Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, August 19, 2017, 9:50pm
by the last couple of performances by Town.  The reality is that we did not strengthen our team at all in the summer months, all we did was bide our time to see which dregs were still floating about without a club, and then offered them a deal, predominantly because no other clubs came in for them.  You certainly get what you pay for in players and managers alike, and a season of consolidation / survival awaits us.  Very early days , and I certainly back the managers fully, I somehow don't so much blame the management team, as much as the Board by the complete lack of backing the managers seem to have had in the transfer market.  That said, Slade does need to get some better style of play going in the next few games if possible.  We have relatively poor players at the club now, one thing is for sure, they all need to give 100% every game, because what they clearly lack in ability, they need to make up for in effort.  A long season ahead, and a tough one me thinks.

UTM
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 19, 2017, 10:52pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
by the last couple of performances by Town.  The reality is that we did not strengthen our team at all in the summer months, all we did was bide our time to see which dregs were still floating about without a club, and then offered them a deal, predominantly because no other clubs came in for them.  You certainly get what you pay for in players and managers alike, and a season of consolidation / survival awaits us.  Very early days , and I certainly back the managers fully, I somehow don't so much blame the management team, as much as the Board by the complete lack of backing the managers seem to have had in the transfer market.  That said, Slade does need to get some better style of play going in the next few games if possible.  We have relatively poor players at the club now, one thing is for sure, they all need to give 100% every game, because what they clearly lack in ability, they need to make up for in effort.  A long season ahead, and a tough one me thinks.

UTM

Shame they didn't give 100% today.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 19, 2017, 11:22pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from TheCodfather1966

UTM

The board appear to have short-changed the manager. God forbid we get involved in another relegation situation as I don't see the fans forgiving the club another stint in the National League.
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, August 19, 2017, 11:33pm; Reply: 3
I totally agree, our support is amazing and 100% loyal, but if we do have a season of bobbing about near the bottom of the table our support will suffer badly at home, and I too don,t think we could survive another spell in the non-league whilst still being a full time professional club.  We need some new blood on the Board that is more forward thinking, sadly there are not many people out there to take the step.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 19, 2017, 11:34pm; Reply: 4
I honestly don't think he's been short changed, he signed 10 new players and got all the backroom staff the last two managers were practically begging for.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 19, 2017, 11:39pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I honestly don't think he's been short changed, he signed 10 new players and got all the backroom staff the last two managers were practically begging for.

He could sign 100 new players but beyond Dembele, do you see anyone that has improved us? Clarke & Dixon are worse than Pearson & Andrew, Kelly is worse than Berrett & Summerfield, Hooper is worse than Yussuf.
Posted by: livosnose, August 19, 2017, 11:44pm; Reply: 6
Think Dixon could come good although no Danny Andrew . Clarke is total dog crap
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 20, 2017, 12:11am; Reply: 7
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He could sign 100 new players but beyond Dembele, do you see anyone that has improved us? Clarke & Dixon are worse than Pearson & Andrew, Kelly is worse than Berrett & Summerfield, Hooper is worse than Yussuf.

I don't think he has improved the squad, but the manager signs the players not the board so how exactly does that mean he's been short changed. Slade decided he wanted Hooper rather than Yussef, Slade decided he wanted Rose rather than Disley etc.

I don't imagine Clarke, Hooper, Kelly or Dixon were bargain bucket wage wise either.

Posted by: arryarryarry, August 20, 2017, 1:05am; Reply: 8
Quoted from livosnose
Think Dixon could come good although no Danny Andrew . Clarke is total dog crap

I hope Dixon can come good but that is 2 games where he has looked cack.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 20, 2017, 7:12am; Reply: 9
Totally agree, today showed you how much gambling on trialists and signing some have to say very poor players works out in an away trip to a half decent league two team and how no commitment no passion and limited football ability is the end product of our summer recruitment.

Was this season meant to be our big push on this league ? If that excrement today was just that then god help us.
Posted by: Davec, August 20, 2017, 7:14am; Reply: 10
Several of our players signed for us after successful trials, you got to wonder why they didn't find a club before the need to come on trial? You can get the odd trialist who come good players but signing several of them after trials is quite concerning.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 20, 2017, 8:08am; Reply: 11
Something is not right with Jones and we all know what it is surely Wilco can see he is a out and out striker similar to himself.

