Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 19, 2017, 5:05pm
To the pub.

Not sure where to start, an absolutely disgraceful performance, gross treatment of the fans by the stewards as well.

Hooper was a flipping joke, as was his other Port Vale counterpart. Not even sure where to start with everybody else, a circus from front to back.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 19, 2017, 5:15pm; Reply: 1
Showing our intent on that top seven finish .

Trash today.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 19, 2017, 5:17pm; Reply: 2
And that 4-1-4-1 slade sticks with drives me mad ...

It is negative and doesn't work.
Posted by: oldun, August 19, 2017, 5:23pm; Reply: 3
Sam Jones sending off confirms to me that something is wrong with the lad. Apart from his goal on opening day he has not looked right through pre-season and now in league games. Body language not right.
Posted by: barralad, August 19, 2017, 5:24pm; Reply: 4
If last week's criticism of the team was harsh they deserve everything coming their way after a performance devoid of guile, tactical nous, and I'm afraid to say effort in too many individuals to single out. The first half was truly shocking. The only tactic seemed to be to whack it up field to the smallest man on the pitch-Dembele. Hooper was statuesque. I don't recall him jumping once or for that matter moving either with or without the ball. Far too many passes were played square across the back or backwards.
Town may have had a shout for the fumbled Summerfield free kick having crossed the line. It will be interesting to see that later.
Second half saw a bit of an improvement with Bolly and Cardwell at least trying to stretch their defence. Dembele fizzed one wide from a really difficult angle as Town got on top. Somehow the lino missed a blatant hand ball for a nailed on penalty and within a couple of minutes Town were down to 10 after  Jones was seen by the same temporarily blinded earlier lino apparently commiting GBH on a defender for a straight red. Game over then with a third conceded and a Collins back header as compensation. Loads of very unhappy Mariners. Those critical of Slade's appointment gaining momentum.
No-one really shone for Town although Macca made a good save or two and Bolarinwa caused problems with direct running. Stevenage weren't great but miles better than us.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 19, 2017, 5:25pm; Reply: 5
Being played on the wing doesn't help the lad ..

He isn't a winger but that doesn't excuse his red card today.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, August 19, 2017, 5:26pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from oldun
Sam Jones sending off confirms to me that something is wrong with the lad. Apart from his goal on opening day he has not looked right through pre-season and now in league games. Body language not right.

He's supposed to be a goalscorer but the position Slade plays him means he wont get many chances. If his place in the team depends on his goals he will soon be dropped

Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 19, 2017, 5:28pm; Reply: 7
Is it just me or has Slade turned ultra negative since his first stint with us ?

I know he liked the long ball before but he plays 4-5-1 now and I'm sure he played with two strikers before and pacy wingers..

Jesus his past managerial jobs have scarred him for life as he now plays 1 striker and no wingers.
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 19, 2017, 5:33pm; Reply: 8
Stevenage where by no means a top 7 side but we stood off them and let them play, Stevenage are a competent team and took the freedom of the pitch we gave them with both hands. Summerfield should not be anywhere near the first team after backing off and turning his back for the Stevenage player to hit a quality but ultimately a free shot.
Posted by: stevethefish, August 19, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 9
On the train back to kings cross.

Oh dear. Not good.

3 sendings off in 3 games. Hmm
Posted by: Civvy at last, August 19, 2017, 5:43pm; Reply: 10
A bloke on the radio saying Town fans threw their shirts on the pitch.
Any truth in this ??
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 19, 2017, 5:44pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Marinerz93
Stevenage where by no means a top 7 side but we stood off them and let them play, Stevenage are a competent team and took the freedom of the pitch we gave them with both hands. Summerfield should not be anywhere near the first team after backing off and turning his back for the Stevenage player to hit a quality but ultimately a free shot.

Neither should Rose who was just as crap. As for Hooper, words fail me, utter garbage.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 19, 2017, 5:44pm; Reply: 12
What has Clements done to slade if Summerfield is in the squad ahead of him. I know he's not at full fitness, but McAllister is managing to get on the bench and he must be fitter than him.
Posted by: stevethefish, August 19, 2017, 5:47pm; Reply: 13
I saw one away shirt thrown on the pitch after final whistle
Posted by: Andy, August 19, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Is it just me or has Slade turned ultra negative since his first stint with us ?

I know he liked the long ball before but he plays 4-5-1 now and I'm sure he played with two strikers before and pacy wingers..

Jesus his past managerial jobs have scarred him for life as he now plays 1 striker and no wingers.

