Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 12, 2017, 11:27am
Not that it really affects us anymore thankfully but next season there is talk of a shake up in The National League when the team finishing 7th could have a chance of being promoted.

Under the new rules proposed the teams finishing 2nd and 3rd would qualify automatically for the semi-finals with the team finishing 4th playing the 7th placed team with 5th and 6th playing each other for the right to play in the semi-final.
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 12, 2017, 11:35am; Reply: 1
So a play off to get into a play off. What a urine take.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 12, 2017, 11:56am; Reply: 2
Why not extrapolate that out do thst2 you could be relegated and promoted in the same season
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 12, 2017, 11:59am; Reply: 3
In the defence of the Conference, which I'm not fond of dishing out considering how it's generally run, they're limited with what they can do.

Football League won't vote for 3 up, 3 down so they can either do two automatic places or 1 automatic and play-offs for the 2nd down to 5th team.  Neither really do a lot to ensure you get that situation where anyone in the top half still has a chance of promotion in March, or even like in our league this season where it goes down to the final day.
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 12, 2017, 12:32pm; Reply: 4
It just leaves a situation were 1st and 7th could get promoted, which is just stupid. It reminds me of Portugal winning the euros without winning a group game, and not winning in 90 mins in the whole tournament, who teams put in such performances and justifiably be rewarded.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 12, 2017, 1:03pm; Reply: 5
Judging by the Checkatrade vote I'd wager that the Football League clubs would vote for something like this should it come to it. Anything that maintains interest will keep crowds going and that equates to money in the coffers.

The play-offs themselves as they stand are grossly unfair and I remember people thinking it was a joke in the 80s when they first came in. But we've all got used to them now!
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 12, 2017, 1:18pm; Reply: 6
I have no interest in what the conference wants to do,

It does not concern us and I hope it will never concern us ever .
Posted by: buckstown, May 12, 2017, 8:07pm; Reply: 7
The play offs are an amazing development and have added huge interest to the end of the season (league 2 this year, the team in 12th could have qualified) Given that only one team goes up automatically this sounds like a great idea.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 12, 2017, 8:09pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from grimsby pete

Pull the ladder up Pete......

our time in the conference was refreshing in some ways, some genuine people down there at the smaller clubs who go way and beyond in support of their clubs...heaven forbid we should ever go back but anything that might make it easier to return if we do gets my vote.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 12, 2017, 8:09pm; Reply: 9
Glad this wasn't in place last season!
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 12, 2017, 8:17pm; Reply: 10

I always thought it was right that only two teams drop out of the Football League, even when we were in the National League      8)
Posted by: GrimRob, May 12, 2017, 9:47pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from grimsby pete

Of course it concerns us. It's one division below us, we're one bad season away from it. I feel as strongly as ever that there should be 3 up 3 down. It's far too difficult to get out of, and there are plenty of good teams building up in the National League, and the two divisions below are steadily improving as well.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 12, 2017, 10:12pm; Reply: 12
To right Grim Wrexham have found it almost impossible to escape and it as cost them big time.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 12, 2017, 11:39pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
To right Grim Wrexham have found it almost impossible to escape and it as cost them big time.

I agree. 3 up 3 down would be fair.

Wrexham have been down there a long time now. 9 years? Of all the clubs down there, they're the ones I'd most like to see back.
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 13, 2017, 12:04am; Reply: 14
Especially when you consider they had a couple of seasons were they finished on over 90 points, and lost in the playoffs.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 13, 2017, 1:35am; Reply: 15
Considering that the resources of quite a few National League clubs extend further than more than a few league 2 clubs then 3 up 3 down makes sense, don't hold your breath though.  

The "2 up" system was based upon a time when most clubs in the top tier of non league where semi pro and going full time would have been too much of a stretch. Some of the owners in the EFL could learn lessons from owners in the NL who are guardians of their clubs rather than using a club for their own personal gains.  
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 13, 2017, 8:13am; Reply: 16
I still agree with three up three down.  The Conference is a much better League than it was when 2 up, 2 down was conceived.  Luton, Leyton Orient, Cambridge, us, Bristol Rovers, Tranmere, Wrexham, Lincoln; all traditional football clubs with good followings that have done (or are still doing) time down there.  There are also some good clubs coming up with professional set-ups who could boast a better fan-base than some league clubs.

The Conference is a division 5 in all but name and clubs who have a bad season in League 2 don't deserve banishment without a fair chance to get back.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 13, 2017, 8:44am; Reply: 17
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Considering that the resources of quite a few National League clubs extend further than more than a few league 2 clubs then 3 up 3 down makes sense, don't hold your breath though.  

The "2 up" system was based upon a time when most clubs in the top tier of non league where semi pro and going full time would have been too much of a stretch. Some of the owners in the EFL could learn lessons from owners in the NL who are guardians of their clubs rather than using a club for their own personal gains.  

Like Dale Vince?? ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 13, 2017, 9:55am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Cloudy

Like Dale Vince?? ;)

Nah I would not go that far, don't get the bit about using your club to promote a green agenda.  
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 7:32pm