Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Sigone, August 24, 2017, 1:24pm
Signs a 1yr deal and is loaned out for the season to Scarborough.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 24, 2017, 1:41pm; Reply: 1
Article on the club's site says he can be recalled. Also mentions he'll be playing alongside Michael Coulson.
Posted by: Maringer, August 24, 2017, 2:15pm; Reply: 2
Good for him. Pleased to see we're keeping on a young player with potential, even if he's not likely to get a look in this season. Hopefully one of the young lads will break through eventually, but will Clifton get a chance at all this year?
Posted by: livosnose, August 24, 2017, 2:17pm; Reply: 3
I know hes had terrible luck with knee injuries but Coulson hasn't half dropped down the leagues. Maybe he cant get insured ?
Posted by: lobsterpot, August 24, 2017, 2:30pm; Reply: 4
Delighted for Max. He's town thru and thru and has worked so hard coming back from 2 ankle breaks and the omission from the pre season Devon tour and squad photo. Here's hoping we see him break thru at some stage. Maybe let him and Harry play in the Z team cup? I couldnt understand why RS never gave Clifton a chance for the last 10 mins vs Derby to be honest it wouldnt have hurt.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 24, 2017, 2:33pm; Reply: 5
Great news,  good to see him being rewarded for a decent preseason.  I hope he manages lots of games and comes back ready to fight for another new contract and a first team spot.

Hopefully we will see Clifton get some minutes soon.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 24, 2017, 3:37pm; Reply: 6
Good news for the lad and the club,

He will come back when we sell Dembele for £5 million
Posted by: Cloudy, August 24, 2017, 3:48pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete
Good news for the lad and the club,

He will come back when we sell Dembele for £5 million

he will be back within the week then!!
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 24, 2017, 5:03pm; Reply: 8
I think we would all love to see a complete team made up of Grimsby/Cleethorpes youngsters, but any manager would not risk his job on even trying 1 or 2 as he knows its all about results today, not building a team for 5/6 years down the line. If we were prepared to give a manager a 5 year contract guaranteed not to be sacked then he could build a long term plan.
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, August 24, 2017, 5:11pm; Reply: 9
Brilliant news for Max and well deserved. Not before time either! Don't know what they'll make of his dad Dean's fur coat up in Scarborough though...
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 24, 2017, 6:18pm; Reply: 10
I'm not prepared to give someone that sort of security they could do exactly as they like and wouldn't have a fear of being sacked, they could as easily crush and ruin the club as they could build a solid foundation with great youth facilities and a team full of Grimsby lads!
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 24, 2017, 7:05pm; Reply: 11
Mariner 09, and that's the problem, I think a lot comes down to luck when building a team/ squad for the season, unless your top 6 in the premier, oh we need a fullback? Let's go buy one from Spurs for £52 million.
Posted by: lobsterpot, August 27, 2017, 3:53am; Reply: 12
Played alongside Michael Coulson today for Scarboro, scored, set 2 up and quite rightly got MOTM in a 4-0 away win at Clitheroe ;)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 27, 2017, 8:26am; Reply: 13
Quoted from lobsterpot
Played alongside Michael Coulson today for Scarboro, scored, set 2 up and quite rightly got MOTM in a 4-0 away win at Clitheroe ;)

Already known he can play at this level comfortably what we don't know is can he play at pro level ? We also are getting to know some of the present squad look short on quality at our level.  For me I'd  give Wright and Clifton a go in the first team and let them prove their worth, could it be any worse than it is now ?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 27, 2017, 11:11am; Reply: 14
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Already known he can play at this level comfortably what we don't know is can he play at pro level ? We also are getting to know some of the present squad look short on quality at our level.  For me I'd  give Wright and Clifton a go in the first team and let them prove their worth, could it be any worse than it is now ?

Totally agree, get them in the team for Tuesday and if not out of place give them a start on Sat
Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, August 27, 2017, 11:30am; Reply: 15
You can watch a clip of his goal from yesterday here:

https://youtu.be/_yjynAlEm6k
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 27, 2017, 11:37am; Reply: 16
Oh look another part time non league club massively outclassing us for production quality on match highlights (excellent performance from Wright - composure for his goal was great and his play to set up the second assist, superb!)

