Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: grimreaper, June 23, 2017, 10:44pm
Akwasi had a successful operation a few weeks ago.
He is now walking unaided and without a caste.
He has been in the Gym everyday this week, and on Monday is spending a week or possibly 2 weeks at St Georges Park to receive intensive training and physiotherapy.
He is looking good and cannot wait to get back to football fully fit which he has not been for a couple of years.
I would predict that he should be near to fitness and possibly on the bench by start of the third week in August.
Fingers crossed
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 23, 2017, 11:07pm; Reply: 1
Aye. Fingers crossed. There's a good player waiting to burst out.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 24, 2017, 3:33pm; Reply: 2
If he can stay injury free then he could play a very big part next season.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 24, 2017, 4:21pm; Reply: 3
Definitely looks to be a player in there. Hopefully not another Ademeno.
Posted by: Garth, June 24, 2017, 9:33pm; Reply: 4
Could be a beast of a striker if he stays fit, I would like to see young Rose given game time off the bench also.
If we were to start with what we have we would not be weak, with other signings on the way we look promising
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, June 25, 2017, 3:45pm; Reply: 5
Really hope Slade gives this lad a go, looks decent especially seeing as he has been playing while carying this for a while. So much for the nonsense that it was all in his head I read on here a few months back.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 25, 2017, 5:36pm; Reply: 6
Think I might have a fiver on him being top scorer when the odds are up.
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 25, 2017, 6:06pm; Reply: 7
Looked a real handful against Accrington when he came on and always looked like he could do something when he played. I think there's a real player in there, if we keep him fit and pick him regularly, him and Jones could be a real handful for anybody.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, June 25, 2017, 7:06pm; Reply: 8
When he's match fit i have a strong feeling that this young guy will surprise us. He's been very unlucky with injuries and we could see a much improved player next season and regret we bought a new player in in july? to sit on the bench.
Posted by: bradzmilne, June 25, 2017, 9:16pm; Reply: 9
It's a really kick in the teeth he won't get a full pre-season under his belt. Just because it would make that transition from part to full time football a little easier for the guy.

There's certainly something about the guy though, rumour has it we paid more for him than Osbourne to. If he's of a similar calibre then we're laughing
Posted by: Hertsmariner, June 25, 2017, 10:39pm; Reply: 10
I rather doubt that Town paid more for Asante than Osborne, not least because of the discrepancy in length of contract signed (only 18 months for Asante whereas I seem to remember that it was 30 months for Osborne?). Besides, Asante's injury record suggests he's a higher risk.
Posted by: grimreaper, June 26, 2017, 6:58pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Hertsmariner
I rather doubt that Town paid more for Asante than Osborne, not least because of the discrepancy in length of contract signed (only 18 months for Asante whereas I seem to remember that it was 30 months for Osborne?). Besides, Asante's injury record suggests he's a higher risk.

It is correct that Grimsby paid more for Asante, that's what the hold was. Solihull new that potentially Asante was worth more in the future IF he kept injury free, than Osbourne.
Birmingham City released him because of an ongoing hamstring tear. He has not suffered this injury since joining Solihull.

Marcus knew that Asante would be worth more in the future IF kept injury free.
He is working hard right now to get fit and to maintain his fitness. He is raring to go knowing that it will be the first time in 2yrs that he will be fully fit and able to shoot with his right foot. Not bad for someone who was restricted in his shooting but being top scorer at Solihull for the last 2yrs. Well 1and half seasons, he left Solihull midway through and still ended up top scorer for them at the end of the season.
Posted by: Garth, June 26, 2017, 7:54pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from grimreaper

It is correct that Grimsby paid more for Asante, that's what the hold was. Solihull new that potentially Asante was worth more in the future IF he kept injury free, than Osbourne.
Birmingham City released him because of an ongoing hamstring tear. He has not suffered this injury since joining Solihull.

