Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: gtfc98, July 31, 2017, 11:47am
According to the Telegraph Slade is keen on signing him.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?93728-Bridge-to-Grimsby/page2

Mixed reviews on the Southend forum but some seem to think he could be really good player if he knuckles down. Had his head turned by his agent by the sounds of things and has subsequently burnt his bridges  8) with their manager.

A few of their fans don't think much to us either!! Something to do with their visit here in 2004, can't recall anything in particular!

Posted by: Cloudy, July 31, 2017, 11:50am; Reply: 1
Looked very lightweight to me on Saturday and although only young I would think we needed someone more battlehardened
Posted by: ginnywings, July 31, 2017, 11:59am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Cloudy
Looked very lightweight to me on Saturday and although only young I would think we needed someone more battlehardened

Maybe so, but for me, not all players are signed with a view to immediate team duties. There has to be an element of securing players for their potential, even if it doesn't come to fruition. Slade could feel that there is a player there that needs coaxing out.

There are loads of gems in the lower leagues, who for one reason or another haven't quite hit their potential. He could be one.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 31, 2017, 12:02pm; Reply: 3
Not long enough on the pitch on Saturday to make a decision,

I am sure Slade knows what he is doing.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 31, 2017, 12:19pm; Reply: 4
Perhaps he comes toll free?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 31, 2017, 12:21pm; Reply: 5
Hope he's less CANTI and more LEVER
Posted by: Misterton Mariner, July 31, 2017, 12:25pm; Reply: 6
That's a bridge too far.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 31, 2017, 12:25pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Hope he's less CANTI and more LEVER

Well he's not under suspension.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 31, 2017, 12:27pm; Reply: 8
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/15043446.Blues__midfielder_Bridge_training_with_Bournemouth/

Seems like his agent made a right balderdash up
Posted by: barralad, July 31, 2017, 12:45pm; Reply: 9
Kwai oh Kwai do we have to have these puns. He would soon become a Pontoon favourite.
Posted by: Cloudy, July 31, 2017, 12:46pm; Reply: 10
Much prefer Clifton to get his chance
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 31, 2017, 12:48pm; Reply: 11
Beat me to it Barra. i was gonna have 'Pontoon'. Damn!

Should be at home on the Humber though.
Posted by: mariner91, July 31, 2017, 12:49pm; Reply: 12
Does he only play in the middle? In my opinion we need at least one striker, preferably two, another player who can play out wide and a back up left back. We're a bit short of options in the middle currently but that's because we've got three senior players AND Clifton out injured.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 31, 2017, 12:52pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Cloudy
Much prefer Clifton to get his chance

i'm all for local lads coming through, but if this lad is better, its a no brainer...
Posted by: Grimal, July 31, 2017, 12:58pm; Reply: 14
If  Bridge signs surely he would have the No.7 shirt. ;)
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 31, 2017, 1:03pm; Reply: 15
All these people who keep making Bridge puns are right sad Bascules.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 31, 2017, 1:08pm; Reply: 16
Is bridge the right option for crossing?
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 31, 2017, 1:50pm; Reply: 17
Southend calling us tinpot, a club who spent most of their history in the 4th and 3rd tier, with 1, yes one visit to Championship level. Southend, more bottom end or more fittingly Bellenders.
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 31, 2017, 2:17pm; Reply: 18
If we sign him it will be "a Bridge to far"
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 31, 2017, 2:20pm; Reply: 19
If we do sign he we are bound to come forth.
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 31, 2017, 2:26pm; Reply: 20
When he signs I'll look forward to seeing him walk through the 'Golden Gates' of Blundell Park.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 31, 2017, 2:30pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from friskneymariner
If we do sign he we are bound to come forth.

Would expect him to DART forward like FORD used to to!!
Posted by: RichMariner, July 31, 2017, 3:01pm; Reply: 22
It's funny how Jack is only one Bridge.

Michael was two.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 31, 2017, 3:14pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from RichMariner

Michael was two.

Yes but to be fair, Clifton is a Bridge too.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 31, 2017, 3:17pm; Reply: 24
There will be a gap in his experience levels needed now.  I would expect him to bridge this gap and not jack it all in.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 31, 2017, 3:46pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from RichMariner

Michael was two.

That will be resolved when the Grimsby 's' occurs in texts etc.  ;)
Posted by: itsnotcoditshaddock, July 31, 2017, 3:53pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from gtfc98

A few of their fans don't think much to us either!! Something to do with their visit here in 2004, can't recall anything in particular!

