Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, July 28, 2017, 8:54pm
Matt dean says joining barrow? Surely not? He's looked really good in pre season and we have very few strikers as it is
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 28, 2017, 8:55pm; Reply: 1
To Barrow on a permanent deal
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, July 28, 2017, 8:57pm; Reply: 2
RS must have a striker lined up
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 28, 2017, 8:58pm; Reply: 3
Tyler Walker
Posted by: golfer, July 28, 2017, 9:01pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Tyler Walker

100%
Posted by: mariner91, July 28, 2017, 9:03pm; Reply: 5
Complete guesswork but Yussuf out with Walker and Rollins coming in. Tyler Walker probably the striker we've been keeping number 9 for and Rollins to be a direct replacement for Yussuf as he can play both up front and out wide. Slade hasn't seemed keen on Yussuf either last season or in the friendlies and I would imagine Rollins may well be a cheaper alternative to free up money elsewhere
Posted by: totalidiot, July 28, 2017, 9:05pm; Reply: 6
IF there is any truth in this and slade thinks he can get someone better suited to the system,then that's fine by me.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 28, 2017, 9:09pm; Reply: 7
Completely agree. Hopefully all sorted tomorrow...
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, July 28, 2017, 9:10pm; Reply: 8
[tweet]891023273307381761[/tweet]
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 28, 2017, 9:12pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt
[tweet]891023273307381761/[tweet]

Did not work mate ????????
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, July 28, 2017, 9:13pm; Reply: 10
Fat fingers :)
Posted by: Mariners_15, July 28, 2017, 9:14pm; Reply: 11
Makes sense, sounded at the time like Bignot signed him after Mickey Moore recommended him, the same Mickey Moore whose just linked up with Cox again at Barrow. Not too fussed, apparently he's looked a bit better pre season but excluding the first couple of games when he scored he didn't look upto it to me..
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 28, 2017, 9:15pm; Reply: 12
[tweet]891023273307381761[/tweet]

Cheers got that  :)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 28, 2017, 9:17pm; Reply: 13
Honestly don't know what to think anymore.
Posted by: Sigone, July 28, 2017, 9:20pm; Reply: 14
Might mean a deal for Max Wright too I hope
Posted by: Hagrid, July 28, 2017, 9:21pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Sigone
Might mean a deal for Max Wright too I hope

No offence but why?
Posted by: Sigone, July 28, 2017, 9:24pm; Reply: 16
We want our youngsters to be given a chance, this could be his chance..Yussuf was never going to be used in a sole striking role, only out wide which is where Max plays. Not saying Max is a starter, but somewhere along the line, 1 or 2 of our young kids have to be given a chance in the first team or else whats the point,
Posted by: golfer, July 28, 2017, 9:28pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from mariner91
Complete guesswork but Yussuf out with Walker and Rollins coming in. Tyler Walker probably the striker we've been keeping number 9 for and Rollins to be a direct replacement for Yussuf as he can play both up front and out wide. Slade hasn't seemed keen on Yussuf either last season or in the friendlies and I would imagine Rollins may well be a cheaper alternative to free up money elsewhere

100% again
Posted by: BeijingMariner, July 28, 2017, 9:29pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Sigone
We want our youngsters to be given a chance, this could be his chance..Yussuf was never going to be used in a sole striking role, only out wide which is where Max plays. Not saying Max is a starter, but somewhere along the line, 1 or 2 of our young kids have to be given a chance in the first team or else whats the point,

i thought he was outstandingly good at the winterton game
Posted by: Sigone, July 28, 2017, 9:33pm; Reply: 19
He was especially when he got moved further forward into his proper position.  The left back marking him asked the ref how long to go, when he got told 14 mins his response was an exasperated "FFS".  ;D
Posted by: Tommy, July 28, 2017, 9:36pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Sigone

Here here.

Have to remember not everyone is a "Wayne Rooney" ready to go into the first team at 17/18. Many players are still developing at that age (technically, physically, psychologically) until about 20/21.

