Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, May 31, 2017, 1:28pm
Macca
Mills   Boyce   ?   Andrew
Osborne Clements Jones
Dembele Vernon Kelly

I reckon with the players we have go it will be 4-3-3 but who knows aha
Posted by: mariner91, May 31, 2017, 1:44pm; Reply: 1
DA isn't our player necessarily. Boyce is not good enough to be first choice . And that midfield would get completely overrun.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 31, 2017, 2:04pm; Reply: 2
I'd think more along the lines of:

Macca

Mils
?
DC
?

McAllister
Rose

Dembele
Jones
Osborne

?
Posted by: devs, May 31, 2017, 2:35pm; Reply: 3
Honestly feel that with these three signings 5/6 players cannot be certain of their places in team/squad or at the club

Three in and three out??

McAllister, Berrets, Summerfield, Clements, Osbourne, Browne

Seems to be going for real pace on flanks and solidity in centre midfield (with Rose box to box)

Berrets, Summerfield and Browne look surplus to me (last two not surprising seeing as they have been on loan)
Posted by: Chris Packit, May 31, 2017, 2:48pm; Reply: 4
Berets, Devs?  ;)
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 31, 2017, 3:15pm; Reply: 5
Why would Browne be surplus surely we need 4 wingers, which we now have. Still stupidly overloaded in the middle though.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 31, 2017, 3:42pm; Reply: 6
Are we? Clements, McAllister, Summerfield, Berrett, Osborne, Rose. I think we have one too many players there, need to ship one out probably Summerfield wouldn't call it "stupidly overloaded" though.

If we are to assume that Andrew is gone but DC has signed then we still need 2 centre halves, a left back and a striker, so still 4 more players.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 31, 2017, 4:07pm; Reply: 7
I'm guessing..

I think there could be seven or eight more to come in and maybe two or three out if Andrew and Collins are not signing..

A keeper, probably two (If we sign a new number one)

At least one left back (Mills can cover)

Three centre halves (Boyce fourth choice)

A wide player (As Sam Kelly looks like he plays centrally)

Two forwards (No manager would like only to be able add one striker to make his own stamp on the squad)

Two or three possibles to leave.. Summerfield, McKeown and a forward already under contract.

Just a hunch..

Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, May 31, 2017, 4:52pm; Reply: 8
If Summerfield was to leave it would free up a spot, especially considering we have enough CM cover IMO and he is not going to be in the XI regularly.
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 31, 2017, 5:01pm; Reply: 9
                  McKeown

Mills      _______   Collins?    Andrew?

Rose

Clements     Osbourne

Dembele                             Kelly

Jones
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 31, 2017, 5:17pm; Reply: 10
I've no problem with any of the three signings but at the moment we have Mills, Davies and Boyce as our defence and an average League 2 keeper.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 31, 2017, 5:18pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Mariner_09
Are we? Clements, McAllister, Summerfield, Berrett, Osborne, Rose. I think we have one too many players there, need to ship one out probably Summerfield wouldn't call it "stupidly overloaded" though.

If we are to assume that Andrew is gone but DC has signed then we still need 2 centre halves, a left back and a striker, so still 4 more players.

S.Jones and Clifton are also centre midfielders which means we have 8 players who can play in that position, ridiculous for a league 2 side.  For balance we should have two for each position so I wouldn't carry any more than 5 max. As a minimum we need to lose two of these players.
Posted by: GyMariner, May 31, 2017, 5:20pm; Reply: 12
                                               Mckeown

Mills           _____                 Collins?            _____

Mcallister                  Rose

Dembele                           Osbourne / Clements                     Kelly

______

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 31, 2017, 6:38pm; Reply: 13
Sorry can't see Kelly as an out and out pacy left winger and lets not forget Tombola I think he can get better his genuine pace upsets defences.
Posted by: MARINERSMAN22, May 31, 2017, 6:51pm; Reply: 14
Jones? Asante? Vernon? There's 3 players who can do a job upfront in rotation? We only need one more 'dynamic' striker to complement the new pacy signings? Even Dembele can go upfront then play Akheem or Bolarinwa on the flank?
Posted by: Hagrid, May 31, 2017, 6:59pm; Reply: 15
Macca will be staying at town from what i know, as number 1. Hopefully a summer of rest will do him good. We all like him, and desperately want him to do well
Posted by: Sussexmariner, May 31, 2017, 7:15pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Hagrid
Macca will be staying at town from what i know, as number 1. Hopefully a summer of rest will do him good. We all like him, and desperately want him to do well

