Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: chelseacity, July 12, 2017, 7:48pm
Which fans from other football clubs don't like us, and why ?
Posted by: Hagrid, July 12, 2017, 7:50pm; Reply: 1
Noone likes grimsby! But we dont care 😏
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 12, 2017, 8:00pm; Reply: 2
Why do you care ?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 12, 2017, 8:02pm; Reply: 3
It's the annual pre season thread merry go round
Posted by: Cloudy, July 12, 2017, 8:08pm; Reply: 4
Barcelona and Estudiantes fans hate us
Posted by: Fat Cobra, July 12, 2017, 8:09pm; Reply: 5
Vauxhall motors, because we export Opels. Weird bunch they are.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 12, 2017, 8:11pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Fat Cobra

They certainly are weird. They're the same make.  ;)
Posted by: golfer, July 12, 2017, 8:14pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Fat Cobra

Fruits ?
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 12, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 8
Gauging some of the post even Grimsby Fans don't like Grimsby fans.
Posted by: wigworld, July 12, 2017, 9:14pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from golfer

Fruits ?

Some of them, but we're not allowed to talk about that or the PC brigade will tell us off.  ;)

Posted by: Kris2, July 12, 2017, 9:28pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from friskneymariner
Gauging some of the post even Grimsby Fans don't like Grimsby fans.

Just the ones who still seem to think we're a championship club and above every league we play in.
Posted by: towncryer, July 12, 2017, 11:04pm; Reply: 11
Don't think Burton fans are too keen.
No need for what went on there.
Bad losers on the day and SOME fans were a disgrace.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, July 13, 2017, 6:42am; Reply: 12
I've always found Northampton fans and also Luton fans don't particularly like us
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 13, 2017, 7:23am; Reply: 13
The Northampton thing stems from outside the torch at Wembley 98
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 13, 2017, 8:05am; Reply: 14
No one likes us,
No one likes us,
We don't care,
We are Grimsby, super Grimsby,
From Blundell park !
Posted by: Simariner, July 13, 2017, 8:07am; Reply: 15
Lincoln Fans seem to have a hatred towards us but I can't relate any to them.

Lincoln don't bother me the slightest and I don't know why they are so obsessed with us.

Also Mansfield, Luton, Gateshead, Coventry, Chesterfield seem not to favor us
Posted by: chelseacity, July 13, 2017, 8:26am; Reply: 16
Quoted from grimsby pete
Why do you care ?

Why do i care ?  As i travel around the Country meeting different people, when the subject of football comes up someone always ask you what team you support, when i mention Grimsby Town i take notice of their comments, some people just roll their eyes, others says ok, but many people have some sort of comment, as an example : sat on the tube with my Town shirt on, a big bloke comes over & asks me if that is a Grimsby shirt, he then sits next to me & tells me of how he & his mates got hammered trying to get into the Pontoon stand when Chelsea played us, he then goes on to tell me of all the clubs he hates Grimsby & West Ham are 1st & 2nd because it's the only time they never managed to get into the other teams end. Till then i just assumed it was Scunny & Lincoln fans that did not like us due to being our local rivals, i never thought fans from other clubs would be bothered either way, but it seems they are.
So i just wondered as its not football season if other people had any stories on a similar basis of why fans from other clubs dont like us !
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 13, 2017, 8:39am; Reply: 17

There were a couple of Monkey Hangers that didn't like us much on here but they seem to have disappeared  ;D
Posted by: Abdul19, July 13, 2017, 11:22am; Reply: 18
I've never met anyone who claimed to 'not like' GTFC.
Posted by: Kris2, July 13, 2017, 1:29pm; Reply: 19
The only time I've seen people say something bad about Grimsby fans is online, some seem to peg us as a kind of hooligan element which I don't get really. Every club has it's idiots but most of our fans seem pretty laid back and friendly even at away days. I've seen comments in the past that act like we destroy everywhere we visit and attack random people.

you get the odd incidents like the whole Burton tantrum and smashing some windows in Sheffield etc....Oh and when Sheffield came here for a friendly some of their lot were keen on a fight and 5-6 Grimsby fans gave it the big un at some of their fans walking to the ground until a group sent them running away over the train tracks. Most of that day was Sheffield fans who came down looking for trouble.

