Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Belfast Town, June 8, 2017, 9:25am
.....Torquay.

Good luck to the fella. Great servant for Town.

http://m.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/former-grimsby-town-defender-josh-gowling-set-to-sign-for-torquay-united/story-30376875-detail/story.html
Posted by: Garth, June 8, 2017, 9:39am; Reply: 1
Great player and person, pleased for him and wish him all the luck, good signing for Torquay
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 8, 2017, 9:48am; Reply: 2
Good luck Josh I hope you enjoy things down there.
Posted by: Maringer, June 8, 2017, 9:50am; Reply: 3
Nice part of the country to live in and I'm sure he'll do a great job for them.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 8, 2017, 10:13am; Reply: 4
him n jake gosling are 2 good signings for torquay. don't expect them to be scraping down the bottom again, especially if brett williams gets his scoring boots on
Posted by: gtfc98, June 8, 2017, 10:53am; Reply: 5
Great signing for them and the second best seaside resort in the UK. Good luck Josh
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 8, 2017, 11:14am; Reply: 6
Great signing for them good player good person!
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 8, 2017, 11:15am; Reply: 7
I thought he'd have gone to Barrow or Tranmere or another top end Conference team, but hey the signings Torquay are making maybe suggests that they're going to be up there.
Posted by: mariner91, June 8, 2017, 11:50am; Reply: 8
Great player, good bloke, nice club and great part of the country. Winners all round.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, June 8, 2017, 11:59am; Reply: 9
Good luck. Torquay a beautiful place to live
Posted by: Skrill, June 8, 2017, 1:21pm; Reply: 10
That should sort them out, good luck to Torquay.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 8, 2017, 1:22pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Belfast Town

Has he actually signed yet, nothing on the Torquay site?

Good luck to him wherever he plays.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 8, 2017, 1:31pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from arryarryarry

Has he actually signed yet, nothing on the Torquay site?

Good luck to him wherever he plays.

They signed Jake Gosling yesterday, not been a mix-up has it?
Posted by: ginnywings, June 8, 2017, 1:47pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin

They signed Jake Gosling yesterday, not been a mix-up has it?

Perhaps they "did a Grimsby" and signed the wrong player.
Posted by: Grimal, June 8, 2017, 1:57pm; Reply: 14
My Favourite player, pleased he's found a club, good luck Josh.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 8, 2017, 2:59pm; Reply: 15
He's definitely signing for Torquay but not sure if he's signed yet. Turned down Macca at Alfreton!
Posted by: chaos33, June 8, 2017, 4:16pm; Reply: 16
I think, if any Torquay fans check in on this site to try to get a sense of the player they've signed, they'll find unanimous praise and thanks - this is rare and says a lot about him as a pro.

He'll do a good job for them like he did for us. Good luck Josh Gowling and thank you.
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 8, 2017, 4:21pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from chaos33
I think, if any Torquay fans check in on this site to try to get a sense of the player they've signed, they'll find unanimous praise and thanks - this is rare and says a lot about him as a pro.

He'll do a good job for them like he did for us. Good luck Josh Gowling and thank you.

I would have completely agreed with this until I spoke to someone with a bit of inside knowledge the other day. Turns out it might not have been Bignots fault that Gowling was frozen out here. Also MB is not the first manager Josh has fallen out with. He did say it's strange though because he is a genuinely nice guy.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 8, 2017, 4:22pm; Reply: 18
He was great for us in non league and didn't get a fair shake in League 2.

Good luck Josh and thanks.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 8, 2017, 4:32pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from jimgtfc

I would have completely agreed with this until I spoke to someone with a bit of inside knowledge the other day. Turns out it might not have been Bignots fault that Gowling was frozen out here. Also MB is not the first manager Josh has fallen out with. He did say it's strange though because he is a genuinely nice guy.

rubbish mate, bignot was a disgrace in the way he went about things especially Josh
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 8, 2017, 5:21pm; Reply: 20
Only the players knew the real Marcus Bignot we got the bulshit version but there did seem to be some discord amongst players who were getting unfairly treat in favour of others ie Gunning. The alledged incident with the young keeper sounded very unsavoury. As far as Josh goes he seemed frozen out altogether but he did do some great work when in non league winning THAT penno against Braintree was key to us beating them.