If so keep banging it home to Slade we have players that are more suitable and capable wide who have pace and skill to get around the back of defences but Jones is so wasted in that role.

Yeah Jones as not done himself any favours getting red carded but unless you want a team of frustrated resentful players you need to start to build a team spirit and stop playing players out of position.

I really hope we don't see a repeat of the last time Slade was here against Lincoln when the half time talk was out on the pitch to the amusement of the imp fans but carry on in this vain and it's coming.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, August 20, 2017, 8:09am; Reply: 12
Look at Mansfield who signed loads of players early doors for fees ect. They have 1 more point than us, the thing is it's early doors and while the last two performances have been shite it's not just us who have underperformed.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 20, 2017, 8:41am; Reply: 13
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Look at Mansfield who signed loads of players early doors for fees ect. They have 1 more point than us, the thing is it's early doors and while the last two performances have been shite it's not just us who have underperformed.

I don't give a shite about Mansfield. I give a shite about signing journeyman triallists who don't seem to give a shite about us.
Posted by: Quagmire, August 20, 2017, 8:41am; Reply: 14
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner

Have we underperformed or have we merely performed to the standard / ability / level of the players signed in the summer?

No side who claim to be targeting a top 7 finish sign a genuine / quality number 9 a week into the season after a trial who is described, to a man on the forums of his previous club, as lazy and a waste of space.

We seem to have only signed 3 players that we targeted in the summer, the rest are the waifs and strays that no other teams want to take a punt on.
Posted by: Grim74, August 20, 2017, 8:54am; Reply: 15
The problem is the dregs that the Codfather mentions is our level unfortunately based mainly on location and budget, we have always relied upon finding the best mananager to get the best out of them, but this is no excuse for yesterday's performance based on the reports, they are still professionals at the end of the day.
Posted by: golfer, August 20, 2017, 8:55am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Davec
Several of our players signed for us after successful trials, you got to wonder why they didn't find a club before the need to come on trial? You can get the odd trialist who come good players but signing several of them after trials is quite concerning.

Don't we have a scouting system -don't we know what other players are like-you can watch past games off the internet to see if there are any good players about.  Trials used to be for up and coming youngsters not for journeymen How can you see if a 30 year old is any good from a trial . Nearly all Slades signings are trialists or from his past where they were perhaps ok.  Get the bike out and get scouting
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, August 20, 2017, 9:24am; Reply: 17
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don't give a shite about Mansfield. I give a shite about signing journeyman triallists who don't seem to give a shite about us.

I don't care for any club except gtfc, and I agree with not signing journeyman. Trust me it drunk me of and frustrates the intercourse out of me when I see them not trying. I was just giving an example that it was early days yet and while it isn't the best start we need to stick together. The players that don't want to be here or don't try will soon feel the mariners fans on there backs.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, August 20, 2017, 9:27am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Quagmire

Have we underperformed or have we merely performed to the standard / ability / level of the players signed in the summer?

No side who claim to be targeting a top 7 finish sign a genuine / quality number 9 a week into the season after a trial who is described, to a man on the forums of his previous club, as lazy and a waste of space.

We seem to have only signed 3 players that we targeted in the summer, the rest are the waifs and strays that no other teams want to take a punt on.