I thought with Kelly, Bolly and Jaiyesimi Slade would actually play with width (as opposed to playing players out of position/square pegs/round holes - something we've seen a lot of in previous seasons) how wrong I was!

Posted by: Mariner_09, August 19, 2017, 5:54pm; Reply: 15
Summerfield was our best player today, by some distance In my opinion. Dixon and Rose were absolutely dire. Clarke looks an awful lot worse than Shaun Pearson. I'm sorry Danny Andrew, I now appreciate how good you were compared with this dross that Dixon has given us. I know we have the same number of points as this stage last season but we played 1000 times better at Wycombe and at Colchester in the 2nd half than we have done in the last 2 games. Meanwhile, Hurst's Shrewsbury have a 100% record. Hooper and Cardwell offered absolutely nothing but the service was non existent. Kelly offered as much. Dembele showed some nice touches but he can't play everyone by himself. Collins was our best defender by a considerable margin and I'd say we badly missed Vernon's nous. We need to improve rapidly otherwise we'll be in a relegation battle!
Posted by: Sussexmariner, August 19, 2017, 6:01pm; Reply: 16
On the train home to Sussex,

Hooper, possibly THE worst debut from a Town player, as someone on here has said he literally did not jump for a single ball played to him, at least Cardwell chased down defenders and gave 100% when he was on. The lad JJ showed more attacking intent in the couple of touches he had than Kelly and Hooper had together in 45 minutes he must start next match, put Dembele behind the front man.

Never in a million years did I think we could be as bad as last season, I was wrong!
Posted by: OllieGTFC, August 19, 2017, 6:06pm; Reply: 17
Just listened to sladey interview he is fumming with the players and rightly so, they now have to go into training tomorrow
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 19, 2017, 6:10pm; Reply: 18
Whether it showed today but Matt Dean on the radio said just after kickoff that Slade had told him "when we have the ball its 433, when we haven't its 4141" good job he didn't let that tactical snippet out before kickoff otherwise Stevanage would have soused us out!!!  Also if Hooper is so rubbish why have we got him, he must have impressed someone, somewhere?
Posted by: oldun, August 19, 2017, 6:16pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Just listened to sladey interview he is fumming with the players and rightly so, they now have to go into training tomorrow

It's punishment time already eh? He picked the team, he decided the formation, he and his team of helpers prepared them so I hope he and the rest of the management are in tomorrow as well. There is such a thing as collective responsibility. He can stop them giving interviews to the press as well as I am already fed up of them telling how fired up they are and preparing well for the next game. Clearly they just trot out meaningless drivel to satisfy the reporter. Actions speak louder than words. As for the indiscipline, 3 red cards in 3 games, when did that last happen. Sort it.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 19, 2017, 6:40pm; Reply: 20
In the living room for once as I was too embarrassed to go to the pub in my Town shirt..........Where to start?  .

The keeper - Some argument whether he could have done better for the 3rd but overall I thought the defenders let him down.

The defenders - Poor, very poor IMHO and as well as poor defending showed no composure on the ball and totally missed out the mid field opting to punt it long, Dixon, Collins and Clarke have the head but struggled with the legs and Mills looks the shadow of the player PH threw in at Cambridge last season, his decision making and positional play needs real work..

Center Mid - What center mid? Summerfield tries hard but is not good enough and though a bit early to tell Rose appears to go missing for periods of the game. Though it has to be noted when people punt the ball past you and don't move into space when you have it there's not much you can do. Though I still think both where poor today.

Wide  players - Dembelle, the only one who appeared to want to play football and work hard off the ball.Kelly? All I can say is If I was Bolarinwa I would be well p1ssed off at being left out instead of Kelly as I can't wee what he adds.

Jones - appeared to try hard but should have been more savvy for the sending off as some players will always going to go down like a flayed stag when they have the opportunity.

Hopper - First impressions? Lazy tw@t who appears to be carrying a bit of timber too.

Subs - Cardwell even at this early stage looks like he would benefit from a loan spell and Tombola did not get enough of the ball to make a difference.

The manager - I get 4 -1 -4 -1 away from home but the tactic of "pump it long to Dembelle" is not good enough and he must do better. I also question some of today's selection as above and why the f5$k he did not give McAlister some game time when you could see Rose and Summerfield where making little difference I'll never know, Just listened to the RH post match and he told Matt Dean that the players are in tomorrow, well that's one thing he got right today if nothing else..

The ref - poor, not sure about the sending off  but the player appeared to get back up quickly after "such a hard blow" from Jones or whether the ball was over their line in the first half off but he missed a stone wall penalty just before the sending off and appeared to be very liniment on some of their reckless challenges. .

