Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Grim Reaper, August 7, 2017, 4:12pm
Slade says that it might be done so he can play tomorrow, if not in the coming days. JJ doesn't do it for me but what do I know.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/slade-closing-in-on-striker-target/
Posted by: chaos33, August 7, 2017, 4:49pm; Reply: 1
I'm amused by the GT's hook line 'Slade closing in on striker target'. He can just go and stand next to him at training can't he!
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 7, 2017, 5:01pm; Reply: 2
Its never done until he signs on the dotted line.
Posted by: gtfc98, August 7, 2017, 5:05pm; Reply: 3
How do we know it's Hooper? There's another guy on trial too...
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 7, 2017, 5:19pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from gtfc98
How do we know it's Hooper? There's another guy on trial too...

Slade said it was him and he has been offered terms.
Posted by: lee65, August 7, 2017, 6:51pm; Reply: 5
He's only about 23, I think he's worth a punt, lost time due to injuries, Manager changes meaning being out of favour, but he has scored some crucial goals at Leauge 1 level.
He could benefit from the experience of Scott Vernon?

I like him because he sneaked away from Cheltenham too  ;) 8)
Posted by: lee65, August 7, 2017, 6:52pm; Reply: 6
Sorry "League", I panic about my grammar on here  :)
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 7, 2017, 8:52pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from lee65
Sorry "League", I panic about my grammar on here  :)

Should probably worry more about your spelling as that's not a grammar error  ;) :P
Posted by: lee65, August 7, 2017, 8:56pm; Reply: 8
Fair point MM  :)
Posted by: LongEatonMariner, August 7, 2017, 10:33pm; Reply: 9
What's the thing with Akheem Rose's paperwork? I thought we had him last season so there shouldn't be a problem, is this why he hasn't played pre-season? I know there were some odd comments and tweets about his lack of action (gfaw).
Posted by: golfer, August 8, 2017, 7:12am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Should probably worry more about your spelling as that's not a grammar error  ;) :P

I whent to Wintringham gramer sckool to lern everything aye no so dont take the urine owt of people woo cant spell,clever shite :)
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 8, 2017, 7:19am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Not sure, but he's not registered through the EFL retained list that came out on 20th May 2017.  Akheem Rose is still contracted with the club for another year, so probally just a formality.

This is what I'm on about, check page 79 of this EFL document >> https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-documents/efl-released-and-retained-list---2016-17.pdf

If it was just a formality it would surely already be done? The club have fallen foul of paperwork previously.
Posted by: stevethefish, August 8, 2017, 7:31am; Reply: 12
Like his pedigree..... my Newcastle buddy says he's good... sounds like attitude maybe the only worry based on others comments.

But... you would like to think Russell has more than enough experience to dea with that.

Sign today JJ and let's see you off the bench to tonight.
Posted by: gtfc98, August 8, 2017, 12:50pm; Reply: 13
Doesn't look like he'll be signing in time for tonight. TIme to move on?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 8, 2017, 3:20pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Not sure, but he's not registered through the EFL retained list that came out on 20th May 2017.  Akheem Rose is still contracted with the club for another year, so probally just a formality.

This is what I'm on about, check page 79 of this EFL document >> https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-documents/efl-released-and-retained-list---2016-17.pdf

Wasn't he born in Jamaica? I guess the obvious question would be whether he has the necessary paperwork to work in the UK?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, August 8, 2017, 3:21pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from gtfc98
Doesn't look like he'll be signing in time for tonight. TIme to move on?

What's the rush?
Posted by: newarkmariner, August 8, 2017, 4:11pm; Reply: 16
Hmmm starting to wonder what's the hold up, this signing has been close since Thursday, is he pulling the same stunt he did with Cheltenham or is it the club just not telling us like they did with K Osbourne.
Posted by: Maringer, August 8, 2017, 4:19pm; Reply: 17
Having just read that thread from the Port Vale forum, I'm not sure he's a Slade type of player! Seems an odd one, unless the Vale fans are utterly clueless to a man. Which they might well be, of course.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 8, 2017, 4:26pm; Reply: 18
Whilst Slade has his faults, what he is very good at is bringing in players of a certain ilk that fits very well into his game plan and also motivating and getting the absolute best out of the players he works with, despite their history.

