Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Freemoash88, August 26, 2017, 12:20pm
I've been reading lots of threads now with users saying about the season being over already and that its going to be another mid tale finish which I'd take If I'm  honest. Because we all know the rubbish at the start of the season from Fenty and Russel about really going for it was load of balderdash. All that was for was Season ticket sales and footflow into BP.

It's obvious a 2 year plan like last time Slade was here get the foundations laid get rid of the deadwood and next season finish the squad off with some quality players to take us that extra step whilst keeping the good players from the previous season.

I just don't get why some people think we are title challengers or whatever. I know not all of you think that I'm talking about the minority.

Posted by: Gaffer58, August 26, 2017, 1:38pm; Reply: 1
A 2 year plan is fine with me, my concern is that it might be conference next year if we aren't careful, and that does not mean getting rid of Slade this early we need some stability after last seasons shenanigans.
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 26, 2017, 1:40pm; Reply: 2
It is a fair point . That first season he was here we were shocking ....
Posted by: Cloudy, August 26, 2017, 5:17pm; Reply: 3
I think you have a higher opinion of Fenty to me if you believe he has a plan beyond drinking wine this evening!
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 26, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 4
Managers go on about long term plans to buy time . Decent managers just get results
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 26, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 5
Look at Slade's run as a manager the last couple of years ..It's shocking , John fenty needs to take a big long look at himself.
Posted by: grimps, August 26, 2017, 6:07pm; Reply: 6
We've been robbed by Fenty again , every year we wait until the end of the transfer window and end up with the dregs , I'd never get a season ticket until I see some decent signings again
Posted by: lukeo, August 26, 2017, 6:41pm; Reply: 7
I won't lie I wasn't a fan of Hurst, I fell for Bignot and when Slade came I felt we had the best of the 3... How wrong  I was on All 3. Jesus christ wtf is going on.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 26, 2017, 6:47pm; Reply: 8
Good job we got rid of Bignot before he took us into the relegation zone.  ;)
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 26, 2017, 7:02pm; Reply: 9
Slade was cheap, ie out of a job so cost sweet fa, Fenty congratulating himself on a good bit of business.
Posted by: chaos33, August 26, 2017, 7:04pm; Reply: 10
Fenty and Slade have killed it. End of. Big following desperate to get behind a promotion bid, and they try to do it on the cheap and get found out. You watch the fans go 'no thanks' and walk away. A player sent off every game?! Losing at home to sh1t to average teams?! Load of cr@p.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 26, 2017, 7:31pm; Reply: 11
I do wonder why Mr Fenty has got away with his astonishingly poor leadership and results under his tenure?

Is it because Town fans are just accepting of dross with a shrug and believe it could be worse like Darlington or Scarborough? Indeed it could, but then again it could be like Burton or even Scunny.

He never seems to attract criticism which the drop in stature deserves.

Frankly he has been head honcho for far too long, his reign of terror should be over. Write off your bail out money and go and lets start again!
Posted by: realist, August 26, 2017, 8:13pm; Reply: 12
Too many happy clappers, that's why
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 26, 2017, 8:21pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from realist
Too many happy clappers, that's why

Surely none left now,mind you they done this club no good by blindly accepting everything Fenty has done and shouting down everybody who voices a contrary opinion,where are they now.
Posted by: Grimal, August 26, 2017, 8:22pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Cloudy
I do wonder why Mr Fenty has got away with his astonishingly poor leadership and results under his tenure?

Is it because Town fans are just accepting of dross with a shrug and believe it could be worse like Darlington or Scarborough? Indeed it could, but then again it could be like Burton or even Scunny.

He never seems to attract criticism which the drop in stature deserves.

Frankly he has been head honcho for far too long, his reign of terror should be over. Write off your bail out money and go and lets start again!

And on your way out Mr.Fenty would you kindly hold the door open to let in all the multi billionaires that have been kicking at the door wanting to offload their wads of Wonga with GTFC.           Lets get real, It ain't going to happen any time soon.