We have signed some good players in dembele and rose in my opinion, Kelly, hopper and dixon not too sure of I would of only gave these 1 year deals anyway instead of 2. Let's not forget we are missing asante up top as well as Clements and Osbourne who I think will be in the starting 11 as well as McAllister.
Posted by: rancido, August 20, 2017, 10:33am; Reply: 19
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Exactly - and these are SLADE'S signings and I've seen very little that gives me much confidence for the future. Slade allowed dedicated ( but in his eyes inferior players) to leave and they have been replaced by nothing better and lacking any loyalty to the club. For all his faults MB saw the limitations of Summerfield and sent him out on loan and the best he could attract was non-league Macclesfield. Slade obviously rates him and one wonders why?
Slade trains the team, he picks the players he needs for a game and he tells them how he wants them to play. The buck stops with him. I've always been an exponent of the belief that when the players step onto the pitch then it is down o them. But they do need to be capable,have a proper game plan and be played in their correct positions.  After yesterday debacle he thinks they have all been " very naughty boys " and he wants them in for detention today! I wonder how long it  will take until we reach the situation , in true schoolteacher fashion, that he isn't happy after the first half and keeps the players on the pitch in their " playtime".
This is getting too much like AB Mk3 and that is in know way being disrespectful to Sir Alan. He was the most successful manager I have ever witnessed at BP with 4 promotions and a cup win under his belt. When he returned for the third time the game seemed to have passed him by and although I don't think he would have got us relegated , I don't think he would have got us to progress much either. RS hasn't even had those kind of successes under his belt and I certainly wouldn't put money on us avoiding relegation under his tenure. Unfortunately JF has dug a difficult hole for himself by sacking MB and getting RS in straight away. He will have to give RS until at least Christmas and appraise the situation then but we could be in for a long ,frustrating season and certainly a nervous period until we have achieved that magical figure of 50 points.
Posted by: Grimal, August 20, 2017, 11:06am; Reply: 20
I'm not going to slate any of the players by name that we have at Town but I attended all pre-season games except the couple in Devon and I have to say I can't understand why RS signed certain players he has when I personally thought he would have signed Jay Rollins, he showed desire and quality for a young lad and wasn't afraid to run at defences, scaring the shite out of them, I know league defenders are of more quality but It still opens up opportunities. Also I would be giving Karleigh Osborne game time, another young lad that showed real promise at Winterton.  I would much sooner sign these sort of players rather than journeymen looking for a last payday.
Early days but needs sorting sooner rather than later.
Posted by: AndyGTFC, August 20, 2017, 11:51am; Reply: 21
I think we struggled to attract players, whether that be down to location or money. Trialists are trialists for a reason most of the time. Dembele was the exception.

To be honest I'm sick of having a new team to get used to already and think we've made mistakes that we got away with in League Two last year.  We up with a squad none of the fans is attached to and we know half of then will be gone come May. Not a way to build a team.
Posted by: oldun, August 20, 2017, 12:12pm; Reply: 22
most of these signings are on 2 year contracts probably as the only reason they would come here. That tells us all we need to know. so better get used to them I suppose
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 20, 2017, 12:21pm; Reply: 23
It's only 3 games in. Surely these players need to be given a bit more time. It's not a good sign to be subbed after 45 minutes of your debut, but he will know improvement is needed now.
I actually think Clarke and Dixon will be really good signings. My worry with Dixon was that his legs had gone, but he's been pretty decent getting up and down. He has some real quality and will surprise a few doubters.

There's no doubt that we've been bargain shopping, but that is how Slade operates and the weak budget from the club.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2017, 12:28pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Grimal
I'm not going to slate any of the players by name that we have at Town but I attended all pre-season games except the couple in Devon and I have to say I can't understand why RS signed certain players he has when I personally thought he would have signed Jay Rollins, he showed desire and quality for a young lad and wasn't afraid to run at defences, scaring the shite out of them, I know league defenders are of more quality but It still opens up opportunities. Also I would be giving Karleigh Osborne game time, another young lad that showed real promise at Winterton.  I would much sooner sign these sort of players rather than journeymen looking for a last payday.
Early days but needs sorting sooner rather than later.

I think they are pretty much all journeymen at this level these days to be honest, I do agree though the amount of players who are playing for Town now and this could be their last full time club is a worry. The fact that we had so many "experienced" players out there yesterday but still couldn't get any form of foothold in the game really worries me.  
Posted by: moosey_club, August 20, 2017, 1:22pm; Reply: 25
We have suffered from injuries in key areas, two strikers from last season out injured, midfielders injured or unavailable for compassionate reasons, suspensions on top of that....arguably Slade hasnt had what may well be the first 11 available to him as yet,  we have played two teams that were in League 1 last season and in Stevenage they were in good form for a large part of the end of last season.
We now have , in just 12 months,  a merger of 3 managers players in the squad....

Did we seriously think that we would start the season flying with all the above ?

Having said that i am not convinced Slade has used what he is currently able to pick from in the best way.

Last time with Slade we struggled at the seasons start under his preferred system....which all changed when we played Derby in the cup and he switched formation for that game.......roll on Tuesday !!
Posted by: 137 (Guest), August 20, 2017, 1:26pm; Reply: 26
One thing we could do to get real effort on the pitch is give some of our youngsters a bit of playing time.

