Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 18, 2017, 4:43pm
Sad news that the Chronicle went to press for the last time this week - always dared to be slightly different.
Posted by: Davec, August 18, 2017, 5:09pm; Reply: 1
Well that was all very sudden.
Posted by: oldun, August 18, 2017, 5:37pm; Reply: 2
They went out with a blaze of glory with the report of the Coventry game and had a go at the club about the request to pay for interviews.
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 18, 2017, 6:47pm; Reply: 3
I hope this has nothing to do with gtfc
Posted by: pizzzza, August 18, 2017, 6:49pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from fleabag1970

Why would it?
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 18, 2017, 7:33pm; Reply: 5
I bet someone is having a little chuckle to himself😉
Posted by: Bigdog, August 18, 2017, 8:12pm; Reply: 6
Nigel Lowther is an extremely decent bloke. Hope the closure doesn't affect him too adversely in any way..
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 18, 2017, 8:19pm; Reply: 7

Shrinking advertising market to blame, apparently.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 18, 2017, 8:34pm; Reply: 8
Print media is notoriously difficult these days. Sad demise of traditional journalism in this country.
Posted by: barralad, August 18, 2017, 8:37pm; Reply: 9
Monumentally sad day for the area. A local newspaper run by people with a genuine interest in North East Lincs. Nigel Lowther is a thoroughly genuine bloke with the interests of GTFC firmly in his heart.
Looks like we'll have to rely on a "local" paper printed in The Midlands.. :o
Posted by: chaos33, August 18, 2017, 8:58pm; Reply: 10
Agree with Barralad, Kingston and Bigdog.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, August 18, 2017, 9:57pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from fleabag1970

Really? What did they do, ring round everyone and told them to pull their advertising?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 18, 2017, 10:03pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from SteffiMariner

Really? What did they do, ring round everyone and told them to pull their advertising?

The powers that be would never do that sort of thing.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, August 18, 2017, 10:25pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The powers that be would never do that sort of thing.

Why would they when they can offer a bargain £150 Volunteer GTFC Strong Arming experience package!

"There's the phone, now get ringing... and sound menacing"
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 18, 2017, 10:40pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

Why would they when they can offer a bargain £150 Volunteer GTFC Strong Arming experience package!

"There's the phone, now get ringing... and sound menacing"

;D
Posted by: supertown, August 18, 2017, 11:07pm; Reply: 15
Why do I get the chronicle free every week ? Never really understood that
Posted by: 137 (Guest), August 19, 2017, 4:28am; Reply: 16
Quoted from supertown
Why do I get the chronicle free every week ? Never really understood that

So that they can attract advertisers by saying "if you put an advert in our paper it will reach n-thousand local homes".
Posted by: Mallyner, August 19, 2017, 6:59am; Reply: 17
A very sad day for me too, having known Nigel and before him, his dad Jim for as long as I can remember. They are lovely people and big Grimsby Town supporters and season ticket holders.

Closing the paper Nigel had put so much love into, must have been one hell of a hard decision; and I will miss my weekly read.  :o
Posted by: moosey_club, August 19, 2017, 9:45am; Reply: 18
Local paper, local reporters, local stories for local people...sounds like the Royston Vasey Echo BUT so refreshing to be able to pick up a so called local paper that was at least accurate in its details.
Wherever you go next Nigel good luck.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 19, 2017, 10:22am; Reply: 19
[quote=228]Monumentally sad day for the area. A local newspaper run by people with a genuine interest in North East Lincs. Nigel Lowther is a thoroughly genuine bloke with the interests of GTFC firmly in his heart.
[/b]Looks like we'll have to rely on a "local" paper printed in The Midlands.. :o[[b]/quote]

I gave up with the Grimsby Telegraph when they stopping printing the Sports edition and it not been printed in this town.

Good luck Nigel in what ever you decide to do, a really nice bloke and a proper journalist with the interest of the local community at heart.

UTM
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 19, 2017, 1:27pm; Reply: 20
Never seen the Chronicle not living locally but sounds like it's a shame it's gone

Was there an online version? I never went looking for one but maybe that's an avenue that Nigel could go down if he wants to keep his hand in what's going on in Cleethorpes and its surrounds?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 19, 2017, 1:39pm; Reply: 21
Sad to hear of the demise of the Clee Chronicle always had good local knowledge by local people.

The Grimsby telegraph is awful it no longer as any ties to the town often gets stories mixed up and relies on second hand social media from the internet.

The web site is so full of intrusive advertising it is like a mine field trying to read any article the first hurdle is always that stupid survey that immediately hijacks the page which puts most peoples back up straight away.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 19, 2017, 2:22pm; Reply: 22
Both the Evening Telegraph  and the Echo. are dreadful full of errors and staff trainee  journalists who have no local knowledge or interest.
Posted by: ponnyfan, August 19, 2017, 3:18pm; Reply: 23
Lots of time for Nigel Lowther, a real gent and GTFC through and through. I will never forget him arranging a feature in the newspaper and bringing Justin Whittle to visit me in hospital, following my heart attack in 2008. Good luck for the future Nigel
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 12:57am