Marcus knew that Asante would be worth more in the future IF kept injury free.
He is working hard right now to get fit and to maintain his fitness. He is raring to go knowing that it will be the first time in 2yrs that he will be fully fit and able to shoot with his right foot. Not bad for someone who was restricted in his shooting but being top scorer at Solihull for the last 2yrs. Well 1and half seasons, he left Solihull midway through and still ended up top scorer for them at the end of the season.

That`s all very well but this thread is about Akwasi  ;) ;D
Posted by: Hertsmariner, June 26, 2017, 9:08pm; Reply: 13
Thanks for that, grimreaper. You obviously have inside knowledge on Akwasi's fitness/injury status as well as details of his transfer from Solihull. Trouble is, if he is now injury-free, and turns out to be the star performer this season, as hoped, without a longer contract, which ends in summer 2018, he'll leave GTFC on a free-unless he can be tied to an extension during this season.
Posted by: StaffsMariner, June 29, 2017, 10:54am; Reply: 14
Is the report in the telegraph a new injury?
Some guys have no luck at all.
Posted by: grimreaper, June 29, 2017, 8:21pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from StaffsMariner
Is the report in the telegraph a new injury?
Some guys have no luck at all.

Akwasi has just finished at St Georges and will be reporting back to Grimsby Tomorrow. No new injury or setback issues.
Its not common knowledge that Akwasi has had an op except on this forum. The telegraph are running an old story.
Posted by: Superdan147, June 29, 2017, 9:27pm; Reply: 16
So I'm confused now??

Has akwasi actually had an op and is on road to recovery OR has someone on here just made this thread up and the telegraph are reporting the fact that Asante still has problems? I just wanna know how he's actually progressing !
Posted by: grimreaper, June 30, 2017, 1:03am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Superdan147
So I'm confused now??

Has akwasi actually had an op and is on road to recovery OR has someone on here just made this thread up and the telegraph are reporting the fact that Asante still has problems? I just wanna know how he's actually progressing !

As I have mentioned in previous posts, Akwasi is progressing well. He had an Op to sort out a niggling ankle problem which has restricted him using his right foot for shooting for the past couple of years. (He can play with either foot which is helpful). He though it was the best time to sort it out.

The Operation was a success and he is back in light training. He went to St Georges Park this week and will report back to the Physio at Grimsby tomorrow to continue his comeback. He is raring to go and feels good. We have predicted that it could be the later part of august before he kicks a ball in anger then he needs game time.

The report in the paper suggests that it is an injury to the top of his leg. This is not correct. It is his ankle. He had bits of bone floating around, Was caused when he had a trial for Yeovil a couple of years ago, after Russell Slade had gone.
RS is correct with regards to his time table for getting back.
With regards to his long standing injury, the hamstring that is fine, he has had no issues with that since he joined Solihull 2 seasons ago.
I hope I have answered your question
Posted by: Superdan147, June 30, 2017, 7:38am; Reply: 18
How would you possibly know all this though? Are you connected to the club/player? I really hope what you say is true!
Posted by: StaffsMariner, June 30, 2017, 1:43pm; Reply: 19
Thanks GR. Great to hear and hope Akwasi will become a new fans favourite.Just dont rush back before ready.
UTM
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 30, 2017, 2:42pm; Reply: 20
There have been no further operations.
Asante is approx 1 month behind the others. No further problems expected.
HP. Dave Moore abut 30 minutes ago.
Posted by: grimreaper, August 5, 2017, 9:11am; Reply: 21
Akwasi's recovery from surgery is coming along fine as planned. He is off to St Georges Park the England HQ for a final week of preparation.
He is now running and feels very good.
He is still about a month behind the rest of the squad, if all goes well should be back fully fit end of August.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 5, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 22
It will be like getting a new signing if he can get himself back to full fitness.
Posted by: ginnywings, August 5, 2017, 9:19am; Reply: 23
Nice one. I just have a feeling that this lad could be a very good player for us when he gets motoring.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 5, 2017, 9:21am; Reply: 24
Quoted from grimreaper
Akwasi's recovery from surgery is coming along fine as planned. He is off to St Georges Park the England HQ for a final week of preparation.
He is now running and feels very good.
He is still about a month behind the rest of the squad, if all goes well should be back fully fit end of August.

