Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Cloudy, July 9, 2017, 11:03am
I thought we may have seen a couple of more additions to the first team squad by now.
Some people were worried a month or 6 weeks ago but I was happy enough that we waited until most contracts expired at the end of June.
10 days later and still no left back nor someone to take the vacant number 9. Yes, still over 3 weeks to the big kick off but I hoped to have seen the new guys in, training and bonding with their team-mates.
I am sure RS wanted the same so is it proving harder than he expected or are we not offering enough by security or wages?

Hopefully my unease will be eased this time next week
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 9, 2017, 11:12am; Reply: 1
Looks like we're missing out on targets, budget constraints?
Posted by: Mariner93er, July 9, 2017, 11:27am; Reply: 2
If imagine they've been setting their sights high, which can obviously lead to you struggling if you fail. But I imagine we have some loan moves targeted of younger players should we need it, such as Hart who has been mentioned.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 9, 2017, 11:42am; Reply: 3
It's not necessarily budget constraints, could be that the players that RS wants don't want to come to Grimsby or they are also talking with other clubs.  Maybe thrashing out contract details takes longer than we think, or possibly the player wants to look at housing available before he makes a decision.  I can imagine there are quite a few reasons RS hasn't got his men yet, and yes, budget constraints could also be part of it, we are not a rich club and cannot be held to ransom over wages for a new player.
Posted by: mimma, July 9, 2017, 1:09pm; Reply: 4
I think it's location that is the problem.

Past managers have always stated how difficult it is to get players to move here.

Don't think Blundell Park helps either when other suitors have modern well equipped stadiums.
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 9, 2017, 1:10pm; Reply: 5
Guess as we are aiming higher for players. Chickson signed for a league one club and maynard scottish prem. Players may wait to sign for a club as high as possible to then sign for us later if nothing materialises. I still expect us to have our squad in place within the next fortnight
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 9, 2017, 1:25pm; Reply: 6
Guess as we are aiming higher for players. Chickson signed for a league one club and maynard scottish prem. Players may wait to sign for a club as high as possible to then sign for us later if nothing materialises. I still expect us to have our squad in place within the next fortnight
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 9, 2017, 2:00pm; Reply: 7
I think RS is just waiting for players he thinks are good enough footballers to potentially take us up, have a good record with injuries, look after themselves properly  and also have the right attitude to add vale to the group. Not every player has all of those things but I'm sure available ones are out there and as time goes on maybe a bit more likely to sign for a club like ours.  
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 9, 2017, 2:17pm; Reply: 8
When I stated it was quite apparent that Slade had been knockbacked by his primary targets got slated on here,now the same people saying the same,hypocrites.
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 9, 2017, 2:20pm; Reply: 9
By the Chicksen and Maynard were only 2.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 9, 2017, 2:45pm; Reply: 10
No point signing players who are not better than we already have, because we have a biggish squad already. Left back apart, we are ready to go now i would have thought. Could do with another striker and centre back as well, but we are not exactly short of numbers. Bringing in players will mean moving some out as well, which is just as big a stumbling block if there are no takers.
Posted by: Davec, July 9, 2017, 3:37pm; Reply: 11
Wouldn't mind Lee Moleyneux from Morecambe
Posted by: Abdul19, July 9, 2017, 3:39pm; Reply: 12
Fentys being outbid by the likes of Bradford just shows how far we've fallen for me in my opinion.  
Posted by: golfer, July 9, 2017, 4:22pm; Reply: 13
I think most of the players we go after want 2 year contracts and if we are only prepared to offer 1 year deals we are going to fail like we did last year [no names mentioned]
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 9, 2017, 4:36pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Abdul19
Fentys being outbid by the likes of Bradford just shows how far we've fallen for me in my opinion.  

Bradfords average attendance in season 2015/16 was 18,090, 2nd highest in League 1, that's why they can outbid us.  Oh and last season their average was 18,167, 2nd highest again.
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 9, 2017, 5:15pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from 123614

Bradfords average attendance in season 2015/16 was 18,090, 2nd highest in League 1, that's why they can outbid us.  Oh and last season their average was 18,167, 2nd highest again.

Yeah because they make an effort at marketing their season tickets.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 9, 2017, 5:31pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from mimma
I think it's location that is the problem.

Past managers have always stated how difficult it is to get players to move here.

Don't think Blundell Park helps either when other suitors have modern well equipped stadiums.

Shoot me down but "Cheapside" would be better if located in Sheffield with the players coming here only on match days, then the location wouldn't be an issue.
Bring on the red crosses........ :)

Posted by: ginnywings, July 9, 2017, 6:22pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from 123614

I think Abdul may have had his tongue firmly in his cheek.  ;)
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, July 9, 2017, 7:10pm; Reply: 18
Better we don't just sign also rans just to get players in. Not worried at all. RS knows what he's doing a damn sight better than I do.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, July 9, 2017, 7:25pm; Reply: 19
Right at the minute we are relying on vernon and yussuf to score the goals as they are strikers if some of you aren't worried about that then something's wrong with you !!! we need to make something happen and fast jones is very capable of scoring and is quality but we need someone else to help him we don't want another bogle situation like last season  UTM
Posted by: chaos33, July 9, 2017, 8:38pm; Reply: 20
Jesus, people are so impatient and entitled.
All in good time.....
Posted by: lukeo, July 9, 2017, 11:35pm; Reply: 21
16 goals in 2 pre season games... Pfft nothing to worry about save your money Fenty  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 9, 2017, 11:44pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from ginnywings

I think Abdul may have had his tongue firmly in his cheek.  ;)

@rse cheek     ;D

Posted by: golfer, July 10, 2017, 4:51pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from promotion plaice

@rse cheek     ;D

You want your mouth washing out with Carbolic :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 11, 2017, 9:34am; Reply: 24
If you look back at our history two stick out,

1, We do have a bit of a job getting our 1st choice targets signing for us,

2. Our most successful teams have always had a good few local lads or players that came through our junior set up,

We have started to address the junior set up after years of neglect ( because of no funding non league )

We should start to see the fruits of that shortly,

Clifton, Venney , Wright and Rose might just be the 1st batch to make it the team ,

Also local players do have a genuine love for the club and might stay that little bit longer when having the opportunity to move on,

Drinkell and Kevin Moore being just 2 local players who could have moved up the leagues long before they did leave.

John Oster was one who left soon after making an impact along with Gary Croft but they did bring in over £3 million between them.

So patience is the key.
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 1:23pm