Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 6, 2017, 7:41pm
Very sad to see one of my favourite Town players Ronnie Foster has died.

[url]https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/r.i.p.-ronnie-foster/[/url]

Ron was what used to be called an inside forward. His best games with Town were in partnership with Bobby Ross in midfield and Matt Tees and Rod Green up front. He was a superb passer of the ball inside the full back for his winger to run on to. Most of the time that was Brian Hill. The 1965/1966 team was a joy to watch.

A class act. Thanks Ron.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, August 6, 2017, 7:45pm; Reply: 1
Would be nice if the club could read out a similar obituary along with some old pictures/footage (as best they can get, maybe trawl the Grimsby Telegraph archives to see what they have) before the next game, or at halftime.

That's the first I've heard of Ronnie I'm ashamed to say.  Rest in Peace Mariner.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 6, 2017, 8:05pm; Reply: 2
Not a name i know but still a Mariner. RIP.
Posted by: dicko995, August 6, 2017, 8:36pm; Reply: 3
Ron was one of the first players I ever got to talk to when I went autograph hunting at my slender age of 8. I was at Blundell Park every day due to the fact my elder brother took me to the Boys stand in the Barrets, I was sucked in to the life of what I still have.Ron was a hero of many I had in them days,and his autograph I still cherish in many a scrapbook I have. God bless you Ron for many happy memories I still remember,your one of many Mariner legends who to me,will never die.
Posted by: jock dock tower, August 6, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 4
A class act. Alongside Bobby Ross in the midfield as well was another class act Ron (Cannonball) Cockerill and they were good to watch.
Posted by: Grumps, August 7, 2017, 7:03am; Reply: 5
Loved to watch Ron play in what was a really good town team. R,I,P. Ron
Posted by: cannylad68, August 7, 2017, 7:42am; Reply: 6
Couldn't agree more.

A class act, and I always wondered how we managed to get him to come to us.
Especially from a London club.

Wonderful player.
Posted by: golfer, August 7, 2017, 7:48am; Reply: 7
R.I.P.  Ron-we had some good times on our birthdays.
Posted by: oldun, August 7, 2017, 1:07pm; Reply: 8
Ron made it look effortless, his loping style was deceptive. Made the team tick. RIP
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), August 7, 2017, 1:32pm; Reply: 9
Quality player = Ronnie Foster. Thank You, RIP
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, August 7, 2017, 2:27pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from oldun
Ron made it look effortless, his loping style was deceptive. Made the team tick. RIP

Yes. Although he was what the papers used to call a "schemer" in those days, Ron could tackle, he was swift over the grass and he did have finishing ability when he got the chance. I think it was at home to Luton on a very wet pitch that he got the ball in his own half beat the last defender and ran it half the length of the field, the defenders couldn't catch him, and he just passed it beyond the keeper into the corner of the Pontoon goal. Very similar to how Sam Jones finishes a one-on-one.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, August 7, 2017, 5:18pm; Reply: 11
He was part of the Town team when I was first introduced to the Mariners, way back when

Too long ago and too young to remember much of this game but he must have been in the side that drew at BP that night against West Ham ( with Moore, Peters & Hurst )

RIP Ron... :B
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 7, 2017, 5:24pm; Reply: 12
Ron signed for us  about 11.30am and played his first game for us at 3.00pm,

Those where the days,

Ron was a very good player in a very good team,

RIP Ron.
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 8:27am