Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BeijingMariner, August 8, 2017, 8:17pm
[url]https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/hooper-signs-for-the-mariners/[/url]
Posted by: hheh2, August 8, 2017, 9:03pm; Reply: 1
Good signing looks powerful quick and can score from anywhere
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, August 8, 2017, 9:26pm; Reply: 2
Dare I say it, but we look like we have a good blend of pace, power, experience and trickery.

Add to that Slade's meticulous preparation and organisation, and Wilko's striking experience, we might have a half-decent side.

Exciting times.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 8, 2017, 9:32pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from hheh2

Looking at that write up about him on the OS, he might be able to score from anywhere but not very often.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 8, 2017, 10:06pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Jonathan James Hooper (ohmy)

Step aside Lenell John Lewis. We have another SHOP in Town lol!

He's a shoe in.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 8, 2017, 10:19pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from hheh2

One Vale fan said this  ;D

"Easily up there with some of the worst players I've seen play for Vale. No technical ability, no strength, no speed, literally does nothing all game and offers no threat. He doesn't even make up for his downfalls by trying, never seemed like he actually wanted to be on the pitch."

I hope you're right and not him!
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 8, 2017, 10:28pm; Reply: 6
I'll wait to see him before judging.

Jon Nolan has become the token response to fans of clubs slagging off their ex-players.

We've done it ourselves, I seem to remember Liam Trotter was deemed useless by many when he was here.  Even better, Danny Butterfield was a target for our boo-boys yet reached levels well above GTFC.

It's horses for courses and whilst Hooper may have looked crap for Vale and others, he may be exactly what we need for our system.  I don't think we're looking for a 20 goal front man, we've plenty of goals spread throughout the side. What we need is someone who will lead the line and create space for the likes of Dembele and Jones.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 8, 2017, 10:38pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from diehardmariner

Jon Nolan has become the token response to fans of clubs slagging off their ex-players.

We've done it ourselves, I seem to remember Liam Trotter was deemed useless by many when he was here.  Even better, Danny Butterfield was a target for our boo-boys yet reached levels well above GTFC.

It's horses for courses and whilst Hooper may have looked crap for Vale and others, he may be exactly what we need for our system.  I don't think we're looking for a 20 goal front man, we've plenty of goals spread throughout the side. What we need is someone who will lead the line and create space for the likes of Dembele and Jones.

Nolan was MOM in League 1 on Saturday.

As ever, i will judge for myself and not an instant judgement either. Some players take a while to get going and having been on trial here for a few weeks, Slade must have seen something he likes because you don't give out 2 year deals on a whim nowadays. Maybe that was the sticking point, length of contract?
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 8, 2017, 10:42pm; Reply: 8
He was playing in a terrible team last season and was probably managed badly as well. Slade is well known for getting the best out of players and his teams always give 100%.

It was noticeable that in the team tonight that there were 6 players who also started the Morecambe home game last season. Unbelievable given the 100s of players we've signed since then.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 8, 2017, 10:58pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner

Fair points diehard. I just worry about so many fans talking about his lack of effort. I cling to the hope that this has been caused by the fact that he has been played so often out of position
Posted by: mariner91, August 8, 2017, 11:11pm; Reply: 10
I'm not all that worried about his supposed attitude problems. If he doesn't put in the effort, RS won't have him in the squad and he'll waste away in the reserves. Slade's teams have always been full of triers, I doubt that is going to change.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 8, 2017, 11:47pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from mariner91
I'm not all that worried about his supposed attitude problems. If he doesn't put in the effort, RS won't have him in the squad and he'll waste away in the reserves. Slade's teams have always been full of triers, I doubt that is going to change.

Again, fair point. Nsuppose we go back to the old saying. In slade we trust
Posted by: StaffsMariner, August 9, 2017, 5:36pm; Reply: 12
Welcome to Grimsby JJ.
Posted by: Rick12, August 9, 2017, 6:46pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from mariner91
Good to read

Posted by: stevethefish, August 9, 2017, 7:08pm; Reply: 14
Welcome JJ and just score more than Bogle and all will be fine. Rumour is he already wants your shirt as he was watching last night to see who his replacement will be 😋😋
Posted by: acko338, August 9, 2017, 7:46pm; Reply: 15
Slade has given hin the No 9 shirt, which for me says he will want him to be a prime pick as one of the strikers - this season's Bogle, Amond, Connell ?????

Young enough to learn !
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 10:34pm