My sources tell me Clifton is due to get some match time versus Donny. He might even be starting against them.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 27, 2017, 2:26pm; Reply: 17
Great cross by Wrighty for the 4th goal. And by God does he look like his old man.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 27, 2017, 4:39pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Scarborough Seadog
You can watch a clip of his goal from yesterday here:

https://youtu.be/_yjynAlEm6k

Clitheroe's goalie is a big lad!
Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, August 27, 2017, 11:10pm; Reply: 19
https://soundcloud.com/scarborough-athletic/debutant-max-wright-after-scoring-against-clitheroe
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 27, 2017, 11:20pm; Reply: 20

Cheers, Scarbs. South Shields up next. They're a useful outfit looking at the way they disposed of Cleethorpes at Wembley.
Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, August 28, 2017, 11:32am; Reply: 21
Yeah, top of the table clash today! They reckon they will bring several hundred so should be close to a sell out at our new stadium.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 28, 2017, 3:43pm; Reply: 22
He's just been sent off for kicking the ball inyo the crowd. Maybe he would fit into the current team!
Posted by: Abdul19, August 28, 2017, 4:42pm; Reply: 23
*insert gtfc striker here* does that all the time!
Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, August 28, 2017, 5:26pm; Reply: 24
On 30 minutes, when we were already 2-1 down, he smacked the ball (after the whistle was blown) into the crowd, out of frustration, hitting a woman in the face and braking her glasses. Ref gave him a straight red. No alternative I suppose. The kid showed his immaturity there. Cost us any chance of getting back into the game and we went on to lose 3-1. From your point of view, hopefully he's learned his lesson. But he came to us for game time and now he'll face a ban for that straight red.
Posted by: chaos33, August 28, 2017, 5:43pm; Reply: 25
You couldn't make it up.
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 28, 2017, 5:46pm; Reply: 26
I blame Slade!!
Posted by: Bigboy, August 28, 2017, 8:22pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from chaos33
You couldn't make it up.

At first I seriously thought you were making it up.  Unbelievable.
Posted by: LH, August 28, 2017, 8:23pm; Reply: 28
Heard he chanted "Mariners!" as he defiantly marched off the pitch.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 28, 2017, 8:54pm; Reply: 29
Well that's a hell of a way to get into the first team!
Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, August 29, 2017, 1:58pm; Reply: 30
Footage of the incident (if you can't stomach 9 mins of step 4 non-league then skip to 4 mins 30)

https://youtu.be/K5xl5EqrBRM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 29, 2017, 8:11pm; Reply: 31
Thanks for posting Scarbs.

Just been reading your Wiki page. With the covenant on the old Scarborough FC ground, what became of it when the club folded?
Posted by: lukeo, August 29, 2017, 9:34pm; Reply: 32
Come on now, you made that sound terrible. I've just watched the footage, he kicked the ball away in anger (we've all done it) and as soon as he realised what had happened went to go apologise and then went back after he saw red.
Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, August 29, 2017, 9:37pm; Reply: 33
Scarborough Council bought the old McCain Stadium from the liquidators for a snip. They sold the two newest stands (which were behind each goal and seated about 1,500 each) to Featherstone Rovers Rugby Club who successfully managed to relocate them to their ground.

The rest of the old "Stadium of Chips" was demolished and the land was then sold to developers for housing & retail (they've already built a supermarket on it with houses to follow). In return the developers have built the new stadium/sports complex as part of the deal.

So Scarborough Athletic are now tenants in a Council owned stadium. To be honest the new stadium is small and lacks enough covered terracing, but we've been ground-sharing in Bridlington for the last 10 years so most Boro fans are just glad to be playing back in Scarborough. The upside is there is one decent seated stand and there is a lots of space down one side for a large covered terrace in the future. Eventually we hope to get the capacity up from 2,000 to something that would allow us back to Conference National level. As it stands the new ground would only allow us one promotion and then we'd need to upgrade to get in the Conference North.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 29, 2017, 9:40pm; Reply: 34
Scarborough Council bought the old McCain Stadium from the liquidators for a snip. They sold the two newest stands (which were behind each goal and seated about 1,500 each) to Featherstone Rovers Rugby Club who successfully managed to relocate them to their ground.

The rest of the old "Stadium of Chips" was demolished and the land was then sold to developers for housing & retail (they've already built a supermarket on it with houses to follow). In return the developers have built the new stadium/sports complex as part of the deal.

So Scarborough Athletic are now tenants in a Council owned stadium. To be honest the new stadium is small and lacks enough covered terracing, but we've been ground-sharing in Bridlington for the last 10 years so most Boro fans are just glad to be playing back in Scarborough. The upside is there is one decent seated stand and there is a lots of space down one side for a large covered terrace in the future. Eventually we hope to get the capacity up from 2,000 to something that would allow us back to Conference National level. As it stands the new ground would only allow us one promotion and then we'd need to upgrade to get in the Conference North.