I guess Danny North was the last 'home-grown' player to get a sustained run in the first team. That was a while back....  :-/
Posted by: ginnywings, August 20, 2017, 1:32pm; Reply: 27
Last season, we won the first game and promptly lost the next three. Much derision on here at the time, but then, as now, you can't judge a season on three games.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 20, 2017, 1:37pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from ginnywings
Last season, we won the first game and promptly lost the next three. Much derision on here at the time, but then, as now, you can't judge a season on three games.

At the beginning of last season, our manager's stated aim was survival. Our current manager has promised an attempt at play-offs.

I've always been told to under-promise and over-deliver.
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 20, 2017, 3:03pm; Reply: 29
Compare us to Accrington, yesterday they got 1600, we would expect to have 3 times that, as the TVs money is the same for both clubs then we should have a bigger budget and in theory attract better players (managers opinion) but even now I will predict they will finish when above us.
Posted by: devs, August 20, 2017, 3:17pm; Reply: 30
For various reasons yesterday was first time I have seen 'new look' GTFC
For various reasons I was not impressed

We looked lumbering, one paced, one dimensional and lacking in any sort of nous, vision and craft

Please can someone explain the logic of lumping the ball to a centre forward who doesn't jump (Hooper) and a 5ft 6in winger (Dembele) who needs the ball in space (he was our one bright spark I feel and did pretty well feeding of the crap he was given)

Has previously stated is Clarke a better looking athlete/player than Pearson? He looked overweight to me??
Are Rose and Summerfield better than Disley? You will simply not challenge pay offs with that uninspiring centre midfield
Is Hooper a better option than Yussuf?

The regression since Hurst left the cub has been alarming IMO - we no longer look organised, don't seem to have a style (other than aimless punts) and the lack of spirit is worrying

Hooper and Kelly were anonymous - total passengers - so how can you hope to worry the opposition (who were not that great but didn't have to be)

Pleased I've got a season ticket as it will force me to go - not sure I could turn upon on the day to watch that style

I think the whole day was flat - there wasn't even that much anger from fans at the end from what was a woeful display

Underwhelming afternoon and it is quite hard to see (with these players and formation) how it can be improved

Usually you can walk away from a match (even if you lose) and have something to look back on that gives hope and optimism... not yesterday though

Lets's hope it's a bad day at the office, the players take a long hard look at themselves, and it is a case of things needing to gel... if not it could be a very long season
Posted by: ginnywings, August 20, 2017, 3:51pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from devs
For various reasons yesterday was first time I have seen 'new look' GTFC
For various reasons I was not impressed

We looked lumbering, one paced, one dimensional and lacking in any sort of nous, vision and craft

Please can someone explain the logic of lumping the ball to a centre forward who doesn't jump (Hooper) and a 5ft 6in winger (Dembele) who needs the ball in space (he was our one bright spark I feel and did pretty well feeding of the crap he was given)

Has previously stated is Clarke a better looking athlete/player than Pearson? He looked overweight to me??
Are Rose and Summerfield better than Disley? You will simply not challenge pay offs with that uninspiring centre midfield
Is Hooper a better option than Yussuf?

The regression since Hurst left the cub has been alarming IMO - we no longer look organised, don't seem to have a style (other than aimless punts) and the lack of spirit is worrying

Hooper and Kelly were anonymous - total passengers - so how can you hope to worry the opposition (who were not that great but didn't have to be)

Pleased I've got a season ticket as it will force me to go - not sure I could turn upon on the day to watch that style

I think the whole day was flat - there wasn't even that much anger from fans at the end from what was a woeful display

Underwhelming afternoon and it is quite hard to see (with these players and formation) how it can be improved

Usually you can walk away from a match (even if you lose) and have something to look back on that gives hope and optimism... not yesterday though

Lets's hope it's a bad day at the office, the players take a long hard look at themselves, and it is a case of things needing to gel... if not it could be a very long season

I've currently been thinking the opposite.
Posted by: devs, August 20, 2017, 3:53pm; Reply: 32
I see what you are saying!
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 21, 2017, 7:01am; Reply: 33
The decision to let Pearson go was bizzare even if we intended to retain him just as a squad player given the ages of Clarke and Collins it would be nailed on a 3rd centre back would get plenty of game time over a Season.Pearson would have been the first name on my team sheet but we move on and I await a change of style or some new players to suit this long ball BS.
Posted by: rancido, August 21, 2017, 2:32pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from moosey_club
We have suffered from injuries in key areas, two strikers from last season out injured, midfielders injured or unavailable for compassionate reasons, suspensions on top of that....arguably Slade hasnt had what may well be the first 11 available to him as yet,  we have played two teams that were in League 1 last season and in Stevenage they were in good form for a large part of the end of last season.
We now have , in just 12 months,  a merger of 3 managers players in the squad....

