Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 20, 2017, 6:31pm
Hi all

I'm wanting to canvass some opinion on a project I hope to start.

I intend to start running 'Football For All' sessions in Cleethorpes in the near future. My aim is to bring people together through the beautiful game and allow people to enjoy some fun and friendly football regardless of age, gender, race, nationality, religion or sexuality.

If I was to start a session in a local, easily accessible venue, how much interest would there be?

Hopefully if we get enough people we can look to organise some matches to raise funds for charity and other worthy causes.

Initial sessions won't cost anything as it'll probably be in a park, the only expense will be to myself buying a ball and possibly some bibs.

If anyone is interested in playing or getting involved in another way then please feel free to get in touch.

Thanks
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 20, 2017, 6:38pm; Reply: 1
A good idea, but would take an awful lot of planning. Insurance, legal clearance (working with children etc). Costs ( goals or hire of a pitch). That's just off the top of my head. Not being a party pooper, just unfortunately the realities of today.  Hope it goes well though as it is the sort of thing youngsters today could do with.

Good luck
Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 20, 2017, 6:49pm; Reply: 2
Thank you for your kind words, it sounds like a tall order admittedly but if it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

I'm willing to give up a good chunk of my spare time to make it work
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 20, 2017, 9:31pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from BarkerDan10
Hi all

I'm wanting to canvass some opinion on a project I hope to start.

I intend to start running 'Football For All' sessions in Cleethorpes in the near future. My aim is to bring people together through the beautiful game and allow people to enjoy some fun and friendly football regardless of age, gender, race, nationality, religion or sexuality.

If I was to start a session in a local, easily accessible venue, how much interest would there be?

Hopefully if we get enough people we can look to organise some matches to raise funds for charity and other worthy causes.

Initial sessions won't cost anything as it'll probably be in a park, the only expense will be to myself buying a ball and possibly some bibs.

If anyone is interested in playing or getting involved in another way then please feel free to get in touch.

Thanks

Why did you think it necessary to talk about gender, race,nationality, sexual orientation(!) or religion?

I cannot for the life of me think why you possibly link all that to a football coaching session.

Age groups are all that is required surely?

I admire you for giving up your spare time but it saddens me to think everything has to have this pc crap attached to it.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 20, 2017, 10:04pm; Reply: 4
Does his original post really need picking apart, he's trying to do something positive.
Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 20, 2017, 10:09pm; Reply: 5
It's not really coaching, it's designed to be a bit of fun and a social opportunity for people from different backgrounds to meet and have a bit of a kick about.
No hidden agendas, no brainwashing, no 'PC Crap' just using the game to help bring a community together.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 20, 2017, 10:10pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Mariner93er
Does his original post really need picking apart, he's trying to do something positive.

Not everything positive is good though is it?

Full marks for giving up his spare time as I said, but it is not good to reinforce this pc madness that has infected everything. Why should sexuality be mentioned, have you any idea? Or race? Or religion? It is a football kick about for God's sake.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 21, 2017, 3:28am; Reply: 7

Not everything positive is good though is it?

Full marks for giving up his spare time as I said, but it is not good to reinforce this pc madness that has infected everything. Why should sexuality be mentioned, have you any idea? Or race? Or religion? It is a football kick about for God's sake.

Jesus Christ! What frigging harm is it doing if he elaborates about football for all? It might actually do some good.
Posted by: LH, August 21, 2017, 4:24am; Reply: 8
This thread is evidence enough that you shouldn't invite any older people to it. That age group are so ungrateful.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 21, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 9
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Jesus Christ! What frigging harm is it doing if he elaborates about football for all? It might actually do some good.

Yes it might do some good. I love people doing good things. I am a very public spirited person myself, and have been since I was very young.

What I don't agree with is why the original poster has the mindset to bring religion, sexuality, race, gender,nationality into a perfectly innocent appeal to start a football kick about in the local park.I am intrigued as to why he thought it necessary at all. Is he just following a trend that those buzz words have to be included in every single thing we ever try to do? "Everyone welcome" would be a good catch all statement.