Posted by: mariner91, August 26, 2017, 8:29pm; Reply: 15
I don't know how much Mike Parker has but he was certainly willing to spend some on the club at one point before a certain somebody became too difficult to work with. And who knows who else would be out there if the biggest factor in the way, Fenty and his loans, was removed?

Look how Lincoln have thrived by getting in someone who has some business sense and only a small amount of money. Their South African chap put in £250K last year which isn't much but they're reaping the benefits of not having a useless leader.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 26, 2017, 8:31pm; Reply: 16
Don't need multi billionaires Grimal.

Just need sensible driven businessmen to get others on board. Then get the fans fully involved. Lots would love 2 invest a little.

You don't need huge sums, you need total buy in from your fans and you need a strategy and a plan. Above all you need to be united, something we are a million miles away at present.

Don't expect it to happen as JF values his role far too highly
Posted by: Grimal, August 26, 2017, 8:42pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Cloudy

Just need sensible driven businessmen to get others on board. Then get the fans fully involved. Lots would love 2 invest a little.

You don't need huge sums, you need total buy in from your fans and you need a strategy and a plan. Above all you need to be united, something we are a million miles away at present.

I see what you're saying Cloudy but hasn't JF stated if the right investor came along he would step aside but it would only be if GTFC was in safe hands.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 26, 2017, 8:47pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from friskneymariner

Surely none left now,mind you they done this club no good by blindly accepting everything Fenty has done and shouting down everybody who voices a contrary opinion,where are they now.

And i suppose you have done wonders by opposing from behind a computer keyboard.

What the fook is a happy clapper anyway and why is it their fault?
Posted by: Cloudy, August 26, 2017, 8:51pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Grimal

I see what you're saying Cloudy but hasn't JF stated if the right investor came along he would step aside but it would only be if GTFC was in safe hands.

He has indeed. He has said a lot of things ;)
Posted by: Bigdog, August 26, 2017, 8:54pm; Reply: 20
The Two Year Plan

According to JF, RS and PW it's Hooper, Fox and Kelly

We're stuck with wasted budget next season on top of not being able to offload poor two year contracts handed out a year ago. It's never ending incompetence..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 26, 2017, 8:56pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

And i suppose you have done wonders by opposing from behind a computer keyboard.

So, because you had your much publicised meeting with JF, that enables you to take the moral high ground. Well let's take a look at the facts, Devon, flasks, flags, Radio Humberside, The Cleethorpes Chronicle, sacking countless managers that you've mistakenly appointed etc etc. Despite various attempts at a new stadium nothing happens and we, once again, are looking down towards the National League rather than up at League 1. We've spent most of the summer signing dross for a manager that has zero promotions to his name. Oh yes, the Fenty era has been a roaring success, hasn't it?
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 26, 2017, 9:01pm; Reply: 22
A happy clapper is one of those diminishes band who are willing week in week out to accept the dross we are being served up week in week out without any critical comment and over identify for their own personal reason with those who have got us into this position.and vociferously  attack any critical comment.Cap fit?
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 26, 2017, 9:02pm; Reply: 23
The fenty era has been a complete failure
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 26, 2017, 9:04pm; Reply: 24
Safe hands ?????? Lmfao
Posted by: Vance Warner, August 26, 2017, 9:06pm; Reply: 25

People like myself who supported Hurst were branded 'happy clappers' where's he now? It says a lot that being a 'happy clapper' and a 'do gooder' are common insults in today's' society.

Anyway, as for Fenty he's had an unbelievably easy ride, I remember the late Bill Carr getting slated when we had to spend one whole season in what's now League 1!
Posted by: Grimal, August 26, 2017, 9:06pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from mariner91
I don't know how much Mike Parker has but he was certainly willing to spend some on the club at one point before a certain somebody became too difficult to work with. And who knows who else would be out there if the biggest factor in the way, Fenty and his loans, was removed?