I don't "like him" or particularly dislike him but there are better goalkeepers  out there. He let himself down with his attitude once he was dropped for Henderson unlike Pearson he threw his toys out the pram instantly and he'll do the same again if he ever gets dropped,  so get rid.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 31, 2017, 7:34pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I've no problem with any of the three signings but at the moment we have Mills, Davies and Boyce as our defence and an average League 2 keeper.

Same here, I think there is a lot still to do as follows,.

Keeper x 1 (2 if James gets the hump again)

Defenders x 4 (2 CBs, 1 LB, 1 Utility)

Strikers x 2 (at least)

and then we will need to address the challenge of off loading the one surplus to requirements.

Expect some activity at the start of next week as players return from their holidays and the season tickets go on sale.

Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 31, 2017, 7:59pm; Reply: 18
I think we need more than that at the back. Three centre backs (two if DC signs), and two left backs or a one left back and one left footed utility player.  Boyce would be my fourth choice centre back so I'd definitely like to see a mix of pace and physicality coming in, in that area.
Posted by: Freemoash88, May 31, 2017, 8:08pm; Reply: 19
Surely this thread is far too early not knowing whos going to leave and whos coming in and what formation we'll play. Can we atleast wait till mid preseason to see whats happening.
Posted by: Garth, May 31, 2017, 8:18pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I think we need more than that at the back. Three centre backs (two if DC signs), and two left backs or a one left back and one left footed utility player.  Boyce would be my fourth choice centre back so I'd definitely like to see a mix of pace and physicality coming in, in that area.

Hang on every time Boyce gets a chance in the team he always performs well IMO, and I suspect that Slade has been impressed in what he has seen,  unless we sign someone who effects the neck hairs I think he will be a regular next season alongside Collins
Posted by: ginnywings, May 31, 2017, 8:24pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Garth

Hang on every time Boyce gets a chance in the team he always performs well IMO, and I suspect that Slade has been impressed in what he has seen,  unless we sign someone who effects the neck hairs I think he will be a regular next season alongside Collins

Really? I thought he was a liability personally.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 31, 2017, 8:25pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Garth

I think Boyce will be right up there next season, park Colchester away where by his own admission and subsequent apology to the fans on social media he had a "mare" he was o.k.
Posted by: chaos33, May 31, 2017, 8:51pm; Reply: 23
I agree with Ginny. I think Boyce is a liability. Steady at best on a good day, he's not good enough to start in a L2 team that wants to fight for promotion. Put it this way - Pearson is better and he's been deemed 'not up to it'.
Posted by: Tommy, May 31, 2017, 9:03pm; Reply: 24
Agree with ginny and chaos
Posted by: Cloudy, May 31, 2017, 9:11pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Garth

I agree with chaos and Ginny but I think you will discover that Slade has been far from impressed
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 31, 2017, 9:14pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think Boyce will be right up there next season, park Colchester away where by his own admission and subsequent apology to the fans on social media he had a "mare" he was o.k.

Put it this way, if Hurst hadn't given Boyce a 2 year deal, Shaun Pearson would still be here.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 31, 2017, 9:18pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Put it this way, if Hurst hadn't given Boyce a 2 year deal, Shaun Pearson would still be here.

I'd agree with that, plus if he hadn't given Summerfield and Berrett two years, Dis might still be here.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 31, 2017, 9:25pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Tommy
Agree with ginny and chaos

Agree with Tommy, Cloudy, Ginny and Chaos..
Posted by: ginnywings, May 31, 2017, 9:28pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Cloudy

I agree with chaos and Ginny but I think you will discover that Slade has been far from impressed

And not just with him i've heard. RS and PW have been less than impressed with the standard of a few of the squad.
Posted by: heppy88, May 31, 2017, 9:56pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Bigdog

Agree with Tommy, Cloudy, Ginny and Chaos..

