Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, May 16, 2017, 10:12pm
McDermott and Lee Mullin getting involved.

Disley will be next.

https://joshsmithjournalism.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/cleethorpes-dirctor-of-football-is-new-alfreton-town-manager/
Posted by: psgmariner, May 16, 2017, 10:14pm; Reply: 1
[https://twitter.com/smithjournalist/status/864562511340851201[/tweet]
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), May 16, 2017, 10:16pm; Reply: 2
Probably where the Disley link came from.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, May 16, 2017, 10:38pm; Reply: 3
IF True, congrats on Macca on getting his first managerial role.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 16, 2017, 10:54pm; Reply: 4
So the Man Utd fan who supported Grimsby Town and watched Clee Town is now backing Alfreton ???    ::)

Did i miss any teams out ?
Posted by: ginnywings, May 16, 2017, 11:06pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from moosey_club
So the Man Utd fan who supported Grimsby Town and watched Clee Town is now backing Alfreton ???    ::)

Did i miss any teams out ?

Grimsby Borough?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 16, 2017, 11:07pm; Reply: 6
Good appointment for Macca if true. And Dizzer would be a good choice. Hope it's not a flash in the pan though like Mr Mullin's previous football investment.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 16, 2017, 11:32pm; Reply: 7
Disley could play at that level with his eyes shut, an arm behind his back whilst really needing a dump.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 17, 2017, 6:12am; Reply: 8
Is the journo trying to suggest that the picture in the piece is Alfertons ground :)
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 17, 2017, 7:04am; Reply: 9
Why the fuckk would anyone from gy invest in alfreton ..
Posted by: Freemoash88, May 17, 2017, 8:37am; Reply: 10
I heard disley as player assistant manager and I got told JP Pitman could there also.
Posted by: LeeVanCleef, May 17, 2017, 9:23am; Reply: 11
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Not enough cash to invest at Manure, falling out of favour at Town, and a HUGE ego to massage.

Posted by: forza ivano, May 17, 2017, 9:30am; Reply: 12
that is going to be a very tough league again next year. alfreton, boston, salford, fc mufc, york, kiddy, stockport, nuneaton, telford, southport all going to be thinking theyve got a chance
Posted by: Ipswin, May 17, 2017, 9:49am; Reply: 13
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Because he's desperate to be a big fish (in a small pond) IMO
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 17, 2017, 10:25am; Reply: 14
Quoted from gtfc98
Removed

Beep beep, lawsuit alert!!!
Posted by: bluebottle, May 17, 2017, 10:39am; Reply: 15
Quoted from gtfc98
Removed

Hope you have the facts to back those statements up.
Posted by: Simariner, May 17, 2017, 10:45am; Reply: 16
Lee Mullen the turn coat....

Well.... he never was a GTFC fan anyway was he
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), May 17, 2017, 11:19am; Reply: 17
But he did put his money in.
Helped with promotion push.
Posted by: Pogo, May 17, 2017, 11:31am; Reply: 18
Macca/disley dress rehearsel for future town roles if they can make a name for themselves...?🤔
Posted by: Simariner, May 17, 2017, 12:12pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from 140067

The fans did......  #OperationPromotion
Posted by: Barrattstander, May 17, 2017, 1:36pm; Reply: 20
Are we about to become Alfreton's feeder club?

(lol)
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 17, 2017, 2:18pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Barrattstander
Are we about to become Alfreton's feeder club?

(lol)

Well our current recipients didn't fare too well did they  ;)
Posted by: Cloudy, May 17, 2017, 3:18pm; Reply: 22
Who the hell does Mullen think he is exactly. He is quoted on the Alfreton website as saying " I have arrived at the club to bring new investment, bring my knowledge of the game"

What knowledge of the game is that?

Cringeworthy
Posted by: acko338, May 17, 2017, 3:28pm; Reply: 23
Don't wind him up - we need to loan out some players to lower the squad numbers !!!
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 17, 2017, 3:52pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Cloudy
Who the hell does Mullen think he is exactly. He is quoted on the Alfreton website as saying " I have arrived at the club to bring new investment, bring my knowledge of the game"

What knowledge of the game is that?

Cringeworthy

How much did he win on the lottery ?