In summary - We did not pass the ball at all, too many players hid when we went behind and we have a massive problem in center mid and up front. We lacked energy, cohesion and any care on the ball.

Bad day at the office? Yes absolutely but it's the 2nd "bad day" in a row, if all involved do not lift their game it could quite easily turn into a "bad week" which might well leave us looking over our shoulder at another non league trap door.    
Posted by: Hertsmariner, August 19, 2017, 6:41pm; Reply: 21
I don't usually comment immediately after a game, preferring instead to 'sleep on it' and collect my thoughts. However, today, I feel compelled to make an exception.
THAT was a complete waste of my time. Town were out-thought, out-muscled and 'out' just about everything else too. Spineless, gutless and on and on. Vale fans were right about Kelly (who I said lacked 'conviction' even at Chesterfield) and Hooper and both richly deserved to be substituted at half-time. At least Bolarinwa and Cardwell have some 'heart' and the young Canary should also start for me.  He has imagination and skill second only to Dembele.
I have a ticket and a hotel booking for Tuesday night, but really wish I hadn't bothered. Shocking, shocking, shocking.
Posted by: rancido, August 19, 2017, 7:03pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Gaffer58
Whether it showed today but Matt Dean on the radio said just after kickoff that Slade had told him "when we have the ball its 433, when we haven't its 4141" good job he didn't let that tactical snippet out before kickoff otherwise Stevanage would have soused us out!!!  Also if Hooper is so rubbish why have we got him, he must have impressed someone, somewhere?

Maybe he has a good agent ;)
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 19, 2017, 7:13pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Which Just Back thread is the real one?

So just back in the living room for once as I was too embarrassed to go to the pub in my Town shirt..........Where to start?  .

The keeper - Some argument whether he could have done better for the 3rd but overall I thought the defenders let him down.

The defenders - Poor, very poor IMHO and as well as poor defending showed no composure on the ball and totally missed out the mid field opting to punt it long, Dixon, Collins and Clarke have the head but struggled with the legs and Mills looks the shadow of the player PH threw in at Cambridge last season, his decision making and positional play needs real work..

Center Mid - What center mid? Summerfield tries hard but is not good enough and though a bit early to tell Rose appears to go missing for periods of the game. Though it has to be noted when people punt the ball past you and don't move into space when you have it there's not much you can do. Though I still think both where poor today.

Wide  players - Dembelle, the only one who appeared to want to play football and work hard off the ball.Kelly? All I can say is If I was Bolarinwa I would be well p1ssed off at being left out instead of Kelly as I can't wee what he adds.

Jones - appeared to try hard but should have been more savvy for the sending off as some players will always going to go down like a flayed stag when they have the opportunity.

Hopper - First impressions? Lazy tw@t who appears to be carrying a bit of timber too.

Subs - Cardwell even at this early stage looks like he would benefit from a loan spell and Tombola did not get enough of the ball to make a difference.

The manager - I get 4 -1 -4 -1 away from home but the tactic of "pump it long to Dembelle" is not good enough and he must do better. I also question some of today's selection as above and why the f5$k he did not give McAlister some game time when you could see Rose and Summerfield where making little difference I'll never know, Just listened to the RH post match and he told Matt Dean that the players are in tomorrow, well that's one thing he got right today if nothing else..

The ref - poor, not sure about the sending off  but the player appeared to get back up quickly after "such a hard blow" from Jones or whether the ball was over their line in the first half off but he missed a stone wall penalty just before the sending off and appeared to be very liniment on some of their reckless challenges. .

In summary - We did not pass the ball at all, too many players hid when we went behind and we have a massive problem in center mid and up front. We lacked energy, cohesion and any care on the ball.

Bad day at the office? Yes absolutely but it's the 2nd "bad day" in a row, if all involved do not lift their game it could quite easily turn into a "bad week" which might well leave us looking over our shoulder at another non league trap door.    

Agree with most of that, except the bit about Cardwell, can't blame him for the excrement hoofballs tactics, at least he tried whereas Hooper just looked a lazy twit
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 19, 2017, 7:26pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from arryarryarry

Agree with most of that, except the bit about Cardwell, can't blame him for the excrement hoofballs tactics, at least he tried whereas Hooper just looked a lazy twit

Not sure I did blame him but you are right, my point about him being loaned is that he won't develop in such a sh1t set up as we have seen in the last couple of games., he has a good attitude and will do better if we ever get the ball to his feet.
Posted by: newarkmariner, August 19, 2017, 7:33pm; Reply: 25
all ive got to say about today is that I'm very very very worried,ggrrrrrrrrr
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 19, 2017, 7:54pm; Reply: 26
Been back in London for a while. Having a pint of hophouse 13 in the punch and Judy pub in Covent Garden.

