Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 21, 2017, 9:53am
I have just finished a book written by Harry Redknapp called Always Managing.  It's a very good read and gives you a glimpse as to what goes on at a Football club from the inside.  I recommend it to all Fishy members especially to see what can affect transfers and also see how one player can effectively run the dressing room, and not in a good way.  There are many interesting snippets that will open your eyes into the running of a club.  Go on, have a read!
Posted by: moosey_club, July 21, 2017, 10:25am; Reply: 1
Wouldnt put a penny in that dodgy geezers pocket.
Posted by: jaygy, July 21, 2017, 10:33am; Reply: 2
I was looking to buy that one next, just finished both of Roy Keanes books and before that I read Keith Gillespies which was excellent! Moving onto Jamie Vardys next.

I really like the sort of books that give you an insight into lower league clubs and footballers if anyone has any recommendations? I have read Buckley, Macca and Chris Hargreaves which were all a great read
Posted by: Abdul19, July 21, 2017, 11:26am; Reply: 3
Quoted from jaygy

I really like the sort of books that give you an insight into lower league clubs and footballers if anyone has any recommendations? I have read Buckley, Macca and Chris Hargreaves which were all a great read

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeyman-odyssey-through-leagues-football/dp/1849548544

This is supposed to be very good, keep meaning to read it myself.
Posted by: Tradjazz, July 21, 2017, 12:37pm; Reply: 4
Don't rush. It will be a pound soon at a charity shop near you.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 21, 2017, 12:53pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from moosey_club
Wouldnt put a penny in that dodgy geezers pocket.

No problem moosey. All the proceeds are going into the account of their cat Jim.

Apparently not even he is stupid enough to put it in Rosie the dogs name again 😊
Posted by: Cloudy, July 21, 2017, 1:29pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Abdul19

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Journeyman-odyssey-through-leagues-football/dp/1849548544

This is supposed to be very good, keep meaning to read it myself.

Just read it myself. Not fantastic but an insight into Steve Evans' management style is interesting even if it leaves you thinking how on Earth he and Raynor have been successful.
Posted by: golfer, July 21, 2017, 2:05pm; Reply: 7
Another good book is  "The Snake in the Bunker"-can't remember who wrote it but supposed to be the "Book of the Year"-£19-99 at all good book shops. All proceeds go to the FC/G charity.
Posted by: benny1618, July 21, 2017, 5:00pm; Reply: 8
The smell of football by ex player and physio Mick Rathbone is a great read, some really interesting moments about his involvement with Halfax in troubled times.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 21, 2017, 6:58pm; Reply: 9
Many years ago I read a book written by an ex Lincoln City player,

Sorry I can not remember his name or who the manager was at the time,

BUT

I do remember this    " he said the manager was really strict and the players had to obey his every instruction, one game they were playing away at a top team and he instructed them to keep it tight and play the safe ball all the time, after about 80 mins if it still was 0-0 then and only then should they go forward and try and score the winner,
Well as it happened after about 2 minutes the said player got the ball just inside his own half, he moved forward and the opponents just kept backing off, I nearly got to the penalty area without anybody making a challenge and with no one supporting me I thought I would have a shot,
Yes you guessed it I scored !!!!!!!!!
The boss went mad at me and at half time he shouted at me in full voice, why don't you ever do what I tell you and he then subbed me."

True story  ;D
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 22, 2017, 7:49am; Reply: 10
Peter Swann ex of Hull/Port Vale I think, wrote a good one about his times in lower leagues and how he would engineer a move every couple of seasons so he could get signing on fees despite being totally crocked (even used a dodgy doctor to give him the injury all clear in one case IIRC)
Posted by: golfer, July 22, 2017, 9:32am; Reply: 11
Quoted from grimsby pete
Many years ago I read a book written by an ex Lincoln City player,

Sorry I can not remember his name or who the manager was at the time,

BUT

I do remember this    " he said the manager was really strict and the players had to obey his every instruction, one game they were playing away at a top team and he instructed them to keep it tight and play the safe ball all the time, after about 80 mins if it still was 0-0 then and only then should they go forward and try and score the winner,
Well as it happened after about 2 minutes the said player got the ball just inside his own half, he moved forward and the opponents just kept backing off, I nearly got to the penalty area without anybody making a challenge and with no one supporting me I thought I would have a shot,
Yes you guessed it I scored !!!!!!!!!
The boss went mad at me and at half time he shouted at me in full voice, why don't you ever do what I tell you and he then subbed me."

True story  ;D

I read the same book Pete-didn't he get killed in a helicopter crash at the" Battle of Waterloo". I think there is a statue in remembrance on the concourse to the station.
Posted by: Perkins, July 22, 2017, 6:55pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 123614
I have just finished a book written by Harry Redknapp called Always Managing.  It's a very good read and gives you a glimpse as to what goes on at a Football club from the inside.  I recommend it to all Fishy members especially to see what can affect transfers and also see how one player can effectively run the dressing room, and not in a good way.  There are many interesting snippets that will open your eyes into the running of a club.  Go on, have a read!

I got it out from the library........it was crap.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 23, 2017, 9:49am; Reply: 13
That's your opinion!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 23, 2017, 10:50am; Reply: 14
Quoted from 123614

I read an extensive piece in the paper written by a lady sports journalist who as well as other topics talked about the sexism she had encountered in the games whilst building her career. Though careful of any liable action she clearly sited Harry as one of the nastiest people she had ever had to deal with.

I have read a few sporting autobiographies and most of them are as dull as dish water and published as another way for a player and his agent to make some cash. The one that did stand out for me was the first Tony Adams book when he talks frankly about his alcoholism and the impact it has had on his career, life and family. Not your average retrospective  self serving career review but a fascinating insight into the loneliness of an addict.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 23, 2017, 10:58am; Reply: 15
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I read an extensive piece in the paper written by a lady sports journalist who as well as other topics talked about the sexism she had encountered in the games whilst building her career. Though careful of any liable action she clearly sited Harry as one of the nastiest people she had ever had to deal with.

I have read a few sporting autobiographies and most of them are as dull as dish water and published as another way for a player and his agent to make some cash. The one that did stand out for me was the first Tony Adams book when he talks frankly about his alcoholism and the impact it has had on his career, life and family. Not your average retrospective  self serving career review but a fascinating insight into the loneliness of an addict.

The Adams one was a good one.As you say, different from the run of the mill footballer's memoirs.

Whilst not Earth-shattering in any way, I enjoyed Left Foot Forward by Garry Nelson (ex-Charlton) as a good view on life as a 'lower league' footballer (though a lot covers what is now the Championship). Helped by a few flattering references to Town  ;)
Posted by: lee65, July 23, 2017, 1:51pm; Reply: 16
I agree KM, "Left foot forward" is very good, but I guess too dated for some of our younger Fishy followers (I'm going to say "back in the day" when football WAS football in a minute  ;))
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 23, 2017, 6:55pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from lee65
I agree KM, "Left foot forward" is very good, but I guess too dated for some of our younger Fishy followers (I'm going to say "back in the day" when football WAS football in a minute  ;))

Aye. Them were't' dairs.

Them young whippersnappers could learn a lot.  ;)
Posted by: hampshiremariner, July 23, 2017, 8:40pm; Reply: 18
'Not all black and white" by Macca is not a literary masterpiece but it is very amusing in places and shows how hard it is to start out in football. Should be compulsory reading for kids who have stars in their eyes and think they are going to be professional footballers. It is a very tough, competitive world. Macca was a brilliant one club man and a true professional. Have often wondered why he is not still working for the club in some capacity.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 2:43pm