So if I've read the Wiki page right, having refused the original proposal by SFC to sell the ground and build a new one on the grounds that there was a covenant in place that forbade anything but a sporting use of the land, the council then allow the land to be sold to developers anyway, having finally killed off the football club?
Posted by: chaos33, August 29, 2017, 9:41pm; Reply: 35
Was that a straight red?!? Really?
Posted by: mrsd, August 29, 2017, 9:45pm; Reply: 36
Since when has kicking the ball away been a red card offence ?
Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, August 29, 2017, 9:46pm; Reply: 37
Lukeo - To tell you the truth I wasn't at the game, just listening to it on the radio. And I agree with you.

When I eventually saw the footage I thought it was a really harsh sending off. It was a pretty silly thing for the lad to do, but I don't think you could class it as violent conduct because I'm sure he intended to hit the advertising boards and not a face in the crowd. South Shields manager said the ref "had no choice" but to send him off.

Everybody blaming Max for the loss but in reality South Shields have now won an incredible 43 of their last 44 games and are taking the lower leagues by storm (hot favourites to win the league) so draw your own conclusions.
Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, August 29, 2017, 10:16pm; Reply: 38
KingstonMariner - There was a lot of ill feeling towards Scarborough Borough Council about the whole thing. They blocked the proposals by the old club to sell the ground to developers and move to an out of town stadium (which was the only way of saving the club).

Then after we went bust they bought the old stadium at a snip from the liquidators (cheaply because it was basically worth nothing to anybody else due to having a sporting covenant on it that only they had the power to lift). Then they sold off the best two stands and left the place to go to rack and ruin. With no security in place the arsonists and vandals had a field day, see clip here:

https://youtu.be/sqYJHZiL0Nk

But I wouldn't say the Council killed the old club. Not by any stretch of the imagination. No, a succession of shyster owners were to blame for that. But when the Council had the chance to throw us a lifebelt as we drowned in debt they turned their back on the club and let it sink.

Now we're supposed to be grateful that we're tenants in a stadium with a quarter of the capacity of the old one.
Posted by: gtfc98, August 29, 2017, 10:19pm; Reply: 39
Seadog any idea how much you're paying Coulson? I know he's a local lad but that's quite a coup. Sure he could have easily found himself a conference club at the very least.
Posted by: Maringer, August 29, 2017, 10:20pm; Reply: 40
I seem to remember reading somewhere that South Shields have a wealthy somebody bankrolling the club? Quite possible that they are paying reasonable money to get players of a higher standard than you would usually expect at that level.
Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, August 29, 2017, 10:43pm; Reply: 41
GTFC - I could only guess on Coulson's wages. I can tell you that the club made a big effort to sign players with a local connection as we planned to move back home. We'd kind of lost the connection with the town a bit as a lot of our players were Hull based (which is why a rival club - Scarborough Town - was set up with largely local based players only). So when Coulson became available I'm sure we pushed the boat out to get him.

South Shields are the moneybags at the moment in the Northern Premier League. They had Julio Arca playing for them on Saturday. He's the Argentine that Peter Reid paid £3.5 million for at Sunderland. Still only 36 years old. Christ knows what they are paying him. They say football has gone mad in the top leagues but the same wages madness has filtered down the pyramid too.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 29, 2017, 10:51pm; Reply: 42
South Shields had a big (14-15,000?) following at Wembley. Presumably they can pull several hundred at home games at least. So probably a Conference North level budget, before any 'Sugar Daddy' chips in.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, August 29, 2017, 11:39pm; Reply: 43
All Sunderland & Newcastle fans who have jumped on the bandwagon, owned by a millionaire who claims the club is "self-sufficient" - Yet pay Arca 4 figures per week & a percentage of the gates.

Another sham of a club buying their success with absolutely no fans what-so-ever.

2-3 years ago they played in front of 32 fans. Where have these thousands suddenly come from...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 30, 2017, 1:29am; Reply: 44
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
All Sunderland & Newcastle fans who have jumped on the bandwagon, owned by a millionaire who claims the club is "self-sufficient" - Yet pay Arca 4 figures per week & a percentage of the gates.

Another sham of a club buying their success with absolutely no fans what-so-ever.

2-3 years ago they played in front of 32 fans. Where have these thousands suddenly come from...