Was it 4 million if it was that could soon disappear with a small club with only a few fans.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 17, 2017, 4:23pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from bluebottle

Hope you have the facts to back those statements up.

Lets just say I don't believe the "My twitter account was hacked" bullsh*t.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, May 17, 2017, 4:38pm; Reply: 26
Alfreton will of course appreciate the investment. But to make them the force Mr. Mullen speaks of will require more money than he as unfortunately....

To coin a 'Fishy Phrase' maybe the bloke has found his level?
Posted by: bluebottle, May 17, 2017, 5:00pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from gtfc98

Lets just say I don't believe the "My twitter account was hacked" bullsh*t.

That's as maybe, but see that you have wisely removed your original post.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 17, 2017, 5:03pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from LeeVanCleef

Not enough cash to invest at Manure, falling out of favour at Town, and a HUGE ego to massage.

A*
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 17, 2017, 5:28pm; Reply: 29
Well that's the mascot looking for a new job then
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 17, 2017, 5:39pm; Reply: 30
I wonder if peoples view of him might change if the details of the current legal dispute are ever made public.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 17, 2017, 6:02pm; Reply: 31
What legal dispute?
Posted by: marinerjase, May 17, 2017, 6:08pm; Reply: 32
I reckon he'll be on the way to the poor house before long.
Posted by: golfer, May 17, 2017, 6:29pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from 140067

One day I will get the Euromillions up and then you will see how a true fan works. I will give full refunds to all S.T. holders and everyone over 65 will get a free matchday meal. Coaches will be laid on with free tickets to all away matches. I will try to get Wagner back to be our resident half time entertainment . I have contacts in the game so i am pretty sure I could entice Bignot back. My aim would be to give full satisfaction and trial BOGOF.
Posted by: Garth, May 17, 2017, 6:49pm; Reply: 34
[quote=129260]

One day I will get the Euromillions up and then you will see how a true fan works. I will give full refunds to all S.T. holders and everyone over 65 will get a free matchday meal. Coaches will be laid on with free tickets to all away matches. I will try to get Wagner back to be our resident half time entertainment . I have contacts in the game so i am pretty sure I could entice Bignot back. My aim would be to give full satisfaction and trial BOGOF.[/quo

Talks cheap! at least the Mullens walked the walk regarding putting money in, honestly would any of us do the same. no need for sh1t slinging,  good luck to them they were never part of the GTFC scene for whatever reason
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 17, 2017, 6:55pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from KingstonMariner
What legal dispute?

Is there not some legal action taking place? Didn't Mr Mullen put out a statement earlier in the season?
Posted by: Mendonca1995, May 17, 2017, 7:02pm; Reply: 36
Hahaha his footballing knowledge ffs my 11 year old lad knows more about football and town than he does !!!
Embarrassing
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 17, 2017, 7:22pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from golfer

One day I will get the Euromillions up and then you will see how a true fan works. I will give full refunds to all S.T. holders and everyone over 65 will get a free matchday meal. Coaches will be laid on with free tickets to all away matches. I will try to get Wagner back to be our resident half time entertainment . I have contacts in the game so i am pretty sure I could entice Bignot back. My aim would be to give full satisfaction and trial BOGOF.

If you really have to bring them both back we'd be better off with Wagner as the manager and Bignot as the half-time entertainment       ;D

Posted by: golfer, May 17, 2017, 8:02pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from promotion plaice

If you really have to bring them both back we'd be better off with Wagner as the manager and Bignot as the half-time entertainment       ;D

You mind your own business-it's my money :)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 17, 2017, 8:50pm; Reply: 39
Lets just say the Mullins never needed to put any money in a football club the fact is they did and it helped us get promoted back to the league should not be forgotten.

I never met them or know what happened between Fenty/board and Lee Mullins (don't really want to) but hold no grudge against him he was lucky enough to win a lot of money good luck to him can think of a lot better investments than a football club.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 17, 2017, 9:36pm; Reply: 40
Yes in fairness he put his money where his mouth was, nobody forced them to put money in and nor did they force them to give another £20k during Operation Promotion. I understand that that Twitter sage didn't help, but there is no way to prove or disprove that his account was hacked. Did I miss something on legal action? I seem to remember some carryings on last year.
Posted by: Alfie, May 17, 2017, 9:57pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Lets just say the Mullins never needed to put any money in a football club the fact is they did and it helped us get promoted back to the league should not be forgotten.