Last game of the season at BP, our fans invaded the pitch before the final whistle/stood on the touch line for the last 5 mins (I even remember some bloke swinging on the crossbar at the Pontoon end) and the ref didn't play the full amount of stoppage time because of it. Think they had a chance at going up or could win the title?
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 31, 2017, 4:14pm; Reply: 27

Last game of the season at BP, our fans invaded the pitch before the final whistle/stood on the touch line for the last 5 mins (I even remember some bloke swinging on the crossbar at the Pontoon end) and the ref didn't play the full amount of stoppage time because of it. Think they had a chance at going up or could win the title?

You are right. A win would have given them automatic promotion (not the title) but in the end they finished 4th but they went up via the play-offs anyway. They then went on to win the League One title the following season so you'd have thought that they'd have forgiven us for playing short in that last game.
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 31, 2017, 4:16pm; Reply: 28
Was it not the game that we beat them 4-0 last game of the season and relegated them? Or maybe that was before then...

As for Bridge, he looked incredibly rusty when he came on. I'm guessing he's not played much football recently though.
Posted by: gtfc98, July 31, 2017, 4:17pm; Reply: 29
He's free to leave Southend but Russ hasn't let Phil Brown know if we want him yet. So guessing he wasn't that impressed?

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/15443934.Blues_midfielder_Bridge_plays_for_Grimsby_on_trial/
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 31, 2017, 4:19pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from jimgtfc

As for Bridge, he looked incredibly rusty when he came on. I'm guessing he's not played much football recently though.

Agree at least he was not overweight so should not take him long to catch up,

Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 31, 2017, 6:01pm; Reply: 31
Will do a job until Clifton is available.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 31, 2017, 7:16pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Les Brechin

You are right. A win would have given them automatic promotion (not the title) but in the end they finished 4th but they went up via the play-offs anyway. They then went on to win the League One title the following season so you'd have thought that they'd have forgiven us for playing short in that last game.

Of course, they would've had a better chance of winning that game if someone in the away end hadn't started a rumour that Swansea had conceded at Bury. The away end erupted and Southend were happy with their point for a few minutes!

(Useless fact: Swansea's winner that day was scored by A.Forbes)
Posted by: stevethefish, July 31, 2017, 7:49pm; Reply: 33
http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/15443934.Blues_midfielder_Bridge_plays_for_Grimsby_on_trial/?ref=mrb&lp=14

Looks like down here is Essex, Phil Brown wants him to move to us.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 31, 2017, 8:01pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

i'm all for local lads coming through, but if this lad is better, its a no brainer...

Think that requires a suspension of belief.  ;)

Have to laugh at those links to their forum calling us tinpot. I don't really mind being called tinpot by much bigger clubs, but Southend? Shrimp pot anyone?

I remember not so long ago that Hartlepool fans said the same. Say no more...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 31, 2017, 11:02pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from jimgtfc
Was it not the game that we beat them 4-0 last game of the season and relegated them? Or maybe that was before then...

Not quite. We both went down, despite us winning 4-0 and that fox running round the pitch. 1997.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 31, 2017, 11:04pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from ginnywings

Think that requires a suspension of belief.  ;)

Have to laugh at those links to their forum calling us tinpot. I don't really mind being called tinpot by much bigger clubs, but Southend? Shrimp pot anyone?

I remember not so long ago that Hartlepool fans said the same. Say no more...

Faaaaackin'ell! That banch of farkin tossahs from Essex callin as tinpot.They're avin a laaarrrrf inthey.

Oi oi saveloy!
Posted by: Meza, July 31, 2017, 11:10pm; Reply: 37
No they are just peed off because Brothers Grimsby was filmed in Tilbury  and wasn't named Brothers Southend lol.
Posted by: GyMariner, July 31, 2017, 11:12pm; Reply: 38
Bournemouth saw something in him last year to offer a trial, theres potential.
Posted by: jimgtfc, August 1, 2017, 6:41am; Reply: 39
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not quite. We both went down, despite us winning 4-0 and that fox running round the pitch. 1997.

That's the one.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 1, 2017, 6:46am; Reply: 40
Quoted from GyMariner
Bournemouth saw something in him last year to offer a trial, theres potential.

Or his agent is very persistent?
Posted by: LH, August 1, 2017, 7:41am; Reply: 41
That season we won 4-0 on the last day and still went down was my first season as a season ticket holder. It really set the tone for what following Town until now would be like.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 2, 2017, 7:22pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from LH
That season we won 4-0 on the last day and still went down was my first season as a season ticket holder. It really set the tone for what following Town until now would be like.

Don't forget the Second-Coming the following season.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 5:48am