Fed up with the Prem/Championship? You always get a bandwagon when you get to Wembley too. Cleethorpes normally play in front of no more than 200 but 4000 went to Wembley.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 30, 2017, 9:33am; Reply: 45
Can't help feel Wright got sent off due to the result of what happened after kicking the ball away as opposed to the act of kicking the ball away.
Posted by: lobsterpot, August 30, 2017, 3:35pm; Reply: 46
To be fair to Max you can see he didnt mean to hit the lass and the regret kicked in straight away. Positive for me was the way he took the ball down over his shoulder in 1 movement and he was off like a whippet! Shame it was deemed to have gone out of play. Max has since sent some flowers with an apology to the ladie concerned.
Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, September 2, 2017, 6:07pm; Reply: 47
Another great performance from Max today as he was named MOTM in our 1-0 FA Cup win against Workington.
Posted by: lobsterpot, September 3, 2017, 5:13am; Reply: 48
Another MOTM award for Max yesterday as he helped Scarborough to a 1-0 victory VS Workington

Also, his dad Dean has just done an interview with former loan club Sutton, giving a brief on Max's short history so far. An interesting, short piece of his ups and downs and well worth a quick read if you have a few minutes spare.......

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/suttoncoldfieldtownfc/news/max-wright-we-catch-up-with-a-former-royal-1957341.html#.Wat_31DrF6Y.link
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 3, 2017, 9:58am; Reply: 49
Thanks for that, it's a delightful read, here's hoping he has a great season for you!
Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, September 3, 2017, 12:54pm; Reply: 50
Interview with him after the game:

http://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/interview-with-boro-loan-star-max-wright-1-8734375

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 3, 2017, 1:36pm; Reply: 51
I watched max play as a kid a few times he was imo the second best kid in the town behind Clifton , having said that both were streets ahead of the all the others and in my opinion both should be in the first team squad now. I've questioned  certain coaches within our area some involved in pro football why their both not more involved and been told ' lightweight' ' lacks a bit of quality'  ' not better than we have'.  I disagree both of these lads would give us something a lot of present players seem slightly short of ... raw passion.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 3, 2017, 1:38pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from mrsd
Since when has kicking the ball away been a red card offence ?

Violent conduct probably...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 3, 2017, 3:01pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from lobsterpot
Another MOTM award for Max yesterday as he helped Scarborough to a 1-0 victory VS Workington

Also, his dad Dean has just done an interview with former loan club Sutton, giving a brief on Max's short history so far. An interesting, short piece of his ups and downs and well worth a quick read if you have a few minutes spare.......

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/suttoncoldfieldtownfc/news/max-wright-we-catch-up-with-a-former-royal-1957341.html#.Wat_31DrF6Y.link

Thanks for that. A good read and an insight.
Posted by: Sigone, September 20, 2017, 8:08am; Reply: 54
His latest goal was something special..with his left foot too.
Posted by: cannylad68, September 20, 2017, 8:22am; Reply: 55
Very interestingly a good friend of mine has moved from Market Rasen to Scarborough.
He rang me the other day purely for a general chat, giving me his new address etc.
He is a fan on non league football, being a season ticket holder at Gainsborough last season.
He is now a season ticket holder at Scarborough, and went on to say that they had a player who was well above Scarborough standard, very quick and skilful etc., and wouldn't be at Scarborough for long.
Rex Wright was his name. Eventually the penny dropped. Do you mean Max? not Rex.
Posted by: ScarboroughMariner, September 20, 2017, 8:23am; Reply: 56
Hi I'm a town fan living in Scarborough and have seen him play twice now and on both occasions man of the match and last nights goal was a worldy!!
I like him a lot, very quick, works hard and his decision making is spot on for a younger player, he looks a cut above at this level which is stronger than you might think.
On this evidence I would be surprised if he isn't in Towns squad next season, in an ideal world he gets Scarborough promoted this season then starts for Town next year.
Posted by: ScarboroughMariner, September 20, 2017, 8:48am; Reply: 57
https://www.facebook.com/scarboroughathletic/

goal on here
Posted by: moosey_club, September 20, 2017, 11:56am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Sigone
His latest goal was something special..with his left foot too.

Pretty sure he is left footed !!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, September 20, 2017, 1:02pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from moosey_club

Pretty sure he is left footed !!

I'm pretty sure he's right footed
Posted by: moosey_club, September 20, 2017, 1:06pm; Reply: 60

Well if he is...that would explain why he didnt put it  into the very top corner rather than almost in the top corner  :D
Posted by: grimps, September 20, 2017, 3:03pm; Reply: 61
KingstonMariner - There was a lot of ill feeling towards Scarborough Borough Council about the whole thing. They blocked the proposals by the old club to sell the ground to developers and move to an out of town stadium (which was the only way of saving the club).

