Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 28, 2017, 12:37pm
Politics does not belong in sport so there is now a thread on non footy to talk politics and the like.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 28, 2017, 1:51pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from grimsby pete
Politics does not belong in sport so there is now a thread on non footy to talk politics and the like.

you might want to avoid the threads on Hillsborough, safe standing and kick off changes then.

Posted by: sam gy, June 28, 2017, 2:14pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from grimsby pete
Politics does not belong in sport

An absolutely ridiculous statement.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 28, 2017, 2:27pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from sam gy

I imagine what Pete is trying to say, is that Politics should not be taking over what is supposed to be a sport thread. I dare say twit of the week is not necessarily football related. If Suarez or Ronaldo are nominated the thread does not descend into a 12 page slanging match going round in circles.

But mention Theresa May, Borris, or Corbyn etc and off it kicks.
That's my take on it anyway.
It's boring now. So go and remoan,  or Brexiteer etc somewhere else !!
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 28, 2017, 3:23pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from sam gy

That's my view mate you are welcome to yours.
Posted by: barralad, June 28, 2017, 4:14pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Civvy at last

I imagine what Pete is trying to say, is that Politics should not be taking over what is supposed to be a sport thread. I dare say twit of the week is not necessarily football related. If Suarez or Ronaldo are nominated the thread does not descend into a 12 page slanging match going round in circles.

But mention Theresa May, Borris, or Corbyn etc and off it kicks.
That's my take on it anyway.
It's boring now. So go and remoan,  or Brexiteer etc somewhere else !!

If you look back at the winners a lot are nothing to do with sport (or politics).
Posted by: fishker, June 28, 2017, 8:20pm; Reply: 6
I think that if this person is kind and has political education he/she can be a politician. For example, the mayor of my city is an ex-boxer. And I really like what he changes in my city!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 28, 2017, 8:47pm; Reply: 7
Harold Wilson claimed the credit for England winning the World Cup under a Labour Government.
Posted by: wigworld, June 28, 2017, 9:13pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Harold Wilson claimed the credit for England winning the World Cup under a Labour Government.

It was clearly tongue-in-cheek.
Posted by: wigworld, June 28, 2017, 9:14pm; Reply: 9
I respectfully disagree with the OP, but I'm happy to restrict posts about politics to the non-footy forum.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 28, 2017, 11:25pm; Reply: 10
Sorry Pete, but you are living in la-la land. Everything is tainted/affected by politics from the boardroom shenanigans of the last few years, through to the location of the new stadium. The trust, like it or not, is a political body in the broadest sense of the word. Bosman, freedom of movement, the FIFA presidency, the make up of the champions league, the difficulty of getting from the conference to league 2, policing of football supporters, safe seating, travel bans etc etc etc are all political but all impact on football
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, June 29, 2017, 9:04am; Reply: 11
You're right, of course. Football doesn't exist in a political vacuum. But discussing issues such as the ones you highlight is very different from the occasional endless thread consisting of variations on "Labour are excrement", "No, the Tories are excrement", where football doesn't get a mention, and I think it's the latter that some people get a little tired of.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 29, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 12
Quoted from forza ivano
Sorry Pete, but you are living in la-la land.

You are not the first to say that to me Ivano,

You could be right  ;D

Posted by: Chrisblor, June 29, 2017, 12:23pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from grimsby pete

Why is there a Sports Minister then? Why does the Department for Culture, Media & Sport exist then? Don't be so small minded.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 29, 2017, 12:33pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Chrisblor

Why is there a Sports Minister then? Why does the Department for Culture, Media & Sport exist then? Don't be so small minded.

I have a right to be small minded and you can not stop me  :P
Posted by: WetFlannel, June 29, 2017, 12:40pm; Reply: 15
Pete is a Tory.
Posted by: kenlyn, June 29, 2017, 3:23pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from WetFlannel
Pete is a Tory.

Does not matter what our political alleigence is, we all support GTFC
which comes above anything else. UTM
Posted by: WetFlannel, June 29, 2017, 3:53pm; Reply: 17
Sounds like something a Tory would say.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 29, 2017, 5:36pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from WetFlannel
Pete is a Tory.

Oh no I am not.

I just do not like to be told what I can say or do from posters on here that do not even know me.
Posted by: Chrisblor, June 29, 2017, 6:57pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from grimsby pete

Oh no I am not.

I just do not like to be told what I can say or do from posters on here that do not even know me.

Rather hypocritical that you're attempting to tell other posters what they can say or do then, isn't it?
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 9:22am