I never met them or know what happened between Fenty/board and Lee Mullins (don't really want to) but hold no grudge against him he was lucky enough to win a lot of money good luck to him can think of a lot better investments than a football club.

The GY curse strikes again!
Posted by: toontown, May 17, 2017, 10:46pm; Reply: 42
I am not going to complain about somebody who was good enough to help with putting money into the club and op promotion, he didnt have to do that. Gave a decent gesture of helping with funeral costs for a town fan as well didn't he (might be mistaken, seem to remember something like that). It would be more easy keep their money than give to these causes, so fair enough.
Posted by: Grim up north, May 17, 2017, 10:49pm; Reply: 43
Heard a rumour of Gowling and Disley to Alfreton but oddly nothing about Macca and Mullen . Also heard Barrow offer a good lump of wages to Pearson compared to his current deal , shame if he goes as I thought he's been quality this season.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 17, 2017, 11:00pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Is there not some legal action taking place? Didn't Mr Mullen put out a statement earlier in the season?

Damn! You didn't fall for my trap.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 17, 2017, 11:22pm; Reply: 45
Seems like we have another individual craving attention and affirmation through the medium of football.

I wonder if his wife will be bringing her own brand of skills and experience to the party too?
Posted by: Davec, May 18, 2017, 6:37am; Reply: 46
Well one day their money will dry up and they will be back where they was before they won the lottery, he's got more money than sense and if he doesn't invest his money into something that will make even more money then it will eventually run out
Posted by: fishyfanny, May 18, 2017, 7:38am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Davec
Well one day their money will dry up and they will be back where they was before they won the lottery, he's got more money than sense and if he doesn't invest his money into something that will make even more money then it will eventually run out

Would you mind giving me some financial advice sometime?
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 18, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 48
Quoted from Davec

Didn't hear many people saying this when he bought the team suits for Wembley, paid for accommodation, helped fund operation promotion, etc etc etc.

I do think the money/attention has definitely got to him. Now thinks he's something he's not.  But let's not suddenly forget he has helped the club and its supporters out financially.
Posted by: gtfc98, May 18, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 49
Quoted from bluebottle

That's as maybe, but see that you have wisely removed your original post.

I didn't remove the original post and I'm not sure why it has been. Is it illegal to suggest someone is a racist because a disgusting post appeared on their twitter profile and I don't buy their excuse that it was hacked?

Bloody hell OJ SImpson could have field day suing the whole world at that rate!
Posted by: forza ivano, May 18, 2017, 10:13am; Reply: 50
Quoted from gtfc98

I didn't remove the original post and I'm not sure why it has been. Is it illegal to suggest someone is a racist because a disgusting post appeared on their twitter profile and I don't buy their excuse that it was hacked?

Bloody hell OJ SImpson could have field day suing the whole world at that rate!

hope you've got a good lawyer. ;)

btw all this hate towards the mullins does seem a little mean spirited/small minded. he' was lucky to win his fortune and its entirely down to himas to how he spends his money. as far as i can tell he was a significant help in Operation Promotion and for that i thank him. i wonder if we would all be whiter than white (excuse the pun) if we found ourselves in similar circumstances? just a thought.......
Posted by: ginnywings, May 18, 2017, 10:39am; Reply: 51
I'm wondering how they got together and who initiated it. Is Macca part of the deal?

I don't know Lee Mullen and know nothing about him other than his involvement in Town, but it always strikes me as odd that people with money think that makes them knowledgeable on any given subject. I have no views on his involvement at Alfreton, but for him to say he is bringing his "knowledge of football and players" to them is quite funny, seeing as he was a director here for about 5 minutes.

Good luck to the chap all the same- it's good to see the smaller clubs prosper.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 18, 2017, 10:48am; Reply: 52
I sort of lost track of the Mullens story a while back. Has he completely cut all links with GTFC now then? Is he off the board/no longer a director? I presume this is the case, if he's investing in another football club.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 18, 2017, 10:52am; Reply: 53
Quoted from RichMariner
I sort of lost track of the Mullens story a while back. Has he completely cut all links with GTFC now then? Is he off the board/no longer a director? I presume this is the case, if he's investing in another football club.