Look how Lincoln have thrived by getting in someone who has some business sense and only a small amount of money. Their South African chap put in £250K last year which isn't much but they're reaping the benefits of not having a useless leader.

I doubt if  it's the £250K that is the reason for Lincolns upturn, obviously it would have helped but I'd put it down to having a very good young up and coming management team in the Cowley brothers.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 26, 2017, 9:11pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from mariner91

Well if the loans were properly benign then they would have been written off some time ago. But benign is one of those words that has no finite meaning and the loans just sit in the corporate accounts of GTFC as a reminder that Mr Fenty has invested a shitload of money in the club whilst we have disappeared down the drain and the club we once were is no longer.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 26, 2017, 9:17pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Vance Warner

People like myself who supported Hurst were branded 'happy clappers' where's he now? It says a lot that being a 'happy clapper' and a 'do gooder' are common insults in today's' society.

Anyway, as for Fenty he's had an unbelievably easy ride, I remember the late Bill Carr getting slated when we had to spend one whole season in what's now League 1!

Oi I was a professional do-gooder for 25 years.
Posted by: mariner91, August 26, 2017, 9:18pm; Reply: 29
Hence why I didn't call them benign. If he truly didn't want it hanging over the club like a bad smell, essentially giving him control because anyone knows they would either have to pay him off or let him have his way each time, then he'd write them off. The fact he hasn't speaks volumes.
Posted by: mariner91, August 26, 2017, 9:20pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Grimal

I doubt if  it's the £250K that is the reason for Lincolns upturn, obviously it would have helped but I'd put it down to having a very good young up and coming management team in the Cowley brothers.

Surely that is the whole point I was making? He didn't invest much but I'm reliably informed that he was a leading factor in them chasing the Cowleys because he's clearly got a decent brain and knows how to run a club. You don't need to invest millions if you appoint the right manager and don't have to pay off countless shite players that you've handed out two year contracts to.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 26, 2017, 9:22pm; Reply: 31
Seriously can someone explain to me how we are better off now than under Bignot.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 26, 2017, 9:23pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Gaffer58
Slade was cheap, ie out of a job so cost sweet fa, Fenty congratulating himself on a good bit of business.

Although he had to sack 3 people to appoint him.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 26, 2017, 9:27pm; Reply: 33
Seriously can someone explain to me how we are better off now than under Bignot.

It doesn't look like we are.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 26, 2017, 9:28pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from mariner91
Hence why I didn't call them benign. If he truly didn't want it hanging over the club like a bad smell, essentially giving him control because anyone knows they would either have to pay him off or let him have his way each time, then he'd write them off. The fact he hasn't speaks volumes.

Exactly - but to re-iterate what's been said before, no-one with £3 million plus what they're willing to invest is making a beeline to sunny Cleethorpes to invest in a football club with so little going for it. GTFC is in my blood and it's dying on its' bottom in front of my eyes.
Posted by: mariner91, August 26, 2017, 9:36pm; Reply: 35
If Fenty truly cared about the club he would make it publically known that at no point does he want his loans paying back, he'd write them off. By now most of that must be from his own shite decisions anyway so how he can reasonably expect to get it back is beyond me.
Posted by: GrimRob, August 26, 2017, 10:00pm; Reply: 36

We're not but at least we tried. It made sense to give someone a few weeks and a whole transfer window. If an inexperienced manager doesn't work we normally go for experience in the next appointment. As neither has now worked and both are fresh in the memory, I expect JF will go for a third option, maybe a player-manager, or someone from abroad.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 26, 2017, 10:10pm; Reply: 37
It is the first time in a while were I've genuinely retained very little expectation of getting a result going into games. Even under bignot I had the sense we could maybe pull something out the bag. I think the issue Is, slade hasn't evolved as a manager. He's still trying methods that worked for him a decade ago, and judging by his most recent appointments, there's little chance of that changing.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 26, 2017, 10:11pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So, because you had your much publicised meeting with JF, that enables you to take the moral high ground. Well let's take a look at the facts, Devon, flasks, flags, Radio Humberside, The Cleethorpes Chronicle, sacking countless managers that you've mistakenly appointed etc etc. Despite various attempts at a new stadium nothing happens and we, once again, are looking down towards the National League rather than up at League 1. We've spent most of the summer signing dross for a manager that has zero promotions to his name. Oh yes, the Fenty era has been a roaring success, hasn't it?

