Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 23, 2017, 8:02pm
Big Town flag behind the England goal ;D
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 23, 2017, 8:05pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from arryarryarry
Big Town flag behind the England goal ;D

Yeah, my wife spotted it.
England should be 2 up, magnificent headed goal given offside when the England player was clearly level  :-/

Posted by: Abdul19, July 23, 2017, 8:43pm; Reply: 2
Head looked offside to me!
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 23, 2017, 9:42pm; Reply: 3

FT   England  2-0  Spain........the England women's football team on the verge of reaching the UEFA Women's Euro 2017 knockout stage, also on the day the England women's cricket team win the ICC World Cup.
Posted by: lukeo, July 23, 2017, 10:15pm; Reply: 4
I watched the first half, Spain where class on the ball with slick passing but couldn't get anywhere near Englands goal.. Missed second half, exactly result!
Posted by: psgmariner, July 24, 2017, 11:06am; Reply: 5
England football (both men and women) is in fine health at the moment. Some great victories at various levels.

Nobody will agree but well done to the FA. It's working.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 24, 2017, 11:21am; Reply: 6
Quoted from psgmariner
England football (both men and women) is in fine health at the moment. Some great victories at various levels.

Nobody will agree but well done to the FA. It's working.

I'd agree with the younger players and ladies doing well, but will we ever see the senior men's team do anything of note?
Posted by: RichMariner, July 24, 2017, 1:19pm; Reply: 7
I always feel like there's a limit to what the FA (or anyone who isn't a player) can actually do.

You can have the best facilities, the best coaches and the best people coaching the coaches, but ultimately it's about sending 11 players out on a pitch to win a match in 90 minutes.

The only people who can control those moments are the players themselves. Each of them is an individual human, capable of making decisions, doing brilliant things and making mistakes.

They're not robots, so nothing in sport can be guaranteed (unless you worked in FIFA). There are upsets, shocks, comebacks... it's why we love it.

We've long suspected the success of the men's England team is down to mentality. We could have the best psychologists in the world but they can't be out there with the players.

There will always be a bit of sport that's in the lap of the gods. We may never win anything because we just don't get the breaks or the luck when we need it.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 24, 2017, 1:26pm; Reply: 8
Current team is just a bang average group of players but the younger age groups look to have more about them so fingers crossed in 5-10 years the mens team can start replicating the success of the yoofs.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 24, 2017, 1:45pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from psgmariner
Current team is just a bang average group of players but the younger age groups look to have more about them so fingers crossed in 5-10 years the mens team can start replicating the success of the yoofs.

The same thing we've been hearing for years. There's a great group of players on the way and we'll be successful in the future, only we never are. We always seem to be building to some distant tournament, all the while, the French, Spanish, Italians and mostly the Germans keep winning all the silverware.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 24, 2017, 2:12pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from ginnywings

The same thing we've been hearing for years. There's a great group of players on the way and we'll be successful in the future, only we never are. We always seem to be building to some distant tournament, all the while, the French, Spanish, Italians and mostly the Germans keep winning all the silverware.

Fair point. It's the hope that kills you....
Posted by: Mariner93er, July 24, 2017, 2:23pm; Reply: 11
In reality, how many of these young players are anyway near their teams first team, or are likely to get the opportunity within the next few years. I'd imagine very few. When you compare it to Germany, were their manager recently said he had 50 players to chose from for his squad, the majority of whom will have been given their opportunity early, you realise that our first team doesn't stand a chance.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 24, 2017, 3:42pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Mariner93er
In reality, how many of these young players are anyway near their teams first team, or are likely to get the opportunity within the next few years. I'd imagine very few. When you compare it to Germany, were their manager recently said he had 50 players to chose from for his squad, the majority of whom will have been given their opportunity early, you realise that our first team doesn't stand a chance.

Exactly. The Prem has so much money and so little patience, that instead of giving young talent game time, they just go out and buy someone instead, making the whole youth system near enough pointless. I noticed a young English lad playing for Man City the other day in a friendly against Man Utd and his squad number was 80. He's going to get nowhere near the first team is he?
Posted by: moosey_club, July 24, 2017, 8:59pm; Reply: 13
the English women team were miles behind the Spanish ladies on a technical and skill level, yes we won but the English womens skill and ability was way below the Spanish side who played almost copy cat to their male counterparts, all comfortable on the ball, all able to control it, 360 degree vision....they just didnt have a striker to finish it off....we were dogged, defensive and hard working but shocking on the ball and unable to maintain possession,largely a big lump from the back into the channel.
Goals win games admittedly but as a spectacle their was only one side impressing with football.