Ask him to take McAllister with him and get him sorted too.
Posted by: lukeo, August 5, 2017, 9:22am; Reply: 25
It's going to go one of two ways.. Hell come in fresh and be a vital player for us, or hell continue being plagued with injuries.. Just hope it's the first one.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 5, 2017, 11:52am; Reply: 26
Great news if he's back for Sept, maybe a month on loan to a conference side to tune up and first team ready for Port Vale at the start of October.

Looks like a real player to me, could be a big season for him.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), August 5, 2017, 12:11pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mariner93er
It will be like getting a new signing if he can get himself back to full fitness.

If he CAN get fit, and I really hope so then we shouldn't sign a new number 9. Put our trust in Cardwell to lead the line with Sam Jones just behind. The manager has signed these players, give them a proper go. We have Vernon as backup although Russ seems keen to start him, remember we have Rose as well who seems inpatient and wants to get his career going. Let's give our own lads a go, maybe bring in a loan centre forward until Akwasi is up and running and if Russ thinks we are short.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 5, 2017, 12:17pm; Reply: 28
I think that would be an ideal approach Vicar, let's give Cardwell a nice run and see how he goes.
Posted by: Hertsmariner, August 6, 2017, 3:19pm; Reply: 29
And in mentioning Ahkeem Rose, is there any news of his fitness? The last comment from Neil Woods, around the time of the Boston game, I found enigmatic, obfuscatory, even downright gobbledegook, so am none the wiser. Perhaps I've missed something since?
Posted by: rancido, August 6, 2017, 5:00pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from lukeo
It's going to go one of two ways.. Hell come in fresh and be a vital player for us, or hell continue being plagued with injuries.. Just hope it's the first one.

So it will be HELL either way !!!
Posted by: grimreaper, September 11, 2017, 12:53am; Reply: 31
Just an update on Akwasi Asante's progress.
He has had his first week back training with the ball. Also trained with reserves.
He feels great and ready to start his second week. Won't be long now.he is aiming to be back end of September.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 11, 2017, 5:19am; Reply: 32
Quoted from grimreaper
Won't be long now.he is aiming to be back end of September.

"I would predict that he should be near to fitness and possibly on the bench by start of the third week in August.
Fingers crossed
"

"He is still about a month behind the rest of the squad, if all goes well should be back fully fit end of August."

Do you actually have any inside information or are you making this all up?
Posted by: RoboCod, September 11, 2017, 7:11am; Reply: 33
He did have a slight setback to be fair, which was reported. He's not at the  McAllister-level yet, fingers crossed as I want to see what this guy can give us.
Posted by: grimreaper, September 22, 2017, 12:07pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from RoboCod
He did have a slight setback to be fair, which was reported. He's not at the  McAllister-level yet, fingers crossed as I want to see what this guy can give us.

The slight setback was not with the actual operation he had on the ankle, that all went well. It was found that part of the bone was bruised which needs to be managed. The ankle is as strong as it has ever been.

Akwasi has just finished his 2nd full week of training with the reserves. He was due to get some game time this week at the reserve game but felt himself he needed a further weeks training under his belt. The next reserve match I believe is last week in September, if all progresses well then should see him get  some match practise.