I suppose it is a comment on social attitudes today; I appreciate I will be out voted on things like this, but I like to voice my opinion on them nonetheless.  
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 21, 2017, 9:16am; Reply: 10
Quoted from LH
This thread is evidence enough that you shouldn't invite any older people to it. That age group are so ungrateful.

I am sure the Fishy will accept your resignation when you reach, what shall we say, 60?

Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 21, 2017, 1:32pm; Reply: 11
You're entitled to your opinion and I welcome your comments. It's a very divided world we live in today, all I'm trying to do is bring people together through the game of football and create an environment where people from different ethnicities, genders or sexualities can come and enjoy the game and feel safe from prejudice. If that's such a crime then please have me arrested.

Perhaps I'm doing it all wrong, maybe I should form White Males United and have done with it.

Regardless, you're very much welcome to join us once our sessions commence.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 21, 2017, 2:06pm; Reply: 12
Obviously did not watch the programme no boys or girls,from day one baby girls and boys treated differently.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 21, 2017, 2:08pm; Reply: 13
Don't worry some people are end the end of an evolutionary cul-de-sac.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 21, 2017, 2:12pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from BarkerDan10
You're entitled to your opinion and I welcome your comments. It's a very divided world we live in today, all I'm trying to do is bring people together through the game of football and create an environment where people from different ethnicities, genders or sexualities can come and enjoy the game and feel safe from prejudice. If that's such a crime then please have me arrested.

Perhaps I'm doing it all wrong, maybe I should form White Males United and have done with it.

Regardless, you're very much welcome to join us once our sessions commence.

I agree we all can have our own opinions, and as I have said it is good that you are taking the time and trouble trying to instigate something which is beneficial. Of course nobody will have any qualms about that.

Where we disagree is that in relation to a football kick about I don't think we are divided and are in need of feeling safe from prejudice.

I was born in a very different era and I appreciate it goes against the grain of todays world. We used to play with anyone who turned up at the local park. Young, old, good players and bad and it didn't matter one jot about anything else and I don't believe today's obsession with all the things you mentioned in your original post is making the situation any better.

That is all we disagree about, but I think your volunteering is very commendable.    
Posted by: Grimal, August 21, 2017, 2:24pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from LH

Sorry LH but don't agree with your old age statement, I'm 70 and play Walking football down Bradley at least 3 sessions a week and various tournaments across the country and I'm very grateful there are these type of activities for people around my age, there's proof that older people appreciate these facilities, just ask the 130+ members at our Walking football Club. Personally I think Dan perhaps worded it incorrectly and should have stated "everyone welcome". Anyway It's great to see a young person giving his time to other like minded people that offer to give something to the community. if his venture takes off I will show my support and attend sessions when possible.

Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 21, 2017, 2:28pm; Reply: 16
You'll even be allowed to run Al!!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 21, 2017, 2:37pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from friskneymariner
Obviously did not watch the programme no boys or girls,from day one baby girls and boys treated differently.

Your'e having a laugh surely!! Boys and girls treated differently? I wonder why that is?

You wont be happy till we are all gender neutral but despite the current fads I can confidently predict that boys and girls will always be different and will always be treated differently.
Posted by: Grimal, August 21, 2017, 2:38pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from BarkerDan10
You'll even be allowed to run Al!!

That's great then, I'll come to all your sessions. 70 yrs old and got pulled up 3 times in this mornings sessions for running. Not bothered though, it's good to know I can still run.  ;)

Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 21, 2017, 2:50pm; Reply: 19
Some harsh refereeing on show then Al, if I hadn't bee working this morning I'd have probably come down
Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 21, 2017, 4:58pm; Reply: 20
Quick update

If any fishy folk are part of the Twittersphere, FootballForAllGyClee now has its own profile, it can be found @GYCleeUnited

Please give it a follow as details of our sessions will be on there soon, hoping to have our first one within the next fortnight.

Everyone will be welcome once I have decided on a venue and hopefully the session will be free of charge.