Moral high ground? Not at all.

I would just like to know what the fook moaning about it on here will achieve. Like me, you were also invited to go see JF and you declined, so don't come over all keyboard warrior on me.

I'm as unhappy as the next fan, but unlike some, i accept there's not a right lot i can do about it, save stop going to games and what will that achieve?

And no, the cap does not fit as i am far from happy.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 26, 2017, 10:21pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from ginnywings

I would just like to know what the fook moaning about it on here will achieve. Like me, you were also invited to go see JF and you declined, so don't come over all keyboard warrior on me.

I'm as unhappy as the next fan, but unlike some, i accept there's not a right lot i can do about it, save stop going to games and what will that achieve?

Moaning on here will probably achieve eff all. Just the same as having an appointment with the self-appointed saviour of GTFC, It's not about being 'all keyboard warrior' - this is the future of our football club that's at stake - I'm not willing to be patronised by the man whose 'benign' loans hang over the club like the Sword of Damocles even if you are.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 26, 2017, 10:21pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings

Because the last time I checked this is a Grimsby town football forum ..
Posted by: ginnywings, August 26, 2017, 10:36pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Moaning on here will probably achieve eff all. Just the same as having an appointment with the self-appointed saviour of GTFC, It's not about being 'all keyboard warrior' - this is the future of our football club that's at stake - I'm not willing to be patronised by the man whose 'benign' loans hang over the club like the Sword of Damocles even if you are.

And that is exactly my point. Whether you accept the status quo and are deemed an happy clapper, or whether you rant and rave on a message board is all irrelevant. You not willing to be patronised as you put it, won't make a blind bit of difference. I don't know why you are having a go at me and why others are seeking to apportion blame to fans they see as accepting mediocrity.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 26, 2017, 10:38pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Because the last time I checked this is a Grimsby town football forum ..

Yes it is but blaming "happy clappers" for the state of affairs is plain daft. Why blame fans for turning up and supporting the team.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 26, 2017, 10:42pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from ginnywings

Yes it is but blaming "happy clappers" for the state of affairs is plain daft. Why blame fans for turning up and supporting the team.

Don't blame anyone for supporting their,don't expect everybody to agree with me,but I do take exception to being slated for  stating opinion by people who are now conspicuous by their absence.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 26, 2017, 10:46pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from ginnywings

And that is exactly my point. Whether you accept the status quo and are deemed an happy clapper, or whether you rant and rave on a message board is all irrelevant. You not willing to be patronised as you put it, won't make a blind bit of difference. I don't know why you are having a go at me and why others are seeking to apportion blame to fans they see as accepting mediocrity.

I'm not having a go at any individuals. I just don't see the point of accepting the state of GTFC just to placate the chairman/non-chairman/senior director/director. Mr Fenty has presided over the worst era in the club's history (fact) and is preventing external investment by refusing to write off his loans to the club spent on reckless appointments. Whether or not you approved of Bignot's appointment, who appointed him, who authorised January's signings and the sale of Bogle, who sacked him 6 months in etc? Not me, not you, but the club's senior investor.
Posted by: Grimal, August 26, 2017, 10:47pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Was he one of the three musketeers ?  ;)

Posted by: ginnywings, August 26, 2017, 10:50pm; Reply: 46
[/b]
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm not having a go at any individuals.[b] I just don't see the point of accepting the state of GTFC
just to placate the chairman/non-chairman/senior director/director. Mr Fenty has presided over the worst era in the club's history (fact) and is preventing external investment by refusing to write off his loans to the club spent on reckless appointments. Whether or not you approved of Bignot's appointment, who appointed him, who authorised January's signings and the sale of Bogle, who sacked him 6 months in etc? Not me, not you, but the club's senior investor.

