Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 935 (Guest), May 15, 2017, 1:17pm
Maybe mentioned elsewhere but have been speaking to some rotherham fans who think he will be signing for them in the next week or so...

Could be totally wrong of course.
Posted by: acko338, May 15, 2017, 3:16pm; Reply: 1
Why on earth would he go there?

Surely not for football reasons?

I just hope we have made him a good offer to stay here as he was easily the mist consistent player over the full season and exactly tbe type we need for any promotion oush !
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 15, 2017, 3:29pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from acko338
Why on earth would he go there?

Surely not for football reasons?

I just hope we have made him a good offer to stay here as he was easily the mist consistent player over the full season and exactly tbe type we need for any promotion oush !

Probably because they can afford to pay him a lot more than we can as an ex-Championship club!
Posted by: Cloudy, May 15, 2017, 3:31pm; Reply: 3
More money, higher level, similar travelling time from Holbeach. Not difficult really
Posted by: mimma, May 15, 2017, 3:41pm; Reply: 4
We can't match their wages unfortunately.  It's just the way it is, we've stood still for the past 15 years, they've moved on.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, May 15, 2017, 4:51pm; Reply: 5
I would think its difficult for us to sign any 'better' experienced players than what we have already from the championship or L! other than younger players unlucky to have been released which some on here have referred to already as the managers target. Non league players (including L2 players now relegated)are our natural market (in the food chain) as on the whole we can offer the FT terms and therefore more than they are getting already.

In both cases their is high risk and we are relying on our managers/coaches ability to spot talent where others cant and dare not risk it.

When we are in our new stadium and in L1 with bigger crowds we can raid the L2 teams and pick up a decent experienced championship player who has been released. :)
Posted by: Chris Packit, May 15, 2017, 5:27pm; Reply: 6
Dare one say 'Well done' to Paul Hurst for signing him in the first place?
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 15, 2017, 5:38pm; Reply: 7
Yes I will, he had the bottle to sign a player who'd be injured for 2 years off and on.

Likewise I gave a lot of the credit for Omar to Hurst, he identified him as a talent the season before when he tried to sign him the first time.
Posted by: hheh2, May 15, 2017, 6:07pm; Reply: 8
98% sure he will be with us next season
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 15, 2017, 6:08pm; Reply: 9
You would imagine that looking at the amount of games he played before he arrived he would have not been on top money so other clubs could tempt him quite easily.

Do we expect any activity this week on the signings/arrivals front I wonder?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 15, 2017, 6:09pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from hheh2

Based upon?
Posted by: jimgtfc, May 15, 2017, 6:21pm; Reply: 11
Heavily linked with Donny on Twitter
Posted by: Mariners_15, May 15, 2017, 6:47pm; Reply: 12
Donny link doesn't surprise me, was thinking if going there was a possibility a few weeks back, still fairly local and him and Ferguson know each other from their Posh days..
Posted by: Mendonca1995, May 15, 2017, 7:04pm; Reply: 13
I don't thank hurst one bit the way he handled bogle he wasn't even first Choice beginning of the season !!!! Yes fair play for signing him but bogle wasn't just picked out of the blue,clubs knew about him from the lower leagues and he had a lot of interest in him
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 15, 2017, 7:07pm; Reply: 14
Yes but Hurst identified him as a talent and tried to sign him a year before we did!
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 15, 2017, 7:11pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from hheh2

Based on what ?
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 15, 2017, 7:16pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mariner_09
Yes but Hurst identified him as a talent and tried to sign him a year before we did!

I thought the Fishy identified him first the same with Vardy when he was at Halifax,

On that occasion Scott said he was not on our radar,

So Hurst did not want to make the same mistake twice.
Posted by: chaos33, May 15, 2017, 7:20pm; Reply: 17
I think you'll find it was somebody else at GTFC who identified and pursued Bogle
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 15, 2017, 7:21pm; Reply: 18
If rumours are to be believed we tried to sign Andre Gray and Jamie Vardy.  

What I mean about Bogle is, we tried to sign him when he'd only scored 18 goals in the Conference North and nobody had heard of him.
Posted by: chaos33, May 15, 2017, 7:27pm; Reply: 19
But it wasn't Hurst that wanted him at that stage so no point in asking for credit for him. Interesting to note that Hurst didn't really rate Podge either. He might be good at some things, but picking a good striker ain't one of them.
Posted by: Grantley, May 15, 2017, 7:31pm; Reply: 20
So he scored 18 goals at Conference North level and NO ONE had heard of him?
Posted by: scrumble, May 15, 2017, 7:38pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from mimma
We can't match their wages unfortunately.  It's just the way it is, we've stood still for the past 15 years, they've moved on.

By 'moved on' you mean ran up a shed load of debts, and then gone into admin half a dozen times.
Posted by: fleabag1970, May 15, 2017, 7:47pm; Reply: 22
If 300k a month is being pumped in up the m180 the mind boggles at the state of the lower leagues . Relatively speaking its no better the the championship .
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 15, 2017, 7:59pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from chaos33
But it wasn't Hurst that wanted him at that stage so no point in asking for credit for him. Interesting to note that Hurst didn't reallocate Podge either. He might be good at some things, but picking a good striker ain't one of them.

Might not have signed them if "reports" are to be believed but he selected them, one ended up joint top scorer in the NL in 15/16 and was voted NL POTY and the others goals secured the POs and ultimately within 18 months turned a 50K investment into £1 million plus income. One of the Fishy's 10 commandments  is though "Thou shall not praise Hurst".
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, May 15, 2017, 8:12pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Mariners_15
Donny link doesn't surprise me, was thinking if going there was a possibility a few weeks back, still fairly local and him and Ferguson know each other from their Posh days..