Posted by: monkeyboy, July 25, 2017, 9:00am; Reply: 14
They didnt play well and still won, sign of a good team they say.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 25, 2017, 5:44pm; Reply: 15
Regarding the mens  inability to win a tournament ,

In 1966  you could count on your fingers how many non British players there were playing in England,

Now you can count on your fingers how many English players play in the top league.

Things will not change in my life time,

BUT

At least I saw us win the world cup in 1966  8)
Posted by: moosey_club, July 25, 2017, 9:25pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from grimsby pete
Regarding the mens  inability to win a tournament ,

In 1966  you could count on your fingers how many non British players there were playing in England,

Now you can count on your fingers how many English players play in the top league.

Things will not change in my life time,

BUT

At least I saw us win the world cup in 1966  8)

Maybe if you are from Boston Pete.  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 30, 2017, 8:32pm; Reply: 17

Anyone watching ?

HT...   England  0-0  France

Germany and Spain eliminated today so a big chance to win the tournament assuming we can defeat France in a major tournament for the first time.

England Women v France Women
UEFA Women's EURO 2017 Quarter-Final

Channel 4 / Channel 4 HD / Eurosport 2 / Eurosport 2 HD
Posted by: lukeo, July 30, 2017, 8:36pm; Reply: 18
I've watched the first half, a bit of pace and get the ball out wide they can win this... Sadly I don't wear the trousers in my family so I'll miss the last half an hour to fffffjuuccmkinggg love island
Posted by: Fat Cobra, July 30, 2017, 8:44pm; Reply: 19
Non football
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 30, 2017, 8:58pm; Reply: 20
Noticed in the first half one of our players had the ball with a French player chasing her, quite clearly a shout went up of "man on" just wondering in these PC correct days if this was the proper thing to shout, or has anybody any better suggestions
Posted by: UTMariners, July 30, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 21
Get in!
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 30, 2017, 9:05pm; Reply: 22
Anyone reckon this Jodie Taylor could do a job for Town next season. We're getting a bit desperate for a new striker.  ;D
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 30, 2017, 9:36pm; Reply: 23

FT   England  1-0  France

Well done to the England women.

Semi-final against the hosts Holland on Thursday then.
Posted by: UTMariners, July 30, 2017, 9:37pm; Reply: 24
Great work ladies! Looking forward to the semi final..!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 30, 2017, 9:45pm; Reply: 25
Well done women.

There's gonna be even more washing up when they get back!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 30, 2017, 10:01pm; Reply: 26
Ginny, at least Spain, Germany, Italy and France are all out of the Euro 2017 Womens's football tournament.
And all before the last 4 play.
Posted by: golfer, July 31, 2017, 7:50am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Fat Cobra
Non football

You women hating chauvinistic pig. I suppose you think men are better footballers than women and men footballers have a right to earn more-and women should just be employed to wash the shirts and play netball or hockey  [I'm not calling you FC but that's what my missus called me last night when I wanted Love Island on ] :)
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), July 31, 2017, 8:14am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Gaffer58
Noticed in the first half one of our players had the ball with a French player chasing her, quite clearly a shout went up of "man on" just wondering in these PC correct days if this was the proper thing to shout, or has anybody any better suggestions

I coach elite level female footballers on the FA England Talent Pathway for girls. I can tell you that even girls as young as under 10's shout "man on". Still makes me chuckle even now
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 31, 2017, 11:40am; Reply: 29
Quoted from moosey_club
the English women team were miles behind the Spanish ladies on a technical and skill level, yes we won but the English womens skill and ability was way below the Spanish side who played almost copy cat to their male counterparts, all comfortable on the ball, all able to control it, 360 degree vision....they just didnt have a striker to finish it off....we were dogged, defensive and hard working but shocking on the ball and unable to maintain possession,largely a big lump from the back into the channel.
Goals win games admittedly but as a spectacle their was only one side impressing with football.

The aim of any game is to win. They won.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 6:57am