I have the utmost faith in his recruitment strategy and if he think's JJ can be an effective player then I'm behind him 100%.
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 8, 2017, 4:57pm; Reply: 19
Port Vale think Gunning's a good signing so I'm slightly sceptical of their judgement upon a player
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 8, 2017, 5:25pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mariner_09
Port Vale think Gunning's a good signing so I'm slightly sceptical of their judgement upon a player

Says the fan who didn't rate Danny Andrew!
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 8, 2017, 5:34pm; Reply: 21
I did rate Danny Andrew (going forward) he was a liability defensively, this got better as the season went on. I guess a League 2 defender can't have everything though.
Posted by: Teesknees, August 8, 2017, 5:47pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Mariner_09
I did rate Danny Andrew (going forward) he was a liability defensively, this got better as the season went on. I guess a League 2 defender can't have everything though.

He's now a league 1 defender isn't he?
Posted by: Mariners_15, August 8, 2017, 5:51pm; Reply: 23
Did we establish whether it was Ishmael Miller on trial or not? He seems to have floated about for a while without doing much albeit at a higher level..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 8, 2017, 6:15pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Mariner_09

I think I'd be a liability defensively at left back if I didn't have a genuine left sided midfielder in front of me! I think DA did a fantastic job all things considered.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, August 8, 2017, 6:16pm; Reply: 25
I have complete faith in RS, he can do no wrong and I support anything he says and does, if he thinks a player is good enough then they must be,. At this rate we will be making a fortune in sell on fees over the next couple of years,
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, August 8, 2017, 6:17pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Madeleymariner
I have complete faith in RS, he can do no wrong and I support anything he says and does, if he thinks a player is good enough then they must be,. At this rate we will be making a fortune in sell on fees over the next couple of years,

Who are you and what have you done with my father?
Posted by: sapper mariner, August 8, 2017, 7:31pm; Reply: 27
Just been announced on face book
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 8, 2017, 7:35pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from sapper mariner
Just been announced on face book

What has ?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 8, 2017, 7:36pm; Reply: 29
He has signed a 2 year deal with us, JJ Hooper.
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 8, 2017, 7:38pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from 123614
He has signed a 2 year deal with us, JJ Hooper.

That's good  8)
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, August 8, 2017, 7:41pm; Reply: 31
on OS

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/hooper-signs-for-the-mariners/
Posted by: dicko995, August 8, 2017, 7:42pm; Reply: 32

Grimsby Town FC

@officialgtfc
We are delighted to announce the signing of @Jay_Hoops
https://www.
grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2017/augu
st/hooper-signs-for-the-mariners/ 
…#GTFC #UTM
7:30 PM - Aug 8, 2017
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 8, 2017, 7:45pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Mariner_09

But he might turn out well there, we say that about many players who come here that they all deserve a fresh start therefore so does Gunning. We can't use one logic to define that a player can't possibly be bad when signing, Hooper might well be just as terrible as they say.

I hope he doesn't, let's hope he addresses his attitude and Slade brings out the best in him.

Posted by: Mariner_09, August 9, 2017, 9:37pm; Reply: 34
On the subject of Port Vale.

Gunning's been sent off tonight.

How on earth he got a league club and Pearson ended up in the Conference is beyond me.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 19, 2017, 6:38pm; Reply: 35
Can't remember the last singing we've had who was hauled off at half time on their starting debut, anyone recall who that would be?
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 19, 2017, 6:42pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Can't remember the last singing we've had who was hauled off at half time on their starting debut, anyone recall who that would be?

Hooper is one of the rare players who lived up to all expectations by being absolutely shite.
Posted by: Grantley, August 19, 2017, 6:42pm; Reply: 37
has it been two years yet
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 19, 2017, 6:46pm; Reply: 38
See the title of the OP, on the basis of his first Town start I would answer yes it is "all but done" for JJ Hooper.

Give him the benefit of the doubt but he looked a 1,000 miles off today.  
Posted by: rancido, August 19, 2017, 6:57pm; Reply: 39
It's nice to see that RS is using all his contacts and experience to sign quality players.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 19, 2017, 7:29pm; Reply: 40
We rarely have a player make an explosive debut do we?
Posted by: jaygy, August 19, 2017, 8:09pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from ginnywings

I give you Kayden Jackson and Adi Yussuf, look how well they ended up 😂
Posted by: Marinerz93, August 19, 2017, 9:07pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from ginnywings

Does explosive diarrhea count, in which case he did, just in one spot mind and not all over the park, the others saw to that  ;)
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 5:21pm