Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Freemoash88, August 12, 2017, 7:34pm
Sorry to bring it up again but the atmosphere at home is totally excrement. I'm not sure what it sounds like in pontoon or how loud they think they sound but in the upper it sound absolutely shocking. Please don't think I've come on here to knock peoples efforts I respect that lot of people try to get something going. But at times it became cringe worthy to say the least. I will add every now and again the whole "Mariners" chant and "fish" chant sounds good but even the Coventry fans started to mock us.

Our away day atmosphere is amazing and I know away days for town have always been better than home games but surely we should try organise it better especially at home games.

tl:dr atmosphere at home is excrement, I'm not slating anybody and take my hat off to those that try. how can we make it better..
Posted by: Rhys_Mariners, August 12, 2017, 7:41pm; Reply: 1
It's not just us though, having gone to most away games over the past two seasons i have started to realise away support is just much louder than the home fans at any ground. It's the same in any league also, just look at Arsenal, emirates is like a library yet their away support is fantastic.
Posted by: fleabag1970, August 12, 2017, 7:48pm; Reply: 2
The football on offer today was shocking . Nothing to get an atmosphere going
Posted by: Tommy, August 12, 2017, 7:51pm; Reply: 3
Away fans will out-sing the home support at every football ground in the league generally.

At home, the atmosphere depends on what's going on on the pitch. And today we had no spells of possession and we didn't have any period where we had them pinned back or created chances.
Posted by: Teesknees, August 12, 2017, 8:12pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Freemoash88
Sorry to bring it up again but the atmosphere at home is totally excrement. I'm not sure what it sounds like in pontoon or how loud they think they sound but in the upper it sound absolutely shocking. Please don't think I've come on here to knock peoples efforts I respect that lot of people try to get something going. But at times it became cringe worthy to say the least. I will add every now and again the whole "Mariners" chant and "fish" chant sounds good but even the Coventry fans started to mock us.

Our away day atmosphere is amazing and I know away days for town have always been better than home games but surely we should try organise it better especially at home games.

tl:dr atmosphere at home is excrement, I'm not slating anybody and take my hat off to those that try. how can we make it better..

Away days have not always been better than home games,  that's not always been the case!
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 13, 2017, 3:28pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Freemoash88

I think if you went to most grounds and the football on offer was the same as yesterday then I think you would find the atmosphere crap.(Chesterfield fans last week)

It pisses me off when people come on here and complain about Town fans especially considering what we have had to put up with the last 10 years or so.
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 13, 2017, 3:52pm; Reply: 6
I would say that the majority of fans around the country would say that they are louder, sing more when they are away than at home, it's not just a Grimsby thing.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 13, 2017, 3:56pm; Reply: 7
52,000 Newcastle fans did not make much noise today.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, August 13, 2017, 4:04pm; Reply: 8
On away days you're all on a day out, all like minded and trying to help your team, coupled with all being bunched together. The atmosphere is bound to be better. Whereas at home the noisy element is scattered around the ground and generally need something on the pitch to fire everyone up.
That's my opinion for what it's worth.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 13, 2017, 4:23pm; Reply: 9
It makes a big difference when the away support are all housed in one area have all gone there with high expectation and to show people who we are although this can back fire like it did at Halifax that day.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 13, 2017, 4:25pm; Reply: 10

I'll get me coat................ :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPLk5mJ1D4
Posted by: Abdul19, August 13, 2017, 10:44pm; Reply: 11
Been rubbish since it went all seater
Posted by: grimps, August 14, 2017, 8:42am; Reply: 12
Yeh osmond stand has got the acoustics , The pontoon has always been crap.
Posted by: RichMariner, August 14, 2017, 11:52am; Reply: 13
Let's be honest - when we watch the Mariners at an away game, we travel more in hope than expectation.

I think the opposite is true at home.

We all know how poor Coventry were last season, and even though they won 3-0 last week I think most of us turned up on Saturday expecting a good performance at the very least, if not a win or draw.

But then my dad will say, in his day, the mentality was different. Fans still expected the team to perform strongly at home but it was more about making BP as intimidating as possible for everyone connected to the visiting side.

I feel that this side of football has been lost. BP might be an old, traditional ground, but new grounds popping up all over the country has no doubt made a difference.

They all look the same and they've lost a bit of their identity. I certainly wouldn't be intimidated as a fan (or hypothetically as a player) visiting the likes of Colchester, Morecambe or even Shrewsbury in the league above.

None of these clubs have fans known for pulling the ball into the goal.

I still think we can get BP rocking but it takes a set of specific circumstances to make that happen.

I know the players are meant to give us something to shout about, but I've always believed that it's the fans that need to get the team going first as that's how it traditionally used to work.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:07pm