Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 19, 2017, 5:50pm
Stood at work bored, and it came to  my mind that Stevenage away was one of the games that is used as an example in criticising bignots reign. I didn't go then and I didn't go today, but I was wondering how today's performance compared to to last seasons, and if this team looked any better than last seasons.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 19, 2017, 5:53pm; Reply: 1
I should add, I only ask the question because bignots teams were said to be pretty clueless, but in reality did today's team, under a vastly more experienced manager, looknon more clued up?
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 19, 2017, 5:55pm; Reply: 2
No! We were as terrible as we were at any stage under Bignot.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 19, 2017, 7:19pm; Reply: 3
Far worse than last season.
Posted by: codcheeky, August 19, 2017, 7:28pm; Reply: 4
Very very poor today, don't mind losing but that was dispiriting
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 19, 2017, 10:50pm; Reply: 5
I want to at least see some fight, we never had poor discipline or folded embarrassingly like that under Hurst. Even when we were 3-0 down at Colchester it finished 3-2. Shaun Pearson and Craig Disley were playing, true fighters who cared!
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 20, 2017, 1:15am; Reply: 6
I do fear that Slade has become set in his ways, failing to adapt as football has evolved over the last 10 years.
Posted by: Davec, August 20, 2017, 7:11am; Reply: 7
Several of our players signed for us after successful trials, you got to wonder why they didn't find a club before the need to come on trial? You can get the odd trialist who come good players but signing several of them after trials is quite concerning.
Posted by: Davec, August 20, 2017, 7:12am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Davec
Several of our players signed for us after successful trials, you got to wonder why they didn't find a club before the need to come on trial? You can get the odd trialist who come good players but signing several of them after trials is quite concerning.

Wrong thread sorry ;D
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 20, 2017, 9:38am; Reply: 9
Needs to get the players feeling better about themselves and each other this will only come in time.

One thing Hursts long reign did here was establish a great team spirit perhaps the best since the Buckley era.

All I see now is a team of individuals short on ideas and confidence suppose we may have to settle for a survival season not really "The next level" I as expecting.

After last seasons mid table finish I was hoping we would push on.

Still very early days yet but the signs not looking good I will always back GTFC 100% even if I vent my feelings on here.  

Already sorted my plans out for Mansfield UTM
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 20, 2017, 9:50am; Reply: 10
Hurst had a policy to try and sign players who had proven themselves capable of getting promoted from the conference. He did it several times, that IMHO contributed to the positive atmosphere, because we were signing 'winners' at that level. Consistently winning breeds confidence and individuals bring that with them.

Not sure what happened to that policy last year but we signed three players who had been relegated the prior season in Berret, Summerfield and Chambers. Now we've added to that with four more players who had recently been relegated, Clarke, Hooper, Kelly and Dixon. We've got a lot of players who have been conditioned to losing games consistently in the recent past.  That mentally is bound to have an effect when things aren't going well.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 20, 2017, 9:54am; Reply: 11
Just read through there forum. They say we were shocking, they wont have an easier game this season and we will struggle. Ffs slade sort it out
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 20, 2017, 10:52am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Mariner_09
I want to at least see some fight, we never had poor discipline or folded embarrassingly like that under Hurst. Even when we were 3-0 down at Colchester it finished 3-2. Shaun Pearson and Craig Disley were playing, true fighters who cared!

Erm, Halifax away, poor discipline from at least one player and the manager, but we had been spoilt :P
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2017, 10:56am; Reply: 13
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm, Halifax away, poor discipline from at least one player and the manager, but we had been spoilt :P

How did we get poor discipline from the manager, I can't remember that.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 20, 2017, 11:04am; Reply: 14
Did not want to start a new thread but Toto gave 2 pens away and Shrews still won 3-2.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2017, 11:13am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Hurst had a policy to try and sign players who had proven themselves capable of getting promoted from the conference. He did it several times, that IMHO contributed to the positive atmosphere, because we were signing 'winners' at that level. Consistently winning breeds confidence and individuals bring that with them.

Not sure what happened to that policy last year but we signed three players who had been relegated the prior season in Berret, Summerfield and Chambers. Now we've added to that with four more players who had recently been relegated, Clarke, Hooper, Kelly and Dixon. We've got a lot of players who have been conditioned to losing games consistently in the recent past.  That mentally is bound to have an effect when things aren't going well.

I kind of see what your saying, not sure it's a mind set thing but usually when teams get relegated its down to the players not being good enough or a lack of desire, yesterday even at this early stage I sensed both about us which is of real concern.

Re the stewards, totally over the top. When my 21 year old daughter was searched she was asked if she was wearing an under wire bra??? What would have happened if she had said yes would they have confiscated it or refused her entry. They don't even ask that on air lines.

What also p1ssed me off was just near the end when the stewards climbed over the barrier onto the bit behind the goal if they had done that during the game it would have saved so many confrontations with Town fans just behind the goal.

Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 10:22am