Did we seriously think that we would start the season flying with all the above ?

Having said that i am not convinced Slade has used what he is currently able to pick from in the best way.

Last time with Slade we struggled at the seasons start under his preferred system....which all changed when we played Derby in the cup and he switched formation for that game.......roll on Tuesday !!

Straws, clutching at, springs to mind !!
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 21, 2017, 2:38pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from moosey_club

I didn't as I mentioned before the season started I had doubts about the two centre backs.

However I would have expected three of the new signings which I assume are first choice players, Hooper, Kelly and Dixon to look far better than they did on Saturday.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 21, 2017, 2:39pm; Reply: 36
Admire your attempt at a positive spin,but even the happiest clapper is waking up to reality.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 21, 2017, 4:20pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from friskneymariner
Admire your attempt at a positive spin,but even the happiest clapper is waking up to reality.

From the happiest clapper to the gloomiest doom merchant, it's surely sensible to watch a few games before declaring impending relegation. That said, we don't appear to have improved our squad in the slightest - the only positive being Dembele.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 21, 2017, 4:24pm; Reply: 38
Not declaring impending relegation but saying Slade is no better nor worse than Bignot.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 21, 2017, 4:38pm; Reply: 39
Not declaring impending relegation but saying Slade is no better nor worse than Bignot.

Possibly. But you are left with the feeling that Bignot was spending money like a kid in a sweet shop and Slade has been left with the loose change.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 21, 2017, 4:52pm; Reply: 40
Always felt Slade was only appointed,

a) he was available,

b) Fenty knew he could control him,

Not really reasons for appointing a manager,

We don't what went on to lead to Bignot's sacking but we beat Carlisle,Plymouth and Blackpool away, and had some abysmal performances as well.
Posted by: Garth, August 21, 2017, 5:06pm; Reply: 41
Bignot`s biggest failure for me was the signing of Gunning, Slade`s achilles heel could be Hooper and Kelly
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 21, 2017, 5:24pm; Reply: 42
Not the signing but the constant playing. Think Slade has inherited a shed load of poor players he is stuck with,too early to judge Hooper or Kelly but hope you are nor right we are carrying too many passengers.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 21, 2017, 5:30pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Possibly. But you are left with the feeling that Bignot was spending money like a kid in a sweet shop and Slade has been left with the loose change.

Lots more staff and a bigger squad, I can't see how that equals spare change.
Posted by: Maringer, August 21, 2017, 5:37pm; Reply: 44
The surprising thing so far this season (first game aside) is that we don't appear to be very well-organised.

This was something we complained about under Bignot where the players clearly didn't have the foggiest what they should be doing much of the time but, when Slade replaced him last season, the team at least began to show a bit more nouse here and there in the remaining games.

It seems this has all gone out the window upon first contact with the enemy, so to speak. Very peculiar, especially after the strong start at Chesterfield and decent pre-season performances in the friendlies.

Can't help but wonder if Slade's game plan depended on a particular couple of players who he didn't manage to sign and we ended up with makeweights to fill up the gaps in the squad.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 21, 2017, 5:44pm; Reply: 45

Lots more staff and a bigger squad, I can't see how that equals spare change.

Bigger squad? Not sure of the numbers. Better quality? Questionable. More staff? We're not non-league any more.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 21, 2017, 5:55pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Bigger squad? Not sure of the numbers. Better quality? Questionable. More staff? We're not non-league any more.

How does any of what you are saying relate to Slade has a smaller or more constrained budget because Bignot 'supposedly' spent all the money?

More players and more staff suggests the opposite, especially given the fact that there have been multiple multi year contracts to players coming down a level.

It looks like he's been backed reasonably to me, if the quality isn't there it's not because Bignot spent all the money.
Posted by: denni266, August 21, 2017, 6:52pm; Reply: 47
I dont think money has a lot to do with our situation,, its prob just a fact that good players that Slade wanted  did not want to come here ,, back of beyond  and bottom division and all that,, so we end up with what is availabe and cant get a contract else where
Posted by: rancido, August 21, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 48
Not the signing but the constant playing. Think Slade has inherited a shed load of poor players he is stuck with,too early to judge Hooper or Kelly but hope you are nor right we are carrying too many passengers.