Anyone wanting to get involved or potentially help out (if anyone could lend us a bit of equipment I'd be immensely grateful) please get in touch on here or Twitter.

Thanks
Dan
Posted by: Tommy, August 22, 2017, 12:47pm; Reply: 21
Any volunteering scheme to provide football for the community has to be applauded.

However, other football clubs/organisations in the area also accept people of all races/religions etc too.
Posted by: Reverendmariner, August 22, 2017, 12:57pm; Reply: 22
All good wishes for your plans Barker; Be careful what you wish for, however; at the current rate of progress many of our First Team will be looking for a game locally before too long......
Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 24, 2017, 7:00pm; Reply: 23
//Update Klaxon//

Grimsby & Cleethorpes United are proud to announce that Football For All will kick off its inaugural session this coming Wednesday (August 30th) at Clee Fields commencing at 7pm.

The aim of Football For All is to promote equality, social inclusion and wellbeing throughout our local community using the medium of the Beautiful Game.

The sessions will be FREE of charge, all you need to bring is yourself, your boots and a drink.

A massive thank you must go to Dave Mann and Ken Vincent from Cleethorpes Town FC for loaning us some equipment to help us with the initial launch of the project.

I hope to see plenty of Fishy folk to lend some support, everyone is most welcome.

Thanks
Dan Barker

Find us on Twitter @GYCleeUnited and also on Facebook.

#OneGameOneCommunity
Posted by: Grim74, August 24, 2017, 7:21pm; Reply: 24
I thought football was for all! Last time I looked out the window we wasn't living in the Islamic state, not yet anyway, drop the 'for all' otherwise you may as well call it virtue signalling in the community kick about.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 24, 2017, 7:45pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Grim74
I thought football was for all! Last time I looked out the window we wasn't living in the Islamic state, not yet anyway, drop the 'for all' otherwise you may as well call it virtue signalling in the community kick about.

Equality and social inclusion?! For a kick about. Give me strength. I am off for a beer with my neanderthal mates before anybody asks.  
Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 24, 2017, 8:59pm; Reply: 26
Presume you're not coming then...
Posted by: Mariner_501, August 24, 2017, 9:29pm; Reply: 27
Never have I known somebody turned away from a kick about in the park due to their race lol

Still, it's a game of footy organised for people, which can only be a good thing.
Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 24, 2017, 9:31pm; Reply: 28
7pm at Clee Fields on Wednesday if you fancy joining us.
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 25, 2017, 11:24am; Reply: 29
Imagine you have just moved to the area,

You are muslim with a son and a daughter who both like playing football.  You see Dans advert and realise it is nice to know they would both be welcome. Maybe you have a son or daughter that is quite shy but likes playing football. You see Dans advert a realise they will be both sex's of absolute mixed standards.  How nice would that be.

I think it's great Dan and hope it is a roaring success.

And to the idiots that think that's Dans advert is insulting.  GET A FKING LIFE
Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 25, 2017, 6:33pm; Reply: 30
Thank you for your kind words civvy, really means a lot to hear some positive feedback.

All I want to do is help spread some community spirit through something we all enjoy.

Everyone is most welcome and I already have had some interest from people of varying age ranges.

Hoping to get some support from the Trust soon as well.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 25, 2017, 8:00pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Civvy at last
Imagine you have just moved to the area,

You are muslim with a son and a daughter who both like playing football.  You see Dans advert and realise it is nice to know they would both be welcome. Maybe you have a son or daughter that is quite shy but likes playing football. You see Dans advert a realise they will be both sex's of absolute mixed standards.  How nice would that be.

I think it's great Dan and hope it is a roaring success.