I think the performance of the match overall has been pretty covered by most on here. My quarm at the mo is how their player on a yellow never got a second.

Anywho I didn't go last season as I had a hernia op. But read all post and tweets about stewards and organisation as such and took things with a pinch of salt.

But I'd love to know of the performance of the stewards were as bad today as they were last season? I haven't seen such a shambles ever except dartford.

Maybe a complaint from Mr. Fenty is in order?
Posted by: mariner91, August 19, 2017, 8:47pm; Reply: 27
I hate going to Stevenage. Crap ground for a crap club in a crap location with a crap away stand and crap organisation and crap stewarding, crap atmosphere from both sets of fans. They're usually a bit crap too but we are absolutely dreadful every time we play there. All in all, it's got to be the worst away day in the league.

We were awful today, no bones about it. I don't understand the tactics, if there are any, that seem to be lump it towards Dembele. He's a good player but will never win a header because he's so small. We pass the ball around the back slowly for 30 seconds, there's no movements or channel runs or anything and that we get an aimless hoof forward. It's dire. We looked a bit better for ten minutes in the second half before Jones got sent off but down to ten and that was it, game over.

There was a lack of fight throughout the team and nobody seemed to take charge which is really concerning. The defence looked slow and ponderous and I'd be bringing Osborne into the back four next game. I also think we need to sign another left back because Dixon has looked dodgy twice now and we can't rely on him being our only option there.

The midfield was crap once again. Rose is slow and ponderous on the ball, some of his passing was embarrassing. Summerfield, as we all know, tries hard but isn't good enough. There were a few times today when they walked through our midfield with ease, the gaps were huge and that's a really worrying development that needs seeing to.

Kelly is useless. He was the only disappointment against Chesterfield and he was absolutely shite today. Looks a complete coward, unwilling to run at his man. Within the first five minutes he got the ball in a good position and instead of running at and engaging the centre back he just dribbled out of play. And it was downhill from there. Tombola at least tries things and isn't afraid to have a go at his man, if he starts behind Kelly again I'll be livid.

Hooper made possibly the worst full debut I've ever seen. Didn't jump once to try and head it, didn't move at all looking to find space either in the channel or coming deeper. Genuinely did nothing, I'd be surprised if he broke a sweat. It was his full debut and he put in a performance that had him deservedly taken off at half time which is shocking. Particularly when you consider his previous club were seriously questioning his attitude and application, you'd expect him to go out and at least put in some token effort but nothing. The service to him was bad but it was for Cardwell as well but at least he tried and put the defenders under pressure.

Didn't see the sending off offence but we need to get Jones further forward and closer to the lone striker. He's clearly not happy. Had a couple of driving runs at their defence but if we want to get the best out of him we need to change the system. We also need to do something going forward. I don't even mind long ball as long as there's movement in, around and beyond the target (e.g Gary Jones) or balls for a runner into the channels (e.g Michael Reddy). As it is, teams can get two defensive lines sorted safe in the knowledge that we won't make any sort of movement to try and pull them about. Then a token amount of pressure on the centre backs sees us lump it forward and give them possession back. Far too easy to play against.

Early days yet but that was seriously worrying. Lack of fight, lack of leadership and lack of direction. I thought Bignot was useless but that was as bad as anything we had under him. We've got some players to come back who should improve us but unless we improve or change the gameplan then we're still going to seriously struggle and we'll end up in a relegation battle. Sort it Slade.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 19, 2017, 9:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from mariner91
I hate going to Stevenage. Crap ground for a crap club in a crap location with a crap away stand and crap organisation and crap stewarding, crap atmosphere from both sets of fans. They're usually a bit crap too but we are absolutely dreadful every time we play there. All in all, it's got to be the worst away day in the league.

We were awful today, no bones about it. I don't understand the tactics, if there are any, that seem to be lump it towards Dembele. He's a good player but will never win a header because he's so small. We pass the ball around the back slowly for 30 seconds, there's no movements or channel runs or anything and that we get an aimless hoof forward. It's dire. We looked a bit better for ten minutes in the second half before Jones got sent off but down to ten and that was it, game over.