The closest thing we seem to have to real hooligans are kids who think they're hard but get shown up by one old guy at Gateshead and a bunch of our old fans who were probably hooligans in the 60's and 70's who occasionally talk things up wanting to relive their glory days of things getting a bit tasty with the Millwall being around.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 13, 2017, 2:10pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Kris2
The only time I've seen people say something bad about Grimsby fans is online, some seem to peg us as a kind of hooligan element which I don't get really. Every club has it's idiots but most of our fans seem pretty laid back and friendly even at away days. I've seen comments in the past that act like we destroy everywhere we visit and attack random people.

you get the odd incidents like the whole Burton tantrum and smashing some windows in Sheffield etc....Oh and when Sheffield came here for a friendly some of their lot were keen on a fight and 5-6 Grimsby fans gave it the big un at some of their fans walking to the ground until a group sent them running away over the train tracks. Most of that day was Sheffield fans who came down looking for trouble.

The closest thing we seem to have to real hooligans are kids who think they're hard but get shown up by one old guy at Gateshead and a bunch of our old fans who were probably hooligans in the 60's and 70's who occasionally talk things up wanting to relive their glory days of things getting a bit tasty with the Millwall being around.

Brilliant stuff Kris you seem to have a good handle on things have you thought about becoming a football intelligence officer?
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 13, 2017, 3:41pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Brilliant stuff Kris you seem to have a good handle on things have you thought about becoming a football intelligence officer?

Are you sure he already isn't Micky L  ;)

Are you Doddsy, are you Doddsy in disguise  ;D
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 13, 2017, 4:26pm; Reply: 22
After a town match at end of last season went in the local pub and sat with a couple of guys who were watching Brighton v Fulham and both were Fulham fans and when I said I was a town season ticket holder the response was "we hate Grimsby".

Funnily enough another Fulham fan, bar owner in Majorca, on seeing my kids in their town shirts gave exactly the same response. When I asked them why this it was mainly due to them believing they never beat us, with the play off defeat the final nail in the coffin.

Not checked our result history v Fulham but seems another West London club has problems with us!!!!
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 13, 2017, 4:27pm; Reply: 23
I am proud to say I am Grimsby around here they are either Ipswich or Norwich fans,

Nobody has ever told me to my face the do not like Grimsby,

The opposite in fact they say great fish and chips at Grimsby. ;D
Posted by: mariner83, July 13, 2017, 4:42pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
After a town match at end of last season went in the local pub and sat with a couple of guys who were watching Brighton v Fulham and both were Fulham fans and when I said I was a town season ticket holder the response was "we hate Grimsby".

Funnily enough another Fulham fan, bar owner in Majorca, on seeing my kids in their town shirts gave exactly the same response. When I asked them why this it was mainly due to them believing they never beat us, with the play off defeat the final nail in the coffin.

Not checked our result history v Fulham but seems another West London club has problems with us!!!!

[url=https://www.11v11.com/teams/fulham/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Grimsby%20Town/]https://www.11v11.com/teams/fulham/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Grimsby%20Town/[/url]
Posted by: grimslaa, July 13, 2017, 4:43pm; Reply: 25
Living in Liverpool and had a few people tell me they don't like us as the first Liverpool game they went to was the League Cup game against us with Jevons scoring that goal to knock them out

Also spoken to a few guys at Liverpool games who remember watching us come to Anfield in the 50s/60s who weren't bothered either way about us
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, July 13, 2017, 4:46pm; Reply: 26
Fans are just people in society like you and me most good with a few knob heads thrown in every team as them obviously there is your local rivalry. I thought Gateshead seemed the most hostile though I don't know why TBH.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 13, 2017, 5:44pm; Reply: 27
Don't think I've come across any fans of other clubs who specifically hate GTFC.
Posted by: newarkmariner, July 13, 2017, 6:26pm; Reply: 28
I used to run pubs in Newcastle and they hate us for a couple of reasons ,one being the 0-1 victory that stopped them breaking some record(SUPER JIM DOBBIN) and then there was the Justin Whittle elbow on Mary Poppins which I must say is my favourite and I used to love pointing out the scar on the twits lip if he was on telly in the pub, now I live in Newark and gotta say apart from the odd gimp that's appeared out of the woodwork in the last couple of months everyone else wants to reminisce about there visits to BP and talk about how we were a bloody good team not so long ago.UTM
Posted by: Bignic69, July 13, 2017, 7:12pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from newarkmariner
I used to run pubs in Newcastle and they hate us for a couple of reasons ,one being the 0-1 victory that stopped them breaking some record(SUPER JIM DOBBIN) and then there was the Justin Whittle elbow on Mary Poppins which I must say is my favourite and I used to love pointing out the scar on the twits lip if he was on telly in the pub, now I live in Newark and gotta say apart from the odd gimp that's appeared out of the woodwork in the last couple of months everyone else wants to reminisce about there visits to BP and talk about how we were a bloody good team not so long ago.UTM