It's worth us persevering with some young players we see potential in. Especially when next season the rule comes in where you have to have an academy graduate in your squad of 18 otherwise you can only name 6 subs. (The season after that you have to name 2 or lose 2 of your substitute places).
Posted by: BeijingMariner, July 28, 2017, 9:38pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Sigone
He was especially when he got moved further forward into his proper position.  The left back marking him asked the ref how long to go, when he got told 14 mins his response was an exasperated "FFS".  ;D

i heard the "FFS" but not the first bit, brilliant. He went at their defenders hammer and tongs, absolutely no fear and turned them more than once. great stuff.
Posted by: Perkins, July 28, 2017, 9:59pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Hagrid

No offence but why?

WHY ? Because he's ours, because he's talented, because he's got more bottle than most other kids of his age I've seen at BP for years, he was told by RS to show him what he could do to earn a contract, he's played in nearly every position but his own so far and never let himself or anyone down , he's certainly shown he's worth a deal as far as I'm concerned. Probably only a bencher this season but worth a deal. .
That's why.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 28, 2017, 10:04pm; Reply: 23
Dont see it myself. Yeah everyone wants the youth to do well, including me, but if playing well against winterton means you think he's worthy of a contract then think you're barking mad. Not made an appearance in any of the games in the south, Think he got 5 mins against barnsley or blackburn. If slade thought he was good enough, he'd have played a part
Posted by: Sigone, July 28, 2017, 10:09pm; Reply: 24
In the games he has played so far, he has only played 20 mins in his proper position.  I think we would all be doubting danny collins if he was playing on the wing or up front.  Mind you that didn't stop mick lyons from doing that did it oops  ;D
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 28, 2017, 10:17pm; Reply: 25
Sladey needs to give him a go at centre back before we know if he's any good .
Posted by: Perkins, July 28, 2017, 10:30pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Hagrid
Dont see it myself. Yeah everyone wants the youth to do well, including me, but if playing well against winterton means you think he's worthy of a contract then think you're barking mad. Not made an appearance in any of the games in the south, Think he got 5 mins against barnsley or blackburn. If slade thought he was good enough, he'd have played a part

He probably would have played more of a part if RS hadn't been playing loads of trialists that don't impress and concentrate on his own players that do. I'm not basing him on the Winterton game alone, I'm basing him what I've seen when he's played in all games since he's been with us, ressies,  friendlies etc...
Posted by: AndyGTFC, July 28, 2017, 11:41pm; Reply: 27
Shame but based on pre-season we're planning on playing something along the lines of the 4-2-3-1 that a lot of top flight sides play with Dembele/Jones behind a big striker so he's not gonna get much of a look in.

Could be wrong of course but makes sense with only Vernon, Cardwell and Asante left. Can then maybe bring Jay Rollins in for a natural winger who can play up front if we need a change.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 29, 2017, 12:31am; Reply: 28
We can all argue about the rights or wrongs, but 1 fact remains. If it happens barrow have got themselves a quality signing
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 29, 2017, 1:50am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
If Yussuf hadn't scored that goal at Hartlepool, they would of stayed up lol.  ;D

No, Hartlepool would have been relegated by 1 point instead of 2.

Posted by: Davec, July 29, 2017, 7:06am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
I thought they got relegated by just one point, just checked back and it was two. Nevermind it was the goal difference that was just one point, that will teach me to post without double checking lol. (unsure)

Most unlike you Nelly, your research is normally very good.
Posted by: chaos33, July 29, 2017, 9:02am; Reply: 31
We were a striker short at least anyway and now we are 2 short, particularly someone with real quality. Until this is rectified i'll be a bit concerned, and this is to say nothing of the fact that we probably now need another centre mid and two left backs.

