Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 15, 2017, 8:41pm
Just refused to read out the half time scores in the checkatrade trophy!

Well done Jeff!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 15, 2017, 8:47pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Just refused to ready out the half time scores in the checkatrade trophy!

Well done Jeff!

Quite surprised he read out the National League!
Posted by: sydney, August 15, 2017, 8:49pm; Reply: 2

That poor company checkatrade have put a fortune into that competition
They perhaps should have refused to pay up if structure of comp didn't change
Think if it wasn't for them bloomin oxford & Coventry fans going to the final they would have insisted on change
Just on Gillette TV program see Hartlepool are losing again 👍👍
Posted by: Mikey_345, August 15, 2017, 8:57pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from sydney

That poor company checkatrade have put a fortune into that competition
They perhaps should have refused to pay up if structure of comp didn't change
Think if it wasn't for them bloomin oxford & Coventry fans going to the final they would have insisted on change
Just on Gillette TV program see Hartlepool are losing again 👍👍

To be fair, they've probably got more publicity than they thought they would when they first sponsored it!
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 15, 2017, 9:04pm; Reply: 4
Is our boycott game getting any real publicity?
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 15, 2017, 9:20pm; Reply: 5
Orient having a "Braintree" moment tonight!
Posted by: Sigone, August 15, 2017, 9:29pm; Reply: 6
Dave Tarpey banging the goals in for Maidenhead, lots of league clubs have looked at him, scored 44 last season.  Now 7 in 4 this season.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 15, 2017, 9:39pm; Reply: 7

FT........Hartlepool  1-1  Chester

That's 2 points out of 12 for Hartlepool.......Jeff's living the dream    ;D

Posted by: LH, August 15, 2017, 9:43pm; Reply: 8
I am so pleased we're out of that sewer of a division after looking through the results tonight.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 15, 2017, 9:49pm; Reply: 9
I caught Rotherham v Man City U21 tonight. Buckley would be proud of Man City who kept the ball on the floor throughout winning on penalties which was totally underserved.

Wilko and Warrington were also there.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 15, 2017, 10:28pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Just refused to [/b]ready out[b] the half time scores in the checkatrade trophy!

Well done Jeff!

Was a "ready out"
Posted by: towncryer, August 16, 2017, 7:55am; Reply: 11
Quoted from promotion plaice

FT........Hartlepool  1-1  Chester

That's 2 points out of 12 for Hartlepool.......Jeff's living the dream    ;D

Is Amond still at Hartlepool? Rated him highly while he was at town.

Posted by: Abdul19, August 16, 2017, 8:33am; Reply: 12
Yep, started last night
Posted by: OllieGTFC, August 16, 2017, 9:25am; Reply: 13
I thought Hartlepool fans said they will be back first time 🤔 Who's tin pot now, I guess even amond can't save them 😂
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 16, 2017, 9:30am; Reply: 14
Orient had a cracking result last night too.

Not that easy getting out of that league is it?
Posted by: 137 (Guest), August 16, 2017, 10:42am; Reply: 15
Quoted from OllieGTFC
I thought Hartlepool fans said they will be back first time 🤔 Who's tin pot now, I guess even amond can't save them 😂

They may still do so - and many Town fans thought the same when we did the dreaded drop. I know I did.

BUT

Anyone know the odds on Hartlepool getting relegated?  Should be decent, considering how massive their fans think they are....    ::)
Posted by: chaos33, August 16, 2017, 11:56am; Reply: 16
They'd have to be absolutely to$$ to get relegated from the conference though, and in all honesty they will not be bad enough. Seems much more likely, speaking as a neutral, that they might have a 'middling' sort of first season. Ditto Orient too.
I reckon both teams will finish nearer the top than the bottom but they should prepare themselves for some sticky spells and abject results along the ride. Like Orient's last night and Hartlepool's last Saturday.

Never mind eh.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 16, 2017, 12:16pm; Reply: 17
The only way they could get relegated is if they appointed Jackie McNamara as manager!

Couldn't give a shit about Orient either way, Hartlepool =  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 16, 2017, 12:37pm; Reply: 18
Torquay are bottom who were a recent League side York went down so................
Posted by: lee65, August 16, 2017, 12:41pm; Reply: 19
Living near York, I watched them have the two successive relegations. Talking to friends who went, sometimes they weren't that bad, but once the slide started they just couldn't do enough to arrest it, so Hartlepool (or Orient) could go that way too if their form continues to be poor for a sustained period.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), August 16, 2017, 12:48pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from chaos33
They'd have to be absolutely to$$ to get relegated from the conference though, and in all honesty they will not be bad enough. Seems much more likely, speaking as a neutral, that they might have a 'middling' sort of first season. Ditto Orient too.
I reckon both teams will finish nearer the top than the bottom but they should prepare themselves for some sticky spells and abject results along the ride. Like Orient's last night and Hartlepool's last Saturday.

Never mind eh.

Have to agree that H'pool ought to have too many experienced players to go down....unless the unfulfilled expectations of their fans creates a
toxic atmosphere.
Can't say I know or care much about Orient, but I'll give their supporters credit for resisting the lure of Premiershit alternatives.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, August 16, 2017, 1:00pm; Reply: 21
To be honest, the stance from the club is questionable for the check a trade as there's not a fixture list on the cards they've given out or on the a4 sheets they gave out, I couldn't even tell you when the first game is!

That said I think if the boycott is kept up from last season, I think you won't see this format next season.
Posted by: TonySmith, August 16, 2017, 1:24pm; Reply: 22
    Town's first season ended in mid table. Remember it took us six long years with gradual improvement year on year to get out, so there is no reason to assume it will be any different for Hartlepool or Orient or Tranmere. And how long have Wrexham been in that league now?
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 16, 2017, 1:30pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from TonySmith
    Town's first season ended in mid table. Remember it took us six long years with gradual improvement year on year to get out, so there is no reason to assume it will be any different for Hartlepool or Orient or Tranmere. And how long have Wrexham been in that league now?