In himself he feels the best he has been since his days at Birmingham City. He can't wait to start playing competitive football.
Posted by: livosnose, September 22, 2017, 12:20pm; Reply: 35
A month playing alongside Ross Hannah at Chester would do him good......
Posted by: moosey_club, September 22, 2017, 1:27pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from livosnose

Would come back from Chester totally confused as to where he was playing and probably carrying a bus related injury  ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 22, 2017, 1:50pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from livosnose

Would that be because they have recruited MB and they will clearly have better infrastructure and faculties than us as why would someone with such high honesty and integrity become their manager?
Posted by: Mallyner, September 22, 2017, 2:20pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from livosnose

Sadly it wouldn't teach him much about staying onside.  :)

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 22, 2017, 2:59pm; Reply: 39
................so how's Jamie Osborne doing anyone?
Posted by: Maringer, September 22, 2017, 3:04pm; Reply: 40
It was reported the other week that he was ahead of schedule, I seem to recall? I think he hopes to be back playing before Christmas, though how good his fitness will be remains to be seen. Must be incredibly difficult to catch up after a long lay-off.
Posted by: Maringer, September 22, 2017, 3:05pm; Reply: 41
Here we go:

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jamey-osborne-ahead-schedule-return-445065
Posted by: RoboCod, September 22, 2017, 3:26pm; Reply: 42
I daren't over think it and get carried away but I feel a team with fully fit versions of J Osborne and Asante, with the ever improving Matt would be a totally different proposition to play against than the current one.
Loads more targets for Siriki to hit too, hopefully rounding off his abilities over the season too.

Roll on January  ::)
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, September 22, 2017, 3:59pm; Reply: 43
The loss of Osbourne's creativity has been a big blow. We know from last season what he can do. Same with Clements as well. We can only speculate on Akwasi but i sense theres a good player there. Same with Ahkeem Rose. Im surprised FIFA cant intervene for him as the West Indies? authorities are hurting his career through their inability to process his papers
Posted by: Posh Harry, September 22, 2017, 4:09pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from TheGoalKipper
The loss of Osbourne's creativity has been a big blow. We know from last season what he can do. Same with Clements as well. We can only speculate on Akwasi but i sense theres a good player there. Same with Ahkeem Rose. Im surprised FIFA cant intervene for him as the West Indies? authorities are hurting his career through their inability to process his papers

Right at this moment I don't think there is much anyone in the West Indies can do about anything and his paperwork is still probably blowing about in the atmosphere somewhere (although I realise it should have been sorted a long time ago)
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, September 22, 2017, 4:31pm; Reply: 45
On Ahkeem's player profile they not only praise his ability but also his attitude. When you have both you know the potential is there to make a good player IMO.

If the club will buy me a ticket and pay my expenses im willing and able to take any papers etc to get signed by the right people(thumbup2)(thumbup2)
Posted by: RoboCod, September 22, 2017, 5:16pm; Reply: 46

If the club will buy me a ticket and pay my expenses im willing and able to take any papers etc to get signed by the right people(thumbup2)(thumbup2)

What a dedicated, selfless and considerate person you are :)
I put forward 1 British Pound towards any crowdfunding scheme you may set up in this persuit(thumbup)
Posted by: londonmariner2, September 22, 2017, 8:32pm; Reply: 47
I will donate a fiver to the fund if it gets set up
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 22, 2017, 9:42pm; Reply: 48

The fervour about Rose is interesting, i am not sure what it's based on but good luck to the lad either way.
Posted by: Cloudy, September 23, 2017, 8:31am; Reply: 49
Quoted from grimreaper

The slight setback was not with the actual operation he had on the ankle, that all went well. It was found that part of the bone was bruised which needs to be managed. The ankle is as strong as it has ever been.

Akwasi has just finished his 2nd full week of training with the reserves
. He was due to get some game time this week at the reserve game but felt himself he needed a further weeks training under his belt. The next reserve match I believe is last week in September, if all progresses well then should see him get  some match practise.

In himself he feels the best he has been since his days at Birmingham City. He can't wait to start playing competitive football.

With your insider knowledge are you suggesting the reserves, presumably those not in the current first eleven, train away from the first 11?