Good luck Josh another player with fond memories that I am sure was shared between player and fans alike. ;)
Posted by: Tommy, June 8, 2017, 5:25pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Only the players knew the real Marcus Bignot we got the bulshit version but there did seem to be some discord amongst players who were getting unfairly treat in favour of others ie Gunning. The alledged incident with the young keeper sounded very unsavoury. As far as Josh goes he seemed frozen out altogether but he did do some great work when in non league winning THAT penno against Braintree was key to us beating them.

Good luck Josh another player with fond memories that I am sure was shared between player and fans alike. ;)

unfairly treated? You mean they weren't in the team? That's how football works. One manager rates you and puts you in the team, a different manager prefers others or brings his own players in. And our form was pretty much the same all season so you could say these players that were dropped at various stages of the season hardly had much of an effect.
Posted by: Tommy, June 8, 2017, 5:26pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Hagrid

rubbish mate, bignot was a disgrace in the way he went about things especially Josh

Spill the beans then......
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, June 8, 2017, 5:36pm; Reply: 23
If you think Gunning deserved all the Ist team games he had ahead of others in that squad you were as blinkered as Bigclot.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 8, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 24
I suspect Gowling confused Bignot by using long words and stuff.
Posted by: rancido, June 8, 2017, 6:05pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
If you think Gunning deserved all the Ist team games he had ahead of others in that squad you were as blinkered as Bigclot.

Well RS played Gunning in his first two games in charge and not in his supposed " traditional centre-back " role. Does that make RS blinkered as well.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 8, 2017, 6:12pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Tommy

unfairly treated? You mean they weren't in the team? That's how football works. One manager rates you and puts you in the team, a different manager prefers others or brings his own players in. And our form was pretty much the same all season so you could say these players that were dropped at various stages of the season hardly had much of an effect.

There are ways and means of dropping players.

One of MB's lines was that as a former player he was a 'players man'.
It would appear to be all part of the bullsh1t that he peddled so well.
Posted by: Tommy, June 8, 2017, 6:56pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Youre missing the point.

Regardless of what you think about Gunning. We were no better or worse when he was in the team compared to when he wasn't. So what does that say about these guys whose place he was taking when he was in the team?
Posted by: Garth, June 8, 2017, 6:57pm; Reply: 28
Hands up who would have Gunning, Bignot and his side kicks back?
Posted by: Tommy, June 8, 2017, 7:07pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Garth

As opposed to what?
The all-conquering, guaranteed-to-be-promoted squad we currently have?

Let's wait to see if we do better than midtable first. I think we will, but we don't even have  complete squad yet so it'd be foolish to compare it to last year's just yet.
Posted by: Rick12, June 8, 2017, 7:08pm; Reply: 30
Good luck Josh.Always rated you when I saw you in the conference
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 8, 2017, 7:23pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Tommy

As opposed to what?
The all-conquering, guaranteed-to-be-promoted squad we currently have?

Let's wait to see if we do better than midtable first. I think we will, but we don't even have  complete squad yet so it'd be foolish to compare it to last year's just yet.

I certainly think we stand a better chance of promotion under Slade.
Posted by: toontown, June 8, 2017, 7:40pm; Reply: 32
Best of luck to Josh, real quality Cb for us at that level from the moment he arrived. Thanks so much for THAT pen!
Posted by: Marinerz93, June 8, 2017, 8:50pm; Reply: 33
Really glad Josh has got sorted and a decent club too. I'll never forget the professionalism or passion he showed whilst playing for us. Thanks for being one of the legends that got us out of the abyss and best of luck.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 9, 2017, 9:16am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Tommy

Youre missing the point.

Regardless of what you think about Gunning. We were no better or worse when he was in the team compared to when he wasn't. So what does that say about these guys whose place he was taking when he was in the team?