Got to say I agree with Tommy, Cloudy, Ginny, Chaos and Bigdog.

Posted by: Hagrid, May 31, 2017, 9:57pm; Reply: 31
I'll join in i agree with cloudy gunny chaos tommy bigdog and heppy
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 31, 2017, 9:59pm; Reply: 32
Got to say that I do not always agree with 99agrant, AdSense, Baidu Spider, BartonianMariner, benny_the_docker, Bigdog, codcheeky, GYinScuntland, GyMariner, Hagrid, heppy88, I Hate Chris Hollins, joanie298, louth_in_the_south, Madeleymariner, Mariner1972, Tommy, Cloudy, Ginny, Chaos Bigdog, Mariner93er, Mikoo, Poojah, Swansea_Mariner, The Old Codger, thefish, TimmyMarshall, Yahoo! Bot, Zmariner and 116 Guests But I do agree with them sometimes.   ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 31, 2017, 10:00pm; Reply: 33
Do we think he needs to try and ship Summerfield, Berrett and Yussuf out? I suppose he can try but whether budgets will allow is debatable.

Not sure he'll want shot of Berrett though, he was very good in the three games he played under Slade.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 31, 2017, 10:03pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Possibly,, and if he did not know that Collins will demand bigish money or 2 years to stay he may have kept Shaun too.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 31, 2017, 10:07pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Mariner_09

I'd agree with that, plus if he hadn't given Summerfield and Berrett two years, Dis might still be here.

Or if Bignot had not signed Jones, Osborne and Clements and any other "player for the future" or bench warmers/Injury risk players like Asante & Yousef.......... Its the total wage bill that's the issue as well
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 31, 2017, 10:09pm; Reply: 36
True, I must say though, had Hurst stuck around I think we might have made the play offs, he had us very solid and difficult to beat plus we had some flair with Omar and he seemed to get more out of Vose than anybody else.

I think the majority of the players he signed were decent but there were perhaps too many "can do a job" players given 2 year deals.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 31, 2017, 10:10pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Mariner_09
Do we think he needs to try and ship Summerfield, Berrett and Yussuf out? I suppose he can try but whether budgets will allow is debatable.

Not sure he'll want shot of Berrett though, he was very good in the three games he played under Slade.

What you say makes no sense why would "budgets" stop us shipping players out? The only way it will impact on the cash flow is if we pay up their contracts.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 31, 2017, 10:12pm; Reply: 38
We'd have to pay players off, not their full contract probably but we'd need it's all money and we haven't got a bottomless pit.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 31, 2017, 10:19pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Mariner_09
We'd have to pay players off, not their full contract probably but we'd need it's all money and we haven't got a bottomless pit.

Or have very clear conversations about how much they will feature which will mean they will have to make themselves available for loan or face not playing next season.

If a Prem player sits in the reserves and picks up the wages for a few months he will still get another club as he will still have Prem on his CV and a decent profile etc... if a league 2 player does this he will face the realistic danger of never being seen again as lots of players look for clubs in windows and if your not playing your at a massive disadvantage. So if your not in a managers plans it makes sense with regard to your mid term career to go out on loan, a couple of good examples of this at GTFC in recent years are Nathan Arnold and Dom Vose.    
Posted by: forza ivano, May 31, 2017, 11:06pm; Reply: 40
I agree with ffs
Posted by: Cloudy, June 1, 2017, 7:08am; Reply: 41
Quoted from ginnywings

And not just with him i've heard. RS and PW have been less than impressed with the standard of a few of the squad.

Very true and in some cases the 'fans favourites' fall in to that category!

They were certainly alarmed by the attitude and application in away games
Posted by: golfer, June 1, 2017, 8:54am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Mariner_09

And if he'd given Pearson a deal I'd still be here :)
Posted by: rancido, June 1, 2017, 2:25pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Or if Bignot had not signed Jones, Osborne and Clements and any other "player for the future" or bench warmers/Injury risk players like Asante & Yousef.......... Its the total wage bill that's the issue as well

Maybe MB wasn't such a clown after all ( like one or two posters on here have described him ) in signing these players as I can see them playing a big part in our promotion push next season.
Print page generated: April 30, 2024, 9:54am