I like the management team and trust them completely but I'm a bit uneasy.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, July 29, 2017, 9:34am; Reply: 32
If Yussuf has gone we must have another striker signed. Im sure this lad will have a good career in the future. Great potential. Good luck to him. Lets see who the management have signed who is better
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, July 29, 2017, 9:47am; Reply: 33
Fat fingers :)

Fat bottom
Posted by: Hagrid, July 29, 2017, 11:39am; Reply: 34
And then we get comments like this. Minority of our fans just dont have a clue https://mobile.twitter.com/KieranRiley123/status/891054315955261449
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 29, 2017, 11:43am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Hagrid
And then we get comments like this. Minority of our fans just dont have a clue https://mobile.twitter.com/KieranRiley123/status/891054315955261449

Bit of an excessive view from the guy but if he does not improve on last season he will have been a waste of a wage.
Posted by: wiggers, July 29, 2017, 11:52am; Reply: 36
Totally underwhelmed by the transfer business conducted by us so far. Was really optimistic when RS arrived and thought he would be able to attract some quality signings due to his management pedigree. How wrong I was  :-/
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 29, 2017, 11:56am; Reply: 37
He's not a great loss for me. Pleased to see us shift him from the wage bill. Expect better to come in.
Posted by: mariner91, July 29, 2017, 12:00pm; Reply: 38
Signing alert on Twitter.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, July 29, 2017, 12:30pm; Reply: 39
D...D...D...D...Dixon
Posted by: gtfcmd, July 29, 2017, 1:59pm; Reply: 40
as it been confirmed yussuf has gone ??
Posted by: Hagrid, July 29, 2017, 2:02pm; Reply: 41
Yep by GTFC
Posted by: gtfcmd, July 29, 2017, 2:02pm; Reply: 42
thank just seen it
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 29, 2017, 2:47pm; Reply: 43
The lad is a bit player and he probably will be at Barrow too. That's OK but you can't just keep on and on with bit players. If you had a good striker and he's injured for a few games would you honestly want to put your faith in Yussuf as a replacement or would you be wanting the manager to find someone better on loan? I think that is the problem that Slade inherited. Too many jobbing players good enough to be a short term substitute but not quite good enough to be a regular.
Posted by: gtfcmd, July 29, 2017, 3:33pm; Reply: 44
https://twitter.com/BarrowAFC/status/891300885090979840
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 29, 2017, 4:28pm; Reply: 45
Sladeball never gave him a chance so we will never know, seems to score goals though.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 29, 2017, 5:01pm; Reply: 46
To be honest Yussuf did not look anything special last season think we have done well to get rid and make room for better.
Posted by: gtfcmd, July 29, 2017, 5:33pm; Reply: 47
must be a fairly decent player in mind or they wouldnt of let him go
Posted by: Mariner93er, July 29, 2017, 5:35pm; Reply: 48
Apparently someone with good pedigree at this level. Not sure who that could be, but revell seems to fit the Bill, having played under slade before too.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, July 29, 2017, 5:57pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Mariner93er
Apparently someone with good pedigree at this level. Not sure who that could be, but revell seems to fit the Bill, having played under slade before too.

Id be happy with that. Got a decent scoring record, very experienced and can play that lone frontman role very well.

I'd have thought he'd have gone for someone different to what we already have though. Someone that is fast and mobile- perhaps Assante can be that man though. Does anybody know when he's due back?
Posted by: Henryscat, July 29, 2017, 7:56pm; Reply: 50
Scored for barrow today
Posted by: Mariner93er, July 29, 2017, 11:01pm; Reply: 51
Apparently they're hoping he'll be back in september. Beyond revell, I'm not sure who else it can be.
Posted by: RichMariner, July 30, 2017, 2:15am; Reply: 52
Easy to say now but I felt it would end like this.

Yussuf seemed a fairly unnecessary signing, just like Maxwell was on loan. We didn't need him, and of course Bignot struggled to play him because he signed so many other players, like Asante and Jones, who played up front with Vernon after Bogle left.

I appreciated his efforts while he was here but it only ever felt like a temporary signing. I believe he signed an 18-month deal though. Always thought he'd move on because I got the feeling Slade didn't have him in his plans.

Sadly it's only when he leaves that Fishy posters finally learn to spell his name right. I've seen Youssuf, Yousuf, Yussef and Yusuf over these last few months!
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, July 30, 2017, 10:13am; Reply: 53
Quoted from RichMariner

Yussuf seemed a fairly unnecessary signing, just like Maxwell was on loan. We didn't need him, and of course Bignot struggled to play him because he signed so many other players, like Asante and Jones, who played up front with Vernon after Bogle left.