Can't think that Sawyer, Keeble, Bolinwinra, Clifton etc can push to get in the squad if they can't even train with the first team?
Posted by: oochiad, September 23, 2017, 9:07am; Reply: 50
I thought Bolarinwa had a knock and he's now back in contention today.......UTM
Posted by: grimreaper, September 29, 2017, 6:45pm; Reply: 51
Looks like Asante will get some match time in the Scunthorpe match. Hope all goes weel for his comeback.
Posted by: RoboCod, September 29, 2017, 9:05pm; Reply: 52
Great to hear. Hope he can establish himself ready for Slade to loan him out a solid run in the team and show us where the goal is regularly.
Posted by: grimreaper, September 30, 2017, 7:06pm; Reply: 53
Aware to get 30 mins in cup match and 60 mins in reserve match wednesday.  Hope they are not trying to rush him back.
Posted by: Tommy, October 2, 2017, 8:44pm; Reply: 54
https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/914900691424038912
Posted by: grimreaper, October 14, 2017, 12:03am; Reply: 55
Quoted from RoboCod
Great to hear. Hope he can establish himself ready for Slade to loan him out a solid run in the team and show us where the goal is regularly.

Rumour is Asante to be loaned out to non league side to get valuable match fitness. If this is correct then it would be a good move to get him back playing for Grimsby asap
Posted by: gtfc98, October 17, 2017, 10:09am; Reply: 56
Quoted from grimreaper

Rumour is Asante to be loaned out to non league side to get valuable match fitness. If this is correct then it would be a good move to get him back playing for Grimsby asap

Reaper you seem to have known a lot of inside info on Asante's injury. Is the plan to bring him back in January? I hope so, think we could have a real player in there if we can get him, and keep him fit.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 17, 2017, 10:19am; Reply: 57
Is Asante the player people are making him out to be, the saviour of the club?

He is 25 and started TWO league games in the last four years!!!
Posted by: RoboCod, October 17, 2017, 10:31am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Cloudy
Is Asante the player people are making him out to be, the saviour of the club?

He is 25 and started TWO league games in the last four years!!!

Not a saviour, just a striker with promise who's been held back by injuries. And, if/when fully fit a better striker than Hooper.
Jones is the only player to have proven himself in the striking role, and he blows hot and cold, of course.

We miss Bogle, despite his little quirks he was better than Matt, Hooper and Vernon combined. Could chuck Cardwell in there too, but he's not getting the chance to shine.
Posted by: Cloudy, October 17, 2017, 10:37am; Reply: 59
He MAY have promise but he has done sodomist all in his career so far to get the adulation from so many.

What is it based on?

Seems another in the long line of footballers who get better and better the less they play
Posted by: RoboCod, October 17, 2017, 10:55am; Reply: 60
Quoted from Cloudy
He MAY have promise but he has done sodomist all in his career so far to get the adulation from so many.

What is it based on?

Seems another in the long line of footballers who get better and better the less they play

Matt has a pretty good career history, struggling to make an impact here and yet to score so a good pedigree isn't always relevant.
The jury on Hooper aren't so much still out as got fed up and gone home.

Asante looked bright when he played, scored and came through the Bignot/Solihull system, a vastly superior player-spotting system to that of Slades.
Posted by: Maringer, October 17, 2017, 11:59am; Reply: 61
Hooper played pretty well alongside Vernon against Colchester and took his goal very well. He's clearly not a target man (and was understandably hopeless when playing as the sole striker), but I think he's got something to offer this season. He's not likely to be first choice but if he can chip in with some goals here and there when he does play then that's good - his minutes played per goal is close to that of Jones who has also scored a couple of penalties. For goals from open play, nobody is near Hooper in the minutes/goal ratio.
Posted by: RoboCod, October 17, 2017, 12:16pm; Reply: 62
Not convinced with Hooper. He's not the worst player by a long chalk but if he's not a a target man and not likely to be first choice, and might chip in with the odd goal, why was he given the No 9 shirt?