They were relegated in the 2007/08 season so this will be their 10th season down there.

Would like to see them come back up really. A proper club with a loyal fanbase.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 16, 2017, 2:19pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Les Brechin

They were relegated in the 2007/08 season so this will be their 10th season down there.

Would like to see them come back up really. A proper club with a loyal fanbase.

Should be in the Welsh league along with Newport, Cardiff & Swansea.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 16, 2017, 4:49pm; Reply: 25
Wrexhams position is all the more galling when you consider they had a couple seasons in the 90 points when we were first down there. I might be mistaken, but I think it was Crawley and fleetwood who went up ahead of them, who were both well funded at the time.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 16, 2017, 5:10pm; Reply: 26
Tranmre,Wrexham,Lincoln, us Luton have all found getting out of there a lot harder especially as only ONE teams goes up by right. These well funded smaller clubs have levelled the playing field.
Posted by: Meza, August 16, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 27
How long has it been for Stockport and Kidderminster?
Posted by: Fat Cobra, August 16, 2017, 6:56pm; Reply: 28
Can remember playing kidderminster 04/05
Posted by: crusty ole pie, August 16, 2017, 7:09pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Tranmre,Wrexham,Lincoln, us Luton have all found getting out of there a lot harder especially as only ONE teams goes up by right. These well funded smaller clubs have levelled the playing field.

Do we want to help them by suggesting a extra promotion spot , I bet most of us have now changed our views lol
Posted by: barrattstandman, August 16, 2017, 7:12pm; Reply: 30
Kidderminster were never an established league club. They only spent 5 seasons in the football league from 2000/1.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 16, 2017, 8:09pm; Reply: 31
Looks like Orient had their Braintree moment last night. But 6 points from 4 games isn't bad. And Hartlepool 2points ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D*

* not got anything against them really, just the prats who came on here last season
Posted by: towncryer, August 16, 2017, 9:12pm; Reply: 32
Think Forest Green were the longest serving members of the National League (something like 21 seasons ) before they got promoted along with us this season.
Another heavily backed village team with limited support but as has been pointed out already these owners with money to invest in these teams have levelled the playing field.
What I don't get though is why these people want to put money into clubs like this as opposed to clubs like Town Lincoln Tranmere Wrexham or even clubs further up the pyramid.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 16, 2017, 10:03pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from towncryer
Think Forest Green were the longest serving members of the National League (something like 21 seasons ) before they got promoted along with us this season.
Another heavily backed village team with limited support but as has been pointed out already these owners with money to invest in these teams have levelled the playing field.
What I don't get though is why these people want to put money into clubs like this as opposed to clubs like Town Lincoln Tranmere Wrexham or even clubs further up the pyramid.

Probably because they have more control over what happens with a much smaller club. More bang for their buck. You can't mould Grimsby, Tranny, Lincoln or Wrecsam into your vision of a new world without getting a lot of people's backs up.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 16, 2017, 10:15pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from towncryer

Vince the greenie, plan was not Forest Green FC, but the land around Forest Green.

Look at the plan for the development, a tiny new stadium within a massive green development.

Forest Green has been his way to front his eco business, very successfully.

I also see that the new stadium is to be the first stadium to be built entirely out of wood.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 16, 2017, 10:34pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Vince the greenie, plan was not Forest Green FC, but the land around Forest Green.

Look at the plan for the development, a tiny new stadium within a massive green development.

Forest Green has been his way to front his eco business, very successfully.

I also see that the new stadium is to be the first stadium to be built entirely out of wood.

Doubt it. Most were wooden before the concrete, steel and plastic took over. A bit like saying 'it'll be the first farm to rely solely on natural fertilisers.'
Posted by: Maringer, August 17, 2017, 9:07am; Reply: 36
I give you the Main Stand as an excellent example of a wooden stand. Don't think they even bothered with foundations when they put it up and it's still standing!
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 17, 2017, 3:54pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from TonySmith

Apologies for being pedantic but that is not quite correct, the first two seasons we finished in 11th place so no improvement.

And in 15/16 we actually finished lower than in 14/15.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 17, 2017, 3:58pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from arryarryarry

Apologies for being pedantic but that is not quite correct, the first two seasons we finished in 11th place so no improvement.

You could say that we did improve in those first 2 seasons though, even though we finished in the same position.

2010/11 Won 15 Drew 17 Lost 14 Points 62
2011/12 Won 19 Drew 13 Lost 14 Points 70
Posted by: wigworld, August 17, 2017, 5:16pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Maringer
I give you the Main Stand as an excellent example of a wooden stand.

Posted by: Abdul19, August 17, 2017, 7:35pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from arryarryarry

I was thinking of making the same pedantic point about 14/15 being much better points/place wise than 15/16, but then I remembered that winning the play-off final is a big improvement on losing it!
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, August 17, 2017, 8:14pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Les Brechin

You could say that we did improve in those first 2 seasons though, even though we finished in the same position.

2010/11 Won 15 Drew 17 Lost 14 Points 62
2011/12 Won 19 Drew 13 Lost 14 Points 70

Top pedanting!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 17, 2017, 8:29pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from LongEatonMariner

Top pedanting!

Are pedants allowed to coin new verbs?  :)
Posted by: AussieMariner, August 18, 2017, 12:13am; Reply: 43
I used to think I was pedantic. Then I realised it wasn't quite the right word.  
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 18, 2017, 9:55am; Reply: 44
I used to think I was pedantic,but I was just being overly critical of myself.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 4:53pm