Then after we went bust they bought the old stadium at a snip from the liquidators (cheaply because it was basically worth nothing to anybody else due to having a sporting covenant on it that only they had the power to lift). Then they sold off the best two stands and left the place to go to rack and ruin. With no security in place the arsonists and vandals had a field day, see clip here:

https://youtu.be/sqYJHZiL0Nk

But I wouldn't say the Council killed the old club. Not by any stretch of the imagination. No, a succession of shyster owners were to blame for that. But when the Council had the chance to throw us a lifebelt as we drowned in debt they turned their back on the club and let it sink.

Now we're supposed to be grateful that we're tenants in a stadium with a quarter of the capacity of the old one.

I went to the old Mcain stadium in the 80s to watch Grimsby , I can rememebr they still had a hole in the roof where a Wolves fan had fallen through the season before  :)
Posted by: Gaffer58, September 20, 2017, 4:12pm; Reply: 62
Both very good goals but, I gave told my grandma that she has to be on her toes a bit more so that she can at least make a dive!!!
Posted by: Grimal, September 20, 2017, 4:40pm; Reply: 63

I'm pretty sure he might be Ambipedal . ;)

Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, September 20, 2017, 11:48pm; Reply: 64
https://youtu.be/CxwIi7wnhRA

Fast-forward to 11 mins for Max's goal. He'd actually already been announced as man-of-the-match BEFORE he scored this goal!
Posted by: MarinerGaz, September 21, 2017, 5:00pm; Reply: 65
The goal beforehand ain't bad either!
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, September 21, 2017, 5:28pm; Reply: 66
Some not bad football played by Scarborough and got to say highlights where top class, I like the behind the goal angle as well

Posted by: chaos33, September 21, 2017, 7:14pm; Reply: 67
For me he's playing at too low a level. It would be better for his professional development if he were playing regularly in the conference, or at the very least, conference north.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 21, 2017, 8:53pm; Reply: 68
I'd kind of assumed they were in the conference north but I guess I forgot they got reformed.

So he's playing a level lower than he did last season, where's the logic in that?
Posted by: chaos33, September 21, 2017, 9:01pm; Reply: 69
Precisely. Beyond fitness advantages, I can't see what the loan is meant to do for him professionally and technically. Of course he's outstanding at that level.

For me, he should be somewhere like Gateshead or Halifax, playing with better, physically stronger players with less of an adaption gulf to L2. I don't get him being at Scarborough.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 21, 2017, 9:51pm; Reply: 70
Hopefully his good form will lead to a higher team taking him in January. Like you I see no point in him spending a full season 4 divisions lower.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, September 21, 2017, 10:17pm; Reply: 71
Can we even do that, I thought he went on a season long loan?
Posted by: Ahh Sole, September 21, 2017, 10:38pm; Reply: 72
Nice lad from a lovely family - hope he finds success.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 21, 2017, 11:07pm; Reply: 73
I guess RS still has contacts in Scarborough, which could have had some bearing on the loan, though i do agree that he should be playing slightly higher. I think our Scarborough fan on here said the level is better than some imagine , but it's still several steps down from league footy, so whether it's doing any good, i don't know.

Is it the equivalent of a young premier league pro playing at our level, ala the Everton kid last season?
Posted by: Mariner93er, September 21, 2017, 11:19pm; Reply: 74
It depends whether clubs from higher levels enquired a bout him. Is imagine we'd have wanted to send him out to as good of a club as possible.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 22, 2017, 4:08am; Reply: 75
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Can we even do that, I thought he went on a season long loan?

If there's a recall clause, yes.
Posted by: Ahh Sole, September 22, 2017, 6:56am; Reply: 76
Quoted from Abdul19

If there's a recall clause, yes.

I think there is a recall clause because it's a Youth loan.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 22, 2017, 8:59am; Reply: 77
Quoted from ginnywings
I guess RS still has contacts in Scarborough, which could have had some bearing on the loan, though i do agree that he should be playing slightly higher. I think our Scarborough fan on here said the level is better than some imagine , but it's still several steps down from league footy, so whether it's doing any good, i don't know.

Is it the equivalent of a young premier league pro playing at our level, ala the Everton kid last season?

Does that mean we could get Glen Downey back.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 22, 2017, 1:18pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from friskneymariner

Does that mean we could get Glen Downey back.

I'd rather eat my own poo than want Glen Downey back.

However I can rightly say I was at that infamous Wrexham game a few years ago.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 22, 2017, 1:24pm; Reply: 79
So was I bloody freezing New Years Eve.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 12:19am