Shearers scar looks a good in in ultra HD
Posted by: Grim up north, July 13, 2017, 9:22pm; Reply: 30
Stoke ........through the 80's and 90's we clashed every time .
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 13, 2017, 10:00pm; Reply: 31
On the Shearer incident, went with the lads to geordie land for a weekends golf, in the clubhouse on the Saturday was Shearer, a couple of the lads asked for pictures, and must say he obliged every time, was very tempted to ask to see his scar but afraid I bottled it.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 13, 2017, 10:12pm; Reply: 32
I'm with some Grantham fans at the moment. They like us, and would like us even more if we loan them Harry Clifton again.
Posted by: gary_elton, July 14, 2017, 6:52am; Reply: 33
Justin Whittles elbow on Mary Poppins.... love it Newark Mariner.... I always look for the scar and point it out to all and sundry.....   ;D
Posted by: 137 (Guest), July 14, 2017, 9:29am; Reply: 34
I believe Town fans are universally cherished within the football community.

Other teams' fans only say "we hate you" when we speak to them, because they know it's what we want to hear.  8)
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 14, 2017, 4:30pm; Reply: 35
From working all over the country and world I found a mixed bag of reactions, from your fans are amazing to why is it Town fans just want to fight. A lot depends on their experience of our fans both home and away.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 14, 2017, 6:48pm; Reply: 36
Sheffield United, Everton, Man City and Luton.
Posted by: chaos33, July 14, 2017, 9:22pm; Reply: 37
As if Sheff Utd, Man City, Everton or Luton fans give two sh1ts about us.
I reckon this thread is 90% subjective cobblers.
Posted by: LH, July 14, 2017, 9:29pm; Reply: 38
Quite. The only person who's ever been a bit funny about me supporting Town was a Scunny fan but later realised it's far easier to unite as fans of excrement smaller clubs against the glory fans of the Prem. Lincoln fans in real life are far more realistic than the divs on the internet too.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 15, 2017, 11:54am; Reply: 39
Nonsense. I once met a Man Utd fan at Rotterdam airport who hated GTFC so much Dutch OB nicked him for throwing a pint of Heineken at my Barry Conlon wig. Turns out he was still fuming at the time 50 GY took Stretford End back in 1934.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, July 15, 2017, 1:03pm; Reply: 40
Everton shirt wearing Scunthorpe United fans don't like Grimsby either.
The bloke had let it slip he had never seen Everton play "but everyone picks a premier league team"
Stood at the bar of the Sherpa pub directly under the Grimsby Town plaque too.
(the pub has plaques from all clubs around the top of the walls)
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 15, 2017, 2:25pm; Reply: 41
GYin Scuntland, do you still need a scar to get into the Sherpa ?
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, July 15, 2017, 2:29pm; Reply: 42
After the Brovers final I was out in Northampton getting some grub for my tea and still had in my Town shirt and scarf on  and a Northampton town lad said to me " oh well mate at least a proper football team went up, . , never did like you Grimsby lot" , . , I nearly lobbed my Chicken Chow Mein in his face!!
Posted by: GYinScuntland, July 15, 2017, 2:41pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Gaffer58
GYin Scuntland, do you still need a scar to get into the Sherpa ?

I've a few on the back of my head plus a twisted nose so I fit in ok.
I just try and grunt a bit, pick my nose, scratch my bottom and jobs a gud 'un.   :)
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 15, 2017, 9:34pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Abdul19
Nonsense. I once met a Man Utd fan at Rotterdam airport who hated GTFC so much Dutch OB nicked him for throwing a pint of Heineken at my Barry Conlon wig. Turns out he was still fuming at the time 50 GY took Stretford End back in 1934.

You're talking sh1te Abdul and so was he.

There was only 30 of us  ;)
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 16, 2017, 2:45pm; Reply: 45
My grandad still talks of that day, absolute mayhem, flat caps all over the place.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 1:46pm