But my point is that we have no choice but to accept it. Where are the alternatives?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 26, 2017, 10:55pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from mariner91
If Fenty truly cared about the club he would make it publically known that at no point does he want his loans paying back, he'd write them off. By now most of that must be from his own shite decisions anyway so how he can reasonably expect to get it back is beyond me.

The benign loans keep him in power. They are not currently being serviced but if anyone wanted to take over they would need to be repaid which would mean that  new investor would have to square the debt as well as invest in the future and considering the only fixed asset that the club has is the BP land (apparently) there is in reality very little to invest in.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 26, 2017, 10:59pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from ginnywings
[b][/b]

But my point is that we have no choice but to accept it. Where are the alternatives?

There will not be any alternatives until the club makes enough money to pay off the Directors Loans. We are stuck in a stalemate.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 26, 2017, 11:06pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from ginnywings

How come you two got invited?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 26, 2017, 11:12pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Cloudy

Agree with all this but I do reckon you need millions, how many teams have grown "organically" in recent times, Brighton, Huddersfield spring to mind but they came from better starting positions than Town, decent grounds and a fan base from a large catchment for starters.    
Posted by: ginnywings, August 26, 2017, 11:23pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How come you two got invited?

I dunno. I had a rant about the checkatrade trophy and the Mike Parker situation and JF contacted me to go in and discuss it, so i did. It's something he does when he takes exception to comments, so i imagine Old Codger said something he disagreed with.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 26, 2017, 11:35pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from ginnywings

I dunno. I had a rant about the checkatrade trophy and the Mike Parker situation and JF contacted me to go in and discuss it, so i did. It's something he does when he takes exception to comments, so i imagine Old Codger said something he disagreed with.

Fair play, I do remember it was when I first started posting. Looking at the current state of affairs if he applies the same methodology  he may need to organise some form of queuing system outside his office.  
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 26, 2017, 11:48pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Fair play, I do remember it was when I first started posting. Looking at the current state of affairs if he applies the same methodology  he may need to organise some form of queuing system outside his office.  

Only when you post something that isn't common knowledge or like posting something close to the bone that doesn't portray JF or the board in good light.

But if you are ever invited he will have pages and pages printed off what you have said and will challenge you on every page like he did Ginny.
Posted by: Quagmire, August 26, 2017, 11:49pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from ginnywings

I think that directorships come up for re-election every so many years.

It's feasible that he could actually be voted off the board if sufficient shareholders vote against his re-appointment as a director (whenever that comes up).

He is majority shareholder though so I'm not sure how 'easy' it would be to do this - it will obviously need other people who feel the same way about removing him to buy up shares - but I also think that share purchases at the kind of level neeed to do this need to be agreed/sanctioned at board level, so if he sees potential share purchases as a way to dilute his majority he will be reluctant to sanction those sales.

Personally I'd like the Trust to step out of the boardroom, it's patently obvious that despite all their hard work they have little influence over club policy in the important matters (Boycott Trophy being one).

I'd like to see the Trust join forces with Mike Parker (and other individuals) and look for a way to dilute Fenty's holdings and vote him off the board.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 26, 2017, 11:56pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Quagmire

I think that directorships come up for re-election every so many years.

It's feasible that he could actually be voted off the board if sufficient shareholders vote against his re-appointment as a director (whenever that comes up).

He is majority shareholder though so I'm not sure how 'easy' it would be to do this - it will obviously need other people who feel the same way about removing him to buy up shares - but I also think that share purchases at the kind of level neeed to do this need to be agreed/sanctioned at board level, so if he sees potential share purchases as a way to dilute his majority he will be reluctant to sanction those sales.