And to the idiots that think that's Dans advert is insulting.  GET A FKING LIFE

Those idiots that think Dans advert is insulting also hope it is a roaring success. I just happen to think by wording the advert as he did it is just reinforcing the unnecessary baggage that goes with it. "All welcome" would have covered it. No point of having a forum if you cannot post unpopular views just as I welcome your reply.
Posted by: Teestogreen, August 25, 2017, 8:40pm; Reply: 32
Bit of  A giggle this - when I was young, me and like minded young people i.e. 9-13 years old organised our own football, because we were keen and  enthusiastic and wanted to do this (no adults involved whatsoever). Those that wanted to and were able, came. Nobody was excluded.

The opportunity to join a local club was when you were around 16 years old and older. By this time, the genuine enthusiastic ones forced their way in to the thinking for selection for a local team in a local league (run by adults).

If people are enthusiastic enough - they don't need this 'herding' - it's soft - let them organise themselves, and, if they feel strongly enough about it, will continue to play football.

Ultimately, the desire to play football has to come from within.  

UTM
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 25, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 33

Those idiots that think Dans advert is insulting also hope it is a roaring success. I just happen to think by wording the advert as he did it is just reinforcing the unnecessary baggage that goes with it. "All welcome" would have covered it. No point of having a forum if you cannot post unpopular views just as I welcome your reply.

I have a 17 year old son. 10 years ago If I had a daughter it would never have occurred to m to have taken her to a kick about. If I saw an advert like Dans it would have given me a nudge. Now if that makes me a sexist, or a knuckledragger or whatever then so be it.

One of my pet hates is 'only on the fishy' or 'only in Grimsby' etc etc. I have travelled extensively and there are a lot worse places in the U.K. believe me. But one thing I have to say, racism is stronger round here than in a lot of places. Dans advert IMHO let's people who may be unsure know that they are welcome.

It shouldn't be required to expand on who is welcome.  In today's world all welcome should mean exactly that.  But unfortunately in some areas round here I do believe it is required. Dan is trying to do a great job, and for people to pick him up on small details I find irritating. Why anybody should be offended by his wording is beyond me.
This is my last post on this as it is in danger of getting hijacked and shouldn't be so.  Let's just move on.
Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 26, 2017, 10:07pm; Reply: 34
Hopefully either you/your son/both of you will join us on Wednesday civvy
Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 30, 2017, 11:51am; Reply: 35
Hi all

Just a quick reminder that Football For All kicks off at 7pm tonight down at Clee Fields.

Just bring yourself, your boots and a drink.

Remember it's completely FREE to attend.

Hope to see a few of you there, everyone most welcome
Posted by: MarinerWY, August 30, 2017, 8:01pm; Reply: 36
Dan I think you are doing something fantastic. There is a very succesful Football For All in Leeds and whilst the incredulous numpties on here may think there are no barriers for women, disabled people, LGBTQ people or people who feel they haven't much sporting ability to get involved with a sport perceived as aggressively macho and unforgivingly competitive, these barriers absolutely exist.

I don't attend the Football For All in Leeds as I play Leeds Sunday League; which is competitive and comes with Sunday league culture. I'm ok with that. But I'm glad there's places where those who want a safe and more relaxed environment can also play football.
Posted by: BarkerDan10, August 30, 2017, 10:05pm; Reply: 37
Thank you for your kind words, I follow Yorkshire St. Pauli who organise the Football For All on Twitter and that is where I got the inspiration from.

Our first session tonight only saw us attract three people to us which was unfortunate but as they say Rome wasn't built in a day.

We go again at 6pm next TUESDAY back at Clee Fields.

Once again the session will be FREE, just bring yourself, your boots and a drink.

Hope to see plenty of you there next week.

Follow us on Twitter @GYCleeUnited for news and updates.
Posted by: Grimal, August 30, 2017, 11:56pm; Reply: 38
I thought the 1-a-side worked quite well Dan but the ref was a bit biased,I think you must have slipped him a tenner,Anyway,with the wet grass it's cleaned the soles of my boots and they are white again now after turning black from the rubber granules on the astro turf down Bradley. Can't imagine why people didn't come down just to give it a try, Plenty complain there's nowt to do in this area and when someone goes out of their way to try and change that people don't bother giving it a go. Good on you for trying mate..
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 9:37pm