A dissapointing pre-season recruitment campaign overall, for me, and we're paying with dreary performances. Perhaps tonight will spark us...
Posted by: grimreaper, October 17, 2017, 3:58pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from gtfc98

Reaper you seem to have known a lot of inside info on Asante's injury. Is the plan to bring him back in January? I hope so, think we could have a real player in there if we can get him, and keep him fit.

The answer is Yes, he will be back.

This is not a knee jerk reaction for Akwasi to go out on loan, it has been on the cards for a few weeks. He needs to get match fit and the reserves do not offer him that. It is also no good sitting on the bench for the first team and coming on for 15/20minutes. His confidence needs to be built up any good striker will tell you. RS wants him back asap, fit.

Some fans have made comments about  Akwasi, and question if he is good enough to play in the 2nd division. Of course he is, is my answer and people like Chris Houghton, Lee Clark and some top coaches will tell you the same who were at Birmingham City.

Akwasi had a problem when he was about 19yrs, with his hamstring due to playing through the pain barrier at BCFC and having injections to temporarily sort the issue whilst the youth team was in the latter stages of the youth cup. This did not stop him being top scorer in all ages whilst he was at BCFC.

Nobody, even top specialist could sort out his injury problem. BCFC did not take his 1yr option up because of his injury.

Akwasi then had a number of trials with other clubs but kept breaking down. It was around this time that he suffered and injury to the top of his ankle whilst on trial at Yeovil, he thought nothing of it and continued playing with the discomfort.

A player at West Bromwich Albion whose father is a sports physiotherapist offered his services to get him back fit. It was total rest for 6 months which did the trick. We went to Kidderminster just to use the training facilities but by the end of the first week they had seen enough and offered him a contract. He did not get much match time. He was there for half a season and then signed for Solihull Moors, for Marcus Bignot who knew his history.

First season he was top scorer second season he played first half of season and still became top scorer when he signed for Grimsby.

Towards last season when Grimsby were safe it was decided to sort out the injury that Akwasi had been carrying at the top of the ankle, however it took longer to heal. What had happened was a slither of bone was floating around and given him discomfort for 2/3yrs, it was restricting his shooting with his right foot even though he is good with either foot. The surgeon also tightened up ligaments. The operation was a success, but he had a badly bruised ankle bone which takes longer to heal. Injections have eased that and now the discomfort has almost disappeared. He is know fully fit, no problems with his hamstring  for 2/3yrs everything is good.

Sorry for the war and peace but I felt that some fans were coming across making assumptions without knowing the truth.

With regards to comparing him with Omar. Akwasi was at Birmingham City when Omar came into the club. Omar had nowhere near Akwasi's ability.

When Akwasi was fit Omar would be on the subs bench, Omar was eventually released.

In a nut shell,  Omar has had a good run without serious injuries. Akwasi just happened to have them early in his career. We hope that he has a good run , keeps clear of injury and Grimsby and Akwasi benefit from it.
Posted by: moosey_club, October 17, 2017, 4:10pm; Reply: 64
Have to say that watching Asante and Omar in the same game when we played at Solihull in the Trophy a couple of seasons ago Asante looked the more accomplished and dangerous player.....i was stood with Solihull fans that night and whilst they admitted that Omar had scored the more goals and had obviously moved to us by then,  it was clear they had plenty of doubts about Omar, the hit and miss nature of his performances, the head holding when something didnt fall right etc.. "he is either a world beater or dog poo" was pretty much the opinion...
they all seemed to hold Asante in a higher regard.

Lets hope we see a fit one to judge on before his time is over.
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 17, 2017, 4:32pm; Reply: 65
If we can get him fit and firing he could be the first piece of the jigsaw!  ;)
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 17, 2017, 5:37pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from grimreaper

The answer is Yes, he will be back.

This is not a knee jerk reaction for Akwasi to go out on loan, it has been on the cards for a few weeks. He needs to get match fit and the reserves do not offer him that. It is also no good sitting on the bench for the first team and coming on for 15/20minutes. His confidence needs to be built up any good striker will tell you. RS wants him back asap, fit.