Think he still has shares but isn't involved at the club any more. Could be wrong about that though.
Posted by: Garth, May 18, 2017, 11:21am; Reply: 54
Quoted from forza ivano

btw all this hate towards the mullins does seem a little mean spirited/small minded. he' was lucky to win his fortune and its entirely down to himas to how he spends his money. as far as i can tell he was a significant help in Operation Promotion and for that i thank him. i wonder if we would all be whiter than white (excuse the pun) if we found ourselves in similar circumstances? just a thought.......

Some of the negative posts on here regarding a guy who put money into our club when it was most needed says more about the posters than it does the Mullens, move on were better than that
Posted by: RichMariner, May 18, 2017, 11:58am; Reply: 55
What's the aim with Alfreton?

I mean, where could Mullens and his money realistically take them? What would success look like?
Posted by: Kris2, May 18, 2017, 12:20pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from forza ivano

Well I think there is part of it that always feels like jealousy, I'm not keen on these interrogations the club have done with people who say things they don't like on this board but I don't think that's all down to Mullins. The other half seems to just be this belief some have that everything that touches the club has to be local and always 100% a fan of GTFC and they can't think about anything else but GTFC and they have to live locally.
Posted by: Kris2, May 18, 2017, 12:22pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from RichMariner
What's the aim with Alfreton?

I mean, where could Mullens and his money realistically take them? What would success look like?

Are you on the Alfreton board interviewing Mullens? Otherwise this just sounds like a really weird thing to say lol.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 18, 2017, 12:31pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Kris2

Are you on the Alfreton board interviewing Mullens? Otherwise this just sounds like a really weird thing to say lol.

Haha! No, I'm not on the Alfreton board... suppose I've just been to too many interviews! But I'm genuinely interested in what Mullens, and all his footballing knowledge and experience, thinks is possible with that club.

What's in it for him? He's not going to make money from it. What's in it for the fans? A Conference club? A FL club?
Posted by: psgmariner, May 18, 2017, 12:40pm; Reply: 59
Fleetwood, Crawley, FGR all prove that if you use the money wisely you can make it in to the football league. Wouldn't be surprised if AFC Flyde join them next year.

If Alfreton get in to the football league he may see a return on his investment and will have had a lot of fun along the way. If I was a millionaire lottery winner I'd be tempted to have a go!
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, May 18, 2017, 12:53pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from forza ivano

In short I agree with you, 20k  was a great contribution but, as far as Operation Promotion went, did he make a significant contribution.... In my opinion, nah. The success of the campaign was down to the fans, lead my the Mariners Trust Board. Was he there during the long hours managing the campaign, creating all the things for fans to pledge for? Was he buggery.

His time and effort has been nothing compared to what other recent directors have in recent years. Yes 'he put his money where his mouth is' but so have other Directors, except they never shouted about it or bragged. Do I begrudge him his luck? No, I don't do the lottery so can't complain that I haven't won.
Posted by: barralad, May 18, 2017, 1:52pm; Reply: 61
I have no strong feelings either way about the Mullen? family.
It should be noted however that he stuck his head above the parapet before the start of Operation Promotion to pledge his wedge. Had it not been such a success (we had doubts initially about how much it could raise) we could' ve been thanking them for half the total raised. They also paid a lot of money for auctioned items. Above all perhaps their contribution raised us above the psychologically significant 100K point.
He is no longer involved at GTFC.  For me that is as far as it goes.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 18, 2017, 3:19pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from psgmariner
Fleetwood, Crawley, FGR all prove that if you use the money wisely you can make it in to the football league. Wouldn't be surprised if AFC Flyde join them next year.

If Alfreton get in to the football league he may see a return on his investment and will have had a lot of fun along the way. If I was a millionaire lottery winner I'd be tempted to have a go!

Absolutely! It'll be an adventure for him I'm sure - but it'll be a tough division to get out of. There's a surprising amount of money down there. Salford aren't short of a bob or two, and Harrogate are strongly funded (and about to go full time). Kiddy, Stockport and Darlington will be challenging for promotion too.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 1:52pm