There was a lack of fight throughout the team and nobody seemed to take charge which is really concerning. The defence looked slow and ponderous and I'd be bringing Osborne into the back four next game. I also think we need to sign another left back because Dixon has looked dodgy twice now and we can't rely on him being our only option there.

The midfield was crap once again. Rose is slow and ponderous on the ball, some of his passing was embarrassing. Summerfield, as we all know, tries hard but isn't good enough. There were a few times today when they walked through our midfield with ease, the gaps were huge and that's a really worrying development that needs seeing to.

Kelly is useless. He was the only disappointment against Chesterfield and he was absolutely shite today. Looks a complete coward, unwilling to run at his man. Within the first five minutes he got the ball in a good position and instead of running at and engaging the centre back he just dribbled out of play. And it was downhill from there. Tombola at least tries things and isn't afraid to have a go at his man, if he starts behind Kelly again I'll be livid.

Hooper made possibly the worst full debut I've ever seen. Didn't jump once to try and head it, didn't move at all looking to find space either in the channel or coming deeper. Genuinely did nothing, I'd be surprised if he broke a sweat. It was his full debut and he put in a performance that had him deservedly taken off at half time which is shocking. Particularly when you consider his previous club were seriously questioning his attitude and application, you'd expect him to go out and at least put in some token effort but nothing. The service to him was bad but it was for Cardwell as well but at least he tried and put the defenders under pressure.

Didn't see the sending off offence but we need to get Jones further forward and closer to the lone striker. He's clearly not happy. Had a couple of driving runs at their defence but if we want to get the best out of him we need to change the system. We also need to do something going forward. I don't even mind long ball as long as there's movement in, around and beyond the target (e.g Gary Jones) or balls for a runner into the channels (e.g Michael Reddy). As it is, teams can get two defensive lines sorted safe in the knowledge that we won't make any sort of movement to try and pull them about. Then a token amount of pressure on the centre backs sees us lump it forward and give them possession back. Far too easy to play against.

Early days yet but that was seriously worrying. Lack of fight, lack of leadership and lack of direction. I thought Bignot was useless but that was as bad as anything we had under him. We've got some players to come back who should improve us but unless we improve or change the gameplan then we're still going to seriously struggle and we'll end up in a relegation battle. Sort it Slade.

Bang on!
Posted by: GrimRob, August 19, 2017, 9:30pm; Reply: 29
After 3 games it's time for Plan B. Very disappointing to have another player sent off (although I never saw it so the incident so can't comment). I think we've lost more players this season than last and it's still light leaving the ground! The only consolation is we were just as bad there last year.
Posted by: lukeo, August 19, 2017, 9:51pm; Reply: 30
Just back home, what a joke.

1st half.. Embarrassing. Nothing going forward and although I don't boo myself, it didn't surprise me some did. Summerfield the only player that half that looked interested. The two ex port Vale lads, well.. The striker didn't seem interested in hasting the back four, I can't remember even seeing him jump for a header let alone win one.

2nd half for the 10 minutes we had 11 men we actually looked like we wanted to play and created some half decent chances, I may be wrong but didn't we go 442?.. The 'handball' for me, I was right in line with it, the players arms where right by his side, not hanging out. So for me I wouldn't have given it. Can't comment on anything after that, little lad was fed up and not very well (sick on the way home) so we left just as town got the constellation goal.

May sound harsh but Macca didn't attempt to save any of the shots, I haven't seen it on tv yet but I swear the 3rd one landed in the middle of the goal almost and wasn't even as good as people reckoned in the stand. As for the first and second, at least attempt to fling yours across the goal. I can't say they're his fault as the defending for all three was terrible.
Posted by: GrimRob, August 19, 2017, 10:00pm; Reply: 31
Did the ball cross the line when the score was 0-0. My gut reaction from the other end of the ground was it did. I still think so!

[img]https://image.ibb.co/mW5Tgk/20170819001.jpg[/img]

https://twitter.com/TheFishyGTFC/status/899012973733261313
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, August 19, 2017, 10:13pm; Reply: 32
Also worryingly does Slade have a Plan B??
Posted by: sam gy, August 19, 2017, 10:45pm; Reply: 33
Two bad performances (and one really good one) do not a season make.
Posted by: lukeo, August 19, 2017, 10:49pm; Reply: 34
when you spend £50 on tickets, £40 on fuel, £186 for legoland and a hotel In which I only did to blag the Mrs to go to Stevenage then you have a right to moan when their was nothing. No effort or tactical nuece. For 13 minutes before Jones was sent off it was OK. We got it out wide a couple times and tried to get the ball in the box. Like I've said to the Mrs, if we tried hard and put effort in and lose to a better team 3 1, we wil be gutted but won't complain.
Posted by: mariner91, August 19, 2017, 10:51pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from sam gy
Two bad performances (and one really good one) do not a season make.