Gunning was just part of a problem made by Bignot not the cause of the problem, personally I would have selected Gowling ahead of him every week.

I can't see how Bignot ever perceived that a player who had been languishing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football after a chequered career to date would have added anything sensational to last seasons squad or ahead of a model pro like Josh, clearly he was "a signing for the future" that "future" being elsewhere.  

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 9, 2017, 9:23am; Reply: 35
All the best Josh!

Will never forget the clip of him celebrating in the dug out when Arnold scored THAT goal
Posted by: Garth, June 9, 2017, 9:26am; Reply: 36
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Gunning was just part of a problem made by Bignot not the cause of the problem, personally I would have selected Gowling ahead of him every week.

I can't see how Bignot ever perceived that a player who had been languishing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football after a chequered career to date would have added anything sensational to last seasons squad, clearly he was "a signing for the future" that "future" being elsewhere.  

Looking back on jt now Marcus and Gunning are two people that I want to eradicate completely from my memory.

Marcus because he was a know nothing bullsh1tter who just was not up to the job, and Gunning who also was out of his depth and stood in the way of Gowling, who in my mind was streets ahead of him.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 9, 2017, 9:28am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Garth

Looking back on jt now Marcus and Gunning are two people that I want to eradicate completely from my memory.

Marcus because he was a know nothing bullsh1tter who just was not up to the job, and Gunning who also was out of his depth and stood in the way of Gowling, who in my mind was streets ahead of him.

Same!
Posted by: rancido, June 9, 2017, 8:19pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Garth

It's easy to use Gunning as a stick to beat MB with but balance that signing with Osborne, Clements and Jones. All managers sign a howler but he was only signed to the end of the season.  
Posted by: rancido, June 9, 2017, 8:25pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I can't see how Bignot ever perceived that a player who had been languishing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football after a chequered career to date would have added anything sensational to last seasons squad or ahead of a model pro like Josh, clearly he was "a signing for the future" that "future" being elsewhere.  

A bit like Jones playing non-league one level below us or PH signing Tombola from an even lower level? When AB first came to GTFC he signed Tiltson, Cockrill and Keith Alexander who were all languishing in non-league football! They didn't turn out too bad if I recall.
Posted by: Grantley, June 9, 2017, 8:51pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from HertsGTFC

You don't like Bignot? You've never said.

Posted by: rancido, June 9, 2017, 9:00pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Garth

Who released Gowling at the end of the season? Surely if he was the kind of player needed for a promotion push to League 1, RS would have seen that and kept him?
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 9, 2017, 10:22pm; Reply: 42
I can't believe some of the shite that is posted on here at times. Anyone would think bignot was the next Newell and got us relegated again. In reality, it was one of the harshest, if not the harshest, sacking in the club's history. Non of us can truly know how he would've done and yet some people seem to hate him, it's pathetic.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, June 10, 2017, 11:19am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Mariner93er
I can't believe some of the shite that is posted on here at times. Anyone would think bignot was the next Newell and got us relegated again. In reality, it was one of the harshest, if not the harshest, sacking in the club's history. Non of us can truly know how he would've done and yet some people seem to hate him, it's pathetic.

I don't think anyone hates MB. I think a lot of people, myself included were disgusted with the way he handled the clubs senior pros, silly formations, getting rid of all the wingers..... I could continue.
MB's problem is that he tried to run before walking and that cost us a play-off place. Simple as that.
Posted by: Bigdog, June 10, 2017, 11:46am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

I don't think anyone hates MB. I think a lot of people, myself included were disgusted with the way he handled the clubs senior pros, silly formations, getting rid of all the wingers..... I could continue.
MB's problem is that he tried to run before walking and that cost us a play-off place. Simple as that.

Could you let us all know where we're going to finish next season so we can all have a big bet on it..
Posted by: oldun, June 10, 2017, 11:57am; Reply: 45
Not only did he run, but it seems he failed to take all the players with him.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 10, 2017, 11:58am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Bigdog

Could you let us all know where we're going to finish next season so we can all have a big bet on it..

