Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: hheh2, May 10, 2017, 1:06pm
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/862218689118171138
Posted by: barrattstandman, May 10, 2017, 1:16pm; Reply: 1
The red card waiting man has gone then . Actually he only had 1 previous red card in his 165 league games along with 32 bookings.
Posted by: Kris2, May 10, 2017, 1:18pm; Reply: 2
The nutcase has left the building.
Posted by: Kris2, May 10, 2017, 1:20pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from barrattstandman
The red card waiting man has gone then . Actually he only had 1 previous red card in his 165 league games along with 32 bookings.

And somehow with us between January and April he managed 6 yellow cards and 1 red. He got a card in half the games he played for us,sort of surprised he didn't get sent off on a couple of other occasions for the most blatant fouls ever.
Posted by: mariners1, May 10, 2017, 1:38pm; Reply: 4
Don't think there will be many who think he should have stayed.
I'd also say tjay in my opinion he was a cheat, exagerating challenges to get fouls a cards for opponents.
I hate opposition players like that and don't want players like that on our team
Posted by: oldun, May 10, 2017, 1:41pm; Reply: 5
Comedian is his true profession, he could be very good.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 10, 2017, 1:51pm; Reply: 6
He's gone now, so wouldn't a simple good luck suffice?
Posted by: Bigdog, May 10, 2017, 2:20pm; Reply: 7
Thanks for your efforts Gavin. You may not have been the standard we need, you may not have had enough chances in your favoured position.

One thing you did do though, was show us that we need more players that are not prepared to be bullied out of games..
Posted by: golfer, May 10, 2017, 2:31pm; Reply: 8
Don't think we should be taking the pisse out of a bloke who has just got sacked-we can always leave that to Garth. Nobody can say he didn't give 100% in every game-not like one or two who played this season. If everybody tries to play to the best of their ability nobody can grumble,admittedly he wasn't everybodies cup of tea but I liked the guy.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 10, 2017, 2:31pm; Reply: 9
No need for all the sarcasm he did what he was told to do, could not fault the mans effort or commitment good luck Gavin.  
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 10, 2017, 2:42pm; Reply: 10
I blame the weather.

Suns out.
Gunns out 💪😉
Posted by: acko338, May 10, 2017, 5:07pm; Reply: 11
There was a player in there somewhere that didn't show up in the time here.

Like some others, flashes of good play covered over with the potential to be sent off in several games.

Don't think he was fighting weight fit, no pun intended !!

Good luck wherever you end up - hope we pick better next year.
Posted by: jimgtfc, May 10, 2017, 5:20pm; Reply: 12
He was a strange signing for me, a left footed centre half when Danny Collins was one of our more consistent performers, and for me MB seemed to want to justify bringing him in by shoehorning him into the team somehow, whether it be as part of a back 3 or in front of the back 4. I actually think if he'd have been played regularly in his best position he might have made a different impression on us all. As it is though he'll probably be remembered as a rash signing who played in a rash way and made little impression.

Thanks for your efforts though Gav, and good luck.
Posted by: Garth, May 10, 2017, 5:24pm; Reply: 13
Good Luck Gavin, you were never work shy but thats it
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 10, 2017, 5:34pm; Reply: 14
He was playing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football for a reason.

Just thought he never lived up to the billing he got from Bignot to be honest
Posted by: Cloudy, May 10, 2017, 5:40pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from golfer
Don't think we should be taking the pisse out of a bloke who has just got sacked.

Bit dramatic!

He hasn't been sacked, his contract finished. Happens thousands of time every week in the construction industry, a contract comes to an end, you move on to a different site
Posted by: Abdul19, May 10, 2017, 6:53pm; Reply: 16
The high point was this:

https://twitter.com/TwoLPhill/status/830797098702479362
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 10, 2017, 6:55pm; Reply: 17
Unlucky Gav, all the best for the future.
Posted by: Kris2, May 10, 2017, 6:56pm; Reply: 18
He didn't die he's just not getting a new contract with us so you don't have to suddenly pretend he was a great player for us and a stand up guy who didn't try to injure players in several games.

All this board has done is slag him off and suddenly now everyone is like "Yeah if you slag him off you're an anus, good luck to our brave angel who should have been offered a new deal because he was an amazing player"
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 10, 2017, 7:21pm; Reply: 19
I think the word is RESPECT Kris, no one said he was a world beater but sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Not sure even Gunning knew  what his role was to be honest and that was down to Bignot imho.

All the best Gavin we move on.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 10, 2017, 7:33pm; Reply: 20
So let me just quantify this

We currently have 13 players contracted:

McKeown
Mills
Boyce
Clements
Summerfield
McAllister
Berrett
Bolarinwa
Browne
Jones
Asante
Yussuf
Vernon

We want to keep 4 more:

Andrew
Pearson
Davies
Collins

Plus 1 youth

Clifton

That leaves us needing 5 or 6 new players unless some can be shipped out for free transfers. These targets presumably include (assuming everyone signs, which they won't) at least one winger, another striker, another centre half and a utility defender.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 10, 2017, 7:41pm; Reply: 21
You forgot Osborne. 15 players including Clifton.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 10, 2017, 7:45pm; Reply: 22
Cheers Ginny, only 4 or 5 players then.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 10, 2017, 7:49pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Mariner_09
Cheers Ginny, only 4 or 5 players then.