Personally I'd like the Trust to step out of the boardroom, it's patently obvious that despite all their hard work they have little influence over club policy in the important matters (Boycott Trophy being one).

I'd like to see the Trust join forces with Mike Parker (and other individuals) and look for a way to dilute Fenty's holdings and vote him off the board.

A good idea but Fenty put a block on the trust accepting any more shares from MP, and whats to stop JF looting the trust again if he became out numbered in shares, and there is the £3 million someone would have to stump to remove him fully.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 27, 2017, 12:04am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Marinerz93

A good idea but Fenty put a block on the trust accepting any more shares from MP, and whats to stop JF looting the trust again if he became out numbered in shares, and there is the £3 million someone would have to stump to remove him fully.

The problem is you would need more than £3 million as we need cash to move forward after you squared his loans. Mullen never had that kind of money or the intellect to be anything but a support act which never lasts long.

We need someone with big money to come in settle the debt, fund some playing improvement, court investment for the stadium complex and then sell their stake to the other investors once the stadium project proves it's worth. Sounds easy but with a max fan base projection of what? anything between 6 and 10,000 (max)  it's just not worth the risk.  
Posted by: Quagmire, August 27, 2017, 12:10am; Reply: 57
Quoted from Marinerz93

The Trust don't need to accept shares from MP, just vote alongside him and others when JFs directorship comes up for re-election.

Nobody would need to stump up the 3 million initially if the loans are as 'benign' as he claims - obviously over time the loans would need to be repaid but I don't think there would be an obligation to pay them off immediately if JF was removed from the board.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 27, 2017, 12:14am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Quagmire

The Trust don't need to accept shares from MP, just vote alongside him and others when JFs directorship comes up for re-election.

Nobody would need to stump up the 3 million initially if the loans are as 'benign' as he claims - obviously over time the loans would need to be repaid but I don't think there would be an obligation to pay them off immediately if JF was removed from the board.

Do directors need re-electing? I thought it was only the chair, treasurer and secretary in a board constitution, As JF is a "non chairman" his power base is even stronger in reality.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 27, 2017, 12:14am; Reply: 59
Quoted from Quagmire

I would wager that within a minute JF is voted off the board he'll want he loans paid in full and a short time limit placed on it. Didn't Ramsden do this with the £400k he had in loans when JF took over.
Posted by: Quagmire, August 27, 2017, 12:30am; Reply: 60
Quoted from Marinerz93

I would wager that within a minute JF is voted off the board he'll want he loans paid in full and a short time limit placed on it. Didn't Ramsden do this with the £400k he had in loans when JF took over.

I think you're right, I'd expect the loan to be called in, but the club wouldn't have the means to repay the loan, so what can he do about it other than to take legal action to force the club to sell any assets it has / force the club out of business - and that isn't the action of someone who has the club at heart and who's loans are genuinely benign.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 27, 2017, 4:58am; Reply: 61
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You left out the ambulance fiasco, Mighty Mariner farrago, Checkatrade Trophy "I'm not listening" stance, "the fans are not listening", Tampongate, blackmailing the Trust to give up shares (though more the fool those who voted for it) and the small matter of the LOWEST EVER LEAGUE POSITION (the previous time we were out of the League it only had two divisions).
Posted by: rancido, August 27, 2017, 8:43am; Reply: 62
Quoted from grimps
We've been robbed by Fenty again , every year we wait until the end of the transfer window and end up with the dregs , I'd never get a season ticket until I see some decent signings again

That is absolute boll*x! Slade has made 10 signings and sourcing players is nothing to do with JF. It is Slade who has procrastinated in bringing players in , not JF. For all of Slades experience and contacts , it is he and he alone who has dithered in the transfer market.
Posted by: cannylad68, August 27, 2017, 8:59am; Reply: 63
I know Scunthorpe get a lot of criticism on here but, they have to be admired for their progress over the years.
It's a pity we've been unable to follow suit.