I think he's played for Scunny boss Graham Alexander at Fleetwood too.........
Posted by: chaos33, May 15, 2017, 10:14pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Might not have signed them if "reports" are to be believed but he selected them, one ended up joint top scorer in the NL in 15/16 and was voted NL POTY and the others goals secured the POs and ultimately within 18 months turned a 50K investment into £1 million plus income. One of the Fishy's 10 commandments  is though "Thou shall not praise Hurst".

JF gets the credit for the Bogle capture and sale. Hurst left him out the team half the time. Hurst signed Podge but evidently didn't think he was good enough to bother about once we'd returned to L2. He was wrong. Still, Tomlinson was good wasn't he.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 15, 2017, 10:19pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from chaos33

JF gets the credit for the Bogle capture and sale. Hurst left him out the team half the time. Hurst signed Podge but evidently didn't think he was good enough to bother about once we'd returned to L2. He was wrong. Still, Tomlinson was good wasn't he.

So are we saying the JF went shopping and just turned up at BP and told PH he'd " bought Bogle deal with it" Abramvich style?

Tomlinson was sh1t Palmer was ok though.
Posted by: golfer, May 16, 2017, 7:49am; Reply: 27
I think you will find a lot of our good signings were first spotted on The Fishy before the managers got out of bed. The Fishy should be thanked for bringing these players to the managers attention-we didn't spot Strakers "legs" if I remember rightly'from the video,though..
Posted by: codcheeky, May 16, 2017, 8:20am; Reply: 28
Quoted from golfer
I think you will find a lot of our good signings were first spotted on The Fishy before the managers got out of bed. The Fishy should be thanked for bringing these players to the managers attention-we didn't spot Strakers "legs" if I remember rightly'from the video,though..

Utter nonsense
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 16, 2017, 8:30am; Reply: 29
Rubbish, when did this board suggest we sign Amond, Tait, Magnay, Andrew, Mills, Pearson, Gowling, Collins, Townsend, Arnold, Nolan, McKeown, Clay and John Lewis.

I admit that we advocate the signings of Toto, Hearn and others but that was the first we'd heard of most of those players.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 16, 2017, 8:53am; Reply: 30
Lighten up chaps, he's pulling your p1sser.

As for our situation, it's been a week and none of those offered new deals have signed yet. Don't know if that is significant.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 16, 2017, 9:08am; Reply: 31
Quoted from ginnywings

As for our situation, it's been a week and none of those offered new deals have signed yet. Don't know if that is significant.

I think that happens every season, theres probably a deadline and standard procedure is to wait it out just incase something significant comes through, I dont think its disrespectful to the club because to be fair you could be a bigger league 1 clubs third choice signing and their other targets fall through and they panic and offer you a contract to make sure they get you, could end up on like three times your wage and I don't think you can blame anyone for maxxing out their deadline just incase
Posted by: oldun, May 16, 2017, 9:10am; Reply: 32
Existing contracts still in place, to the end of June, I think.
Posted by: Grantley, May 16, 2017, 9:20am; Reply: 33
Nothing golfer says is ever serious so I don't know why people still rise to it.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 16, 2017, 9:51am; Reply: 34
Players contracts run out the end of June so they know there is no rush to sign,

The ones who do not want to move will sign soon,

The others will wait and see if any better offers come in,

The club might have put a deadline on signing so if they do not sign by a certain date the offer is withdrawn

Whatever happens I trust Slade to bring in some players that are at least as good or better,

Early days yet.
Posted by: Maringer, May 16, 2017, 9:53am; Reply: 35
They'll all be sipping pina coladas on the beach somewhere, surely?
Posted by: ginnywings, May 16, 2017, 10:08am; Reply: 36
I just thought Pearson in particular would sign, he has always been keen in the past. Him and Diz were usually first to commit but i forgot about being in the league and contracts running until the end of June. In the past, they ended when the season ended, so not the same pressure now as there was.
Posted by: golfer, May 16, 2017, 10:13am; Reply: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

:) :) :)

It seems pretty clear that they haven't been offered good enough terms. Obviously we will have given them a deadline so before that expires they will be waiting to see if anything better transpires'  You can't blame them-sentiment never arises on either side which has been proven many times-last summer was an example with regards to Arnold and Amond -players need to put bread on the table. We want them so we should be showing them what they are worth to us before it is too late.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, May 16, 2017, 10:38am; Reply: 38
How do you know he, or anyone else hasn't signed already? The club can choose to disclose the info whenever they wish.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 16, 2017, 10:47am; Reply: 39
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
How do you know he, or anyone else hasn't signed already? The club can choose to disclose the info whenever they wish.

That could easily be the case Mark.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 16, 2017, 10:51am; Reply: 40
Quoted from golfer

:) :) :)

It seems pretty clear that they haven't been offered good enough terms. Obviously we will have given them a deadline so before that expires they will be waiting to see if anything better transpires'  You can't blame them-sentiment never arises on either side which has been proven many times-last summer was an example with regards to Arnold and Amond -players need to put bread on the table. We want them so we should be showing them what they are worth to us before it is too late.

That's my hunch too. They used the words "in negotiations" on MP regarding Pearson and Davies. It does feel a bit like the Arnold and Amond situation from last year.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 8:49am