If the other 4 sign, then we will have 19 contracted players including Clifton. Slade said he wants 22 plus one or two youth players, so that leaves room for four more senior players in that scenario. I think some of those contracted will be surplus to requirements and eased out to free up some more slots.
Posted by: newarkmariner, May 10, 2017, 7:53pm; Reply: 24
Thankyou Gavin for your efforts,ok you wasn't everyones cup of tea,you were made to be a scape goat by some,you were played out of position time and time again,however you always gave everything for the shirt and never shirked a challenge,you was my motm at accy Stanley, was solid as a rock in Blackpool and the clearance from under our bar against Mansfield when the score was 0-0 was brilliant,i wish you all the very best in the next chapter of your life.goodluck big man
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 10, 2017, 9:08pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from HertsGTFC
He was playing in the 2nd tier of Scottish football for a reason.

Just thought he never lived up to the billing he got from Bignot to be honest

Bignot didn't live up to the billing he got from Bignot either!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), May 10, 2017, 9:40pm; Reply: 26
Still haven't worked the lad out. He could have been a legend, then again he could have been proper shite! A loony we haven't seen for many a year. Never ever a defensive midfielder and I would challenge Marcus Bignot and indeed Russell Slade to explain why they thought he had any attributes at all to play there (vision, acceleration, range of passes, discipline, tackling). I think he is more of a hatchet man centre back, the type that slices clearances over the upper Findus.

Good luck Gav, you absolute mad man.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 10, 2017, 9:59pm; Reply: 27
At least he didn't clear the Findus, on the volley, from the Osmond end penalty spot!

Who can remember who that was?
Posted by: gtfc82, May 10, 2017, 10:22pm; Reply: 28
Good riddance to bad rubbish!
Posted by: RichMariner, May 10, 2017, 10:29pm; Reply: 29
He came highly rated by the Morton fans. They all said we'd signed a class act (when playing centre half, might I add).

I know we can always argue about the relative qualities of the Scottish second tier against L2, but I don't remember how many times we actually played him at centre back.

I think he was a victim of MB's recruitment regime. He was signed because we were able to get him, not because we needed him.

It was an unnecessary signing, on reflection, but it's always easy to say these things in hindsight.

Good luck, Gav. Make sure your next club wants you, needs you, and promises to play you week in, week out, in your favoured position, if you want to re-establish yourself in the FL.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 10, 2017, 10:33pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from RichMariner
He came highly rated by the Morton fans. They all said we'd signed a class act (when playing centre half, might I add).

I know we can always argue about the relative qualities of the Scottish second tier against L2, but I don't remember how many times we actually played him at centre back.

I think he was a victim of MB's recruitment regime. He was signed because we were able to get him, not because we needed him.

It was an unnecessary signing, on reflection, but it's always easy to say these things in hindsight.

Good luck, Gav. Make sure your next club wants you, needs you, and promises to play you week in, week out, in your favoured position, if you want to re-establish yourself in the FL.

The only comment that i recall from north of the border was something along the lines of...

" he's awesome...he can header it for miles " .....as soon as i read that i thought ...sh1t ......and nothing he did while he was here changed my initial thought.
Posted by: Kris2, May 11, 2017, 12:14am; Reply: 31
Quoted from RichMariner

Should have asked the Dundee fans what they thought of him lol, they gave several warnings on twitter about his weird behaviour on and off the pitch.
Posted by: Kris2, May 11, 2017, 12:19am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
I think the word is RESPECT Kris, no one said he was a world beater but sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Not sure even Gunning knew  what his role was to be honest and that was down to Bignot imho.

All the best Gavin we move on.

Lol none of you are innocent in this, he had the support of maybe 5% of the forum before we knew he was going. I don't think Gunning knew what game he was playing nevermind his role, he probably thought he was playing ice hockey the amount of times he elbowed people and took people out.
Posted by: oldun, May 11, 2017, 8:29am; Reply: 33
Quoted from oldun
Comedian is his true profession, he could be very good.

I am not being disrespectful. Gavin seems to be a very passionate funny man.  Probably hilarious off the field. As far as football is concerned we need more than blood and guts. Good luck Gav
Posted by: Garth, May 11, 2017, 8:32am; Reply: 34
Quote from Rich Mariner

Hell of a lot of truth in that, MB saw it as a feather in his cap and once on the books had to find a place for him in the team at any costs even at the detriment of others.
Posted by: toontown, May 11, 2017, 3:05pm; Reply: 35
Agree with this. MB signed his because he could, not because he was needed. Same with Maxwell.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 11, 2017, 3:12pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from RichMariner

"I think he was a victim of MB's recruitment regime. He was signed because we were able to get him, not because we needed him" - exactly, good point!

Don't know too much about it in detail but looking at the amount of former NL league players now in the Scotish Prem I reckon the 2nd tier in Scotland is lower NL level at best.

Posted by: rancido, May 11, 2017, 8:23pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Garth
Quote from Rich Mariner

Hell of a lot of truth in that, MB saw it as a feather in his cap and once on the books had to find a place for him in the team at any costs even at the detriment of others.

I don't think MB saw Gunning signing as a " feather in his cap " at all otherwise why did he only sign him to the end of the season? I think his signing was to assess him until the end of the season because he had become available sooner than expected and indeed MB did say they had him in their sights for signing in the summer.  IMO I think he saw Gunning as a CB who could double up as a defensive mid-fielder if needed. This is the same as Jones who he signed as an attacking mid-fielder but could also play the striker role.
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 4:26am