But he has signed 10 new players, which is more than enough to replace the poor players he inherited.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 21, 2017, 8:44pm; Reply: 49
Mostly other teams cast offs.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 21, 2017, 8:54pm; Reply: 50
Near enough every player we have bought in were not offered a contract at there previous club..

I know turnover is high and I know players move on but I don't think we have signed a player were he turned down a new deal to come to us , I know we might not have the big bucks and some might use the old chestnut about location but I get the feeling we ain't really bought any one in apart from dembele who a club in our league would particularly want.
Posted by: Garth, August 22, 2017, 11:34am; Reply: 51
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Near enough every player we have bought in were not offered a contract at there previous club..

I know turnover is high and I know players move on but I don't think we have signed a player were he turned down a new deal to come to us , I know we might not have the big bucks and some might use the old chestnut about location but I get the feeling we ain't really bought any one in apart from dembele who a club in our league would particularly want.

Harsh words, but so true
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 22, 2017, 11:52am; Reply: 52
Mostly other teams cast offs.

If they aren't that good, why sign them?

We have lost a couple of very good players that RS clearly didn't want to keep and both of them would have done a far better job than a couple of the clowns on Saturday.
Posted by: chaos33, August 22, 2017, 12:58pm; Reply: 53
Which two are these?
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 22, 2017, 12:59pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from chaos33
Which two are these?

My guess would be he's talking about Disley  and Pearson, but I stand to be corrected.
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 22, 2017, 1:02pm; Reply: 55
Andrew is a loss but we wanted to keep him and was clearly far too good for this level and Clarke doesn't look a sutiable replacement for Pearson.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 22, 2017, 1:12pm; Reply: 56

My guess would be he's talking about Disley  and Pearson, but I stand to be corrected.

Correct, after watching Clarke's display on Saturday he is not a patch on Pearson.

As for Disley, I felt his best was behind him and it was probably right he moved on but after witnessing a dreadful performance by Kelly and Rose I would still have him in the team.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 22, 2017, 1:14pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from arryarryarry

Correct, after watching Clarke's display on Saturday he is not a patch on Pearson.

As for Disley, I felt his best was behind him and it was probably right he moved on but after witnessing a dreadful performance by Kelly and Rose I would still have him in the team.

Clarke was excellent at Chesterfield.

Disley's days have gone, struggling for form in Conference North.

Still think we will be fine and finish top 10. The league is inconsistent, not just us.  Hope i am right ;)
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 22, 2017, 1:21pm; Reply: 58
People need to realise that Disley and Pearson are not Town players now.  It's pointless bringing them up on almost every post, they were both only wanted by non-league clubs and that's where they chose to go.  Three games in and 'doom and gloom' already, typical of some Fishy posters!
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 22, 2017, 1:34pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from 123614
People need to realise that Disley and Pearson are not Town players now.  It's pointless bringing them up on almost every post, they were both only wanted by non-league clubs and that's where they chose to go.  Three games in and 'doom and gloom' already, typical of some Fishy posters!

You obviously didn't go to Stevenage then?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 22, 2017, 2:38pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Mariner_09
Andrew is a loss but we wanted to keep him and was clearly far too good for this level and Clarke doesn't look a sutiable replacement for Pearson.

Strange how your assessment of Danny Andrew has changed!
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 22, 2017, 2:46pm; Reply: 61
Yes, I admit that he was better than I first assessed. Would have him over Dixon any day
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 22, 2017, 3:19pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Mariner_09
Yes, I admit that he was better than I first assessed. Would have him over Dixon any day

Give Dixon chance to settle in. He looked good at Chesterfield but obviously we have got 4th division full backs so it is no good expecting miracles.  
Posted by: cannylad68, August 22, 2017, 4:01pm; Reply: 63
I'm not so sure location is the problem.

I'm going back a few years, but good players came here who were not cast offs.
I'm convinced that decent offers to these sort of players would get them here.

It's obvious to me that the current board are not ambitious.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 22, 2017, 4:21pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from cannylad68
I'm not so sure location is the problem.

I'm going back a few years, but good players came here who were not cast offs.
I'm convinced that decent offers to these sort of players would get them here.

It's obvious to me that the current board are not ambitious.