John Fenty will still be on the board, whilst he has breath in his body.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 27, 2017, 9:05am; Reply: 64
JF cannot call his loans in unless the club can afford to pay them back.This applies to all loans made by directors.

Being the majority shareholder JF effectively has total control. Mike Parker and The Trust combined don't have the capacity to oust JF ieven if they wanted.

Although Johns shareholding is less than 51% if you take account the number of (literally) dead shareholders then he has total control ( and god does he know it)

What isn't widely known is if the current budget was highly competitive and RS has wasted it, or if it was  a bottom 8 budget and that is why we haven't been able to deliver thus far
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 27, 2017, 9:20am; Reply: 65
Quoted from Cloudy
JF cannot call his loans in unless the club can afford to pay them back.This applies to all loans made by directors.

Being the majority shareholder JF effectively has total control. Mike Parker and The Trust combined don't have the capacity to oust JF ieven if they wanted.

Although Johns shareholding is less than 51% if you take account the number of (literally) dead shareholders then he has total control ( and god does he know it)

What isn't widely known is if the current budget was highly competitive and RS has wasted it, or if it was  a bottom 8 budget and that is why we haven't been able to deliver thus far

Maybe the 2 year plan is to go down and come back up again just to get Slade a promotion?
Posted by: rancido, August 27, 2017, 9:41am; Reply: 66
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Maybe the 2 year plan is to go down and come back up again just to get Slade a promotion?

The Nearly Man will never get a promotion as long as there is a hole in my anus ! Even MB had a promotion with Solihull and before it is pointed out that it was only a non-league club, RS couldn't achieve that when he was a non-league manager.
Posted by: Quagmire, August 27, 2017, 9:42am; Reply: 67
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Do directors need re-electing? I thought it was only the chair, treasurer and secretary in a board constitution, As JF is a "non chairman" his power base is even stronger in reality.

Directors are elected / re-elected, although I'm unsure how regular this event is.  

According to the latest available accounts (end May 2016) both Chapman and JF were up for re-election at the AGM (sometime December 2016) and were re-elected - I'm not sure when JF will come up for re-election again.

In terms of holdings, again looking at the latest accounts available, it appears JF holds 43% of issued shares.

Assuming MP still holds 500k, the Trust 300k, Mullen 130k this gives this group approx 41% of issued shares, with the remaining 16% held by 'others'.

Someone better at maths than me could (if they wanted) work out what kind of share purchase would be necessary to be in a position to vote JF off the board at the next AGM where his directorship comes up for re-election.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 27, 2017, 11:38am; Reply: 68
As others have said the main thing holding the club back are the director loans. They have stopped people taking over previously. Nobody with money wants to work with the current administration.

The honorouble thing to do would be to free the club from the debt.
Posted by: malkamalka, August 27, 2017, 12:15pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from ginnywings

I saw a mini bus once on the A66. It was called the "Happy Clappers Christian Revival"

Didn't realise they were Town fans  ;)

Posted by: mariner91, August 27, 2017, 12:17pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from malkamalka

I saw a mini bus once on the A66. It was called the "Happy Clappers Christian Revival"

Can only be a good thing, reckon we could do with some Divine intervention.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 27, 2017, 1:39pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from headingly_mariner
As others have said the main thing holding the club back are the director loans. They have stopped people taking over previously. Nobody with money wants to work with the current administration.

The honorouble thing to do would be to free the club from the debt.

It's all the rage - surrounding yourself with 'yes' men with no clout - albeit Donald Trump is running through 'yes' men far quicker than JF.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 27, 2017, 1:49pm; Reply: 72
I never get this, how can you be a fish merchant and then all of a sudden turn your hand to running a football club, says it all really,  

Have we still got a chief executive?, Ian Fleming is it? Maybe instead of writing spy novels he should just re-publish his biography - The Invisible Man! What does he do for his weekly wage I wonder? In my day I think he would have been called The Club Secretary.