It was the manner of the performance. The lack of effort from some players was appalling. The clearly pish poor plan A and apparent lack of a plan B was also what is causing the concern.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 19, 2017, 10:54pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from lukeo
when you spend £50 on tickets, £40 on fuel, £186 for legoland and a hotel In which I only did to blag the Mrs to go to Stevenage then you have a right to moan when their was nothing. No effort or tactical nuece. For 13 minutes before Jones was sent off it was OK. We got it out wide a couple times and tried to get the ball in the box. Like I've said to the Mrs, if we tried hard and put effort in and lose to a better team 3 1, we wil be gutted but won't complain.

£40 on  fuel I know you live in the West Country but didn't know you drove a Bentley. I feel your pain mate especially when we lose at home.
Posted by: lukeo, August 19, 2017, 10:55pm; Reply: 37
I've included the fuel to legoland and the lake we went to this morning because if the game wasn't on we'd not have done of that  :P
Posted by: sydney, August 20, 2017, 12:35am; Reply: 38
That was Woeful
Nothing good to say about it and ref was as bad
We need you to turn this around slade as I ain't trailing rd bloody Bromley Woking etc again
And Just really really think about how bad we where today before u post " it's only three games in"
I've never heard such a large proportion of the fans boo at half time

Kelly
Dixon
Hooper
Sam Jones ( for some reason)
Just don't look interested at all
Mills (often our best player) looks pi@@ed off with it all
Rose and Summerfield  do at least try but just aren't  good enough
Center Backs solid but slow
Dembele off today and head seemed to go down quickly
The whole things feels underwhelming
Come on Town sort this
Posted by: stevethefish, August 20, 2017, 8:56am; Reply: 39
Having had the benefit of a nights sleep. My assessment was;

McKeown - very annoying lack of effort for 3rd goal
Dixon - wasn't as bad as others saying IMO. Made a couple of good runs and crosses 2nd half
Collins - gave too much space for first goal but was relatively solid
Clarke - worried me lots. Lots of shouting and organising, but I thought he was most out of position all game.
Mills - uneventful
Summerfield - worked hard as ever
Rose - I quite liked him, busy.
Kelly - unimpressed, a young mans Monkhouse
Dembele - flashes - you can see when he gets the ball, he can do stuff.
Jones - couple of runs first half, but shadow of himself. Didn't see the assault myself, as was drunk off cos thought we should have had a penalty
hooper - quite lazy

Bolly - was himself, ran and tried to get moving things - limited skill
Cardwell - put a shift in, chased and chased. Should have scored header
Norwich kid - reminded me a bit of bolly.

I still think our GK is not top end of league two, the defence worried me greatly today. Midfield was a bit lacklustre and not attacking threat.

Apart from that we would have got 3 points.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2017, 9:11am; Reply: 40
I feel for the staff that have to go in today on their only day off because of the shower yesterday. Let's hope it's an extra session working on 442 ;)
Posted by: EY Mariner, August 20, 2017, 9:13am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
Been back in London for a while. Having a pint of hophouse 13 in the punch and Judy pub in Covent Garden.

I think the performance of the match overall has been pretty covered by most on here. My quarm at the mo is how their player on a yellow never got a second.

Anywho I didn't go last season as I had a hernia op. But read all post and tweets about stewards and organisation as such and took things with a pinch of salt.

But I'd love to know of the performance of the stewards were as bad today as they were last season? I haven't seen such a shambles ever except dartford.

Maybe a complaint from Mr. Fenty is in order?

I will be making a formal complaint about the stewarding and the attitude of an individual police officer. I urge everyone who was subjected to them to do the same and involve the Football Supporters Federation as well. As much as I am angry about the team's display, it is nothing compared to the disgust I feel at a security operation that made North Korea feel more welcoming.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2017, 9:26am; Reply: 42
I've had a couple people from the club ask for details of what happened to a lady I was with, without going into detail to much they're going to seek advice but we'd rather just move on and forget about it, she was very embarrassed.
Posted by: EY Mariner, August 20, 2017, 9:33am; Reply: 43
I am aware of one particularly disgraceful incident, (not sure if it's what you're referring to but I won't go into detail in any event) but, for me, forgetting it is not an option. I'm not prepared to be treated like a criminal for going to support my team.
Posted by: oldun, August 20, 2017, 9:48am; Reply: 44
Quoted from lukeo
I feel for the staff that have to go in today on their only day off because of the shower yesterday. Let's hope it's an extra session working on 442 ;)

I don't they are all part of it.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 20, 2017, 10:03am; Reply: 45
Quoted from EY Mariner

I will be making a formal complaint about the stewarding and the attitude of an individual police officer. I urge everyone who was subjected to them to do the same and involve the Football Supporters Federation as well. As much as I am angry about the team's display, it is nothing compared to the disgust I feel at a security operation that made North Korea feel more welcoming.