I appreciated his efforts while he was here but it only ever felt like a temporary signing. I believe he signed an 18-month deal though. Always thought he'd move on because I got the feeling Slade didn't have him in his plans.

Sadly it's only when he leaves that Fishy posters finally learn to spell his name right. I've seen Youssuf, Yousuf, Yussef and Yusuf over these last few months!

And this seems to be have bothered you somewhat!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 30, 2017, 10:18am; Reply: 54
Quoted from RichMariner

How many Bignot signings did we actually need?
Posted by: Mariner_09, July 30, 2017, 10:36am; Reply: 55
I reckon we only needed 2 of them. Jones and Osborne. Dyson was no better than Vernon, Clements is ok but I would debate that he was any better than Summerfield or Berrett (get your red crosses out). Asante may be a very good acquisition he just needs to stay fit. Maxwell and Yussuf were 2 utterly pointless signings and Gunning I don't know where to start.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 30, 2017, 10:47am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Mariner_09
I reckon we only needed 2 of them. Jones and Osborne. Dyson was no better than Vernon, Clements is ok but I would debate that he was any better than Summerfield or Berrett (get your red crosses out). Asante may be a very good acquisition he just needs to stay fit. Maxwell and Yussuf were 2 utterly pointless signings and Gunning I don't know where to start.

Osborne definitely, Jones did well but has actually looked very average in the 2 pre season games I've seen but will come good. Asante the snippets we saw looked decent but I'll be amazed if we get 20 games out of him this term, the rest? Self indulgent "one for the future" purchases that p1ssed away a chunk of the Omar money.  
Posted by: mariner2000, July 30, 2017, 1:36pm; Reply: 57
Is Tyler Walker really the answer?  Is he the best we can get.  Doesn't inspire me as being the answer, just another kid learning his trade.

Suggestion is that there are some more experienced named in the frame...
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 30, 2017, 2:15pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How many Bignot signings did we actually need?

Same could be said of any manager.  Personally I thought on balance his recruitment was good, much better than the general standard of players recruited by Hurst in the last preseason.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 30, 2017, 2:50pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Same could be said of any manager.  Personally I thought on balance his recruitment was good, much better than the general standard of players recruited by Hurst in the last preseason.

I guess it could, well of any manager who brought in as many players as Bignot did when there was already a relatively competent squad. Re quality the difference was Bignot had money, a little at the start of the window due to good attendances and a lot more once the Omar deal was done. If you look at Henderson, Andrew, Mills, Collins they where definite good additions by Hurst but not sure why we signed Berret and Summerfield but I'm still bemused why we signed Asante (poor injury record) Maxwell, Gunning, Youseff and Clements.        
Posted by: mariner91, July 30, 2017, 3:09pm; Reply: 60
What's wrong with Clements? He's not a bad player at all.
Posted by: somersetmariner, July 30, 2017, 3:22pm; Reply: 61
Berett is gonna nail it this season
Posted by: ginnywings, July 30, 2017, 3:45pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I guess it could, well of any manager who brought in as many players as Bignot did when there was already a relatively competent squad. Re quality the difference was Bignot had money, a little at the start of the window due to good attendances and a lot more once the Omar deal was done. If you look at Henderson, Andrew, Mills, Collins they where definite good additions by Hurst but not sure why we signed Berret and Summerfield but I'm still bemused why we signed Asante (poor injury record) Maxwell, Gunning, Youseff and Clements.        

Only that's not true because Bogle went about 2 hours before the window shut and the feeling was that he wouldn't be sold until the end of the season. It may have allowed us to offer more to Gateshead for Jones, but that was a very shrewd signing, so well worth whatever we paid for him.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 30, 2017, 4:48pm; Reply: 63
Clearly Omar, His agent, GTFC, Wigan, Leeds and possibly a few others didn't share that feeling.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 12:32pm