Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 25, 2017, 11:10am
According to GTFC Twitter, Jamil Roberts and Karleigh Osborne will play tonight.  The tweet said 3 trialists would play, but did not name the third.
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 25, 2017, 11:16am; Reply: 1
Jordan Mustoe. He also trialed in Devon
Posted by: Hagrid, July 25, 2017, 11:19am; Reply: 2
no mention of Kamil, i assume that would mean he wont be signing?
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 25, 2017, 11:25am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Hagrid
no mention of Kamil, i assume that would mean he wont be signing?

I could have sworn he was in those Devon pics but he never played in those games. Did we leave him in the Services or something?
Posted by: BPMariner, July 25, 2017, 12:05pm; Reply: 4
I see we've got match betting tonight to :) https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2017/july/match-preview-for-blackburn-rovers
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 25, 2017, 12:35pm; Reply: 5
Not trialist related but I see Sean McAllister is injured again, lad has bad luck but in all seriousness how much more can he or the club take before it's just not working out ?

He has another year were he will probably be paid for nowt .
Posted by: ginnywings, July 25, 2017, 1:09pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Not trialist related but I see Sean McAllister is injured again, lad has bad luck but in all seriousness how much more can he or the club take before it's just not working out ?

He has another year were he will probably be paid for nowt .

He has a 2 year contract and is injured, which is part and parcel of football.

"Sorry Sean, but we are sacking you and not honouring the contract because you are injured and it's not working out. We just can't take any more"

Not a lot we can do about it is there?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 25, 2017, 1:31pm; Reply: 7
Ginny I didnt  say sack him , I said when does there become a point where he and to an extent us realise what we are or are not doing is just not working out for both parties .

You see players at clubs were it just hasn't worked because of injury and they reach an agreement to part ways.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), July 25, 2017, 1:59pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Ginny I didnt  say sack him , I said when does there become a point where he and to an extent us realise what we are or are not doing is just not working out for both parties .

You see players at clubs were it just hasn't worked because of injury and they reach an agreement to part ways.

As in pay him off? I doubt he would accept any less than his contract value as I don't see him getting fixed up with a club in the near future. Frustrating for both parties.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 25, 2017, 3:57pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Usually when the insurance runs out.

Posted by: golfer, July 25, 2017, 6:32pm; Reply: 10
If he was a horse he would be sent to stud-we could always ask him if he would prefer this option :)
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 25, 2017, 6:51pm; Reply: 11
No Dixon in the starting line-up or the subs for tonights game, guess he won't be joining us then!
Posted by: mariner91, July 25, 2017, 7:29pm; Reply: 12
Jamey Osborne in a leg brace according to JT on Twitter, bad news.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 25, 2017, 7:41pm; Reply: 13
On the GTFC Match Centre page it gives.....

32 Wright
33 Roberts
3 Mustoe
14 Osbourne K

Does this mean all four have signed ?
Posted by: TAGG, July 25, 2017, 7:45pm; Reply: 14
Any one know the line up please????
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 25, 2017, 7:46pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from TAGG
Any one know the line up please????

GTFC Starting XI: McKeown, Mills, Collins, Clarke, Mustoe, Berrett, M. Rose, Kelly, Dembele, Jones, Vernon.
Posted by: TAGG, July 25, 2017, 7:49pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

GTFC Starting XI: McKeown, Mills, Collins, Clarke, Mustoe, Berrett, M. Rose, Kelly, Dembele, Jones, Vernon.

Cheers mate👍🏻
Posted by: ginnywings, July 25, 2017, 8:01pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Yeah, fair enough, but i doubt we'll be paying him off with a year of his contract to go still. Besides, i think RS said it wasn't too bad an injury. We signed Andrew last season after a long bout of injury and he played every minute.
Posted by: Davec, July 26, 2017, 8:03am; Reply: 18
Mustoe played 81 minutes and Roberts only played 9, that would seem to me that if any of them sign it will be Mustoe rather than Roberts?
Posted by: Davec, July 26, 2017, 8:03am; Reply: 19
Mustoe played 81 minutes and Roberts only played 9, that would seem to me that if any of them sign it will be Mustoe rather than Roberts?
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 26, 2017, 8:49am; Reply: 20
How did Mustoe play?   I know it doesn't necessarily tell the whole story but his career stats look massively underwhelming for a 26 year old.

What's going on is there a natational shortage of left backs or something, perhaps Dixon will sign in the next few days, otherwise it's a case of get anyone in that we can which is disappointing.
Posted by: Maringer, July 26, 2017, 8:54am; Reply: 21
I thought he looked pretty solid. Didn't exactly bomb on too much but looked comfortable on the ball, reasonable in the air and wasn't slow. Very similar to Dixon in that respect so I'd be happy enough for us to sign him. He certainly looked more confident than I'd expect from a player who hasn't played too often at this stage of his career.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 26, 2017, 8:57am; Reply: 22
Signings and trialists apart from dembele all just seem a bit flat for me.

I got to be honest and say I was expecting more from big Russ , that we are playing Vernon upfront on his own a week before the season starts is proof In itself .
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 26, 2017, 9:03am; Reply: 23
Mustoe looked solid enough and would be happy if we signed either him or dixon - Very Similar.

Karleigh Osbourne has signed already but looks fast and physical so offers something different to Clarke and Collins

Roberts - Unfortunately in the 2 appearances i've seen him doesnt look good enough and is too lightweight.

Any news on Brandon Robinson, looked quite promising but seems the management weren't as impressed
Posted by: golfer, July 26, 2017, 9:22am; Reply: 24
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Signings and trialists apart from dembele all just seem a bit flat for me.

I got to be honest and say I was expecting more from big Russ , that we are playing Vernon upfront on his own a week before the season starts is proof In itself .

Still  weak up front with Vernon seemingly the main striker. Thought we would have concentrated more in this department. The other strikers seem to be still learning their trade. Would prefer Sommerfield to be given more of a chance instead of Berrett-rest of team seem O.K. but agree with jonnyboy that signings haven't set the world on fire-although several have been signed with the future in mind.
Posted by: Maringer, July 26, 2017, 9:58am; Reply: 25
I thought Summerfield was pretty poor when he came on last night. Very jittery in possession and gave the ball away no end of times. I don't think he'll play too much of a part this season, injuries permitting.
Posted by: sam gy, July 26, 2017, 10:37am; Reply: 26
We’re a league 2 team…how could any of our signings ‘set the world on fire’?

Wouldn’t exactly class Vernon as a striker, more of a forward, who brings a fair amount to the team with his experience up top. Obviously he’s expected to chip in with goals but that’s not the primary reason he’s selected. We’ve had loads of them: Livvo, Rees, Nogan, Woods…..none of these players were prolific goalscorers.
Posted by: oldun, July 26, 2017, 11:36am; Reply: 27
Vernon is fitter and more mobile this time round but we need others to get up there and play off him. Too often he was isolated but his work rate was very good.
Posted by: Perkins, July 26, 2017, 4:41pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from oldun
Vernon is fitter and more mobile this time round but we need others to get up there and play off him. Too often he was isolated but his work rate was very good.

Agree, Vernon ran and chased all night till he was subbed, but its no good playing one up front if there's no support for him. he holds the ball up well, but he cant hold it up forever, especially when there's no town player within twenty yards.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 26, 2017, 4:53pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Perkins

Agree, Vernon ran and chased all night till he was subbed, but its no good playing one up front if there's no support for him. he holds the ball up well, but he cant hold it up forever, especially when there's no town player within twenty yards.

It did appear that we were set up to play in an away from home style.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 12:00am