Before we entered the ground we even saw a kid roughly about 4 year old getting searched.
Failing that if your complaint doesn't work.

In the reverse fixture it'll be as follows:
Stevenage now pay £21.
They're seated at the front of the Harrington corner.
They have to sit in their allocated seat.
A line of stewards stand at the front of them.
They're banned from drinking alcohol in the ground.

When they raise their complaints about us we'll tell the why and then maybe they can do something about their organisation.
Posted by: EY Mariner, August 20, 2017, 10:10am; Reply: 46
Could well be the one I was told was hiding behind his father, clearly distressed, by their attitude.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2017, 10:19am; Reply: 47
Ronnie, I think the lad you're talking about was my lad. I thought it'd be hilarious for them to check our lads who are 4 and 8, so I told them to reach their arms in the air and go to the steward for a body search..  to be fair to the steward he looked at me funny then realised I wanted him to do it for a laugh, smiled and just cracked on with it
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 20, 2017, 10:38am; Reply: 48
Quoted from lukeo
Ronnie, I think the lad you're talking about was my lad. I thought it'd be hilarious for them to check our lads who are 4 and 8, so I told them to reach their arms in the air and go to the steward for a body search..  to be fair to the steward he looked at me funny then realised I wanted him to do it for a laugh, smiled and just cracked on with it

This was a little girl
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2017, 10:43am; Reply: 49
Ah fair enough, well we all have our opinions. I think it's crazy they did what they did and searched little kids but my Mrs has a different view. She said if people knew they'd never check kids, if anyone was to bring anything in, whether it be a flare or even to the extreme a bomb, they'd just put it on the kid. Sounds rediculous but she does have a point. We have our views and opinions, had a nice long chat with an older chap who sits in the lower every week, we both said how everyone has their own opinion and at times we agreed to disagree on things. The main talk was the abuse to the players.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 20, 2017, 12:08pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from lukeo
Ah fair enough, well we all have our opinions. I think it's crazy they did what they did and searched little kids but my Mrs has a different view. She said if people knew they'd never check kids, if anyone was to bring anything in, whether it be a flare or even to the extreme a bomb, they'd just put it on the kid. Sounds rediculous but she does have a point. We have our views and opinions, had a nice long chat with an older chap who sits in the lower every week, we both said how everyone has their own opinion and at times we agreed to disagree on things. The main talk was the abuse to the players.

Fair enough. Though my argument would be that what kind of buffoon would hide a smoke bomb or weapon on their OWN child then use it in front of them? Usually these idiots act alone or in front of their mates.

My opinion is that I think the stewards were out to get us from the off and we're looking to shop someone. Whether you believe that or not that's up to you.
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2017, 12:31pm; Reply: 51
Without going into detail if they really are out to get us then change the hands on searched get a sniffer dog in.. Second away game in a row ive taken my little lad and something been going on
Posted by: lukeo, August 20, 2017, 12:33pm; Reply: 52
To reply to you Ronnie I accept your opinion, my personal experience was fine and stewards where friendly,  but I could see behind the goal more there did seem to be alot of stuff going on in patches, I can't comment as I didn't see exactly what.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2017, 12:46pm; Reply: 53

Fair enough. Though my argument would be that what kind of buffoon would hide a smoke bomb or weapon on their OWN child then use it in front of them? Usually these idiots act alone or in front of their mates.

My opinion is that I think the stewards were out to get us from the off and we're looking to shop someone. Whether you believe that or not that's up to you.

They did what a lot of clubs do, just assume that everyone is dodgy and treat them that way, they find it much easier than actually working hard to spot the bad apples.What really p1ssed me off was the fact they searched all the Town fans but none of the the home fans, not sure how they justify that to be honest.  
Posted by: GyMariner, August 20, 2017, 1:09pm; Reply: 54
You'd think professional footballers would be able to retain possession for lengthy periods of time. If I failed at the basics of my job I'd be straight out the door. It kind of worries me when I'm getting excited that we've managed to string 3,4,5 passes together in the oppositions half. I'm sorry but that should be a given.