I'm told location is a problem - I don't necessarily see it either. I don't think the board lack ambition, I think that the board don't want to increase the club's debt by increasing the playing budget. Whether you agree or disagree is your choice.
Posted by: MarinerRob, August 22, 2017, 6:52pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm told location is a problem - I don't necessarily see it either. I don't think the board lack ambition, I think that the board don't want to increase the club's debt by increasing the playing budget. Whether you agree or disagree is your choice.

I think as much as we want to have better players it's important that we live within our means. That's the problem the country has with the National Debt going up month after month which in itself means more interest to pay so less money to spend without borrowing more - and then again and again increasing the debt and interest to pay.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 22, 2017, 7:25pm; Reply: 66
We can moan about players all day, we were warned about Kelly and Hooper but the happy clappers weren't willing to listen. But Slade is the issue.

I wasn't happy when Slade was appointed, I just thought back to the hoof ball, his near suicide of our promotion push in the 2nd half of the season with his insistance to play his  Christmas signing. But then I was willing to give him a chance, first time round we were his 1st League club he then went on to manage some big name clubs. Maybe his tactics had changed, maybe he had learn't something managing in the Championship, his contacts had to of gotten better.

Sadley no. We have returned to hoof football this time to a loan striker who except for in the first half of the Chesterfield match has had zero support (not that it would of mattered at all with Hooper up front), or to our tiny pacey winger who is just muscled out of postion or beaten to the header (No real fault of Demebeles). Its simple, if he wants to persist with hoof ball he needs to play 2 up top. If he wants to play with 1 up front then he needs to play the ball on the deck and pass it round quickly either playing it to foot or into space for our wippet winger to run onto.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 23, 2017, 12:26am; Reply: 67
Quoted from 123614

I have no problem with a new manager coming in and making his choice of the players he wants to keep and those he doesn't want, the point is if said manager releases players and then replaces them with players that are not as good.

That will be what sees RS either make a go of it here or JF sees that it isn't working then it is bye bye Sladey.
Posted by: chaos33, August 23, 2017, 9:06am; Reply: 68
Quoted from Mariner_09

Clarke has made some errors, but he has played hundreds of games at a higher level than Pearson will ever play. I loved Shaun Pearson, but Clarke is a class above his level, even if he isn't showing that in some respects. Meanwhile, Pearson is playing for a middling conference team in the prime of his career.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 24, 2017, 11:21am; Reply: 69
We can moan about players all day, we were warned about Kelly and Hooper but the happy clappers weren't willing to listen. But Slade is the issue.

I wasn't happy when Slade was appointed, I just thought back to the hoof ball, his near suicide of our promotion push in the 2nd half of the season with his insistance to play his  Christmas signing. But then I was willing to give him a chance, first time round we were his 1st League club he then went on to manage some big name clubs. Maybe his tactics had changed, maybe he had learn't something managing in the Championship, his contacts had to of gotten better.

Sadley no. We have returned to hoof football this time to a loan striker who except for in the first half of the Chesterfield match has had zero support (not that it would of mattered at all with Hooper up front), or to our tiny pacey winger who is just muscled out of postion or beaten to the header (No real fault of Demebeles). Its simple, if he wants to persist with hoof ball he needs to play 2 up top. If he wants to play with 1 up front then he needs to play the ball on the deck and pass it round quickly either playing it to foot or into space for our wippet winger to run onto.

Thought we played some decent football on Tuesday night and certainly didnt recognise the permanent hoofball  that some wish to pin on us. Still if it suits your agenda keep peddling!!
Posted by: rancido, August 24, 2017, 7:14pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from chaos33

Clarke has made some errors, but he has played hundreds of games at a higher level than Pearson will ever play. I loved Shaun Pearson, but Clarke is a class above his level, even if he isn't showing that in some respects. Meanwhile, Pearson is playing for a middling conference team in the prime of his career.

I take your point but Clarke is past his prime and regardless of how many games he has played at a higher level, that means nothing when you see how he is playing now. Pearson showed improvements every season he was with us and would certainly have benefited from another season alongside Collins.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 24, 2017, 8:37pm; Reply: 71
Too early to tell with Clarke he could turn out like Collins and prove he has a bit left in the tank or he could turn out like Paul Raven or Steve Chettle both experienced centre backs who proved far past their best when signing for us. We will wait and see which it is to be.

Whichever it is given our defences ages I imagine it's a short term fix and there is likely to be a big turnover again next year.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 3:25pm