Posted by: sam gy, August 27, 2017, 2:14pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from malkamalka

I saw a sign over the motorway saying 'Hurst Out' whilst we were in the middle of the playoffs. Hurst is now managing at the top end of league one with a load of ex town players who apparently were never any good for us.

I remember being called a 'happy clapper' loads during Hursts reign for wanting to get behind him and the players.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 27, 2017, 3:48pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from sam gy

I saw a sign over the motorway saying 'Hurst Out' whilst we were in the middle of the playoffs. Hurst is now managing at the top end of league one with a load of ex town players who apparently were never any good for us.

I remember being called a 'happy clapper' loads during Hursts reign for wanting to get behind him and the players.

Define 'a load'. Is it any more than 4? That includes a GK he never played at Town, and Rodman who he shipped out.
Posted by: sam gy, August 27, 2017, 5:18pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Define 'a load'. Is it any more than 4? That includes a GK he never played at Town, and Rodman who he shipped out.

I'd say 4 outfield players is quite a lot....and he didn't ship him out, Rodman rejected our offer.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 27, 2017, 5:42pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Quagmire

I'd heard from someone that knew Mike Parker that said he was drunk off with the trust for giving those shares to JF.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 27, 2017, 5:47pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'd heard from someone that new Mike Parker that said he was drunk off with the trust for giving those shares to JF.

I spoke to someone who knows MP very well and 'pi$$ed off' is somewhat of an understatement. At the time, I couldn't believe how gullible the fans had been.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 27, 2017, 5:56pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I spoke to someone who knows MP very well and 'pi$$ed off' is somewhat of an understatement. At the time, I couldn't believe how gullible the fans had been.

Think it is a case of Stockholm Syndrome.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 27, 2017, 6:25pm; Reply: 79
forza ivano      
May 31, 2017, 11:37pm

Forza called it about right back in May.  Jusy add in a long-term injuries to key players, and selling a striker:

"Just to play devils advocate even further. Madeley mariner is factually correct with his view that Kelly's projection is ever downward. It is a fact that the fat Scottish Kent ,who, whatever his failings is a v successful manager , has ridded himself of rose asap on 2 occasions, whilst dembele has never been considered good enough by any pro team to be offered a contract. We have a gk who we all know is good conference at best, plus 2 players in their mid 30s and a 30 year old who has hardly played a game in 18 months. Add to that berrett, summerfield and yusuf who are mid table performers at best, and IMHO we will do well to get even close to the play offs. Oh, I forgot, and we haven't got a goalscorer. At least we are not looking forward to Braintree and Maidenhead away, but it don't look brilliant.".
Posted by: Cloudy, August 27, 2017, 7:07pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Really?

I was told Mike Parker was fully involved in the decision and gave the go ahead before the proposal was publically put to the vote!
Posted by: Garth, August 27, 2017, 7:15pm; Reply: 81
Would have thought that the trust had spoken to Mike Parker before handing over the shares as a matter of etiquette
Posted by: jaygy, August 27, 2017, 7:55pm; Reply: 82
At what point does Fenty just simply walk away and let the club pays his loans back in instalments? The new ground gets cancelled permanently and home gates drop below 2,000 with protests outside the ground? I know it's highly unlikely but there must be a breaking point
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 27, 2017, 8:25pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'd heard from someone that knew Mike Parker that said he was drunk off with the trust for giving those shares to JF.

It wouldn't surprise me. I'd have been fuming if I'd work hard all my working life to amass enough money to "invest" in my football club then having given £1/2m worth away following some disagreement with my 'partner' on the board, the buggers then gave half of them away to said 'partner'.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 27, 2017, 8:26pm; Reply: 84

Think it is a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

(thumbup)
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 6:19pm