I'm just hoping it was a blip.
Posted by: oldun, August 20, 2017, 3:04pm; Reply: 55
Just seen the highlights. Macca made no attempt at all to save the third goal. For god's sake he could have caught that it was so close to him. He just waved an arm as the ball went past him. I am running out of patience with him and his member ups and then pointing angrily at any defender he an find. I am not blaming him for the defeat but come on Macca sort yourself out or young Ben will be in your place.
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 20, 2017, 3:10pm; Reply: 56
Then he'll spit his dummy out and ask for a transfer!!
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, August 20, 2017, 3:10pm; Reply: 57
Yes, just seen it myself. He just watched it go close by him.
Posted by: Kristine, August 20, 2017, 4:02pm; Reply: 58

Hasn't happened with GTFC but has happened with other clubs hence children are being wanded now more regularly.  
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 20, 2017, 4:28pm; Reply: 59
Remember Slade is ace and the least he will do is set us up so we are well organised and hard to beat. His teams are always full of hard working players. The supporters of our new signings former clubs always say the players that left are rubbish but its just sour grapes because they are jealous they did not get to keep them.  :P  UTM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 20, 2017, 4:32pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Remember Slade is ace and the least he will do is set us up so we are well organised and hard to beat. His teams are always full of hard working players. The supporters of our new signings former clubs always say the players that left are rubbish but its just sour grapes because they are jealous they did not get to keep them.  :P  UTM

You can now remove your tongue from your cheek I suspect 😂
Posted by: Jaws, August 20, 2017, 4:56pm; Reply: 61
Got through airport security quicker and easier than into that excrement hole of a ground
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 20, 2017, 6:11pm; Reply: 62
I didn't notice any shenanigans with the stewards yesterday, only a couple going up to tell some kids something (not to stand on seats?) at the back.

It was better than last year in the there were more turnstiles open. No queue when I got there (but we were a bit late so most people were already inside).

I suppose their rationale for checking us but not the home fans is we've had muppets who've let off smoke bombs - have they?

As for the sending off, what the intercourse did Jones do? Only looked like he'd flexed his arms to get that cheating twit Gorman to get his arms off him. The ref can't have seen Jones do anything and neither could the linesman because surely competent officials would have penalised Gorman first for having Jones in a bear hug. Not once but twice at set pieces within a minute.

We deserved nowt from the game though. Utter garbage. Only player to earn his salt was Dembele. If I was Slade, I'd start by introducing the players to each other and explaining what their jobs were. Have Macca and the back four been introduced?
Posted by: gobby, August 20, 2017, 6:22pm; Reply: 63
Elbow straight to the stomach when waiting for the throw in. It was seen by a few Town fans who were stood straight in front of it, as I was but I think I had my head in my hands crying by this point! 8)
UTMM
Posted by: sydney, August 20, 2017, 7:45pm; Reply: 64
So why did the Stevenage player go down holding his head I wonder
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 21, 2017, 3:34am; Reply: 65
Quoted from sydney
So why did the Stevenage player go down holding his head I wonder

He's after a transfer to Cheltenham.
Posted by: rancido, August 21, 2017, 2:39pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Madeleymariner

......and don't forget his lack of results and sacking at Coventry last season was nothing to do with him. The Board didn't like him, the fans didn't like him and the players wouldn't perform for him. I think where he went wrong was not giving out any Sunday detentions to his naughty boys. ;)
Posted by: Cloudy, August 21, 2017, 3:06pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from rancido

......and don't forget his lack of results and sacking at Coventry last season was nothing to do with him. The Board didn't like him, the fans didn't like him and the players wouldn't perform for him. I think where he went wrong was not giving out any Sunday detentions to his naughty boys. ;)

FFS give it a rest!

So you dont like Slade, his tactics or his appointment. Many feel the same but quoting the same old stuff on every thread is getting very boring now.

Maybe you and Friskney could get a room or at least skip off into the sunset together
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 21, 2017, 4:19pm; Reply: 68
No prophet is welcome in his hometown.
Posted by: rancido, August 21, 2017, 8:08pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Cloudy

FFS give it a rest!

So you dont like Slade, his tactics or his appointment. Many feel the same but quoting the same old stuff on every thread is getting very boring now.

Maybe you and Friskney could get a room or at least skip off into the sunset together

Simple answer Cumulonimbus - when you see a post by Friskney or me then don't read it!!!
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 9:02pm