Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, May 17, 2017, 4:42pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39951821
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 17, 2017, 4:47pm; Reply: 1
I guess it's to try and help clubs that finish (like Wrexham did in 11/12) tantalisingly close to automatic promotion.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 17, 2017, 6:47pm; Reply: 2
Why not just stick 2nd-17th and draw the teams like a cup competition?
Posted by: Garth, May 17, 2017, 7:02pm; Reply: 3
Had we still been in the National League we would have given it the nod, after all the most deserving team will win through in the end
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 17, 2017, 7:56pm; Reply: 4

Bit harsh if the team that finished 2nd loses in the final to the team that finished 7th.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 17, 2017, 9:17pm; Reply: 5
The years we finished 4th it would have meant we'd have to beat three teams to get through.

The one thing I do like is the 2nd and 3rd team get home advantage in a one-one game. Two legged games are often quite dull as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see it spreading upwards. The Premier League are bound to come up a Rugby-League style "Grand Final" at some stage to see who the real champion really is!
Posted by: toontown, May 17, 2017, 10:32pm; Reply: 6
Amazed but the conference is actually talking sense on this one - it means teams finishing higher up have more of an advantage that with the current system. an improvement I think, whilst keeping more teams involved in the promotion fight to the end of the season.
Posted by: gaz57, May 17, 2017, 10:37pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Garth
Had we still been in the National League we would have given it the nod, after all the most deserving team will win through in the end

It depends on if the ref doesn't want to spoil the game at any time.
Posted by: Youngy, May 17, 2017, 10:38pm; Reply: 8
The Super League used to do a similar play off system where the top placed team would get an automatic spot in the final. Like mentioned above, gives more incentive to finish as high as possible.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 17, 2017, 11:07pm; Reply: 9
Agree it's a better system than the old one. Gives more of a benefit to finishing second or third (which as only 1 goes up automatically is otherwise a bit of a pisser as Wrexham found out). And keeps the interests of mid-table clubs going a bit longer.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 17, 2017, 11:19pm; Reply: 10
its an improvement, I know some european leagues have some very complicated systems involving how many points difference there is between teams, and sometimes in that division something like that wouldve made sense as a team finishing second could be 1 point behind first but 20 points ahead of 3rd. Im just glad were out of that strange and difficult league
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 5:09pm