Some fans have made comments about  Akwasi, and question if he is good enough to play in the 2nd division. Of course he is, is my answer and people like Chris Houghton, Lee Clark and some top coaches will tell you the same who were at Birmingham City.

Akwasi had a problem when he was about 19yrs, with his hamstring due to playing through the pain barrier at BCFC and having injections to temporarily sort the issue whilst the youth team was in the latter stages of the youth cup. This did not stop him being top scorer in all ages whilst he was at BCFC.

Nobody, even top specialist could sort out his injury problem. BCFC did not take his 1yr option up because of his injury.

Akwasi then had a number of trials with other clubs but kept breaking down. It was around this time that he suffered and injury to the top of his ankle whilst on trial at Yeovil, he thought nothing of it and continued playing with the discomfort.

A player at West Bromwich Albion whose father is a sports physiotherapist offered his services to get him back fit. It was total rest for 6 months which did the trick. We went to Kidderminster just to use the training facilities but by the end of the first week they had seen enough and offered him a contract. He did not get much match time. He was there for half a season and then signed for Solihull Moors, for Marcus Bignot who knew his history.

First season he was top scorer second season he played first half of season and still became top scorer when he signed for Grimsby.

Towards last season when Grimsby were safe it was decided to sort out the injury that Akwasi had been carrying at the top of the ankle, however it took longer to heal. What had happened was a slither of bone was floating around and given him discomfort for 2/3yrs, it was restricting his shooting with his right foot even though he is good with either foot. The surgeon also tightened up ligaments. The operation was a success, but he had a badly bruised ankle bone which takes longer to heal. Injections have eased that and now the discomfort has almost disappeared. He is know fully fit, no problems with his hamstring  for 2/3yrs everything is good.

Sorry for the war and peace but I felt that some fans were coming across making assumptions without knowing the truth.

With regards to comparing him with Omar. Akwasi was at Birmingham City when Omar came into the club. Omar had nowhere near Akwasi's ability.

When Akwasi was fit Omar would be on the subs bench, Omar was eventually released.

In a nut shell,  Omar has had a good run without serious injuries. Akwasi just happened to have them early in his career. We hope that he has a good run , keeps clear of injury and Grimsby and Akwasi benefit from it.

Whilst I understand that players need to be fit to play and Slade sending him out on loan will hopefully do that I have to ask the question "how the frig does Woolford start every game when either he isn't fit or just looks lethargic every time he plays"
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 17, 2017, 6:44pm; Reply: 67
Because Woolford hasn't been out injured since March and who would you rather have Woolford or Kelly?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 17, 2017, 6:54pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Mariner_09
Because Woolford hasn't been out injured since March and who would you rather have Woolford or Kelly?

Is neither an option?
Posted by: Mariner_09, October 17, 2017, 6:57pm; Reply: 69
We don't have another genuine left sided winger and I don't think you can play Dembele and DJ in the same team.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 17, 2017, 7:00pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Mariner_09
We don't have another genuine left sided winger and I don't think you can play Dembele and DJ in the same team.

It was a tongue in cheek comment  :o
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 17, 2017, 7:15pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Mariner_09

Injured or not he clearly isn't fit and what has that actually got to do with it as sending Asante out on loan must mean he is fit to play surely.

As to the option Woolford or Kelly neither would be my initial response but if I had to choose I would go with Kelly as apart from his clever goal at Accrington Woolford has offered nothing for me and as poor as Kelly has been he does look to put more effort in.
Posted by: forza ivano, October 19, 2017, 1:48pm; Reply: 72
now confirmed

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/the-national-league/asante-returns-solihull/
Posted by: moosey_club, October 19, 2017, 3:23pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Mariner_09

Quite right, that much excitement on the pitch would kill half of the main stand off. (wheelchair)
Posted by: grimreaper, October 21, 2017, 12:10am; Reply: 74
Just a quick update, Akwasi starts his first game against Guiseley today for Solihull Moors.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 4:38pm