs best interest at heart and would sell if there was a feasible buyer.

If I had several thousands of pounds loaned to a football club, I would have my own interests at heart if I'm honest.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 28, 2017, 9:45pm; Reply: 58
Totally agree Bigdog, but the inescapable conclusion I have reached is all us season ticket holders and regular attenders are enablers of Fenty.
Sorry to say it is the floating attenders who have the most influence,we are passive recipients to whatever dross and  P.R. that is dished out to us..  

Don't know what the answer is though.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 28, 2017, 9:48pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from friskneymariner
Totally agree Bigdog, but the inescapable conclusion I have reached is all us season ticket holders and regular attenders are enablers of Fenty.
Sorry to say it is the floating attenders who have the most influence,we are passive recipients to whatever dross and  P.R. that is dished out to us..  

Don't know what the answer is though.

I'm not sure I appreciate being described in those terms!
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 28, 2017, 10:00pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm not sure I appreciate being described in those terms!

No neither do I but it is the sad fact.
Posted by: Jaws, August 28, 2017, 10:14pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Bigdog

I think the problem is far greater and far reaching than yet another potential season of disappointment and soul searching by some of the most loyal and passionate fans in the country.

Can't disagree with any of that. Also odd how 2 other investors have come and then left under mysterious circumstances never to be aired publicly as again with 2 managers. If the club (Fenty) had done nothing wrong then surely we'd know the full story.?
Posted by: sydney, August 28, 2017, 11:29pm; Reply: 62
Do you know relegation to the conference sends shivers down my spine
Look at Stockport
York
And looks like Hartlepool this year similar fate
The depth we could fall seemingly endless
Three inept performances in a row and if we follow that with three more it will see us cemented in the bottom two
Too few players on the pitch who have any lengthy history with us and can remember that Town players give a damn
Town players play for the badge and us fans
Let's recreate the highs of Chesterfield 5th Aug sooner rather than later please
RS get you finger
Come on Town!
Posted by: golfer, August 29, 2017, 8:37am; Reply: 63
The non-professionalism [for lack of another word] goes back to Newell including disciplinary meetings on stairs
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 29, 2017, 9:06am; Reply: 64
The club needs fresh leadership cos with the present guy in charge at some point in the near future we will be seeing non league again , having said that I still think Slade will improve things all be it only slightly this season.  Looking forward to getyourfactsright one on one with big dog
Posted by: TAGG, August 29, 2017, 10:01am; Reply: 65
Quoted from friskneymariner
Where does the buck stop,

Fenty
Posted by: Zmariner, August 29, 2017, 10:22am; Reply: 66
Quoted from londonmariner2

I believe this is he truth as well. I have been a season ticket holder for years , although I do miss a lot i games and a return to non league would not stop my support but 25 years of season tickets would end for sure. Whilst a league team my support is guaranteed. Team needs to find some confidence , 'this one forward business is a killer when the results are rubbish utm
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 7:31am