15th
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 10, 2017, 12:14pm; Reply: 47
Cost us promotion? Wasn't his average points very similar to hursts?
Posted by: Bigdog, June 10, 2017, 12:53pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Mariner93er
Cost us promotion? Wasn't his average points very similar to hursts?

I know a lot of fans look at us only being nine points or so short of the play-offs, but looking at the manner of how we played under all three managers in a lot of games, I thought the points total we achieved was quite a few more than our performances deserved.

We were way off a play-off side.We beat a few of the top sides as a one-off but were way off the quality necessary to regularly play the bottom sides off the pitch.

I can think of less than ten games out of forty six where we played well and less than that when we dominated..

Edit.. Josh Gowling is an extremely good signing for Torquay.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 10, 2017, 2:31pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Have you never seen that game then? The defender grabbed his shirt. How do you win a penalty like that? Telekinesis? It's not like Josh ran in front of him and got tripped - he wasn't a cheat like that.
Posted by: rancido, June 11, 2017, 7:01pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner

MB was brought in on a brief that meant keeping League status this season, ie getting to 50 points. He did this so he achieved the first objective that he was given. He then started to put together the beginnings of a side that would challenge for promotion next season and to be fair he did bring in two or three players who could be instrumental in achieving that. His biggest mistake was ( certainly in the fans eyes ) was using the rest of the season to try experimental formations and utilising players in different roles for league games. This obviously upset some fans who could see a play-off place was within reach. Unfortunately he was sacked before he could implement his plans for next season so we will never know what other personnel he would have brought in and how the line-up would look. It is interesting to note that Wilko said in the GET that we are aiming for a play-off place next season! That to me is not good enough. We should be aiming for 50 points asap and a top three final position. It's almost as if he's saying we might get there next season but it might take longer so don't be too disappointed if it does take longer - which , to me, is a very negative approach.
Posted by: jaygy, June 11, 2017, 8:13pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Have you never seen that game then? The defender grabbed his shirt. How do you win a penalty like that? Telekinesis? It's not like Josh ran in front of him and got tripped - he wasn't a cheat like that.

You obviously wasn't in the pontoon against Lincoln when he punched away a goalboand shot at full stretch and got away with it then?  ;) ;D
Posted by: Garth, June 11, 2017, 8:14pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from rancido

MB was brought in on a brief that meant keeping League status this season, ie getting to 50 points. He did this so he achieved the first objective that he was given. He then started to put together the beginnings of a side that would challenge for promotion next season and to be fair he did bring in two or three players who could be instrumental in achieving that. His biggest mistake was ( certainly in the fans eyes ) was using the rest of the season to try experimental formations and utilising players in different roles for league games. This obviously upset some fans who could see a play-off place was within reach. Unfortunately he was sacked before he could implement his plans for next season so we will never know what other personnel he would have brought in and how the line-up would look. It is interesting to note that Wilko said in the GET that we are aiming for a play-off place next season! That to me is not good enough. We should be aiming for 50 points asap and a top three final position. It's almost as if he's saying we might get there next season but it might take longer so don't be too disappointed if it does take longer - which , to me, is a very negative approach.

Or in other words it seems to me he is being quietly confident as apposed to broadcasting bullsh1t
Posted by: rancido, June 12, 2017, 8:02am; Reply: 53
Quoted from Garth

Or in other words it seems to me he is being quietly confident as apposed to broadcasting bullsh1t

Yet when PH said he wanted a play-off place every season he was here, on here he was decried as not aiming high enough!
Posted by: monkeyboy, June 12, 2017, 8:55am; Reply: 54
Unless he can get shot of some of last seasons let downs and sign his own players i have no problem with the playoffs being the target.
With some of the dross we have in the squad that was put on 2 year contracts it will take time to clear the decks.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 12, 2017, 8:56am; Reply: 55
Is there anything official about this move yet. Still no mention on their OS.
Posted by: livosnose, June 13, 2017, 9:03pm; Reply: 56
Officially signed along with Pittman
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 3:30pm