Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: sutton mariner, June 9, 2017, 5:08am
Just me or does anyone else think old boy Russ will sort us out a good 'in next season.

Chucking my ten bar on him to guide us to a cheeky top 7.  Can't be bad for ye second season back in the big boy leagues surely.

UTM
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 9, 2017, 9:31am; Reply: 1
I have every confidence in Russ getting us to where we want to be. It can be argued that he's never had a promotion but his reputation of improving team is outstanding. You don't manage 800 odd games without knowing how to set up and manage a squad. His man management in particular is excellent. We all speak about the signing Mansfield have made buy that doesn't necessarily equate to a successful team. Russell's ability to motivate players and adopt a system that works will be key for us going forward. His attention to detail and tactical knowledge are also very very good. I think we may surprise a few this season.
Posted by: RichMariner, June 9, 2017, 12:24pm; Reply: 2
Slade has his critics, and rightly so (all managers do - even if they deliver promotion, as we know with Hurst).

But he's a solid manager, with a fairly decent record in the transfer market. His strength is improving what he's given. I'm sure he'll do that here, but by how much?

I don't think Brighton would be where they are now without Slade's intervention a few years back when he saved them from what looked to be a likely relegation to League 2 while they were still at the Withdean.

Then you look at what he did at Orient, and you look at where they are now. Again, no promotion with them, but he got them close.

He took us close, of course, in 2006. The same question marks hovered over Hurst - good at taking his teams close, but not over the line.

If you keep knocking on the door, one day it'll open. Let's hope it's next season.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 9, 2017, 12:58pm; Reply: 3
He got us within one minute of getting us automatic promotion last time,

He is a far more experienced and a better manager now,

So I am hoping we can go straight up this time ,

No messing about with the play offs.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, June 9, 2017, 2:33pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from grimsby pete
He got us within one minute of getting us automatic promotion last time,

He is a far more experienced and a better manager now,

So I am hoping we can go straight up this time ,

No messing about with the play offs.

Im conident he will get us up but im not certain he will get the players he needs for next season. With clubs like Mansfield with moneyed up owners hoovering up the better players available it may take another season but im sure JF will give him the time. If we cant get the striker who can give us the 20+ goals it will hamper us for sure.

Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, June 9, 2017, 5:06pm; Reply: 5
I have no faith yet, but I will wait to see how the transfer window goes (as apart from Dembele I'm not too impressed) and how the first few matches go, but thats just me I refuse to get optimistic about a season any more
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 9, 2017, 5:25pm; Reply: 6
Kelly looked good from that clip IN A HIGHER LEAGUE I know fans don't like him but a couple of people have suggested that given a run of games, and he'll be in a side relatively better than he was last year, he'll be a good player. I'm optimistic, top 7 I'd say is very achievable
Posted by: psgmariner, June 9, 2017, 6:53pm; Reply: 7
I've put real life money on us to win the league at 33/1 so he better get us going this year.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, June 9, 2017, 7:05pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from psgmariner
I've put real life money on us to win the league at 33/1 so he better get us going this year.

wow. Now that is being optimistic. Do you know about some mind blowing signings Russ has lined up? :)
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 4:48pm